Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 22:49   #16
BHPian

Re: My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram R. View Post
__________________________________________________ ______________

Thanks for that mate, she's indeed a beauty! Yes, I've somehow refrained from ripping her untill now, I've done 560kms till now and my top-speed has been around 82kmph.

In my opinion, the reason for Hyundai to come back to 5+1 MT from 6+1 MT
is because:
1. Even Verna CRDI has a 6+1MT, and they need to keep some product USP or differentiator to get better sales.
2. If both their premium selling cars have the same gear-box, that creates more demand for the 6+1MT gear box, which is again a long story involving product and after sales support strategy, but to cut the story short, Hyundai didn't want this demand-burden!

The only thing that is beyond my comprehension is the reason behind removing the gear shift indicator, as it would barely cost Hyundai 1grand per system; it surely ain't for cost cutting, that I'm sure of!
That's a good point that you made. Another point i feel is that Hyundai wants to position this car as a more city car than a highway one. By bringing in the 6th gear Hyundai had made this car an absolute fun and quite economical to drive on highway, but required for a lot of gear shifts within city limits. By bringing it back to 5 speed manual transmission, Hyundai is trying to target the customer segment who basically use car for daily office commute. Hope they do well here.

Drive safe.
Old 1st December 2011, 22:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitKhatana View Post
Thank you for replying to my query. Most of the people who own i20's older version ( one with 6 gears ) have stated that they are not getting mileage of more than 14 kpl.
I have a 6-speed version with 9998 km on the odo and been getting around 17-18 kmpl in city limits and 20-21 in outskirts. But I rarely use 6th gear except during highway drives.

The gear shift indicator hardly matters once one gets used with the gear ratios. I haven't even looked at it from past 3-4 months.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 1st December 2011 at 23:00.
Old 1st December 2011, 23:10   #18
BHPian

I don't know if it is psychological or a true fact but I fond the turbo lag very much under control in the 5 speed version compared to the 6 speed on where the lag effect makes for a glacier like progress. If someone can put some light to this.
Old 2nd December 2011, 00:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ram congrats on your purchase. i20 diesel is best diesel hatch in its segment when performance is the criteria. Enjoy many happy miles!
On a side note you overpaid for the special number 2409 totaling 6. It cost Rs 3000 only on official receipt. The agent made a hefty Rs. 2000 profit. Use multi quote for replying to more than one post.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 2nd December 2011 at 00:34.
Old 2nd December 2011, 00:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitKhatana View Post
Coming to the next issue. You are absolutely right, I am really concerned about the calibre of i20's AC. You know it gets really hot here in our part of the country in the summers. Barring 1 or 2 people almost everyone has complained about i20's AC. I would definitely like to know about it in detail. Please, enlighten me whenever you have some spare time.

Thanks a ton for your valuable advice. Honestly speaking after reading your posts I have made up my mind to go for i20, initially I was unable to decide between i20 and swift diesel. Swift diesel definitely gives great mileage and I havent heard anyone complaining about its AC.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Glad to know that I helped you out dude! Swift ZDI too is a very good car, but honestly, I would beg to differ with folks who claim the swift is more fun loving car than i-20! Its like saying, Angelina Jolie is hotter than Monica Bellucci or Salma Hayek! Lol. That's a very tough statement to make! Similarly, swift has got a better steering response, however everything else it class-leading in the i-20! (except for the suspension part in which Grande Punto is the best and the engine smoothness part in which the Polo is the best!). The point is, if u had to rate each and every factor at a scale of 1 to 10, of the top 5 premium hatches as listed in my original post (swift doesn't in my opinion classify itself as a premium hatch, by the way..;-) ) you will see that the i-20's overall score is far better than the rest! it only loses out on the suspension part! But having said that, the i-20's suspension ain't in no way average (its very good actually), but due to the very tough competition standards it scores 6 out of 10!

The fully auto climate control AC works like a charm; here's the process:

1. It blows-in fresh air initially for a few minutes in full speed (depending upon the humidity and other factors inside the car) whilst the circulation switch below is still Off (during which time you still would feel cool enough, but not "really cool" since the outside air which is usually 35+ degrees is blowing in and getting cooled inside),
2. The system then automatically turns on the circulation button which means, outside air flow is minimised virtually to about 10% and the system concentrates more on circulating the in-car cool air within the car, at which point you're bound to feel cool.
3. Then again when the system recognises it needs fresh air (depending upon the Co2 within the car, i.e. no. of Live people in the car), the circulation button goes Off again and fresh air is brought in and Co2 content inside the car is filtered out and then the whole process above starts again!

I ain't an engineering student, but I've tried my best in enlightening you on this. Hope this helps.

Cheers bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
I don't know if it is psychological or a true fact but I fond the turbo lag very much under control in the 5 speed version compared to the 6 speed on where the lag effect makes for a glacier like progress. If someone can put some light to this.
__________________________________________________ ___

I have the latest one, with the 5-speed MT and the gear shift indicator has been removed in this version (as if riders like Us follow the indicator, ever! lol). The 6-speed MT is something people should refrain from buying at this point since if its available at this point, you can be rest assured that it's an unsold commodity and could have been used as a TD machine or a refurbished item; i.e. sometimes prior to registration, if customers notice any defect at the time of vehicle inspection, they reject that car and a brand new car is allotted to them. Also, the only advantage of the 6th gear is better fuel efficiency during high speeds (120+kmph). Moreover, there are a few disadvantages; the initial pick-up is not that great, turbo lag is evident till the 3rd gear whereas in my car, is not the case. This is courtesy of a much better gear-ratio alignment in the new model, and also due to the fact that the power is now distributed only amongst 5-gears, and not 6gears; which means each gear packs a lot more punch. Simple Math (in which, by the way I was never good at, way back at school, but now it makes total sense! LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Ram congrats on your purchase. i20 diesel is best diesel hatch in its segment when performance is the criteria. Enjoy many happy miles!
On a side note you overpaid for the special number 2409 totaling 6. It cost Rs 3000 only on official receipt. The agent made a hefty Rs. 2000 profit. Use multi quote for replying to more than post.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Thanks for your wishes mate, yea it indeed is a beauty considering both aesthetics and drive-ability!

Secondly, yea, I'm aware that I over-paid, and I could have been stupid in deciding to do so, but just to highlight:
- I wanted 2409, since my D.O.B. is 24th Sept! :-D
- Secondly, the RTO charge is fixed at 3k, if the difference between your desired number and the on-going number series is <1001; i.e. when my car went for registration, the on-going series was 1400 (the last regd. no. was 1412), thus my 2409 no.'s actual cost is 3k.
- However, I know for a fact that if I had to get this done by myself, it would have costed me exactly 3k, but I would have to waste an entire day standing under the sun & dust, outside the RTO office here in Mumbai! Hence, I decided that I'm willing to pay the extra 2k and let the agent do the standing around for me! lol

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd December 2011 at 15:00. Reason: back to back posts... merged
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:59   #21

[quote=Freewheelin_KD;2596035]Hey Ram, congrats on your i20. I feel the i20 has one of the best blacks in the segment, even though it is a solid colour, and makes the car look very classy. Regarding the gear shift, i have never faced any issue relating to slotting of the first gear in my 2500 kms of driving the car however, sometimes the gear slots into third instead of first, especially from standing starts at traffic signals. [quote]

[quote] And yeah, I also didn't get a penny of discount, even after hagling for two days. The only respite was that i got the car within a week of me showing interest and that i could transfer the insurance of my old car thus saving substantially on the premium.[quote]

Incidently, in one of the reviews available online, Hyundai is rated as the Worst Car Manufacturers pertaining to providing discounts offers and freebies to customers. This was a World Wide suvey, and Hyundai stood tall at No. 1. (lol)

[quote] 90BHP, as per my dealer, you cannot get the 6 speed one anymore, not even on order basis. I was getting one but it was manufactured in May. So, I think anybody getting the 6 speed one now will likely be getting a car manufactured prior to June. However I may be wrong and anyone getting a 6 speed one now, please verify the month of manufacture by checking the VIN no. And yeah, that gearshift indicator also left the house along with the 6 speed gear box. [quote]
__________________________________________________ _______

In my opinion, you can't get the 6-speed anymore. If any dealer is offering that it could be:
1. a refurbished one (the ones rejected by customers during initial pre-registration inspection)
2. it could have been used as a test drive machine
If the dealer tells you that it is one of the "brand new....Unsold ones", please don't believe it, since i20 being such a hot selling car, its highly unlikely that its unsold for more than 6 months! (from the time of model discontinuation)

Also, the only advantage of the 6th gear is better fuel efficiency during high speeds (120+kmph). Moreover, there are a few disadvantages; the initial pick-up is not that great, turbo lag is evident till the 3rd gear whereas in my car, is not the case. This is courtesy of a much better gear-ratio alignment in the new model, and also due to the fact that the power is now distributed only amongst 5-gears, and not 6gears; which means each gear packs a lot more punch. The gear-shift indicator is something most 'real riders' won't even look at; you got to "feel" your car, and the gear transmission comes naturally!

Oh, and missed out on informing you on the stickers! (my bad!)
I too purchased it online via the website, and the transaction went through fine. I too used my visa debit card, FYI.
Try doing the purchase again, if you still have any issues, I'd gladly make the purchase for you. Just give me your card details! :-P hehe..(*evil smile)

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

* Last warning. Please read our rules before posting further *

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd December 2011 at 15:03. Reason: back to back posts... merged
Old 18th December 2011, 11:40   #22

Hey Guys, how's it going? Well, I had a question for you which I don't think is neither addressed in my Car Ownership Manual, nor on Team-BHP (as far as I'm aware).
As you all would probably know by now, I own a Hyundai i20 Asta CRDI, took the delivery on 20.11.2011 and have done 1310kms as of 18th Dec' 11! :-D

The question:

Considering the bad and bumpy Indian roads (especially in the city), what, in your opinion, should be the total load capacity of my hatchback?

I'm asking this purely on basis of your technical understanding on 'how to Not screw-up a car's suspension and how to ensure that the car doesn't 'bottom-out' on a pothole or on a speed-breaker"!
I mean, a car's manual might say 350 kilos for instance, but that would have been scientifically calculated either on 'bad-road simulations; a scenario tailor-made for car-testing', which in my opinion is still not as bad as Indian roads! Lol

Thanks a lot.
Old 1st May 2013, 16:26   #23

Hi

I would like to get your personal opinion about i20 back seat ride quality.

For me I had a recent experience by traveling from Kerala to Bangalore of 480 kms in i 20 diesel which is only 4000 kms done.

The back seat comfort is nil for the car. the body roll is very high for i 20 and it is not worth as a premium hatch back in my opinion.

Even the routine maintenance for Hyundai vehicles seems to be very high. For my Accent crdi i paid Rs.30000 for the 80 k service where as my Logan I paid only Rs.12000 for 80 k.

In my personal opinion while buying such a costly small car we should compare other models like nissan sunny, renault scala, ford fiesta, verito, VW polo and vento, Swift dzire etc rather than jump into the conclusion.

One thing you can see that in i20 there are lot of small features which we cannot see in other competitors. Even the look and feel is very good for the car.

The ride quality is very poor in the back seat which makes the driver very difficult to drive in more than 70 kms/hr. Also the low end is very poor which makes us to change the gear frequently while we drive in city. I dont know why people are spending this much money for such a car.

Most Viewed