Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2011, 13:33   #1
BHPian

The Italian beauty continues to mesmerize.30,000 kms in the Punto MJD E+!!!

DISCLAIMER : This ownership review comes from a lay man who is a motorhead but is not technically very proficient! I am here to give a genuine review of a machine that has bought us innumerable smiles!!!

So here we go...

FIAT is a brand that I have always loved!

Selecting a hatchback was never a tough decision for us as my requriements we crystal clear.We had already zeroed down on the Fiat Grande Punto MJD E+. Reasons?

1) Exemplary Handling.
2) Best in class steering feedback.
3) Build Quality.
4) Safety features.
5) High speed stability.
6) Looks.

Though I was aware about TASS and lack of niggle free ownership w.r.t Fiat, I was ready to take that risk as I was totally in love with this Italian beauty. I must say, the risk taken has paid off extremely well! No matter how much people abuse about the Fiat after sales service, almost 2 years and 30,000 kms,I have never come across any hassle w.r.t service nor has my Punto given any niggles so far.

Handling - This baby handles like a dream. I am yet to come across a hatchback on indian roads who handles as well as this Italian beauty! Also, the suspension is so good that it easily wallops the monstrous potholes of Pune.

Steering feedback - The steering is just so confidence inspiring! It's like it almost talks to you, lets you know EXACTLY on what kind of tarmac you are driving.

Build Quality - One word SOLIDDDDDD!!! you actually FEEL secure in it's tank like build. Do I have to say much about the "thud"?

Safety features - For me, this was one of the most important parameter while selecting our first car. With a cluster of safety features like ABS, EBD, Airbags for the given price...I was already grinning!

High Speed stability - Drive this baby on the Mumbai-Pune E way and you actually understand the meaning of this term. Ths combination of Handling, steering feedback and high speed stability makes it a dream drive. Grips the road hard and is straight as a bullet! Simple innit?

Looks - This parameter is subjective but still, Grande Punto qualifies to be one of the best looking hatchback on indian roads today. Nobody understands curves better than Italians do.

P.S - FE figures are 18-19 kmpl in city traffic and 21-22 kmpl on highways.

Where Fiat could have done a better job -

1) Fit and Finish - Strictly average but one can live with it. Interiors fail to give a "premium feel".

2) Turning Radius - way too long. Initially it was irritating on congested roads, but again, it is a matter of getting used to!

3) Better stereo - Stereo is crap to say the least. Could have been much much better!

But these areas not the ones who'll make your life miserable. One eventually gets used to it.

SERVICE -

This is where I would like to emphasize a bit more. A lot have been said about Fiat indifferent to its customers w.r.t service. After flipping pages of the history book, we understand that , for this, they are themselves to blame.

Having said that, I would also like to quote that these guys are taking efforts to change this perception. All that is needed is better packaging of their efforts to successfully execute this "perception changing" exercise.I have never faced problems with spare parts (when my car needed a front left fender cuz an idiot drunk rickshaw driver banged into it), bloated service bills, timely delivery after service. It has all been very smooth. maybe, MAYBE I might have been one of those "always lucky" customers but have given timely feedback to FIAT about thier efforts, to the levelof Mr. Rajeev Kapoor.

I would pray that a brand like Fiat, who churns out such good products, should not go down the drain due to issues like service.

A line said by GTO in his review always rings in my mind and its so so true "This hatch pulls the strings to your heart like no other"

I would like to thank Fiat for bringing million smiles to our family. This car mesmerises me with its abilities everyday!
Attached Thumbnails
The Italian beauty continues to mesmerize.30,000 kms in the Punto MJD E+!!!-click140.jpg  

The Italian beauty continues to mesmerize.30,000 kms in the Punto MJD E+!!!-click123.jpg  

The Italian beauty continues to mesmerize.30,000 kms in the Punto MJD E+!!!-click137.jpg  

The Italian beauty continues to mesmerize.30,000 kms in the Punto MJD E+!!!-click146.jpg  

The Italian beauty continues to mesmerize.30,000 kms in the Punto MJD E+!!!-click198.jpg  

The Italian beauty continues to mesmerize.30,000 kms in the Punto MJD E+!!!-click290.jpg  

The Italian beauty continues to mesmerize.30,000 kms in the Punto MJD E+!!!-img_0131.jpg  

ironshark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 17:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Italian beauty continues to mesmerize.30,000 kms in the Punto MJD E+!!!

Good one ironshark! So finally you started your thread.

Punto MJD is still my favorite diesel hatch in India. I said 'still' because many people have already written off Fiat and its amazing vehicles. Ofcourse, Fiat has to be blamed equally for this dull performance and niggled-perception.

BNW Punto is the BEST looking hatch IMHO. Nothing can come to close to it in terms of external beauty. You are getting excellent FE out of it too. 18-19 kmpl in Pune city is rocking.

Are you planning to do any particular mods? Whatever I have seen and heard, the stock ICE is pathetic to say the least. You might wanna upgrade to a better setup.

Do post more pictures and some high res picture to feast the eyes. Wishing you all the best with your ride and hope you have a long and happy journey with her. Also hoping that you attend the next Pune TeamBHP meet.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 18:06   #3
BHPian

Nice car indeed. I had driven the diesel one , its great in one word.

btw, will you pls let me know where [ address , if possible ] is that washing area/bay that you are using for underbody washing.

I need to do that every 3 months , and going to service centre is a big pain for me.
Old 18th November 2011, 18:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Good one ironshark! So finally you started your thread.

Punto MJD is still my favorite diesel hatch in India. I said 'still' because many people have already written off Fiat and its amazing vehicles. Ofcourse, Fiat has to be blamed equally for this dull performance and niggled-perception.

BNW Punto is the BEST looking hatch IMHO. Nothing can come to close to it in terms of external beauty. You are getting excellent FE out of it too. 18-19 kmpl in Pune city is rocking.

Are you planning to do any particular mods? Whatever I have seen and heard, the stock ICE is pathetic to say the least. You might wanna upgrade to a better setup.

Do post more pictures and some high res picture to feast the eyes. Wishing you all the best with your ride and hope you have a long and happy journey with her. Also hoping that you attend the next Pune TeamBHP meet.

Thank you Ajay.

Yes finally a thread from me! Punto is a FANTASTIC FANTASTIC car. It offers a lot more w.r.t "the driving experience" than just "kitna deti hai" syndrome. The dismal sales figures are thanks to Fiat's perception. They're doing everything to change it but I guess they're not doing it enough or not doing it effectively.
No immediate plan for any mods except the ICE.
And hell yeahh am sure gonna make it for the next Pune TBHP meet.

P.S - Wrote this review while in office hence all the high resolution pics are in the personal laptop. Will surely come up with more.
Old 18th November 2011, 18:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Nice car indeed. I had driven the diesel one , its great in one word.

btw, will you pls let me know where [ address , if possible ] is that washing area/bay that you are using for underbody washing.

I need to do that every 3 months , and going to service centre is a big pain for me.
Amazing,

Where do you stay in Pune. This washing bay is located in Chinchwad ahe the guy does an amazing job. He even gives a thorough wash to the engine bay, Interior vaccuuming all for 180 bucks.
Old 18th November 2011, 23:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good to see a real happy FIATian. Wish you many such smiling miles
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 21:47   #7
BHPian

Great to see an another happy long termer with GP. It sure is one hell of car, mine is 3 months/6k km old and im loving every moments. It deserves more sales numbers and better position in peoples minds. IMHO the quality is better than what i had in my swift and it has more features(known+hidden) for the price.

Wish you many more and safe mile crunching..
Old 20th November 2011, 13:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
Great to see an another happy long termer with GP. It sure is one hell of car, mine is 3 months/6k km old and im loving every moments. It deserves more sales numbers and better position in peoples minds. IMHO the quality is better than what i had in my swift and it has more features(known+hidden) for the price.

Wish you many more and safe mile crunching..
Very well said RIC.BURNS. The features that you get for the price tag is amazing. It's all about packaging and showcasing them well and backing it up with good service.

Wishing you many happy miles in the Punto!!!!
Old 20th November 2011, 17:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Good to see a real happy FIATian. Wish you many such smiling miles
Thank you neoonwheels, when a product appeals to your heart, one kinda ignores whatever negatives that might be attached to it. That's exactly what happened to me while booking the Punto. And well, the negatives are'nt that negative you know!!!!
Old 20th November 2011, 17:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Its a nice read ironshark. Good to know know that you have completed 30k in Punto. It would be great if you could elaborate on the great moments with the car and also the issues faced for all these miles.
Old 20th November 2011, 18:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Excellent ride, Ironshark. Can't agree with you more, the Punto is one of the best looking rides on Indian roads, and I was so close to buying one. The horror stories of *** and the slightly higher noise levels made me stay away. Great mileage figures too.
Old 21st November 2011, 12:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Excellent ride, Ironshark. Can't agree with you more, the Punto is one of the best looking rides on Indian roads, and I was so close to buying one. The horror stories of *** and the slightly higher noise levels made me stay away. Great mileage figures too.
Lalvaz,

I am sure that Fiat will soon start wiping out those horror stories. Anyways, whats your ride now?
Old 21st November 2011, 17:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post
Lalvaz,

I am sure that Fiat will soon start wiping out those horror stories. Anyways, whats your ride now?
Well, I was so in love with the Fiat engine, I bought the Maruti Swift Vdi with ABS. Its the best compromise in terms of engine, performance, after sales service. Only thing I miss are the superb handling, Airbags, rear wiper, defogger, and the thud of the doors, but well, I did mention it was a compromise.

BTW, Ironshark, when I did a TD of the Fiat, I had a lot of engine noise seeping into the cabin. Is that still a problem? Or has Fiat fixed that now?
Old 21st November 2011, 17:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
DISCLAIMER : Reasons?

1) Exemplary Handling.
2) Best in class steering feedback.
3) Build Quality.
4) Safety features.
5) High speed stability.
6) Looks.

I would like to thank Fiat for bringing million smiles to our family. This car mesmerises me with its abilities everyday!
Ironshark, you perfectly reflect my sentiments about owning the Punto for the last 2 years. If I have to start a long term ownership report, I can just copy and Paste your post.

Congrats on your great drive and I am sure, you would have also realized that this is one car where the drivability gets better with age and the ride and handling still feels like a brand new car. Curnch many more happy miles with your FIAT
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 17:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Amazing,

Where do you stay in Pune. This washing bay is located in Chinchwad ahe the guy does an amazing job. He even gives a thorough wash to the engine bay, Interior vaccuuming all for 180 bucks.
I stay in pcmc area only, so can manage the stuff in chinchwad.

pls share with me the full address ( any landmarks) and contact cell number asap, thanks ironshark for your help. i am planning next sat/sun washing.

Most Viewed