Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2018, 18:09   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDI. Update: Sold at 9 years and 55,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 View Post
Is there any option to replace the rubber parts when they are slightly worn to stop any leak from happening.
Honestly, as androdev says - best to wait for them to develop a problem and then have them rectified. To be on the safe side, you can always have them inspected during service to ensure there is nothing amiss.
But with most parts, you can't do preventive maintenance.

In the case of my BMW, the rubber beadings started breaking apart after 8 years of ownership, in my Mercedes I don't remember the window beadings to be an issue even after 10 years of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I suspect Mumbai's coastal weather may have contributed to this issue in @lamborghini's case.
Exactly, the weather and also the general poor condition of the road for the past year or so with all the metro construction work going on.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 19:14   #122
GT3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
They may last forever, so why would you want to prematurely replace. Manufacturers would themselves make it a scheduled maintenance if these are mean't be so.
As you answered, the air suspension failures may happen due to other causes also. But as in Lamborghini's case don't you think if the rubber parts that caused the leak had been preventively replaced the issue would not have occured.

Regarding manufacturers making it a scheduled maintenance item, maybe they might follow the mantra "REPLACE RATHER THAN REPAIR". I am a noob in this matter and asked the question to educate myself.
Old 10th May 2018, 12:56   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 View Post
As you answered, the air suspension failures may happen due to other causes also. But as in Lamborghini's case don't you think if the rubber parts that caused the leak had been preventively replaced the issue would not have occured.
Honestly, the compressor did have to work a little harder, but as long as you get the repair done in a timely manner - there is no reason to preventively replace certain parts.
Reason being that each part will age differently owing to the circumstances they are exposed to.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 20:05   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Not so quick update: We finally sold the A6 after a memorable 9.5 years & 55,000 on the odo!

If there's one thing the A6 has taught me, it is that I never appreciated it until it was time to choose a replacement.
Lackluster Audi service, with below average reliability saw this thread bear witness to more grumbles than actual moments of joy!

Thankfully, a lot of grumbles were addressed once I met a fairly decent technical advisor at Audi Service, Kalina in 2019 - referred by a BHPian there hasn't been much to report.
2018: was a fairly relaxed year with nothing out of the ordinary to report. 2018-19 also saw the A6 get new tyres : Michelin P4ST.
2019: with the new service advisor, and a good 2018, we were feeling a little confident to do up the car & use it for another 2 years. We got a full service, engine mounts changed, engine shields which were damaged during an outstation trip fixed, and also addressed three issues faced : oil pressure sensor which showed incorrect fuel level; part of the tail light where the LED had stopped working; and a malfunctioning key. We also got some suspension work done from an independent mechanic (due to time sensitivity).
2020: No complaints, except the Parking Sensors packed up during lockdown when the car was not in use. Since dad's driver was requested to not report to work in light of Covid, I took over his role and drove dad around in this to work + a work related trip to Pune.
And that is when the problem started!

By that, I mean I was completely bowled over with how well this car has aged!
There was one rattle from the driver's side B pillar but apart from that, there was no telling that this car spent 9+ years navigating Mumbai's pothole ridden roads!
The engine was still delivering stellar fuel economy! I've seen figures of 17-18kmpl on a leisurely expressway drive! Performance too is more than adequate in light of newer competitors.
Interiors & Exteriors have aged very well! The basic design theme still feels contemporary even in 2020-21, though a few features would have been nice to have.
And the best part : the ride & stability. The Air suspension, though a pain to maintain, has brilliant ability to handle our roads within legal speeds. An expressway run with it's undulations are barely felt, and neither are small bumps in the city - sharper & bigger ones are definitely felt, but much much better than in many of it's newer rivals.

And therein lied the problem! Which car would replace the A6?
Towards the end of 2020, Dad realized the car was over 9 years & the topic of a suitable replacement was again brought up during dinner. While there was no pressing need, he wanted a change with the following requirements :
1) was clear that while he was open to well maintained pre-owned cars - he didn't want anything bigger. The odd day he may need to drive / want to drive - he is comfortable with the A6 dimensions given traffic, and U-turn just outside our house where the A6 is just able to make it in one go. Tried reasoning against this, but was unsuccessful then, hope to be successful in a few years
2) Preference was towards a new German, with good legroom (him & I are both over 6' and should be able to sit one behind the other) & decent ingress & egress.
3) Petrol since running is low.
4) Sedans preferred though open to non-bulky SUVs (X3 over X5, GLC over GLE, etc). However, this was a tough sell for mom who doesn't like to climb in to cars.
5) He enjoys technology, but enjoys practicality more. Didn't want unnecessary gizmos, low profile tyres, etc. which would not be used but cause maintenance issues since it's going to be chauffeur driven, but liked the rear seat audio controls, premium sound system, a usable boot etc.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned elsewhere in this review, the A6 had spoiled us when it came to build, ride. One would assume that the newer generation of vehicles should be better in this regard, but that was not the case.
This resulted in several popular cars being dropped out including the popular E Class (ride, boot space, and maintenance), 5 series (very tempted, but legroom wasn't great & neither was boot space), 3LWB (low seating, expensive pricing) & the final contenders were the A6 (with the air suspension removed, all the other plus points remained at an attractive price with good warranty coverage & finally a semi-decent technical advisor); 6GT (a little bulky, and average looking but a brilliant vehicle overall barring though the air suspension took away from the chauffeur friendly but something we were willing to live with thanks to BMW's packages); and the Lexus ES (price aside, it met all the criteria and the Hybrid was a cherry on the top though ride was decidedly a notch below our A6).
Thankfully a pre-owned, well maintained ES popped up and we sealed the deal. Got her home over a month ago, and sadly let go of the A6 last week.

Name:  1616340038478.png
Views: 14174
Size:  295.2 KB

But back to the topic, the A6 really set the bar high.
I don't think I would have had so many sleepless nights researching if we had bought the W212 E250 / F10 520D. Though brilliant cars in their respective ways, IMO they have aged a little more than the A6 over the years.

In fact, during the last drive shortly before lockdown & night curfew were enforced in Maharashtra, I found myself wondering if I should just get the car updated & minor work done (idler roller belt started making noise just before we sold, space saver disintegrated due to lack of use, update MMI screen to a newer gen one, and long term switch over to a standard suspension) and continue using her for a bit more; but sadly common sense prevailed as our running has reduced a lot due to Covid & various regulations, with some cars barely being driven once a month at times.

9.5 years later here's the long-term likes & dislike list:

1) Looks stunning! A good detailing, and it will still make heads turn despite being a generation old
2) Interior quality is brilliant & has aged well barring the driver's seat which is showing cracks.
3) Overall build quality : One rattle despite it's age & road conditions is remarkable. From my experience with Mercedes, BMW, VW/Skoda, Toyota, etc., this would be right up there with Toyota.
4) Air Suspension results in a very comfortable ride, excellent highway stability, and good handling.
5) Fairly well equipped with it's 4 zone AC, real leather seats, Air Suspension, etc. Missing very few features from today's cars & probably outdoes some of them.
6) Superb NVH

Meh:
1) Engine & Gearbox is average for this segment & more than adequate for daily commuting
2) Low-ish rear seat
3) Numb & light steering is great for the city & cruising, but not for the enthusiast in you

Dislikes:
1) Audi Service Quality in general
2) Random electrical / sensor glitches
3) Air Suspension maintenance, though I hope these are improving in reliability.
4) Sleepless nights : be it for maintenance or while figuring out a suitable replacement

This in my opinion could be a great pre-owned purchase with it's low resale value.
Look for a later model (more localised parts better suited for our conditions & niggles should be taken care of), keep some change aside for maintenance (a lot of parts are common with other VWAG products so finding a good mechanic & sourcing parts would be easier), and finally - switch over from the air suspension to a regular suspension.

I did try & price it right though when listing on T-BHP Classifieds: a win-win for a potential end-buyer enthusiast who could've gotten it much cheaper than through a broker allowing them a fair amount of room to carry out maintenance / suspension upgrade; whilst I knew the transfer of ownership is done properly & pricing is slightly higher than dealer prices I was being offered but much lower than their selling prices in hopes of a quick sale.
Sadly, a dealer won with the best price & with impending lockdown it was sold to them, and listed for a fair margin above my asking.

Some pictures from my last drive :

2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDI. Update: Sold at 9 years and 55,000 km-img20210319wa0097.jpg

2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDI. Update: Sold at 9 years and 55,000 km-img20210319wa0091.jpg
lamborghini is online now   (63) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 11:36   #125
BHPian

Re: 2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDI. Update: Sold at 9 years and 55,000 km

Some cars just age like fine wine.

A nice ownership this must have been. With a car that punches quite above it's weight. The Lexus is a good replacement. But it won't teach you much :P

Enjoy the new car. Cheers to one hell of an ownership.
viXit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 12:18   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

We got a full service, engine mounts changed, engine shields which were damaged during an outstation trip fixed, and also addressed three issues faced : oil pressure sensor which showed incorrect fuel level; part of the tail light where the LED had stopped working; and a malfunctioning key. We also got some suspension work done from an independent mechanic (due to time sensitivity).
2020: No complaints, except the Parking Sensors packed up during lockdown when the car was not in use.

And the best part : the ride & stability.

I found myself wondering if I should just get the car updated & minor work done (idler roller belt started making noise just before we sold, space saver disintegrated due to lack of use, update MMI screen to a newer gen one, and long term switch over to a standard suspension) and continue using her for a bit more;

Attachment 2146275
I'm on the other side of the gates here, your help would be invaluable! I own a A6 2010 C6 3.0TFSI.
I'm looking to replace these parts too; could you share the source and tentative part costs please?

1. Engine Mounts (front engine mount already replaced, the other two need replacement).
2. Tail light - plastics have become brittle and need replacement.
3. Parking sensors: one sensor in the front has malfunctioned and needs replacing.
4. MMI screen has a 1 inch dead area on the left and the rest functions normally.

On a different note, forgive my ignorance, but how does the failed oil pressure sensor mess the fuel level?
It would be vastly helpful if you could please share the tentative costs of those 4 parts above. A big "thank you" in advance.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st April 2021 at 21:53. Reason: Please avoid typing in all caps
bhargav2015 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 16:04   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav2015 View Post

1. Engine Mounts (front engine mount already replaced, the OTHER TWO NEED REPLACEMENT),
2. Tail light - plastics have become brittle and need replacement.
3. Parking sensors: one sensor in the front has malfunctioned and needs replacing.
4. MMI screen has a 1 inch dead area on the left and the rest functions normally.

On a different note, forgive my ignorance, but how does the failed oil pressure sensor mess the fuel level?
Hi Bhargav,

Since this is the C7, prices would be different.

1. They changed two mounts at approx ₹12,000 each + labour
2. The portion that was replaced cost approx ₹22,000 + labour
3. Full set with wiring was approx ₹20,000.
4. Not sure. My screen was perfect thankfully. Look at after market options too which could support additional connectivity like Android auto / Apple car play

You're right about the fuel level. It was oil level, which I incorrectly mentioned as fuel level.

Audi service centers, at least in Mumbai were running campaigns where they were offering 20-25% discount on spares + labour at the time so we got the work done from them.
However, would suggest checking with a reputed independent too who may be able to do this work at a fraction of the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Some cars just age like fine wine.

A nice ownership this must have been. With a car that punches quite above it's weight. The Lexus is a good replacement. But it won't teach you much :P

Enjoy the new car. Cheers to one hell of an ownership.
Thank you buddy!

The ownership was eventful definitely, but with a not so great driving experience, I truly didn't appreciate the car much and would happily park myself in the rear.
This changed in 2018-19 : we sold off our E60 525d & remapped Laura in 2017, which were my default picks for highway trips; so the A6 saw me behind the wheel a little bit more often, especially with family. Thats when I began appreciating it's qualities.
Increase in number of speed cameras & traffic from various infrastructure construction activities only helped it's case
And since covid started, I've pretty much been dailying it to & fro work with dad.

I hope the Lexus doesn't involve much teaching.
As I've gotten older, and more involved with work - my leanings towards fill it, forget it cars are increasing as more often than not they will be chauffeur driven. Thankfully there still are a couple of fun options in the family garage - and also some Germans which I'm sure will impart more teachings.

Looking forward to the ES now. From the little I've driven it, compared to the A6 , they have very similar characteristics:
1) FWD
2) CVT
3) Rear legroom is better than most peers (E class aside, but it really felt like I was a chauffeur and the lack of features didn't help)
4) Light controls, good visibility, easy to drive
5) Good build quality : perceived in the case of the Lexus - time will tell

The ES goes further and improves on:
1) Perceived Service quality, Lower Maintenance costs
2) hybrid returns great fuel economy and is cleaner
3) Rear seat comfort is slightly better with recline, audio controls, AC controls, etc.
4) Little better equipped with the ML sound system, full size spare, etc.

That being said: I expect the Audi to be better on the highway unlike the soft ES, and the better ground clearance was a boon! The ES won't be seeing unfamiliar roads as much.
lamborghini is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 16:08   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Hi Bhargav,

Since this is the C7, prices would be different.

1. They changed two mounts at approx ₹12,000 each + labour
2. The portion that was replaced cost approx ₹22,000 + labour
3. Full set with wiring was approx ₹20,000.
4. Not sure. My screen was perfect thankfully. Look at after market options too which could support additional connectivity like Android auto / Apple car play

You're right about the fuel level. It was oil level, which I incorrectly mentioned as fuel level.

Audi service centers, at least in Mumbai were running campaigns where they were offering 20-25% discount on spares + labour at the time so we got the work done from them.
This is AWESOME. Thank you.
bhargav2015 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks