Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 11:20   #1
BHPian

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi

Alternatives considered:

Truly before getting Swift booked I did not think of any other alternative as my parents are MSIL followers, they only wanted to buy either Swift or SX4.

However we test drove certain vehicle so that I can show them what other companies are offering. Initially we had made our mind to buy a Sedan. therefore we TD Verna, Vento and SX4.

For Verna the interiors were awesome, engine is good but the rear seats were not at all comfortable. The steering did not response as if it was lifeless.

For Vento it was comparatively more expensive with the kind of equipments they were providing.

SX4 drive was very good, it is truly what we can call a drivers car. But the interiors looked dated.

However due to some budget constraints, we had to drop our plans for a Sedan and buy a Hatchback instead. For Hatchback category I again had 3 vehicles in mind:
1. Swift
2. Polo
3. i20

Didn't even consider Figo, Vista, Chevy.

Swift was the common choice for all of us. After doing a lot of R&D, on 17th July 2011 I went on to book Swift Vdi (white) at Batra Auto, Faridabad paying Rs. 10000/- as booking amount.

Due to the fact that I had bought my previous cars from the same dealer, the sales executive is kind of acquainted. However after it was launched, I took TD of the vehicle and was mesmerized by the interiors and equipments they were providing. With a difference of around Rs. 80000, following were being added:

1. Alloys (all 5)
2. ABS
3. Airbags
4. ACC
5. Audio System
6. 4 Speakers, 2 tweeters
7. Steering Controls
8. Electric OVRMs
9. Rear wiper and defogger

So I thought why not to buy a fully loaded vehicle. On 20th Aug I got my booking changed to Zdi by giving a simple application to the dealer. On 17th July when I had booked Vdi, the bookings had already crossed 15000, however when I got it changed to Zdi the booking had crossed almost 50000, which meant more delay in delivery because it would be considered a totally new booking.

Since the launch of new Swift, everyone know about the kind of tension that we had for delivery and quality due to the month long multiple strikes.
I even had made my mind to look for other alternatives. But then I thought of waiting for 1 more month till Nov end. If by then my car is not delivered, I would go for either Polo or i20.

Then after waiting long and calling up the dealer again and again, finally on 24th Nov the dealer called me up and told that Silky Silver was available for immediate delivery. But I had to confirm him within 24 hours otherwise their are obviously lot of buyers for that.
I discussed with my family members, if instead of white we can buy Silver. Once everyone agreed, I immediately called the dealer and confirmed the vehicle.
He asked me the delivery date and I knew when I had to take the deliver "27th Nov" which also happened to be my 1st anniversary.

Yesterday, on 27th we went to the dealer around 2 pm. Prior to my visit I had called the sales executive to get the car ready, but as it was Sunday there was a lot of rush for delivery. It took us around 3 hours to complete all the formalities and getting everything fitted. Finally around 5 pm, we took the delivery of our new car.

On Road Price: Rs. 7.06 Lacs
Colour: Metallic Silky Silver
Engine: 1.3 DDIS
Variant: Zdi

It is too early to review the car, however after driving it around 200 kms certain pros and cons that i have noticed.

Pros
1. Loved the Steering feel plus it is very responsive
2. Height adjustable seats and steering adjustability feature is a welcome addition which is good.
3. Interior styling with silver touches.
4. Music system is very good, sound is also pretty decent.
5. Excellent NHV levels for a diesel vehicle.
6. I loved the indicators on OVRM, which was sorely missing in previous generation.
7. Breaks are pretty good, considering that many people have complained about that.

Cons
1. The main thing that was awful in the car was the poor visibility from rear view mirror. It could have been much much better.
2. Rear space could have been more, considering that they have increased the length of the car.
3. It was expensive before, but I was getting it under 7lacs. After MSIL increased diesel car prices by another 10000 the cumulative impact got to around 11000-12000 which took the OTR above 7.0 lacs.
4. Though MSIL have provided a magnetic switch for opening the Boot, it needs to be banged too hard while closing other wise it remains half opened. One needs to recheck it after closing the same. This was not a problem in my A-Star or Ritz.

The interior cabin feel is awesome, top notch. It is quite roomy and built quality is surly better than outgoing model whose interiors I have never liked. That was the sole reason I had bought Ritz last time.

Putting some pictures, more to follow soon. Would surly share my experience once it drive it for long as I would be able to know my swift better by then.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc_0867.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc_0868.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc_0869.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc_0870.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc_0871.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc_0872.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc_0873.jpg  

Last edited by ankurvirmani19 : 29th November 2011 at 10:52. Reason: Update, spell check
ankurvirmani19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 11:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ~~ SWIFT Zdi Delivered ~~

Congrats on the owning the coveted Swift ZDI.

Wishing you miles& miles of reliability, driving pleasure and happiness!

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th November 2011 at 11:32.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 14:08   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Ownership Forum. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on the most fun-to-drive, and the best handling, hatchback sold in the market. I had an absolute blast testing the Swift diesel. Superb engine, gearbox, ride & handling combination. The brakes on the L & V variants suck....I'm glad you got the ZDi.

Drive safe.

Last edited by GTO : 30th November 2011 at 14:10.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 16:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the "seriously fun car"! Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring. Happy to know that the interior quality has improved & so is ride. Please do be generous with pics, interiors as well as exteriors! Any plan for mods, accessories, paint protection schemes?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 16:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ankur, congrats on your ZDI! It truly is a good choice even with the competition being much more than before. Wish you many safe miles in your new car. I think this is the first Silver New Swift i've seen. The roads full of whites and mostly VDI's.

PS: I've also booked one though the delivery may happen only in May next year.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 17:00   #6
BHPian

Congrats on the New Swift ZDi ankurvirmani19.
Wishing you many more miles of joyous driving.
Drive Safe and Enjoy !!
a*ed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 17:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your ZDi!!! Its a great car indeed. Took a TD and fell in love with it. We have booked a VDi as the waiting period for ZDi is too long.

PS: more pics please.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 18:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Please do be generous with pics, interiors as well as exteriors! Any plan for mods, accessories, paint protection schemes?
Thanks swiftnfurious
Due to weekdays, didn't get time to click the pictures. Would surly put more pictures soon. As of now I haven't thought of any modification as yet. However I would get 3m 50% film and anti rust coating. I would also buy full floor mats that the MGP is giving for Rs. 1460/-. This is a single mat that covers full internal floor. The quality is also quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I think this is the first Silver New Swift i've seen. The roads full of whites and mostly VDI's.
PS: I've also booked one though the delivery may happen only in May next year.
Thanks Shashank for your generous comments.
Yes I think this is the first Silver 2011 swift. Hope you get the delivery soon, as the 2nd Manesar plant would be starting shortly. Trials have already begun, this would increase the production by almost 30%.

BTW which colour and variant have you booked?
Old 30th November 2011, 18:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 View Post

Thanks Shashank for your generous comments.
Yes I think this is the first Silver 2011 swift. Hope you get the delivery soon, as the 2nd Manesar plant would be starting shortly. Trials have already begun, this would increase the production by almost 30%.

BTW which colour and variant have you booked?
I've booked a white ZDI in October, at the time of booking was told 7 months waiting so expected date of delivery was 27.05.2012, though the dealer orally said delivery may happen in 5-6 months. Good to hear that trials on the 2nd line have begun, hope to take delivery by Feb or March. Fingers crossed
Old 30th November 2011, 19:21   #10
BANNED

Hey Ankur congratulations. Just one question. Have the dealers started providing basic kit exclusively made for new Swift? Just saw a Swift ZDI and it was sporting black mud flaps. Wouldn't the one in body colour suit better? Especially since the car is coming with body coloured rear view mirrors. Black really looks out of place and work well with other black combinations such as black RVMs and side black beadings.
Old 30th November 2011, 19:21   #11
BHPian

Dear Ankur,

Congrats for the new Swift! Even though it is a little overpriced, it is an overprized vehicle as well!

Swift has been one of my favourite cars since i was in college. I wish it had come with more a little more space (Rear+Boot), as space was one of the priorities while i was looking for caaaar!

Wishing you zillions of safe miles ahead!
Old 30th November 2011, 20:03   #12
BHPian

Booked on 17th July 2011 and having by now : Lucky you n Unlucky me..
I've booked White ZDi on 18th of this July & the bloody dealer is saying that they gonna deliver it in late March2012 or early April2012.

But anyways, alot Congratulations on buying the New ZDi Swift.
Its a Brilliant & best package to own in this budget range.
Old 1st December 2011, 07:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Have the dealers started providing basic kit exclusively made for new Swift?
Thanks Anand
Dealer has provided the basic kit, which includes mud flaps and carpet mats. However, currently they are providing the same black mud flaps. Also the custom made beading are still not available with the dealer. Though they have mentioned them in the accessories brochure. That might probably take time, as MSIL would be considering clearing of backlog instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank10 View Post
I wish it had come with more a little more space (Rear+Boot), as space was one of the priorities while i was looking for caaaar!
Thanks Mayank for your heartiest wishes. Before considering Swift I did the comparative analysis of other hatchbacks too as written in my previous post. I also thought that Rear+boot was not adequate, but they have at least increased the rear space in this model. But while considering for this car, features other than Boot and rear that MSIL is providing in this package overpowered it.
For me rating would go like this
Swift>Polo>i20>Figo & others

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Booked on 17th July 2011 and having by now : Lucky you n Unlucky me..
Thanks and congrats for the new member in your family.
I think the dealers have been instructed to give inflated delivery dates, as it might also be a marketing strategy to lure people and telling them that MSIL is working hard towards clearing the backlogs.
ankurvirmani19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 08:19   #14
Team-BHP Support

Congrats ankurvirmani!

3rd Maruti in your garage, right? Mine would also be the third (whenever it arrives) after the 800 and WagonR. But unlike previous times - this time its due to the car than MSIL. Couldnt find a better package than Swift ZDi.

Are you upgrading from Ritz/ A-star? Or this is an addition to the fleet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 View Post
I think the dealers have been instructed to give inflated delivery dates, as it might also be a marketing strategy to lure people and telling them that MSIL is working hard towards clearing the backlogs.
No sir! Thats certainly not the case! I think ZDi variants are being dispatched till July 2011 bookings. You are the third person i know of, to get a July booked ZDi. Also, the colour plays a huge part. I was offered a black in one month after booking too, while white has huge waiting period.

Mine is a Sep booking for white ZDi.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st December 2011 at 08:20.
Old 1st December 2011, 10:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congrats ankurvirmani!
Are you upgrading from Ritz/ A-star? Or this is an addition to the fleet?
Thanks crazy driver

Yes this is an addition to the current fleet, I would not be selling any. Actually its a 4th MS vehicle for us, 1st one being M800 as it used to be a 1st car for every Indian family.
I also could not find any better package than Swift, which was the sole reason I went on for this machine. Hope you get the delivery soon. best wishes

After doing around 270 kms, i feel that the vehicle is quite steady till now. Its really a fun to drive car, however I still feel that the rear view is not optimum. It should have been better.

This is the first time I am driving an ABS/EBD vehicle and I certainly feel the difference.
As promised, putting some more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc_0891.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc_0895.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc_0897.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc02991.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc02992.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc02994.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc02995.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc02996.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc02997.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc02998.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti Swift ZDi-dsc03001.jpg