Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2012, 21:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Petrol Siblings: Honda City 1.5 iVtec Vs Ford Fiesta 1.6 Duratec

nice write up and an awesome garage you have there.seeing your enthusiasm for driving, T jet would have been the straight choice.Though i feel the city's plastics are better but fiesta's one ages well.how bad is understeer on city compared to fiesta and how well does it respond to steering corrections?
Old 16th February 2012, 21:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Well composed again! But i am not very happy to see the niggles and the number of times you had to take the car back to fix these niggles. Specially the one with the gearbox oil leaking was shocking!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Please note that they didn't charge me for any of the repairs performed above.
This would have been taking it too far if they had charged you for their mistakes.

Quote:
Would I go back to them? Yes. One thing is for sure, you tamper with the car in anway, a chance of some issues cropping up does exist and a bit of patience is needed to iron them out.
While i agree that chances of niggles are present if you meddle with the factory settings, if done responsibly, there should not be any niggles.

In comparison, I too have a modded Spark with somewhat similar set up as your car. I have a BMC conical (which i will change to DIA Cold Air Intake in the coming month), 4x2x1 headers with custom end can. I got my car modded when it was 8k on the Odo. Today at 22k on the Odo, it is still running without any niggles (touchwood). I have never had to visit the tuner again for any complaints. Speaks of the workmanship of the folks at EngineCal. Mine too were similar requirements as yours - Not too loud and no compromise on low end torque. I was somehow not too comfortable with the package deals by RRP so looked for other options. Found out EngineCal, spoke to them and was totally convinced to go with them. Happy camper ever after.

Hope to read your impressions after going for piggyback ECU

Last edited by abhinav.s : 16th February 2012 at 21:49.
Old 16th February 2012, 21:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yup, there's no doubt that City is more fuel efficient. In fact, I would guess the difference to be 2-3 kmpl or more. (50% city, 50% highway)

Are you sure of this? My colleague has an ANHC and he gets the same FE in Hyd city as me---around 11 ro 12. Perhaps if one drives in high revvs like you, the difference would be more evident.

By the way, this is a great thread. I enjoyed reading it to the hilt. I wonder why the first post is dated November, 2011 though.

I am keen to know what you've done to the headlamps. Though the Fiesta has the best headlights in the segment, I'd like to boost their capacity. Can you please share?
Old 16th February 2012, 21:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Niranjan. That was a very interesting article and your pictures are actually better than you they are! My dad owns a Honda City i-vtec as well and having driven both the Fiesta and the City, I can't agree more about your comments on the way they handle. I felt the exact words that you had typed in your post when I drove the Fiesta and the City back to back! Great observations Niranjan
But my view varies in the following two areas..
I found the City faster compared to the stock Fiesta.
Also I somehow like the City's audio quality more (in terms of bass and the clarity of the highs). Is it that you're finding the Fiesta's ICE much better in terms of offering a CD player and two tweeters over that of the City's?

Last edited by aravind.anand : 16th February 2012 at 21:58.
Old 16th February 2012, 22:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Are you sure of this? My colleague has an ANHC and he gets the same FE in Hyd city as me---around 11 ro 12. Perhaps if one drives in high revvs like you, the difference would be more evident.
Mileage of Honda City is purely dependent on driving style. 11/12 is low mileage IMO.

Quote:
. I wonder why the first post is dated November, 2011 though.
Assembly Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Is it that you're finding the Fiesta's ICE much better in terms of offering a CD player and two tweeters over that of the City's?
City also has two tweeters in higher variants. I find Honda City's ICE way better than Fiesta's - may be this is again subjective.

Last edited by bluevolt : 16th February 2012 at 22:03.
Old 16th February 2012, 22:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

City also has two tweeters in higher variants. I find Honda City's ICE way better than Fiesta's - may be this is again subjective.
I'll make it a point to listen to some songs next time I am in the City. Trouble is that I can't play CDs in it. Nor can I play a USB on my car.

Looks like FM radio is the only thing in common. At least on the Fiesta, the FM plays as clearly as an audio CD

Last edited by vnabhi : 16th February 2012 at 22:34.
Old 16th February 2012, 23:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post

a) High Speed stability doesn't just disappear at 120. Have driven my city at 160+ on NH17 ghats. Didnt feel flustered at all.

b) I drive with OEM 175's XM have never scrapped at bottom
Oh I never said stability disappears - just that above 120 it isn't as stable as say Linea/Fiesta. Acceptable nevertheless. Scrapping the bottom is a Bangalore specialty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Good write up niranjanrvce . have you ever driven a Fiesta 1.4?
A cousin of mine owns the 1.4. All the faults of the Fiesta without it's stellar engine. If you are looking for a proper driver's car then wait for that 1.6. Keep the search on since you are not in a hurry anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
how bad is understeer on city compared to fiesta and how well does it respond to steering corrections?
Understeer sets in quite early in the City compared to the Fiesta - especially when the gradient of the curve is sloping downwards or if it's a decreasing radius curve. You will overshoot the apex far easily in the City. It responds quite well to steering corrections - the problem is you don't feel very confident about the corrections you are making since you aren't getting any feedback from it. On the Fiesta, I will sometimes hold off a correction a little bit just to hear the tyres squeal - it makes you feel that confident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Well composed again! But i am not very happy to see the niggles and the number of times you had to take the car back to fix these niggles. Specially the one with the gearbox oil leaking was shocking!!
Found out EngineCal, spoke to them and was totally convinced to go with them. Happy camper ever after.
Hope to read your impressions after going for piggyback ECU
Thanks Abhinav. I am not very happy about the niggles either and this has surely put any thoughts of TC'ing it on the backburner. Glad that you Sparky is doing well. Never heard of EngineCal - should search on them!

Quote:

By the way, this is a great thread. I enjoyed reading it to the hilt. I wonder why the first post is dated November, 2011 though.

I am keen to know what you've done to the headlamps. Though the Fiesta has the best headlights in the segment, I'd like to boost their capacity. Can you please share?
Yes, Fiesta mileage drops drastically as you revv her up. How do I know? Well the DTE feels like its missing a digit after a high revving session!
Nov'11 is Assembly line start. I am terribly lazy!
Osram nightbreakers (H1 and H7) on low and high beams for the Fiesta. They do a very good job, don't need relays et all and in my experience are better than the Philips Crystal light alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Great observations Niranjan
I found the City faster compared to the stock Fiesta.
Is it that you're finding the Fiesta's ICE much better in terms of offering a CD player and two tweeters over that of the City's?
Thanks Aravind. As I said, my Fiesta had mods on by the time the City came in so that could have biased me.
I was talking in terms on audio quality alone and this could vary depending on personal preference and the kind of songs and volumes you listen to. I use only the Aux-in and FM options on either car. Tried the USB port of the City many times but never got it to work!
Old 17th February 2012, 00:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I did! 2003-07. Seems like a long time ago though. Why do you ask?
I graduated from rvce(telecom) in 1998. If 2007 seems long ago then 1998 seems a century ago and is actually the previous century! Hope the cars are doing well. I own the previous fiesta diesel and its a joy to drive even though it has only 68bhp. I can imagine how good the new one is. I only test drove the new diesel once.
Old 17th February 2012, 20:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I graduated from rvce(telecom) in 1998. If 2007 seems long ago then 1998 seems a century ago and is actually the previous century! Hope the cars are doing well. I own the previous fiesta diesel and its a joy to drive even though it has only 68bhp. I can imagine how good the new one is. I only test drove the new diesel once.
Seems like we have quite a few RV alums on the forum - quite a few have asked me on it after seeing my id! Namaste, super senior sir

I really like the 2011 Fiesta's front seats and the razzamataz about the gadgetry but expected better engines to be honest. For its time, the Fiesta diesel was alright but now the competition has moved on. Or, they should have priced it much closer to sx4 diesel.
Fiesta (now classic) does better than its paper 68bhp suggests though. I have had quite a few friendly duels with it on the highway and it isn't very easy to lose it till 120. Post that, the lack of bhp shows up. Perfect diesel for city runabouts though. Hope yours still brings a smile to your face when you drive it!
Old 20th February 2012, 16:00   #25
BHPian

Hey niranjan heard red rooster have shut shop a while back.true?
Old 20th February 2012, 19:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
Hey niranjan heard red rooster have shut shop a while back.true?
Nope not true- red rooster facilities are fully functional and in fact, they are expanding using a franchise model. Their main workshop in Whitefield is running at full steam from what I have seen. What you might have heard is them backing out of INRC due to lack of sponsorships.
Old 21st February 2012, 07:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

@Niranjan,

Thats awesome writeup there, agree with all the fatcs you said about the Fiesta except for one thing - Noisy blower. I havent till date experienced the blower to be noisy, its super silent and cooling is super cool.

Liked the comparo with the City, although the Fiesta overtakes City in many facts IMO. Thanks for the headlamps tip, will be giving it a thought to replace in my Fiesta.

Sad to know about the oil leakage, I hope thats been taken care of by now. Suprised to see your first post dated in November 2011. Will b e closely watching your thread for the tyre upgrades on the Fiesta.
Old 21st February 2012, 11:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi @ghodlur. The Fiesta's AC is quite a chiller and it is only in summers that I move it to the 2nd position.

But when I move it to speed 3 position for quick cooling after parking under the hot summer sun, it does get noisy. At the 4th position, it is really loud. But then, it is the same in my Waggie too. I am not sure if the ANHC has a silent AC even at high blower setting.

While on this topic, an ANHC butted into my path on my way to office today, and we were ripping whenever we had a chance. It was only at a speed-breaker that the low-end grunt of the Fiesta helped me in smoking that chap. Poor guy tried to keep up, but got stuck behind a Dzire.

So coming to the topic of this thread, this is one of the best comparisions I've read so far of the 2 fastest petrol sedans under 10 lakhs. Please do keep updating this thread.
Old 21st February 2012, 11:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But when I move it to speed 3 position for quick cooling after parking under the hot summer sun, it does get noisy. At the 4th position, it is really loud. I am not sure if the ANHC has a silent AC even at high blower setting.
I agree to this but I dont think we keep the blower on for very long in summers, the quick chilling ensures that we return back the either blower setting#1 or 2 fast enough.

I think one area where Fiesta definitely scored over the City is the low turning radius and I have experienced this many a times where I could get get off easily esp at narrow U turns whereas the City struggled to go at one go. The City had to reverse and then proceed ahead. Niranjan - can you highlight your experience in this regards.
Old 21st February 2012, 11:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

I think one area where Fiesta definitely scored over the City is the low turning radius and I have experienced this many a times where I could get get off easily esp at narrow U turns whereas the City struggled to go at one go. The City had to reverse and then proceed ahead. Niranjan - can you highlight your experience in this regards.
I wasn't aware of this till now. I did know that the Linea and other Fiat models were notorious for their turning radius, but I thought the City also had a radius of 4.9 M like the Fiesta.

Most Viewed