Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2012, 21:25   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari GX : Buying and initial ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Have not used tubeless tires before. Got to know of various methods in bhp forums to fix a puncture. Any specific recommendation?

Would wheel alignment be advisable after fixing this?

Also, I think it will be good to buy a pump with guage - in case if this were to happen away from the city. Preferably powered by car battery. Any recommendations with cost information?
DO you plan to do it yourself? If so, buy a kit first. I would rather suggest you take it to a shop [you can ride the car to some distance at low speeds - the tyre may have some air left; 15-20 psi. Once you see the guys fixing it, if you are interested, you can buy the kit and do future changes [if it comes].

NO; no alignment check required. Please make it a point to do alignment check & rotation every 5K kms - this will increase your tyre life considerably.

Regarding pump, there was a product suggested in the Fortuner ownership threads by @Guiderian & @Nilanjanray - something called LIMI inflator or so. Actually @Nilanjan had recently ordered it. So you could contact him for details.

Edit:: Adding the link. Please read from the below post onwards - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2616102

Edit 2::

Adding two more links:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2484104

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2285821

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th January 2012 at 21:38. Reason: Adding "Edit" & "Edit 2" portions
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 11:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I got the LIMI inflator though haven't used it yet.

Just called up the guy (number on Guderian's thread), gave the TBHP + Guderian reference, transferred the money when they emailed the bank a/c details, and received the LIMI in 2 days.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 21:14   #18
BHPian

See attached the thingy that had gone deep into the tire with a slant angle.

Removing it took quite some effort.

Putting the "patch" material in it took even greater effort. There was a yellowish looking rubber-like material they inserted in the hollow created after removing the nail, from outside.

After this the tire was checked for leaks by dipping into water, though there was nothing visible.

I am not too sure whether this is the method followed everywhere to fix tubeless tire punctures.

Shall I get this checked at some other shop?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari GX : Buying and initial ownership-nail.jpg  

Old 10th January 2012, 16:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
See attached the thingy that had gone deep into the tire with a slant angle.

Removing it took quite some effort.

Putting the "patch" material in it took even greater effort. There was a yellowish looking rubber-like material they inserted in the hollow created after removing the nail, from outside.

After this the tire was checked for leaks by dipping into water, though there was nothing visible.

I am not too sure whether this is the method followed everywhere to fix tubeless tire punctures.

Shall I get this checked at some other shop?
Yes. This is the way the puncture is fixed. It does take a lot of efforts to insert the puncture repair strips in the tyre. No need to check it anywhere else.

Between, very well written review . Wish you many happy miles with your SAFARI!!!
Drive Safe.
PassionateDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 18:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation mayuresh for owning GX variant. I am sure you will enjoy it with your heart every time you sit on driving seat. You'll enjoy it even more during long drives on highway or no highway.

I got this tyre inflator Metal body 12 V Electric Air Compressor Tyre Inflator | eBay from local tyre caring shop for around Rs. 2100 6 - 7 months back. It is of excellent build and doing its work perfectly. Prices seems to came down to Rs. 1750 now on ebay.

Enjoy your Safari!!!
anujmishra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 20:21   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I got this tyre inflator Metal body 12 V Electric Air Compressor Tyre Inflator | eBay from local tyre caring shop for around Rs. 2100 6 - 7 months back. It is of excellent build and doing its work perfectly. Prices seems to came down to Rs. 1750 now on ebay.
This has an analog reader. I prefer digital ones as the analog ones tend to show wrong reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Yes, I got the LIMI inflator though haven't used it yet.
Is that with a digital reader? Can we preset the psi as well [like we do in petrol pumps] ?
Old 10th January 2012, 20:40   #22
BHPian

Thanks anujmishra and PassionateDrive for your replies.

Are there inflators where you can preset the pressue you want to maintain - like they have in tire shops?
Old 11th January 2012, 09:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This has an analog reader. I prefer digital ones as the analog ones tend to show wrong reading.
But it is not always incorrect. I have another analog reader which also give same result as of compressor. Infact many of the digital reader also get screwed due to sensor issues.

Quote:
Are there inflators where you can preset the pressue you want to maintain - like they have in tire shops?
Not required really. Monitoring is few seconds job and you can switch off inflator once it reaches required pressure. In Safari, if there is no puncture hardly there is requirement to fill the air. Even, when I check after a month or so there is no pressure reduction due to tubeless tyres. But in my bike where tube is there I need to fill air every 20 days or so.

Inflators are used once in a while and I think there is no requirement to spend a fortune on these devices.
Old 14th January 2012, 18:38   #24
BHPian

The Owner's Manual has a leaflet asking to register at "Explorer Club". The BRC attached bears address of "OgilvyOne Worldwide". Not sure what the membership is about. Has anyone tried this membership? What is it about?

If I click on "Explorer Club" link (http://www.explorerclub.in/) on Tata Safari home page it seems that the site doesn't exist.

There is another site TATA Safari Club.com | Tips, MODs, Service Guide, Product Reviews, Price List & Guidelines for TATA Safari where I don't find much of discussion forums etc. Anyone tried this site for anything?
Old 14th January 2012, 20:53   #25
BHPian

Congrats Mayuresh,
BTW, how much did the final on-road price come to ? Were there any special discounts now that the new facelift has been launched ?

Cheers
MKPI
Old 24th January 2012, 20:15   #26
BHPian

First servicing after 1 month and at a little over 1100km

Had the first free servicing today.

Following unfortunate incidence was the highlight:

Remote misplaced by TASS

When I reached to pick up the car, which was supposed to be ready by 4pm, they kept telling there is a long queue for washing and it will take "just about 15 minutes" and one hour went by.

Finally it turned out they had misplaced the remote and they were trying to find it out.

Firstly the technical things:

It turns out, since they could not start the car, they pushed it all the way from washing area to the bay. Isn't it bad and risky for the car?

Later on they disabled the security mechanism so that the car could start with just the key. I do not know how they did it though. Isn't it dangerous if it is possible? They did this without requiring the code number that was handed over to me with the remote.

Strangely the central locking, too, got disabled with this. after coming home I had to manually lock each door separately. The spare remote at home did not work, which means they have completely disabled the remote. But I don't know why should that disable central locking as well. Any idea?

The key chain was looking intact and there were no signs of it having fallen off. Somebody had deliberately removed it. Don't know what one stands to gain by doing so.

Besides giving piece of mind to the managers there, where else shall I report this incidence?

The CRM at the SS apologized and offered to provide a replacement remote at home the next day. Hope to get it tomorrow. They will also re-code the spare remote I have to suit new codes.

From security point of view does anyone have any advice on what I should check when I get the replacement remote?

Door handle got two ugly and long vertical marks where paint is completely gone

Was shocking. They have agreed to fix the paint on next servicing. Endorsed so on the job card. I have asked for a copy of the remark. They said they will mail it the next day.

Wash quality wasn't good

There was soap (foam) gathered in the co-driver seat's leg space. Overall it wasn't washed properly. On pointing out, they just cleaned those points with simple cloth. All attention all this while was on loss of remote issue.

Other problems fixed

The lower left horn switch wasn't working.
Bonnet not closing properly.
Fuel lid not closing properly.
Tail gate not opening properly sometimes.
Loose press fits of the overhead handle on co-driver side. Replaced with minor charges.
Squeaks from clutch pedal. Not completely gone.
Steering squeaks. Not completely gone.
Other regular first service checks.

Not related to servicing: Filming work - another poor service experience

I didn't mention before, though the sun film work had to be re-done at least thrice till now and still requires some rework.

1. Firstly at the time of delivery two of the films had air bubbles. They agreed to redo them.

2. Second time around they messed it up again and offered to replace all the films. (Apparently the worker who repeatedly did a lousy job on not only ours but several other cars was fired that day. Feel sad, though can't help.)

3. Third time around they did a near neat job, though air bubbles have developed again for two films.

Today at the time of servicing they were supposed to be replaced. Didn't happen. They have agreed to do it tomorrow.

Cigarette lighter incompatibility issue

The issue is discussed on other thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...standards.html

Today they showed that their own accessories fit in Safari's socket. So they won't be able to provide a replacement. On asking whether I can get it done from elsewhere, they said, that might risk voiding the warranty.

Yet another person at the showroom, however, offered to replace the sockets with the other size. Have to cross check again about warranty with him.

Last edited by mayuresh : 24th January 2012 at 20:34.
Old 27th January 2012, 20:53   #27
BHPian

Just prior to the first servicing had two outings on back to back weekends. One
on rough and hilly roads and one on expressway:

Travelogue of one on the rough roads is here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2656241

The car negotiated bad roads very well without letting us feel the pain as we
were used to in a hatch.

Travelogue for e-way ride is here, which was more exciting ride from driving
point of view:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2659269

For the first time touched a speed of 170 kmph for a few moments when the rpm
meter was showing past 3k. For bulk of the time the speed was between 130-140
kmph. When we "slowed down" it sometimes dropped to about 100-110 kmph - which
was the peak speed with which we used to manage with Wagon R, that too with
good amount of vibrations.

The manual advises not to exceed 110 kmph in the run in period which was about
to be over. So hope it was ok to exceed the limit on this ride.

It was a comfortable ride at above speed range. At certain speeds there were
vibrations felt for a few moments, though they subsided automatically. Not sure
why.

Also crossed 1000km mark during this ride.

Have already posted the servicing experience below. The remote TASS had
misplaced, was replaced and re-coded today. Still got to do something about
those two big deep scratches they have caused on the door handle.

Last edited by mayuresh : 27th January 2012 at 20:55.
Old 28th January 2012, 16:57   #28
BHPian

The first scratch, gift of TASS on first servicing.

First scratch really hurts ...

The manager there recognized what might have caused it. Remedy - will touch up on "next servicing".

Do they mean I have to carry this for 6 months? Am trying to contact the owner and get it touched up faster.

BTW, what will be the cost of replacing the door handle? TASS staff says it's not just the handle. Requires replacing whole door with lock etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari GX : Buying and initial ownership-doorhandle.jpg  

Old 28th January 2012, 17:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The first scratch, gift of TASS on first servicing.

First scratch really hurts ...

The manager there recognized what might have caused it. Remedy - will touch up on "next servicing".

Do they mean I have to carry this for 6 months? Am trying to contact the owner and get it touched up faster.

BTW, what will be the cost of replacing the door handle? TASS staff says it's not just the handle. Requires replacing whole door with lock etc.
They can just mask the rest of the area and paint the handle completely, max 1 hr job for their bodyshop, I think they are just being lethargic, push them to do it in front of you.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2012, 21:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mayuresh - Heartiest congratulations on the Gx. Not sure how i missed this thread. I own a GX too and i had also taken delivery in Dec, 29th of last year.

Well written. Nice to read. Glad to know you are enjoying the ride. The mention of 170 in one of your posts did put a chill thru me..i have never even bothered to check if i can do it.

Good to know that TASS replaced and recoded the remote. Did they give you TWO remotes or just one ? Rather, did you try checking with the spare remote ?

Most Viewed