Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 12:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol Siblings: Honda City 1.5 iVtec Vs Ford Fiesta 1.6 Duratec

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I wasn't aware of this till now. I did know that the Linea and other Fiat models were notorious for their turning radius, but I thought the City also had a radius of 4.9 M like the Fiesta.
The Turning Radius for City is 5.3 m as compared to 4.9 for Fiesta, I dont think this would be would be even noticable on the paper but in reality its different. IMO City is a bit longer than the Fiesta
Old 21st February 2012, 12:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The Turning Radius for City is 5.3 m as compared to 4.9 for Fiesta, I dont think this would be would be even noticable on the paper but in reality its different. IMO City is a bit longer than the Fiesta
Thanks for the update. I do know that the City has a more spacious rear seat than the Fiesta. I think the NHC had greater rear space than the ANHC, but I may be wrong.
Old 21st February 2012, 14:30   #33
BHPian

Again congrats on the mods, Eagerly waiting for the ECU & Tyre upgrade in the fiesta.
Brings back memories of my old ikon 1.6 nxt.
Old 21st February 2012, 14:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO City is a bit longer than the Fiesta
Actually Honda City is 160mm longer than Ford Fiesta, thus the turning radius difference.
Old 21st February 2012, 17:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I think one area where Fiesta definitely scored over the City is the low turning radius .... Niranjan - can you highlight your experience in this regards.
As people have said, City is longer and has a higher turning radius. In real life, I do find the City slightly less maneuverable than the Fiesta especially in tight U-turn spots. Your observations are bang on about having to reverse sometimes. I also think the City's rear visibility is lesser due to its higher boot lip so I got reverse parking sensors on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Again congrats on the mods, Eagerly waiting for the ECU & Tyre upgrade in the fiesta.
Brings back memories of my old ikon 1.6 nxt.
Thanks Raj. The ECU and tyre upgrade might take a little time since I am currently busy with the other Honda in my garage- the two wheeled one
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:36   #36
BHPian

Folks, a questions to all City owners: do you feel a push back from the A pedal when you try to accelerate past 4k rpm? Let me explain better- say you give 85% A pedal input in 3rd gear and the rpm starts rising from 2k, once past 4k or so, do you have to put extra pressure to keep the A pedal pressed at 85% or more? I face this on my City and wanted to check with other owners.

Note from Support - Post Edited. Off Topic content removed.

Last edited by n_aditya : 23rd February 2012 at 18:51.
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:27   #37
BHPian

Nice review there..for a minute I thought you have shifted loyalty from the Fiesta(Classic) to the City. Glad to know you haven't. City's interior has more space..and regarding exterior-both are equally good looking..keep doing the Fiesta(Classic) versus City thread..it makes interesting read...Fiesta(New) should be discontinued IMHO :-)
Old 24th February 2012, 17:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Good write up niranjanrvce . have you ever driven a Fiesta 1.4?

I'm looking for a pre owned fiesta, i'm in no hurry. the market is flooded with Fiesta 1.4 between 2 and 3 lakhs.

The fiesta 1.6 not easily available, the fiesta 1.6S noways no one is selling it.

I do not require the car for more than 5000km in a yr, it will be my 2nd car.

so according to you how is the fiesta 1.4 and which tyres suit it the best?
Buy the 1.4 by all means, but don't expect 2nd gear in 15 kmph with no throttle, that will stall. Its a car and take you from point A to point B and will give more FE than the 1.6. that one's tuned for mileage.

Note: I'm not selling my 1.6 S not in the next the next few years.
Old 26th February 2012, 17:08   #39

I have driven both ford fiesta and City extensively. Although I liked the 1.6L engine of the fiesta yet I felt smitten by Honda City. I went ahead and bought one. Now I am in love with this car. Be it highway racing or city driving it never lets me down. I really know when a pebble just missed my left rear tyre :-)
Old 26th February 2012, 20:54   #40
BHPian

nice review.

Actually, took me back a decade to the Ikon 1.6 vs OHC 1.5 war. And have realized nothing's changed!

Low end torque vs creamy smoothness at high revs, great vs average steering feedback, great vs average handling, less vs more spacious...
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 21:29   #41
BHPian

Just drove a friend's City this morning after dropping him off in my Fiesta(Classic). I have to admit.. Fiesta(Classic) feels faster but City is actually faster (I have read something like this earlier in some other thread)..City's longer wheelbase and wider and taller tyres are the reason IMHO...Both are really good cars.
Old 27th February 2012, 09:05   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deardaljit View Post
Be it highway racing or city driving it never lets me down. I really know when a pebble just missed my left rear tyre :-)
Glad you are enjoying the City! What I meant by that pebble thingie is to know it in the steering which sadly doesn't happen on EPS units. Now Ford and I hear even BMW is moving away from HPS units. Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Actually, took me back a decade to the Ikon 1.6 vs OHC 1.5 war. And have realized nothing's changed!
Good point. Indeed nothing's changed! Straight line madness vs curve carving panache. Unfortunately, this battle seems to end now. The new Fiesta doesn't quite add up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoya2007 View Post
City's longer wheelbase and wider and taller tyres are the reason IMHO...Both are really good cars.
I didn't get the longer wheelbase or wider/taller tyres logic Wider,taller tyres should actually cut down on your acceleration.

I have been driving the City in sparse early morning/late night traffic this past week due to some work. Which basically means I brought down the mileage to less then 10 . She feels happier in these times since the ambient temp is lesser;it's a such a joy hearing that vtec kick up a storm. I sometimes wonder what an intake/exhaust revision will do to it. But I hold myself back thinking one experiment is enough. And I sort of like going fast in a quiet way once in a while compared to the ffe on the fiesta!

Also, folks, although my posts might seem I am biased towards the Fiesta, I am not. I love both cars; that's why they are in the garage! It's still a riddle on which one to pick to go everyday. The differences that I have listed down are my observations and learnings as I go on a (hopefully) long journey with both these beauties.
Old 27th February 2012, 09:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

Womderful write-up, after owning both the All New Fiesta 1.5 TDCI and All New Honda City 1.5 Vtec V-AT I felt like I was reading my own experience. The City from drivers point of view cant hold a candle to Ford Fiesta as far as driving is concerned. I grin my way to work when I drive this car, do speeds 40 kmph more w/o breaking on the same twisties where City I could never manage those curves w/o pressing the brakes.
Also Honda City has I think some sensor in throttle, therefore as you rightly pointed out, it has a delayed response to you hitting the accelerator. The Fiesta on the other hand is drive by wire, instant throttle response and gratification. Another observation on my end was that City tends to understeer, it complains on corners as if wants to go the other way. Fiesta on the other hands makes you wanna throw the car in each and every corner. Add to that the fact that City screams at 4k rpm demanding an upshift, you never really can enjoy the car. City also looses composure on bad roads.

It is only for the overall looks, size, middle class snob value, space that City outperforms the Fiesta. But from a drivers point of view and anyone who lives to drive and drives to live, its the old or new Fiesta all the way!
Old 27th February 2012, 09:40   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Folks, a questions to all City owners: do you feel a push back from the A pedal when you try to accelerate past 4k rpm? Let me explain better- say you give 85% A pedal input in 3rd gear and the rpm starts rising from 2k, once past 4k or so, do you have to put extra pressure to keep the A pedal pressed at 85% or more? I face this on my City and wanted to check with other owners.

Note from Support - Post Edited. Off Topic content removed.
Faced nothing of this sort yet! I get pushed back into my seats after 4k!!
Still will pay attention next time above 4k next time and will update.

between, congrats on the city, i too have similar setup ;-), well almost!
While I find my fusion a hoot to drive, city is not too far behind.
I have driven both the cars extensively on highways. and love them both equally.
Upgrading the tyres of my city to 195/60/15 has really helped in the handling front.
The fords steering is best, no doubt about it,the city's steering, though on the lighter side initially,firms up over speeds.

The Ford is an awesome driving machine and the honda is a awesome all rounder.
Old 27th February 2012, 12:10   #45
BHPian

Very nicely detailed write up Niranjan Sir.
I do agree that CAI and FFE can really improve performance and smoothness of the drive of most cars. I had a K&N conical filter along with Automech FFE on my 800 and that really did work wonders.

Since then, I have shifted base back to New Delhi. And now I have no clue where to turn for an FFE.

Please share the costs for the mods on the Fiesta from RRP.

Do any of these mods affect the warranty?

TIA.
Cheers and drive safe.
Sam

Most Viewed