Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 15:01   #46
BHPian

re: Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up

Hi Guys..

Update @ 9500 Kms. Still going good - no worries at all.

Was wondering if I should go in for an early service (say 10 - 12K) rather than waiting for the completion of 15K Kms - can't locate the exact post but had read on the forum that

1. It is a good practice to have the first oil change done earlier
2. Manufacturers do tend to give optimistic estimates of the service intervals
3. As a lot of our driving happens in city - bumper to bumper traffic - warrants an earlier change of engine oil

The second part is that I am not sure what oil is used by VW folks as OEM. I would ideally want to go for Mobil 1. In case VW does not use the same, can I procure it from outside & insist that they use the same?
Old 13th July 2012, 07:56   #47
BHPian

re: Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
The second part is that I am not sure what oil is used by VW folks as OEM. I would ideally want to go for Mobil 1. In case VW does not use the same, can I procure it from outside & insist that they use the same?
This should help; just make sure that you are present for the service and see the oil going in to you car with your own eyes. If they are using a questionable product or brand insist you record it on paper and provide your own.
Ayedongivadam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 11:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post
This should help; just make sure that you are present for the service and see the oil going in to you car with your own eyes. If they are using a questionable product or brand insist you record it on paper and provide your own.
I was looking at the Mobil site. They have mentioned 2 products -

Mobil 1 0W-40 & Mobil 1 5W-50

The former mentions approved for VW 505 00/502 00 while the latter says VW 505 00/501 01. While the yahoo group mentions VW 507.00 grade. This is a little confusing

Clearly the former would be better in colder conditions & would have a longer operating life, the latter one would provide better protection at higher engine operating temperatures.

Considering that it never gets v v cold in central India I am gravitating towards 5W-50.

Any thoughts / suggestions?
Old 30th July 2012, 13:55   #49
BHPian

Had a fantastic weekend getaway @ Radisson Alibaug with family. With 4 adults & an infant in a baby car seat there was enough room to keep every one comfy.

The boot swallowed everything including the XL sized stroller for the baby

Nothing much to write about the drive except the immaculate road manners which had us fresh as we reached in comfort & with frugality - average across the 300 + Km drive was north of 17 (which included a few breaks with the car left running to keep the baby comfy).

One good discovery on the way back was Aryan Dhaba - is a recent addition (opened 6 odd months ago) a little ahead of Pen (on the way back from Alibag). Absolutely delightful food & total paisa vasool pricing
Attached Thumbnails
Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-aryan-dhaba.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-aryan-dhaba-1.jpg  

Last edited by vkaul1 : 30th July 2012 at 13:58.
Old 31st July 2012, 12:13   #50
BHPian

Where are the BT install pics dont keep folks waiting my good man!
Old 1st August 2012, 17:09   #51
BHPian

The dummy phone button on the steering wheel was actually a sore esp knowing that VW has the hardware for Jetta being provided elsewhere.

Seeing some of the pioneers on TBHP taking the leap of faith & having fun with the BT module installed it was fast coming to where I just HAD to get it done for my ride.

The car systems website had discontinued the model which Sid (Ayedongiveadam) had ordered so went with a different one - VW Bluetooth KIT 7P6035730J - which seems to be an upgraded version.

The shipping & delivery were fairly prompt but there was another INR 800 odd that had to be shelled out for "octroi" charges.

Placed a call to the VW folks & fixed the appointment specifically asking for "bluetooth module install".

While I'll let the pics talk more. The steps in a nut shell -

1. The music system comes out
2. The glove box comes out
3. The side panel comes out
4. The passenger side A pillar cladding removed
5. The mic space panel (next to map lights removed)
6. The mic wire is run to the unit through the passenger side A pillar
7. The BT control unit is placed below the driver seat (I am sure can be placed below the passenger seat as well but in my case it was the driver seat)
8. The wiring to the control unit is run through the right side of central hub (where the gear stalk etc are placed) - under the plastic cladding

Highlights -

I guess they are more experienced now after having done a couple of installs & while initially they mentioned that it might take more than a day, the entire process started at around 11:30 am & I was done by 3:00 pm.

The module "remembers" upto 4 phones & after the initial pairing the next time it automatically pairs up.

You can work almost the entire piece from the steering wheel buttons.

It reads & lists the phone book & displays the name of the person (if it is in the phone book).

The music is muted if you try to place a call or when you receive a call. Auto unmute once you disconnect.

You can stream the music on your phone through the music system. And I must say that the audio quality is fairly decent - disclaimer - I am no audiophile though.

Oops moment - I started out after cheking everything (apparently not) & as soon as I exited the workshop gate I realized that none of the interior lights was working - not even the boot lamp. Apparently some fuse had blown but as the layout is different in the newer cars it took sometime for them to get it from the computer & finally all was well - this entire thing with the fact that the service guy dropped a spanner or something inside the engine bay & could not retrieve it & had to lift the car up, remove the cladding & then got it out. This whole piece took an additional 1:45 mins & I finally left the workshop almost @ 5:00 pm.

Enjoy the pics (all taken from my BB camera so nothing too great). Also I was booted out & requested not to take pics as they were uneasy as this was not an authorized install on their part - which is very interesting as the job card as well as the bill mentions "bluetooth module installation"

In case you have any questions I'll be happy to answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-vw-bluetooth-kit-7p6035730j.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-drls.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-covered.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-vag-com.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-port.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-diagnostics.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-rcd-1.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-rcd-2.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-rcd-removed.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-connectors.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-glove-box.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-side-panel.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-pillar.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-mic.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-connection.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-rcd-display.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-mid.jpg  

Jet Set Go! Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT. *UPDATE* 2 years and 2nd Service up-mid-2.jpg  

vkaul1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 19:47   #52
BHPian

Hi Vkaul1
Thats a nice car.

I am also in the process of choosing a D1 sedan for myself. My list has few contenders - Laura / Jetta / Fluence. I am confused between Jetta Highline AT Vs MT.

1. Did you test drive both MT and AT?
2. If you did, did you find the driving in AT extra ordinarily superior?
3. For somebody who has driven manual since last 10 yrs, do you think going AT way will make so much difference to justify extra expense of about 1L?

I do have the budget available to take the expensive jump of Highline AT, but I am still thinking as it is about 1L more than MT and there are some rumors of VW DSG box troubles in China and this is an additional complicated mechanical part which can theoretically fail, will be expensive to repair if it does.
Is there an additional service needed for DSG versions? Perhaps oil change?

But these are only my concerns. Enjoy your drive. Your feedback on above doubts will be very valuable for me towards deciding the version (AT/ MT) I should go for.
Old 6th August 2012, 13:37   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Hi Vkaul1
Thats a nice car.

I am also in the process of choosing a D1 sedan for myself. My list has few contenders - Laura / Jetta / Fluence. I am confused between Jetta Highline AT Vs MT...

I should go for.
Thanks dezrskb.

I only test drove the AT & not the MT version. One of my criterion was AT box as wifey would also drive. Also Jetta has significantly better leg space in the back seat over a Laura - this does come v handy on long drives with family.

I have been driving MTs for past 20+ yrs & also have a corolla AT. This AT box is miles ahead of Corolla AT. The D mode is perfect for city as well as relaxed highway munching. However slot it to S on the twisties & it turns into another animal altogether. The throttle responses are much crisper & stays totally in the power band. Having spent 10K + Kms with this I feel that overall stress is reduced by a good margin. However reading about your driving pattern, you might not need an AT at all & MT should be good enough with the savings that come with it. Based on what I have read on the forum the MT also seems to be a slick shifting box. Initially I too was a little worried about the reliability of the DSG but from what I have been able to gather the DSG failures have been reported more from the 7 speed box that is in Superb Petrol than the 6 speed box that is in diesel version. I have opted for additional warranty & do shift to N while waiting at traffic signals to keep it in good health

Hope this helps you to take a decision.
Old 6th August 2012, 14:56   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1

Thanks dezrskb.

I only test drove the AT & not the MT version. One of my criterion was AT box as wifey would also drive. Also Jetta has significantly better leg space in the back seat over a Laura - this does come v handy on long drives with family.

I have been driving MTs for past 20+ yrs & also have a corolla AT. This AT box is miles ahead of Corolla AT. The D mode is perfect for city as well as relaxed highway munching. However slot it to S on the twisties & it turns into another animal altogether. The throttle responses are much crisper & stays totally in the power band. Having spent 10K + Kms with this I feel that overall stress is reduced by a good margin. However reading about your driving pattern, you might not need an AT at all & MT should be good enough with the savings that come with it. Based on what I have read on the forum the MT also seems to be a slick shifting box. Initially I too was a little worried about the reliability of the DSG but from what I have been able to gather the DSG failures have been reported more from the 7 speed box that is in Superb Petrol than the 6 speed box that is in diesel version. I have opted for additional warranty & do shift to N while waiting at traffic signals to keep it in good health

Hope this helps you to take a decision.
Hi vkaul1
Your opinion doesn't help me exactly in deciding on one because it tempts me towards automatic when I'm about to convince myself that i need a manual. But it does reassure me I can't go grossly wrong whichever I choose. Nobody in this forum till date has discouraged me from buying an automatic. But as you said I might choose a manual shift as my needs are different.
Thanks again
Old 6th August 2012, 17:30   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Hi vkaul1
Your opinion doesn't help me exactly in deciding on one because it tempts me towards automatic when I'm about to convince myself that i need a manual. But it does reassure me I can't go grossly wrong whichever I choose. Nobody in this forum till date has discouraged me from buying an automatic. But as you said I might choose a manual shift as my needs are different.
Thanks again
Hi dezrskb..

I read a few of your posts in other threads as well & understand your dilemma.

The DSG AT that is on offer is one of the best shifting gearboxes that I have driven & would compare the shift quality to the beemer auto box. It does the job in the "D" mode & along with the auto headlamps & wipers leaves you peaceful & free to focus on the drive / company as the case may be.

I had a ford ikon before & also have a i20 MT currently. In the highway drives I have not felt the FTD factor being lost anywhere while driving the Jetta. The paddle shifters are a boon on those 2 lane highways & you need to approach the overtaking the same way as you would in a MT. Judge the gap, understand the RPM / power band, and step on it. Now like the MT where you would downshift you can choose the correct gear by using the paddle shifters (without leaving the steering) & step on it. Once the maneuver is over you can upshift with the same shifters & after driving for sometime (maybe a min or so) once the gearbox sees that you are in sync with what it would pick as gear ratios, it goes back to D - automatically.

If you need constant power band & frequent overtakings, then just slot it in S & enjoy the drive.

What I realised after the first few days of driving is that if u want to use the kick down by pushing the pedal; there will be a slight hesitation before it shifts down & takes off. This is where as a MT drivers felt a sense of "loss of control" while driving an AT. But (atleast in Jetta) if you follow what I described above it feels the same - actually slightly better as it gives you the F1 driver kind of feel

That said it is finally your call what you would like to go for. But as far as I am concerned if I get an auto box with true "S" mode & paddle shifters - I don't need an MT

Now having said all the above am not sure if I have helped or confused you even more

Last edited by vkaul1 : 6th August 2012 at 17:32.
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 19:15   #56
BHPian

Quote:

Hi dezrskb..

I read a few of your posts in other threads as well & understand your dilemma.

The DSG AT that is on offer is one of the best shifting gearboxes that I have driven & would compare the shift quality to the beemer auto box. It does the job in the "D" mode & along with the auto headlamps & wipers leaves you peaceful & free to focus on the drive / company as the case may be.

Now having said all the above am not sure if I have helped or confused you even more
Thanks vkaul1
No. You have clarified few doubts I had. You have also made sure that I keep my options open and hesitation to buy an automatic is less now that so many in this forum have re-assured me about the performance of DSG box. Actually I didn't have much doubts regarding its ability but occasional failure reports had put a seed of doubt regarding its reliability in long term. I intend to keep it at least for 5yrs
Old 10th August 2012, 20:29   #57
BHPian

Hi vkaul1
I want to know whether you had an option of Extended warranty of additional 2 yrs / 100,000 Kms when you purchased your car? Was it offered to you? Did you enquire regarding same? Strangely their website says so but the dealers are not saying anything about it. That would make it equivalent to Skoda Shield offered for Skoda Laura.
Old 13th August 2012, 13:24   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Hi vkaul1
I want to know whether you had an option of Extended warranty of additional 2 yrs / 100,000 Kms when you purchased your car? Was it offered to you? Did you enquire regarding same? Strangely their website says so but the dealers are not saying anything about it. That would make it equivalent to Skoda Shield offered for Skoda Laura.
I seem to be the only one who has got it. I have an EW for 4 yrs / 100 K Kms which was bought for approx INR 11K. Interestingly none of the others who have bought the car after that (I booked mine in Sep 2011 & got the delivery in early Oct).
Old 13th August 2012, 13:32   #59
BHPian

Quote:

I seem to be the only one who has got it. I have an EW for 4 yrs / 100 K Kms which was bought for approx INR 11K. Interestingly none of the others who have bought the car after that (I booked mine in Sep 2011 & got the delivery in early Oct).
I talked with the workshop guys. I also mentioned about your warranty. The explanation he gave is that your warranty must be a dealer specific one. If you could look into this and confirm that it is a warranty issued by VW and not the dealer, I can talk to him.
Old 13th August 2012, 14:19   #60
BHPian

Vkaul1,
I had mailed VW India and got a reply that they are working on a revised EW policy and will make it available by Sept 2012. But what I can't understand is how can VW India leave the option of EW with dealer. I mean if something fails after 2 years, the part will be replaced / repaired by VW india / at dealer's cost? If this is so, then what VW India has advertised in their website is misleading. I had also called VW Whitefield Bangalore to enquire regarding this and asked him whether he was aware of what VW India has put up at their website, he turned bit arrogant and there was perceptible change in tone and language. So I preferred ending the call rather than arguing with him.

Also this could be one thing which can turn a potential Jetta buyer to go Laura's way.

Last edited by dezrskb : 13th August 2012 at 14:22.

Most Viewed