Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 07:39   #1
BHPian

Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”

Story of my Blue Monster - sound n speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”

Hi folks,

It all started in June of 2011 - I live in the US of A , and was getting bored of driving my red Acura TSX which I owned for almost 3.5 years since 2007. The Acura had been all that I had wanted till now - a fast, beautiful car loaded with all modern gizmos including touch screen nav, leather, premium sound, 17" sport wheels, black tints, 206 BHP with awesome handling - all this with Acura's sharp reliability, fuel efficiency and low maintenance.

This was a super beautiful car.
Look here:
Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”-acura.jpg
The car had been paid off in November 2010, and I had no more installments to pay for on the Acura. This was the trigger.

My thought process started – if I can sell off the Acura now, get the money in my bank, use some of it as down-payment for a newer better car – isn’t that enticing?

So the search began in the mind – I had my mind set on the Lexus IS 250/350. Fabulous car –started looking for used options…..all of them ranging > $28k or so…not bad I thought. Kept on looking…

My requirements were:

1. The car should be a head turner. I am a Libran so beauty is a sheer must.
2. Fast car, faster than the Acura of course, and fun to drive – I am a fast driver!
3. I was only looking for higher labels – Lexus, BMW, Audi, Merc, Infiniti – no Acura this time. I included Infiniti coz of its interiors on the G37, and the 300+ bhp engine
4. Sedan – 4 doors a requirement. Preferably automatic with sports mode and paddle shifters. I know - no manual here…as I wanted my wife to be able to drive this as well at times. Auto is nowhere near the manual but still….
5. Navigation –a must have
6. Preferably a used car – with very low miles
7. Sorry – no American or Korean cars! Sorry Hyundai – I know u guys are really pushing the game but maybe couple years later!!

__________________________________________________ ___________

Fast forward –March 2011.

1. Lexus IS350: Visited a car dealer in Seattle and test drove a Lexus IS 350. Was impressed by the sheer quality of the interiors – that woodgrain interior is something to die for. Drove the car around and then on the highway – boy this car is slick - It features a robust 3.5-liter V6 that pumps out 306 horsepower and 277 pound-feet of torque. Handling is very sharp. The weak points were the lifeless steering and the rear leg room – which is almost zero –only suitable for kids.
Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”-is350hr2.jpg
Verdict – Awesome car – but ruled out due to the quirks stated above.

2. Lexus IS250:Same story here, almost the same car with a lesser peppy engine and the same quirks.
Verdict: Ruled out!

3. Audi A4/S4:Test drove the 2010 Audi A4. Those LEDs – can’t say enuff about them. And the interiors are probably the best you can get on a luxury sports sedan. Add to this the quattro AWD and you have a winner. Well almost!

What kills the fun is the 4 cylinder 211 horsepower engine with 258 pound-feet of torque. Although the power is adequate, it still leaves a lot to be desired. I was expecting a roaring engine performance from the turbo engine, but it’s almost along the Acura TSX lines. Not in the scale of a BMW or an Infiniti G37
Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”-800pxaudi_a4_b8_front_20080414.jpg
Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”-800pxaudi_a4_b8_rear_20080414.jpg
Verdict: Awesome interiors, styling, killer LEDs, lack of sheer power kills this beautiful car. This is a very beautiful car!! The S4 has the 6 cylinder power, but is very very unreasonably priced…almost like an M3 – but nowhere near it in performance. Ruled out!!

4. Infiniti G37:The cheapest and fastest car amongst the ones I test drove. Certainly, the G37 is one of the more entertaining vehicles to drive thanks to its strong 328-horsepower V6 engine and agile handling. Very stylish cabin, rich features and lots of space in the sedan. Very very likeable car. What this car lacks is perhaps steering feedback– still very japanish and lacks the german touch. Also the engine gets very rough as u press the pedal and cross 90mph.

But what really killed my interest in the Infiniti was the snob factor. It still is rated lower in the ranks in the luxury sport sedan market and the snob factor is really really low.
Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”-2008_infiniti_g35_sedan_main_510.jpg
Verdict: Almost the complete package in what I was looking for, the snob factor is a concern. Still a contender!! Watch out this space.

5. Mercedes C300 Sport: Test drove a beautiful red Merc C300 and liked the first impressions. Hated the squarish design though. The interiors are OK, nothing to write home about though. Audi is still the benchmark for interiors.
Under the hood sits a sedate 228-horsepower 3.0-liter V6 and a seven-speed automatic transmission box. A 3.0-liter 24-valve V6 engine that produces 228-horsepower and 221 lb-ft .of torque is nowhere fast than all the other cars I tested so mightily disappointed. Unless it’s the AMG C63, you are looking at austere notes here. Snob factor is there but lacks outright power, and is not fast at all.
Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”-mb-c300-08-red-38k-001.jpg
Verdict: Ruled out. More of a ladies car – especially for the Chinese Asian population in the States

6. Mercedes CLS 550:Just out of curiosity, test drove this amazing merc - a 2009 model. It’s more expensive than the E series but sits on lower ground in the used car market. Super rich interiors, mighty big car and swooping lines. Luved every bit of this car. Its like a “German Jaguar” as they say.
A 5.5-liter 382 horsepower V8 engine powers this beast and just a look at the car makes u feel rich!! Again, this is completely out of picture in the current crop of cars I was testing, but the CLS made a space in my heart and I would love to acquire this beauty in its AMG avatar some day!!

Talking about power – this engine produces 391 pounds-feet of torque…..and that’s what makes it one of the most powerful cars.

As far as I'm concerned, this is easily one of the most gorgeous cars(sedans) in the world. The performance level makes it an unbelievably civilized sports sedan which offers tons of fun on the road

A few pics here of the CLS:
Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”-clspic1.jpg
Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”-2008mercedescls550002.jpg
Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”-2008mercedescls550i038.jpg
Verdict: Ooomphi car, a little “unusual” design but very very rich, powerful and elegant. Makes its place to the top of my future wishlist! Only if I had the $$$s

7. BMW 3 Series:Aah….the Benchmark of all cars. Having owned a BMW in the past, I knew this is the only car that is the benchmark in handling, performance and steering feel. Interiors and comfort – not so sure. Test drove a 2008 330i – this arrives with 255 horsepower and 220 pound-feet of torque. Not impressive figures I would say. Still test drove the vehicle, and to my surprise the power delivery is very linear and the car feels fast – though not as fast at the Infiniti G37.

The steering is awesome, handling –awesome and driving dynamics are spot on. The navigation is a pain to control with the iDrive knob and the interiors do not feel very rich. Still the car is very much the BMW that it is known for and I like the car. Now what it lacks is the sheer power that I was looking for –something on the lines of the G37 and rich interiors.
Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”-bmw330i.jpg
Verdict: Excellent dynamics, handling and steering feel, lacks power, interior quality. Will be a contender of course.

WHAT NEXT: THE GAME CHANGER!

Coming soon……………….

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th November 2011 at 11:17.
ashwin_seattle is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 09:45   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Story of my Blue Monster - sound n speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BL

Ashwin, nice flow of details on the various cars that you have tried out. Awaiting/ curious about the Game Changer?

Hope you do go on to detail the initial driving experience of the car that you finally buy as well as keep updating the same over the initial kms.
Old 25th November 2011, 10:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Story of my Blue Monster - sound n speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BL

@Ashwin - Thats a long list of test drives that you did. After going through all of them i am eagerly waiting for the game changer.

By the way other than the cost any additional reasons for considering only used cars?
Old 25th November 2011, 11:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hummmm, nice start, wondering where this will lead us to. Eagerly waiting for The Game Changer. Loved to see the pictures of Acura. We used to Drive a Integra in 1998.

Trying to guess what would that be, you have tried Merc, BMW, Audi, you already have owned an Accura. Maybe a Lexus or a 5 series?

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 25th November 2011 at 11:48.
Old 25th November 2011, 14:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@Ashwin - Thats a long list of test drives that you did. After going through all of them i am eagerly waiting for the game changer.

By the way other than the cost any additional reasons for considering only used cars?
Well I should have specified this in my list of requirements: I was looking for a very sparingly used car which is still in its warranty period. Low miles was my criterion. Basically, I was looking to overcome the first 2 years depreciation on a car that is in the range of $40-50k fully loaded.

Also, I wanted to drive a well tested car rather than becoming a guinea pig for a new car model.
ashwin_seattle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 14:08   #6
BHPian

Re: Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BL

Allright...I am back! Sorry just got busy with work.

OK...now for the Game Changer:

Here are some teaser pics...a detailed test drive write-up coming tomorrow.

Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”-pic1.jpg
Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BLAST”-pic2.jpg

Details coming tomorrow.....!!

Last edited by ashwin_seattle : 1st December 2011 at 14:10. Reason: space
Old 1st December 2011, 15:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Story of my Blue Monster - sound & speed rolled into one – I call it “THE BLUE BL

I still can't guess the car ashwin_seattle but I just Looove the Color

A Teaser is a fair deal but a promise is a promise.........Tomorrow it is !!
Old 1st December 2011, 17:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_seattle View Post

Attachment 850323
Attachment 850324

Its a BMW M3 i think!

Last edited by cityvic : 1st December 2011 at 17:42.
Old 1st December 2011, 18:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 850323
Attachment 850324

Thats a coupe for sure!!
Old 1st December 2011, 19:24   #10
BHPian

Next time I am Seattle, i will try to get in touch with you to check out the Awesome ride you have . Hope you dont mind.

Coming back, I am eagerly waiting for the pics. I still think its a BMW M3. But I might be wrong.
Old 1st December 2011, 20:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Its a BMW M3 i think!
Quote:

Here are some teaser pics...a

I see rear doors there. So its definitely not a coupe. Its a Beemer sedan probably.
AND I think the M3 has dual exhausts in each side.

Last edited by Pancham : 1st December 2011 at 20:24.
Old 1st December 2011, 20:33   #12
BHPian

Its a beemer for sure !! congrats on your buy the blue looks lovely , please put some pics up soon .

cheers
Ryan
Old 1st December 2011, 22:59   #13

Considering your budget, its most likely to be 335i sedan, probably 2008/2009 model. Even these models have dual exhaust and next best thing to M3 in the BMW line up..

On a second thought, this color was probably exclusive to M3, can't seem to make up my mind

Last edited by GTO : 8th December 2011 at 15:28. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 1st December 2011, 23:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

That's no M3. Doesn't have dual-tip exhausts and I can't really see the 'power hump' on the hood.

E90 335i, Le Mans Blue. Am I right?

Last edited by anekho : 1st December 2011 at 23:42.
Old 1st December 2011, 23:59   #15

You are right, totally forgot about the quad pipe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks