Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 12:42   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Petrol Siblings: Honda City 1.5 iVtec Vs Ford Fiesta 1.6 Duratec

I think your Fiesta needs better tyres!

But really nice write-up! Enjoyed reading them and the best part was that all of it felt like it came straight from the heart! Really connected with that!
Old 27th February 2012, 13:56   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
The Ford is an awesome driving machine and the honda is a awesome all rounder.
Well said. Exactly my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Since then, I have shifted base back to New Delhi. And now I have no clue where to turn for an FFE.
Do any of these mods affect the warranty?
Samarth, Delhi has quite a few options. Did you try Speedsport? These mods void the warranty for sure. It depends on how accommodating your service center is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I think your Fiesta needs better tyres!
Thanks Nikhil. For sure the Fiesta needs better tyres. Any recommendations? I want to stay with 14s though.
Old 27th February 2012, 15:37   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
I love both cars; that's why they are in the garage!
My next car is going to be the ANHC...after one sedan I still prefer to go for another sedan instead of an SUV.
Old 28th February 2012, 18:46   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Nikhil. For sure the Fiesta needs better tyres. Any recommendations? I want to stay with 14s though.
MRF ZLO in 195/60-14 . I'm using it and am very very happy with it!
Old 23rd April 2012, 20:01   #50
BHPian

Re:Cosworth ECU re-map: Fiesta

Folks, at the start of the thread I had mentioned that an RD ECU is pending on the Fiesta. Well, an RD ECU didn't happen but something else did!

I read somewhere that Cosworth has set shop in India and was pleasantly surprised. Does this mean we can have complete engine swaps in India from a world class tuner? Well not really. But I did contact them anyway, through their website, and asked them if they would do anything for a Fiesta ECU. I did not get a reply back and left it at that.
About a month ago, I get a mail from them saying their engineer is coming down to B'lore and they can remap my Fiesta! I confirm the date and book a slot.
Sarvesh, their engineer, comes down to my house the following Monday and after a brief talk, hooks the Fiesta up. I ask him about the map and looks like the default remap is a linear one with gains across the range. It can be changed as I desire but I want a linear map as well and decide to go ahead with it.
The process is quite simple - they take your current map config, send it via skype to their UK garage; who in turn will remap the parameters and send back a new map along with the old one. The UK team took about 3 hours in my case to complete the remap and send it back. We had pretty much nothing to do but sat and chatted away about cars,mods, cosworth's plans and bikes.Once the remap came in, it takes just about 10 mins to set the new map and you are all set!
Your old (stock) map is saved and you get a lifetime guarantee on both maps. That is, you can switch back to stock anytime you want to.

The map isn't too aggressive and according to them, has been designed keeping in mind the fuel quality here and is also capable of working at all altitudes. Remapping here is basically changing the desired values of parameters and because it isn't a piggyback/standalone, your service center need not know of it ever. Even in case of a Warranty claim, they will set the stock map back for you before you make a claim. I hope it doesn't come to that though!

Driving Impressions:
Right after a remap, the ECU would have lost all its previous learning. And it will take some time for the new map to get used to your style of driving. Also, note that there is no placebo effect inducing increase in engine/exhaust sound here so you have to watch for the gains properly.
In my case, in my first drive off, I felt a difference but couldn't really pin it down. I could feel a stronger late-midrange but being in the city, I couldn't really stretch her legs. I waited for some open road time to really understand the difference. Since then, I have taken her to about 6 drives on the NICE road and this is where the differences become apparent. The car doesn't fell much different at low end (upto 2k) but as you build up the revs, you can sense a storm brewing. And at around 4k, it hits you with all its force right onto 7k. This 1.6 was already a complete joy at its top-end with the CAI and FFE in but the remap has made it even better! Earlier, you could feel a slight tapering off of torque between 5.5k to 6.8k but now it just keeps going and going. The way it pulls post 5k now is simply addictive. I now have the car exactly where I want it - wheel spin inducing low end, decent mid range and crazy top end.
The driveability has also improved but given Fiesta's already excellent driveability, I am wasn't really looking for anything here. But I do shift down to 4th lesser now when I want to 'go'. 5th does the job well enough - even for those quick overtakes. And 3rd continues to be an automatic in the city.
The engine feels more refined too - but that could be just me. I have no way of verifying that.
The tyres - I desperately need to invest in new tyres but haven't found the time yet. The current set are woefully inadequate. They spin away on full throttle on first 3 gears now and that means I can't really slam the pedal anymore. They squeek and scream around turns and generally, are not putting down the power well at all. I think I will take up Nikhil's suggestion of ZLOs soon.
What is due? Dyno at RRP. But again, I need to make time to go down there and get it down. Hopefully within the next week or so.
I had pics of WIP during the remap but changed my phone and hence need to take them out of the old one yet. Sometime soon hopefully.

Last edited by niranjanrvce : 23rd April 2012 at 20:04.
niranjanrvce is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 22:07   #51
BHPian

Hey niranjanrvce,

That's some dramatic improvement over stock mapping. Waiting for further reports from you. Can you please share the cost of remapping too? When I had contacted Sarvesh some 2 months ago, he quoted 16,000 bucks for remapping my Figo petrol. I feel that for Figo, 16k is over the moon.
Old 23rd April 2012, 22:45   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
he quoted 16,000 bucks for remapping my Figo petrol. I feel that for Figo, 16k is over the moon.
Yes they charged 16k for me too. I guess they are going with a one price suits all policy. However, I haven't heard of cheaper remaps. Also, what do you have on the Figo already? A remap on a completely stock machine might not yield much. I would recommend it at least after a FFE and CAI.
Old 23rd April 2012, 22:52   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Yes they charged 16k for me too. I guess they are going with a one price suits all policy. However, I haven't heard of cheaper remaps. Also, what do you have on the Figo already? A remap on a completely stock machine might not yield much. I would recommend it at least after a FFE and CAI.
Mine is stock since it is still under warranty. I've been following this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...igo-1-2-a.html and looks like CAI doesn't have much effect. I might not be correct but I think that CAI + FFE + remapping will not have much effect on my Figo as 1.2L engine is too puny. That was the major reason I wanted a cheap remapping so that if there is not much gain, I would not feel like being robbed.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:17   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent writeup.
Had great fun reading through it.
And I have to agree with you that as a long distance traveler with 5 people on board, I would prefer the City, BUT only if I am not in the driver's seat.
And for a VERY long drive, with 3-4 people, and driving, the fiesta.

City's rear is ,er, quite comfortable for 3, I agree.

PS: Still havent connected the PCV, have you?
Old 25th April 2012, 13:15   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
I might not be correct but I think that CAI + FFE + remapping will not have much effect on my Figo as 1.2L engine is too puny.
The Figo you mentioned seems to have got 10hp gains at the wheel on the dyno. I think those are reasonable gains and you can't expect more from just an intake/exhaust revision even on bigger engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
BUT only if I am not in the driver's seat.
City's rear is ,er, quite comfortable for 3, I agree.
PS: Still havent connected the PCV, have you?
The problem is;every trip, I start off by thinking I won't drive much this time but end up doing it anyway! Driving is very addictive.
I have connected the PCV now - took out the stock airbox completely. That pic I attached is an old one; let me see if I have a new pic to put up.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 14:59   #56
BANNED

Whatever the reviewers may say, if I am spending my hard earned moolah, I will go for the Honda with my eyes shut, whether or MT or AT! It beats the Ford on all counts, incl. running costs.
Old 13th January 2015, 14:37   #57
BHPian

Sorry to revive the old thread but wanted to ask you about what quarter mile times would you expect from your Fiesta?
Old 13th January 2015, 15:16   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuarterMile View Post
Sorry to revive the old thread but wanted to ask you about what quarter mile times would you expect from your Fiesta?
No idea on that mate - don't have a vbox to check times. I believe the stock 0-400m is supposed to be ~18s and I would guess an improvement of ~1.5-2s due to the mods.

On a side note, I haven't updated this thread in a long time - my wife has made the Fiesta her own now and drives it to office. I use a remapped T-Jet now.
Old 13th January 2015, 15:21   #59
BHPian

Quote:
No idea on that mate - don't have a vbox to check times. I believe the stock 0-400m is supposed to be ~18s and I would guess an improvement of ~1.5-2s due to the mods.

On a side note, I haven't updated this thread in a long time - my wife has made the Fiesta her own now and drives it to office. I use a remapped T-Jet now.
I was thinking of doing up my 2007 Fiesta 1.4 Duratec since it is a 2nd car I don't mind a little more fun out of it. Was thinking of starting with FFE and then going to CAI and so on. Could you point me in the right direction?

Most Viewed