Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2011, 18:07   #46
BHPian

Re: Ready to reclaim my life with my New Tata Safari Dicor

I am planning to get under body anti-rust treatment after giving it a great thought as I read a lot on the other thread that its not required on modern cars. However, I like the results of sound deadining etc so am going for it. I went to 3M car care in Madhapur Hyderabad, the sales man showed me two options. One with 2 year warranty and the second with 5 year warranty. The first one costs 2025 plus taxes and the second one is 3725 plus taxes. They are going to inspect and touch up every 6months for 5 years.

I need to check the price of Wruth being offerred in Tata showroom.
Old 29th December 2011, 18:48   #47
BHPian

Got 3M sunfilm installed on side and rear windows. The variant I selected is 3M Color Stable (CS) 35.

More details on CS series on 3M India: CS Series

I got it installed from 3M Car Care Hyderabad for Rs 6400. They did a very good job and also gave a complimentary foam wash and vaccum. It comes with 3 year warranty. I am still thinking about getting sunfilm on the front windshield.
Old 29th December 2011, 22:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1983 View Post
I am still thinking about getting sunfilm on the front windshield.
Front windshield sunfilms, though effective, are quite expensive. So, unless you have to park your vehicle in the sun all day long [like I do, no covered parking at work :-(], I wouldn't recommend it. Moreover, the Safari has a more than decent AC with roof vents for the middle row. So it's not as if the front windshield sunfilm is a MUST for your Safari.

You'd be better advised to spend that money on diesel and go on a nice long trip!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 29th December 2011 at 22:57.
Old 30th December 2011, 10:05   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Front windshield sunfilms, though effective, are quite expensive. So, unless you have to park your vehicle in the sun all day long [like I do, no covered parking at work :-(], I wouldn't recommend it. Moreover, the Safari has a more than decent AC with roof vents for the middle row. So it's not as if the front windshield sunfilm is a MUST for your Safari.

You'd be better advised to spend that money on diesel and go on a nice long trip!

Cheers,
Vikram
Thank you Vikram, well said. I will do just that.
Old 17th January 2012, 19:43   #50
BHPian

Did a 1750 kms trip over the weekend to Vizag. The performance was great. I got a milage of 12.4 overall. I noticed the outside fog is coming through the A/C vents. I believe I read about this problem on the Safari problems thread. Overall I am happy with the vehicle at the moment.
Old 1st February 2012, 21:13   #51
BHPian

Completed the second service at Tejaswi motors. The odo was only 4200 but had to do because a long trip is on cards.

Tejaswi was offerring 50% discount on Anti Rust treatment by Wruth. I got the underbody treatment done for 1550 plus tax. Total 1750/-

The vehicle is smooth after the service and I am pleased.

Coming to the trip, took friday off after republic day and did a 2500kms trip Hyderabad->Vizag, Vizag->Puri, Puri-> Vizag and Vizag->Hyderabad (Details coming soon in a travelogue)

As usual the performance was great. However, the vehicle was pulling to left after second service and I became aware of it only after travelling halfway to Vizag. As my schedule was tight, I did not bother to fix it in Vizag only to know that its a very bad decision later

On my way back to Hyderabad from Vizag on NH5, I was over taking a truck which was on far left and he suddenly started coming right infront of the car without any signal. I slammed the break and pressed the clutch and managed to slow down to 20kmph from 110kmph but the vehicle was pulling to the left all the time and by the time it came to halt I hit the number plate of the truck on the left fender. The truck driver did not even bother to stop and see what happened behid him even after hearing my horn all the time.

I have a small but deep dent on the left fender. I gave the vehicle at Tejaswi motors again and asked them to replace it under insurance. However, I am currently trying to win an argument saying the incident happened because the car was moving to the left. I took the service advisor and a mechanic on the outer ring road and they experieenced the issue. They did not promise me anything right now.

At the end of the trip the ODO is 7800kms in just 50days. I did not expect this at the time of purchase.

I am glad all of us are safe after the incident and the vehicle needs only a minor replacement. Planning to take it easy on travel for next couple of months but plan to go to Agra to see Taj Mahal soon.
Old 2nd February 2012, 06:57   #52
BHPian

Quote:
On my way back to Hyderabad from Vizag on NH5, I was over taking a truck which was on far left and he suddenly started coming right infront of the car without any signal. I slammed the break and pressed the clutch and managed to slow down to 20kmph from 110kmph but the vehicle was pulling to the left all the time ...
Hi, While @ high speed, never apply the brake along with the clutch. It WILL enable more skidding and braking will be reduced to a great extent.
It should be like applying the brake, followed by down-gearing [with clutch, then release clutch], continue applying brake.

Prem.
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:27   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Did a 1750 kms trip over the weekend to Vizag. The performance was great. I got a milage of 12.4 overall. I noticed the outside fog is coming through the A/C vents. I believe I read about this problem on the Safari problems thread. Overall I am happy with the vehicle at the moment.
It is not the outside fog you see coming in through the ac vent. It is your ac which causes condensation in the moist humid air if there is excess humidity or the outside temperature is cold enough. It is perfectly normal and happens in winter or rainy days.

As for pulling to the left, check the wheel alignment. They attach steel weight to the rims of the wheel and if it falls off, the car may pull to one side.
Old 10th May 2012, 09:21   #54
BHPian

Re: Ready to reclaim my life with my New Tata Safari Dicor(EDIT 10K completed)

I completed 10000kms as of yesterday and am satisfied with overall performance. However, the usual Tata niggles exist. The left front door handle now has a mind of its own and opens after pushing it all the way up. Other than this everything is fine. I did another 1000km trip without any issues.

ODO: 10250
FE: 12km/lt in city (consistent) and 12.7 km/lt on highways

I completed wheel alignment and tyre rotation from a private dealer. He mentioned that one wheel is way out of balance 108gms to be added inside. I don't know why this happenned.
Old 10th May 2012, 09:24   #55
BHPian

Some Pictures from recent trip

Ready to reclaim my life with my New Tata Safari Dicor-dsc_0044040712.jpg

Ready to reclaim my life with my New Tata Safari Dicor-dsc_0033040712.jpg
Old 13th October 2012, 08:53   #56
BHPian

Did some trips within Andhra,

Hyderabad - Vizag - Hyderabad

Hyderabad- Kadiri - Mahanandi - Hyderabad

Now the ODO is 17500 and the performance is still very good. I completed the 15000 service which includes oil change, oil filter etc. The bill came to INR 12000

I am not used to this kind of maintenence as Maruti was very light on pocket.

I am planning a long trip to Darjeeling and Gangtok and would like to know if anything specific changes are required.

Recent pic of safari enjoying beach view in vizag.

Ready to reclaim my life with my New Tata Safari Dicor-dsc_0007_1.jpg
Old 14th October 2012, 10:49   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1983
Did some trips within Andhra,

Hyderabad - Vizag - Hyderabad

Hyderabad- Kadiri - Mahanandi - Hyderabad

Now the ODO is 17500 and the performance is still very good. I completed the 15000 service which includes oil change, oil filter etc. The bill came to INR 12000

How on earth have they charged you 12 grand for a simple 15000 kms service? Were any other parts changed or replaced? Even so i guess your safari shiuld be under warranty.
Old 14th October 2012, 11:41   #58
BHPian

12000 is very high. Please share your service details. Normal service should not cost you more than rs. 4k-5k.
Old 14th October 2012, 19:01   #59
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations Harry.

The beast can stand up to much abuse,
Indian road and condition can throw upon it.

White color seems to suit the monster.

Wish you many miles and smiles with the beast.
Old 14th October 2012, 23:22   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palash987
Hearty Congratulations Harry.

The beast can stand up to much abuse,
Indian road and condition can throw upon it.

White color seems to suit the monster.

Wish you many miles and smiles with the beast.
Thank you Palash987. I am indeed having a great time.
Harry1983 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed