Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:27   #16
BANNED

Re: My Red Chevrolet Beat Diesel!

Thanks SunilM. It's been now over 1600Kms of driving and tomorrow our Red Chevy Beat Diesel will turn One Month Old.

Currently no issues and no conerns. BTW I frequently go to Karnal in Haryana and find this beauty very popular.
Old 8th May 2012, 11:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapursaket View Post
Thanks SunilM. It's been now over 1600Kms of driving and tomorrow our Red Chevy Beat Diesel will turn One Month Old.

Currently no issues and no conerns. BTW I frequently go to Karnal in Haryana and find this beauty very popular.

Hi kapursaket,

Can you please update how your beat-d is doing now. Have you had to visit the service center for any issues and if so, how was the experience? How is it performing in the highways especially at speeds >100 km/h
Old 10th May 2012, 20:51   #18
MAS
Senior - BHPian

+1 to Vinu's request

I had requested the dealer for test driving a car which has run atleast 5K kms. But, the guys gave me a new car which had run for 300 odd kms. I guess it was their new test drive car.

As some of my friends doubt the long term reliability of the 1 litre oil burner from Chevy, your feedback would help us to put such doubts to rest.
Old 10th May 2012, 20:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Hi kapursaket,

Can you please update how your beat-d is doing now. Have you had to visit the service center for any issues and if so, how was the experience? How is it performing in the highways especially at speeds >100 km/h
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
+1 to Vinu's request

I had requested the dealer for test driving a car which has run atleast 5K kms. But, the guys gave me a new car which had run for 300 odd kms. I guess it was their new test drive car.

As some of my friends doubt the long term reliability of the 1 litre oil burner from Chevy, your feedback would help us to put such doubts to rest.
I dont have a diesel Beat but I know another BHpian's diesel which has run 20k in just 7 months without a single hiccup! Only a recent puncture was the trouble the little car gave.

Last edited by superutp : 10th May 2012 at 20:57.
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 21:14   #20
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I dont have a diesel Beat but I know another BHpian's diesel which has run 20k in just 7 months without a single hiccup! Only a recent puncture was the trouble the little car gave.
Thanks Superup. I was worried if the vibrations of the three pot would creep up with kms on the odo. As I will keep the car for atleast 7 years (being a second car in the family), I just want to be sure.

OT: Hope your Beat is doing well after the unfortunate accident. How are the spare part prices. I know Chevy was trying hard to get the spare prices down.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 21:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Thanks Superup. I was worried if the vibrations of the three pot would creep up with kms on the odo. As I will keep the car for atleast 7 years (being a second car in the family), I just want to be sure.

OT: Hope your Beat is doing well after the unfortunate accident. How are the spare part prices. I know Chevy was trying hard to get the spare prices down.
After driving a petrol Beat all the time, even the normal Diesel vibration feels like a major vibration to me

Wouldn't like to comment on the reliability of the diesel since I don't own one however at 20k the car felt as good as new. No rattles and impressive built quality. The original Goodyears don't seem to be the best however they can be easily replaced.

Thanks for asking about my Black Metal. She is at a body shop getting a touch up. Spare parts weren't required since the damage can be repaired through hammering and repainting. Only thing is that the whole rear bumper and the entire panel adjacent to the rear bumper need to be repainted which brings the costs up. Chevy quoted 8k+taxes. The place I am getting it done will cost 6k in total.
Old 13th May 2012, 23:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
How is it performing in the highways especially at speeds >100 km/h
Even I have the same question? How is the highway performance of the diesel? The high speed handling manners,top speed achieved,steering response of the electronic unit et al.

Its a great looking car,specially the interiors are something to drool at in that segment.
Old 20th May 2012, 11:24   #23
BHPian

Re: Beat of India is Spark of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
not really. afaik, its a pure GM engine which even fiat cant use without paying royalties.
Are you sure? I read from multiple sources that its the 3-cylinder version of the MJD. AFAIK, General Motors and Fiat had a joint-venture called 'The Fiat-GM Powertrain' 7-8 years back and thats how GM got access to the renowned Fiat MJD.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beat of India is Spark of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Are you sure? I read from multiple sources that its the 3-cylinder version of the MJD. AFAIK, General Motors and Fiat had a joint-venture called 'The Fiat-GM Powertrain' 7-8 years back and thats how GM got access to the renowned Fiat MJD.
Yes. Quoting GTO from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2429640

Quote:
This 936 cc 3-cylinder diesel is a derivative of our national engine, the Fiat 1.3L 4-cylinder MJD. Remember, the MJD was jointly developed by GM & Fiat and hence, unlike other manufacturers, Chevrolet does not need to pay Fiat any royalties for using the engine (or its derivatives). Further, this 3 cylinder variant has been exclusively developed by GM at its Technical Center (Bangalore) & GM Powertrain (Europe). Thus, the 3 cylinder is Chevrolet's alone; Fiat cannot use it even if it wanted to.
Old 20th May 2012, 13:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Even I have the same question? How is the highway performance of the diesel? The high speed handling manners,top speed achieved,steering response of the electronic unit et al.
Quote:
How is it performing in the highways especially at speeds >100 km/h
My uncle owns a beat d and I have traveled quite a lot in it. It has covered 10k kms in around 6 months now. 1 major problem so far. The AC keeps leaking water into the footwell. But this seems to be a one-off prob and is being repaired. Other than that it has been a harmonious ownership so far.

About high speed dynamics. Top speed done by us is around 140. Reaches there without any signs of strain. Can maintain that speed all day long with no problems. But isn't a highway scorcher as such. Downshifting to overtake won't yield any results. You just have to time your overtaking move.
It has very good straight line stability. Doesn't sway unnecessarily. Brakes are good. ABS option is the way to go. Understeers slowly if pushed. But otherwise is a nice car to drive. Don't expect any kind of feed back from the wheel. It is a typical EPS and feels like a remote car. But the ride itself is good.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by rangakishen : 20th May 2012 at 13:12.
rangakishen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 15:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
About high speed dynamics. Top speed done by us is around 140. Reaches there without any signs of strain. Can maintain that speed all day long with no problems.
This is some speed to talk about. Even for stock 4 cylinder small diesels including the famed 1.3 MJD, 140 kmph is a very respectable speed. In our conditions, we really do not need more.

But, please inform how easy or difficult for Beat D to reach that speed, how is the noise level inside the cabin while cruising at that speed, what is the rpm reading?

Some has reported it is tiresome to cross a speed of 100 kmph in Beat D.

Have you done a high way FE test on TFM? If so , please inform the result & the speed at which the car was driven.

Cheers
Old 28th May 2012, 15:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
This is some speed to talk about. Even for stock 4 cylinder small diesels including the famed 1.3 MJD, 140 kmph is a very respectable speed. In our conditions, we really do not need more.

But, please inform how easy or difficult for Beat D to reach that speed, how is the noise level inside the cabin while cruising at that speed, what is the rpm reading?

Some has reported it is tiresome to cross a speed of 100 kmph in Beat D.

Have you done a high way FE test on TFM? If so , please inform the result & the speed at which the car was driven.

Cheers
Tiresome to cross 100 etc etc., all these things are highly subjective, so cant really comment on it. It does not struggle in any way to reach 140. It takes a bit of time but can get there fairly easily. I can say this because My uncle is a sedate driver and doesn't push the car's limits. So the car achieved this in the normal course. Whenever traffic and the road allows you to accelerate, Beat will get to that mark without a problem, albeit slowly. The acceleration itself is a bit slow. By not struggling, I mean the engine will not be screaming and there will be no booming as such. There'll be steady progress.
NVH at those speeds is satisfactory. Its not silent. The engine is audible but not screaming as such. I do not know the RPM reading as I haven't observed it. I will let you know if and when I find out!!
My uncle has done many Highway trips on it. At regular speeds of 100 or so and a fully loaded car (5 adults with some luggage), From Chennai to B'lore, he got a mileage of 21.7kmpl!!
Right now though in city with 100% AC, his mileage has dropped to around 14kmpl. But this is heavily based on driving style.
Old 29th May 2012, 12:26   #28
BHPian

Please do share the practical aspects of the boot space in the Beat.
Old 29th May 2012, 14:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have a Beat D as well. I find the boot space adequate. There were some times when I thought the boot space won't be enough, and I would have to keep some stuff in the passanger space. But the space gulped the luggage with ease. 2 cabin bags with 2 duffie bags alongwith some general small bags are gone in the boot with ease.
Old 18th August 2012, 17:36   #30
BANNED

It's been 8500Km and 10Months of smooth riding on this wonderful Car from GM stable. Just excellent for city and suburban driving. Extremely frugal on Diesel with superb airconditioning on Delhi roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks