Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 14:26   #1

Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Guys I have finally got my all new Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) crystal white delivered, and boy am I excited, hell yesssss….!!! She looks like a dream come true; going by the rule and the format suggested by the mods, I would try to fit in everything into the review…..!  Please excuse me for my errors in writing as I just can’t get my eyes off this beauty even while writing.
I started car hunting almost a year ago and took a long time in getting one for myself. I Was looking for a hatchback initially and went through lots of test drives from i20’s, Polo, Fabia, Ritz etc, the state of mind at that point of time: “CONFUSED” ……, mind votes for hatchback but the heart shouts for a sedan….the matter was getting worse day by day and then heart took over mind and I pushed on my budget and started looking for sedans, so the following cars came into the picture (Hyundai Verna Fluidic was NOT launched by that time).

Alternatives that were considered, (all diesels purely because of the economy factor and the sheer joy of turbo kick in these modern days’ machines.)

1. Fiat Linea: liked the looks and the exteriors, but the 1.3 MJD just doesn’t seems to be a perfect fit, the engine was noisy and felt out of breath, the low end power delivery was not sufficient, so it’s good bye Fiat.
2. SX4: Space, looks masculine, reliability of maruti, but the no great feature on list and the quality of the interiors were not like a 10Lac car, so dropped again.
3. Skoda Rapid: for some strange reasons I didn’t like the fabia with a boot rapid and it failed to create any rush of blood.
4. VW Vento: the car is amongst the best in the market, engine has a solid feel, the interiors feels classy and are built to last long, ample of space available in the car for the front and the rear bench, but lack of features compared to the Verna ensured its elimination.

Complete booking & delivery experience from the dealership:

I already have a Santro 2005 model which I got from MGF Hyundai,Faiz road Karol bagh showroom Delhi, the staff in the showroom is very polite and have enough information of the products, I got my santro from the sales executive named Lalit, when I went again for the Verna after a good 6ys he still remembered me and immediately came up to me and made me comfortable, so after a cup of tea and some chit chat I asked about the new Verna CRDI and the reply was “ diesel 4-6 months se pahele nahin milega”….!! I asked for a test drive of the 1.6 SX, it was not available but then he asked me to wait and made some phone calls and the car came in 20 mins from there other showroom, we went for the test drive and I was sold on this beauty by then, paid the booking amount of 75K on 11th Sep and decided to wait the wait… being there old customer he promised that he will try for a quick delivery but asked me to expect it in January 2012, but to my surprise I got a call from him in first week of Nov and asked me to deposit the money as he has arranged my Car, I was on top of the world got all finances ready and Loan done from SBI and made the payment on 25th Nov and got the delivery on 27th Nov, so the MGF guys have done a great job on all fronts.

- On-road price, discounts etc.

I asked for discount and he had a grin on his face “Sir Log 10K premium dene ko ready hain aura aap discount ki baat kar rahe ho”, smiles exchanged that is the only discount/free stuff I got from them.

On road Price (Delhi): 11, 91,000 Rs
Teflon and antirust coating: 7K
Total: 11, 98,000 on Road Delhi.

- Engine type & variant
Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX (O) manual transmission, Crystal White.

- The good and / or bad about its equipment levels
  • Equipment level is pretty cool:
  • Smart key, no keys needed to enter the cars
  • Push button start and stop feature.
  • Reverse camera in the rear view mirror.
  • Bluetooth and audio controls on the steering.
  • 6 Air bags.
  • Leather upholstery
  • ABS
  • ESP
  • factory fitted Music system with USB, AUX, and iPod.
The list is just endless….

- kms completed at the time of writing review

have done around 350 Kms till now out of which 60% was on the highway which is only as wide as Delhi roads and had a 5kms of stretch where the road was nonexistent, only potholes ..!

- Comments on the exterior styling & design:

The exteriors are arguably the best in the market and she has a great looking design which is very catchy, I saw people noticing my car (feels great) and driving close to have a look at the interiors and the external design lines, I personally like the rear of the car, it looks so beautiful from the rear. The side profile is also the highlight of the car, she has sharp line which flows beautifully toward the rear and blend seamlessly, everything from the front grill and the amazing L shaped fog lamps looks great and adds to the premium value of the car, this car us surely a stunner from Hyundai.

- Overall build quality and fit & finish:

The overall build and the interior quality is very good and is completely different from what was on offer from Hyundai in their cars, the dashboard has a rubber matt finish to it and that helps to grip things like cell phones and avoid any kind of reflection from the dash, the doors also shuts with a good” Thud” but not like the Europeans may be because Verna is lighter than the other cars in the segment. Overall the quality is topnotch and feels great.

- Interior space and comfort

Space has always been a critical factor for me as I happen to be a 6 footer just like my dad so I wanted a car with spacious interiors, the Verna offers lots of space, the front seat are very comfortable and feels great to sit on, the rear however doesn't have the kind of support the front seats offer but offers decent space at the back even my dad can sit behind me easily which shows how spacious the car is and the best part is the absence of the floor hump at the rear, so the third person can also fit in, but its best and comfortable with only 4.

- Air conditioner, seat support, ergonomics and other noteworthy interior points

The ACC works great and doesn’t affect the car in terms of pickup; it cools the whole cabin instantly and seems bang on in performance.

- Engine performance & drivability in the city

Engine is a Gem, it’s easy to drive with almost no turbo log on display, once you rev it to 1700 RPM the VGT turbo spools in and she behaves like a cheetah in the jungle, the tall gearing ratio helps in fuel efficiency.

- Engine performance & drivability on the highway

The Engine drives very comfortably on the highways and you can easily cruise around 100 with the car doing 1500 RPM. Even at 100 kames the engine doesn't not feel stressed at all and feels happy to be revved, overtaking is not a problem at all, just pushes the right pedal and she does the needful in a flash.

- Fuel efficiency: City and Highway

I have just driven the Car around 350Kms and the mileage indicator shows 18.5 Km/L as average fuel efficiency which is amazing for such a big car. I feel so happy by cutting frequent visits to the gas stations as compared to my petrol santro.

- Suspension & ride quality

Suspension is on the lighter side, and is a boon in the city and on bad roads, u just won’t feel anything on bad roads, and unlike many other reviews I felt she is very well behaved even at 100kms on the highway and inspires a lot of confidence, no floating like boat or anything.

- Handling, on-road behavior and grip levels

The car handles well and stops in a straight line after braking, the steering is the best part it’s an electronic steering and is very light, the grip however is very sold and firm to hold.
It feels light on low speeds and gain weights automatically once you build up some decent speed, which is an excellent feature results in great handling.

- Any particular likes

Great design
heavy feature list
6 airbags
Smart key
Good quality interiors
amazingly spirited engine
Spacious and easy to drive
Rear camera
Spacious boot
Cool L Shaped headlamps

- Any particular dislikes

I really find it strange that the power window buttons on the doors does not have illumination into them which makes it a little difficult to operate in night.

Verdict:

Overall the car brings in a lot of premium looks, with some great exterior design and comes loaded with features, the engine is really amazing and the Noise levels are maintained, it’s hard to believe that the diesel motor is so silent, it does sound on a higher note when u crank up the car but then settles into a nice rhythm as u build speed, the interiors are roomy and spacious and I would rate it as one of the best car with a great value for money.

Attached some pics of the car
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket-full-flesh.jpg  

Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket-balcony.jpg  

Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket-side-profile.jpg  

Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket-rear-shot.jpg  

Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket-cockpit.jpg  

Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket-rear-seats.jpg  

Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket-night-vision.jpg  

Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket-speedo.jpg  

abhi_k007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 15:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket

Nice and crisp write up, Congrats on the great looking car!

Wishing you happy ownership of this beauty!

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th December 2011 at 15:40.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 15:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats abhi_k007.

Very good write up there. I was a little surprised that you did not like the Rapid.

Fluidic Verna undoubtedly is one of the best looking sedan (I like Linea too). The overall package is tremendous and unbeatable. If someone is using it mostly inside city, then its a gem of a car. The fit & finish is mind blowing and every corner oozes quality.

Please upload more pics.

Wishing you many happy miles with the beauty.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 7th December 2011 at 15:41.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 15:54   #4
BHPian

Congrats on getting the beauty.

Since you have driven both Verna and Vento, I would ask you, how would you compare the Vento against Verna? I know for a fact that Verna is cutting into the sales of most other sedans in this price range.

Off late, I am seeing many people buying white colored car. May I ask you why you chose white? It definitely looks good, but isn't it difficult to maintain? My friend recently bought a white colored City!
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 16:03   #5
BHPian

Congratulations buddy, Welcome to the family. Your joy of raiding will only get better and better once you start munching on more Km's. Keep the thread going as you progress through your journey.
shenoytech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 16:07   #6
BHPian

Abhi,
First of all congratulations on getting your brand new Verna. The car looks great and white color makes it all even better.
By the way, during the test drive, did you get a chance to drive the car at high speeds? I have seen a lot of people criticizing the Verna because of its high speed instability.

Any accessories planned?
Old 7th December 2011, 17:00   #7
BHPian

Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket 'with an unsure trajectory' (talking about the handling)

Sorry couldn't help but say that, though it's my favorite car of the segment, so much that I made my brother buy it few months ago.
Old 7th December 2011, 17:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. The car is a head turner. And it looks best in white. Wishing you many happy miles in it.

PS: Excellent write up.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 21:08   #9
BHPian

Was waiting for a new review of the Verna and now its finally come!

Congratulations Abhi!!
looks gorgeous. I have seen till date only whites and silver Vernas, with one or two grey.We have almost decided in on the Verna,black sx(o) petrol but just waiting for the refreshed city(dad is Honda fan!)!

Does the Verna come with ESP? its not mentioned in the team bhp review? or is it?
Planning any mods?? upgrading of ICE?
Old 7th December 2011, 21:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the SX(O) !

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_k007 View Post
...- Engine performance & drivability in the city ...
How do you find the clutch ? Hard/comfortable?
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 21:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Oh my God! Just look at the car man! Any disadvantages or niggles that the Hyundai Verna has can be excused just for its awesome looks.

By the way, congrats on your purchase. Wishing you many years and miles of happy motoring in the car. Being a Hyundai, you can rest assured of a hassle-free ownership and supreme reliability.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 00:41   #12

Congrats Abhi. I too have booked SX(O), hope it should get delivered by this month.

I have asked this question before in another thread, but no response. Have you checked the difference in the Instant FE display when you switch on the AC and when it is off? Can you share the numbers?
Old 8th December 2011, 08:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Abhi on your aquisition. Verna is a good car though it has received some flak in here. We need more owners of Verna to come up with their ownership reviews. Hope you always have the same excitement to drive the car.

Since you are driving on highways mostly, go through the T-bhp official review thread (towards the end). Existing owners of Verna has posted suggestions on how to overcome the soft suspension setup.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 09:18   #14
BHPian

Congratulations Abhi, I also admire this car for it's very clear and prominent lines.
You bought top of the line, which really gives a feeling of all the gadgets.
18kmpl is surely good figure. it should increase with more running for sure.
Let us know if you have plans for tire upgrades.
Enjoy the ride of the beast.

Last edited by Nicky : 8th December 2011 at 09:20.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 10:48   #15
BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase, the "Beauty and the beast". This car in particular looks the best in White. Before I purchased my Fabia, I had test driven this and I was quite impressed with the power and how quickly it can accelerate. Anyway, this was over my budget and had to leave it at that.

One problem I faced during the test drive was that, it was scraping almost every other hump in the road (quite badly that too). How has your experience been with road humps in the initial drive?

Enjoy your new car and drive safely

Cheers
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks