Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2011, 22:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ready to reclaim my life with my New Tata Safari Dicor

Another madness!

Great thread! great buy! Indias most loved SUV. Happy miles. Keep her safe.
Old 19th December 2011, 23:20   #32
BHPian

Congratulations on your excellent acquisition. Looks lovely in white. One thing that I realized after I got my safari was I was driving a lot more and taking a lot more photographs. Let us also see lots more.
Old 20th December 2011, 08:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
Congratulations on your excellent acquisition. Looks lovely in white. One thing that I realized after I got my safari was I was driving a lot more and taking a lot more photographs. Let us also see lots more.
Thank you simpleman. Thats quite true, I am also driving a lot now and taking it for even small distances which I used to do on my Honda Aviator earlier. I can take photographs of this beauty all day, every angle has an expression of its own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Another madness!

Great thread! great buy! Indias most loved SUV. Happy miles. Keep her safe.
Thank you Alphakilo, I guess its obsession
Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
Congratulations buddy! The safari indeed looks quite intimidating. Good to see that you had a good dealer experience too.
Thank you shantyrocks. My dealer is still new compared to other dealers like Concorde , Malik cars and Autofin in the city. I guess thats one of the reason I had a good dealer experience. Malik was worst and Concorde was equally good except for their valuation of used cars, did very bad job about it.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th December 2011 at 10:06.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:50   #34
BANNED

Wishes Harish

Just wondering the greatness of this monster ever refuse to lose its charm even more than decade on the battlefield
Old 20th December 2011, 12:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadeep View Post
Wishes Harish

Just wondering the greatness of this monster ever refuse to lose its charm even more than decade on the battlefield
Thank you sivadeep. Thats true, its charm is still influencing the current generation and will continue for generations to come.

Current ODO reading is 624kms. I am planning to take my buddy for first long drive this weekend. Any tips or points that I need to keep in mind? Please advise.

Note from TBHP Support : Please use the Edit button to edit your previous post, if posting within 30 mins of previous post.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 20th December 2011 at 13:14. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz see note in post.
Old 20th December 2011, 13:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congrats harry for the lovely Safari, I am also browsing the forums to have better insights over safari so that even i can own one, there is a significant difference in price between EX & LX but not feature wise, i also came to know that we can get the features like Roof Mounted Rear A/C fitted in LX from the factory itself, that means i can customize the safari from the factory and apart from that is there any significant difference that justifies paying 2 lacs
Old 20th December 2011, 13:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Congrats harry for the lovely Safari, I am also browsing the forums to have better insights over safari so that even i can own one, there is a significant difference in price between EX & LX but not feature wise, i also came to know that we can get the features like Roof Mounted Rear A/C fitted in LX from the factory itself, that means i can customize the safari from the factory and apart from that is there any significant difference that justifies paying 2 lacs
Thank you ruchirtnt. The major differences between LX and EX are

1. Immobilizer
2. Body colored bumpers
3. Roof A/C
4. No music system with speakers.

Even I had the same opinion and enquired about the details. Item 2 will cost you 16k from factory, item 3 will cost you 25k from factory ( I dont remember the exact price they told me) and music system depends on you taste and budget.

The key differentiating factor is immobilizer which the factory wont fit in LX for additional cost. I plan to take my Safari to remote places and may not always have a decent parking spot, security is a prime concern for me. You can also opt for alternatives like gear locks , steering locks

I hope this helps.
Old 20th December 2011, 14:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1983 View Post
Thank you jkdas,

1. I opted for 2+2 years (150000kms) extended warranty for Rs7500
2. I dont have the $ to change all the tyres at the moment as I plan to invest in the ICE and GPS.
3. Upgraded to Phillips 90/100 essential power as I could not fine Rally in most of the shops in Hyderabad. However the dealer said it won't need a relay kit as the default setup can handle it. But I am not sure. Will I overload it without a relay?

I was charged Rs6800 for the seat covers
Lesson 1: DONT believe the dealer.

Get a relay else get a letter from him saying that he recommended upgrade with the need for a relay.
Old 20th December 2011, 14:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Lesson 1: DONT believe the dealer.

Get a relay else get a letter from him saying that he recommended upgrade with the need for a relay.
Thank you. I will get a relay today or tomorrow before I my weekend trip
Old 20th December 2011, 14:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1983 View Post
Thank you ruchirtnt. The major differences between LX and EX are

1. Immobilizer
2. Body colored bumpers
3. Roof A/C
4. No music system with speakers.

Even I had the same opinion and enquired about the details. Item 2 will cost you 16k from factory, item 3 will cost you 25k from factory ( I dont remember the exact price they told me) and music system depends on you taste and budget.

The key differentiating factor is immobilizer which the factory wont fit in LX for additional cost. I plan to take my Safari to remote places and may not always have a decent parking spot, security is a prime concern for me. You can also opt for alternatives like gear locks , steering locks

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply, that means apart from Immobilizer i can get all things done, sounds good, i can have the best of the ICE, speakers, Alloys, Seats and others in the car while taking the roof AC and Body color bumper from Safari
Need to study more
Old 20th December 2011, 14:41   #41
BHPian

Hi Harry,

Congratulations on getting new Safari. The entry of Safari is intimidating and looks like it is decending from heaven.

I took a test drive of Safari over the weekend and I am totally hooked and now I am debating when to take teh plunge.

Congrats again and awesome set of pics.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 14:50   #42
BHPian

Congratulations on buying this awesome Buddy. Good photographs - of the Gorgeous Looking Safari. Happy reclaiming your Life. Bet you must be grinning like a Cheshire cat every-time other vehicles scram out of your way.
Old 20th December 2011, 15:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Congratulations on buying this awesome Buddy. Good photographs - of the Gorgeous Looking Safari. Happy reclaiming your Life. Bet you must be grinning like a Cheshire cat every-time other vehicles scram out of your way.
Thank you Prowler. You are right , I get the way most of the times whey they see him in the rear view mirrors. If not I make my own road
Old 25th December 2011, 14:35   #44
BHPian

1600Kms Update:

I came back from a 1000kms trip to some good temples in Kurnool District, AP. This trip helped me understand all the aspects of power, handling, comfort of my new ride as I drove through some worst roads for hours. Also some minor problems surfaced.

I did not have much oppurtunity to drive flat out and enjoy the performance as I am mainaining a max speed of 90kms. However, the vehicle responded very well while overtaking. Very less fatigue and strain after a long drive. While coming back home and after crossing the 1500kms mark, I did some speed tests and enjoyed the experience of reaching triple digits in very short time. I am impressed with its stability at high speeds .

When it comes to handling, its little hard on gear and clutch compared to my old Zen. I think thats something I need to get used to. Driving at night is much more easier now as I can see the complete road and suprisingly the lights from other vehicles dont irritate me as much as they used to do earlier. I think its because of the height, the lights now are at a lower angle than in Zen. Braking is very good if applied gradually, sudden brakes cause lot of roll.

About comfort, I am very happy with the money invested. I drove over 3 hours on very bad roads/no roads. Wife did not complain about discomfort, to draw a comparision we felt like we are going over a bad road in the city in a small car. Overall the tires and suspension provided great cushion on bad roads.

Last but not the least minor issues:

1. Right rear door wont close normally, it needs hard push.
2. Clutch started giving some sound when pressing.

I gave it for first service and am waiting to get it back. Let see if they can solve the reported issues

Some photographs from the trip.

Waiting to take a plunge
Ready to reclaim my life with my New Tata Safari Dicor-dsc_0070.jpg

Ready to reclaim my life with my New Tata Safari Dicor-dsc_0074.jpg

Ready to reclaim my life with my New Tata Safari Dicor-dsc_0072.jpg
Old 26th December 2011, 11:16   #45
BHPian

Its 3pm and its time to take my buddy back from the Tejaswi motors service center. I went at sharp 3pm and as it was Sunday, I had tough time locating the service advisor as he was having tea in a near by tea stall. He said its ready and brought it over. I was shocked to see that there were grease marks on the seats , interior of side doors, near the jack also the mats, net were removed for cleaning and not placed back.

About the two issues I reported
1. Right rear door not closing without a hard push - he said it will get little tight in few days as it is new. I never heard something getting tight after usage. I did not want to argue with him as I already made up my mind to speak with the GM of the service center whom I know from my cousin.
2. Vibration in 5th gear- I think nothing was done about it as its still present.

I had to wait 45mins to get the stains cleaned and atleast they did it well.

I drove some 20kms this morning and it sounds and feels great.

Most Viewed