Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2011, 18:20   #16
BHPian

Re: My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxx View Post
3.On-road price, Discounts: About 14L + Customizations (more on that later). I got my own insurance and did not buy insurance from the dealer. I did not know I could do that till someone told me about it.
I got the Cruze LT for 11.6 lakh onroad on December 31st 2009. How come there is such a huge price hike. Was the price hike recent.

An advice for you. Running in period is 18000km( Eighteen thousand) where you should not cross 3000rpm. You rarely need to cross 3000rpm anyway even after the running in period. The company officials will vehemently say there is no need for running in. Watch the oil dip stick every 1000km till you cross the 15000km mark which is the first fluid service. Never let the oil go below the 3/4th mark.

Change the oil and oil filter at every 7500km at your cost especially if you use it for bumper to bumper traffic and frequent gear changes.

Change gear oil at 30000km service at your cost with genuine synthetic gear oil even if the GM fellows tells you its life time oil. Watch the oil that comes out of your gearbox.

Check your owners manual at which rpm the engine attains peak torque. If its at 2600rpm you will have turbo lag till 1800 rpm and if the manual mentions 2000rpm like in mine there will not be any lag after 1280rpm.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ture-list.html

Diesel-Powered Chevrolet Cruze to be Built in Lordstown, on Sale in Early 2013 - Carscoop

Your car will thank you for these tips and did I mention you got the 2nd best value for money car below 23 lakh after the venerable Palio GTX. I have not seen or driven the Nissan Sunny to comment on its value for money status.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 27th November 2011 at 18:22.
drpullockaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 19:41   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I got the Cruze LT for 11.6 lakh onroad on December 31st 2009. How come there is such a huge price hike. Was the price hike recent.

Check your owners manual at which rpm the engine attains peak torque. If its at 2600rpm you will have turbo lag till 1800 rpm and if the manual mentions 2000rpm like in mine there will not be any lag after 1280rpm.
Not sure if the price hike was recent. I had been following the prices for about 3-4 months and it pretty much stayed around the 14L mark for on-road Mumbai.
In fact the prices have gone up from 14.2L to 14.26L after I purchased.

Thanks for the useful inputs on the run-in period and oil changes. Indeed, I was told by the GM guys about the oil being good for life but I am going to follow your advise. The peak torque is it 2000 RPM and I do feel the turbo lag diminish by around 1300-1400 RPM.
Old 27th November 2011, 21:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks DeKay.
Build Quality is as good as the Laura. Feels solid and safe. Yup Fog Lamps coming soon.
The new Jetta, by the looks of it, comes across as very executive and 'formal'. Cruze suited the casual but aggressive stance that I was more eager for.
Hey! I thought you missed my post. :P How about the clutch? I know you've mentioned that it is a pain to drive in the city on congested roads, but is it really that bad? I, for one hate automatics and since the clutch of the cruise is hard like everyone says, would refrain from purchasing one.
Is it a deal-breaker?
Old 27th November 2011, 21:28   #19

Hey Anxx,

Welcome to the cruze owners club. And it is a wonderful place to be! Enjoy the rocket! It is so much fun to leave everyone else for dead, especially when you have these silly drivers who weave in and out and make life dangerous for everybody!

And the tyres and alloys look great! What is the percentage change in the odo reading with the new tyres? Is it less than 2 %?

Regards,
Old 28th November 2011, 21:15   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Hey! I thought you missed my post. :P How about the clutch? I know you've mentioned that it is a pain to drive in the city on congested roads, but is it really that bad? I, for one hate automatics and since the clutch of the cruise is hard like everyone says, would refrain from purchasing one.
Is it a deal-breaker?
Clutch is not a deal breaker at all. First 2 days were tough, getting used to it, but now its become easier. I don't know if I have gotten used to it or it has actually become lighter. It is definitely not a big enough reason to be a purchase (or not to purchase) factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrao View Post
And the tyres and alloys look great! What is the percentage change in the odo reading with the new tyres? Is it less than 2 %?

Regards,
Thanks Rajiv, how do I calculate the % change in the odo reading? I am new to this.
Old 29th November 2011, 00:02   #21

You can visit this site 1010tires.com. You will find it useful.

Regards,

Rajiv.

Thanks to GTO for posting the original link.
Old 4th December 2011, 11:28   #22

Nothing beats a side by side comparison.
The stocks look good too... especially on the white beast
Attached Thumbnails
My new Cruze - the Sand Drift Grey Beast-img_0636.jpg  

Old 4th December 2011, 12:57   #23
BHPian

Congrats on the new beast @anxx

Those wheels are really awsome. As you have mentioned in your first post, that you are thinking of getting fog lamps installed. I have a small suggestion. Instead of getting fogs installed, you can try Philips DRL's installed on the horizontal partition in the area where fogs are normally installed. Just the way, the new E and S class comes.
Old 7th December 2011, 00:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Congrats on the new beast @anxx

Those wheels are really awsome. As you have mentioned in your first post, that you are thinking of getting fog lamps installed. I have a small suggestion. Instead of getting fogs installed, you can try Philips DRL's installed on the horizontal partition in the area where fogs are normally installed. Just the way, the new E and S class comes.
Sounds good.... will check them out.... any suggestions for where to get them from?
Old 7th December 2011, 11:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Sounds good.... will check them out.... any suggestions for where to get them from?
You can try Santacruz West near Milan Subway. Dozens of shops available which will do the needful
Old 7th December 2011, 15:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with Mumbai. I think you can try out what DeKay has suggested.
Old 8th December 2011, 09:49   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
you can try Philips DRL's installed on the horizontal partition in the area where fogs are normally installed. Just the way, the new E and S class comes.
Excellent idea but one issue is that all such DRLs are arranged in a simple straight line. If you fit them into the sharply curved foglamp blanks, the individual LEDs will actually point towards the sides of the car rather than directly ahead! On the other hand, if you fit them such that they point straight, it will not match with the curved shape.

If you notice the Merc (& other) DRLs, they are specially manufactured with a bespoke angle to ensure that they all point straight ahead.

Apologies if I am making any basic mistake in thinking on these lines!
Old 8th December 2011, 11:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Excellent idea but one issue is that all such DRLs are arranged in a simple straight line. If you fit them into the sharply curved foglamp blanks, the individual LEDs will actually point towards the sides of the car rather than directly ahead! On the other hand, if you fit them such that they point straight, it will not match with the curved shape.

If you notice the Merc (& other) DRLs, they are specially manufactured with a bespoke angle to ensure that they all point straight ahead.

Apologies if I am making any basic mistake in thinking on these lines!
You are absolutely right. No mistake there. I too, don't think fitting such DRL's would be possible, but one can always try.
Old 8th December 2011, 17:14   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

The best alternative seems to be under the numberplate area as done by m4ugr8. Looks-wise not exceptional and definitely looks 'aftermarket' as compared to the 'customized' ones.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2505342

Either go for the Phillips ones (pricey: 4k to 8k depending on the model) or a cheap one off DealExtreme, Autoyet, Telefunken etc.
Old 8th December 2011, 18:48   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Gorgeous car, great colour and those aftermarket 17" rims are to die for! Congratulations on a fine purchase and wish you many happy miles in this mean machine.

In the side-by-side comparo pic with the White stock-shoed Cruze, it struck me how beautiful this car would look as a convertible. Limited edition idea, anyone?

Most Viewed