Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2011, 12:42   #31
BHPian

re: Hyundai Eon - Initial Ownership Review. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahen_narang View Post
that gives a calculation of about 15.1KMPL so far. But if you are interested in EON, i vote for the car but do check it out and form your own opinion.
Thanks Mahen. Superb Mileage indeed. Its equal to my Ford Figo diesel.
Will check out the car indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Dont mind me asking, but why would you want to downgrade your WagonR to an Eon? Isn't it a downgrade of sorts? I agree that the Eon is competent, but can it compete with a WagonR?
Its neither an upgrade or a downgrade. Just a change of car.
My requirements are - Commuting vehicle for office. So my wife will be the only person in it about 98% of the time.
She needs enough luggage space for a handbag.
Mileage is paramount too. No long highway trips on this. City champion required.
Superb after sales service.
High quality interiors.
Stylish looking car that is cheap but does not look cheap.
I've had enough of Maruti for quite a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Brix, if you consider the discounts, I guess you could get a WagonR LXi or a A-star LXi for ~4L.
My wife places looks on the top of the list. Me thinks - EON is the best looking out of the lot. The Maruti stable has lots of cars looking like they have been designed by Frankenstein. Very oddly shaped. Practical but not pretty. Besides the car will be parked outside so I dont want to hike the budget. And since its small, the lady will find it easier to drive through traffic and park easily too.

Any other suggestions considering my requirements? I will take a look at the A-Star too.
Old 26th December 2011, 16:40   #32
BANNED

Congrats Mahen! Just a small question that I have, why is the number plate background in RED colour. AFAIK RED number plate is permitted for test vehicle/ Special Permission.
Old 26th December 2011, 18:42   #33
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mahen. The car looks latest among all the other cars in the segment. Good to hear about the mileage. Happy and Safe Motoring.

@Brix - Mahen seems to drive mostly in New Mumbai which has far better roads and decent traffic than Chennai. Please do a double check on the mileage part here.
Old 26th December 2011, 20:07   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Thanks Mahen. Superb Mileage indeed. Its equal to my Ford Figo diesel.
Calculating FE on the auto cut-off of the same dispenser from the same petrol station is one reliable method. Done repeatedly will give a reliable average FE of the car.

I thought the Figo diesel car would have had a better FE than the 15kmpl you get on your vehicle. Are the road conditions or your driving style the reason behind the FE?

Quote:
Mileage is paramount too. No long highway trips on this. City champion required.
From what I've noticed on my i10, getting an FE which is close to the ARAI certified FE is almost impossible. Same could be the case with the Eon's certified ARAI FE. Having said that, the Eon should deliver a good FE and I would be interested to know the FE readings in real life conditions.

Quote:
I've had enough of Maruti for quite a while now.
Any reason for your disappointment with Maruti?

Quote:
The Maruti stable has lots of cars looking like they have been designed by Frankenstein. Very oddly shaped. Practical but not pretty.
Quite true. Most Maruti cars are renowned for their utility rather than their beauty (or lack of it).

Quote:
Any other suggestions considering my requirements? I will take a look at the A-Star too.
Given your requirements for a small car, I would strongly suggest the Santro. I know it may be perceived to be an outdated model, but it has...

* An excellent tried and tested 1.1L 4-cylinder engine.
* Good steering feedback.
* Awesome low-end torque.
* Small turning radius, easy to negotiate traffic within city.
* Great cabin and boot space.
* Easy ingress and egress.
* Great AC.
* Cars readily available and no long waiting periods
* Pan India service presence.
* Great resale value.

In addition, you may get some good discounts on a new Santro at this time of the year. In fact, if I am in the market for a second car, I would have preferred a Santro to the Eon, as the Santro may well be priced close to the Eon, after the various discounts and loyalty/corporate schemes for the Santro.

For your info, the specs of the two cars are as follows:

Car---------L----------W--------H----
Santro---3565 mm---1525mm---1590mm
Eon------3495mm---1550mm----1500mm

Santro is, in fact, narrower than Eon by only 2.5 cms and is longer than Eon by only 7 cms. So, nearly the same sized cars, but biggest benefit of the Santro is its height to enable easy entry/exit.

Last edited by misquitas : 26th December 2011 at 20:09.
misquitas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 10:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuru View Post
Congrats Mahen! Just a small question that I have, why is the number plate background in RED colour. AFAIK RED number plate is permitted for test vehicle/ Special Permission.
The pictures are taken on the second day of the delivery of my car and the registration had not happened till then. The TC number was on my car for the first five days until the registered number plate was put. So neither is it a test vehicle nor it is a special permission case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Congrats Mahen. The car looks latest among all the other cars in the segment. Good to hear about the mileage. Happy and Safe Motoring.

@Brix - Mahen seems to drive mostly in New Mumbai which has far better roads and decent traffic than Chennai. Please do a double check on the mileage part here.
Got the tank full (Auto Cut OFF) yesterday and will report more accurate mileage figures later on.
I drive in the Mumbai Suburbs and the roads are not really good in these parts, ofcourse they have got better post rains.

Quote:
Calculating FE on the auto cut-off of the same dispenser from the same petrol station is one reliable method. Done repeatedly will give a reliable average FE of the car.

From what I've noticed on my i10, getting an FE which is close to the ARAI certified FE is almost impossible. Same could be the case with the Eon's certified ARAI FE. Having said that, the Eon should deliver a good FE and I would be interested to know the FE readings in real life conditions.
Thanks Misquitas, will follow your suggestion and get Auto Cut Off done from the same dispensor every time.
I too am keen to get accurate FE figures, you have rightly said about the ARAI FE ratings, those are done in lab conditions and hence one may never get the same FE.
Old 27th December 2011, 11:04   #36
BHPian

I dont know in other cities but here in Mumbai some dealers are offering discount on the EON as well . I was on a lookout for a another car for the house (strict city only runs ) and found the EON to be the cheapest available option after NANO and the Alto lxi.

Have booked an Era Model @ 3.46 Lacs OTR Mumbai . Expected delivery is next week.

Post discount price i was offered for Alto vxi K10 was 3.75 and i10 Era was 4.10 .
I dont recollect the Chevy Spark price i was offered but i think it was about 3.8 to 3.9

So guys with the discounts on offer Eon deal is bang into VFM Category.
What was surprising was that not all dealers are ready to pass on discounts to the customers . Anyway will start a new thread once i get delivery in hand in coming week.
Old 27th December 2011, 11:10   #37
BHPian

Got the FIRST FREE SERVICE done at Hyundai's Authorised Workshop at Goregaon, Mumbai.
Not really Happy with it. Here is the story
I had my rear bumper damaged (that was on day 2 of the car) and showed the same to the service advisor. When the technical person checked the same he said that a black bracket that lines the inner side of the bumper is damaged and two of the plastic clips are to be repalced. I was told that the bracket will cost 150Rs + labour charges. i agreed to it and then a workman opened the bumper from the side.
Meanwhile, the technician reported that the workshop did not have the bracket and an order will have to placed for it and that it will take 15 days to come.
Without any choice, I asked them to refix the bumper the way it was. The Workman said that he will just fix a small screw in place of the clip and that should serve the purpose until i changed the bracket. I agreed and he did a good job with it.
They also cleaned the bumper part that was being operated with a polish to do away the dirt and smudges. I appreciated this as well.
While all this was going on, i wonder if someone checked the engine oil, coolant etc in the car. Since i was busy at the rear I did not really see this happening but i was told that all is well.
The car was taken for a wash and so i was left behind from the wash area. The car came out looking clean and fresh.
While two guys got busy wiping the car OFF the water and drying it, i was asked to get the gate pass prepared.
Thats when i was surprised to get a bill of 250Rs. Surprised, i asked for what and was told that this was for the bumper fixing
I had to argue for the same and reached the senior supervisor telling him that the actual work was done on the bumper and just a small fix was attempted. I would had paid if the bracket would have got fixed. He said that if the senior technician from the floor has put the charge then it must be for a reason that the workmen spent time on your car.
I disagreed to bow down, first service, first experience and this is what you get?
The senior technician was called, i argued that they should have checked for the bracket before opening the same, also i should have been told about the charges upfront. The service advisor agreed that neither he nor I (the customer) was informed.
The Senior Supervisor was rude in his behaviour and not ready to budge. I put my foot down saying that i shall not pay for something like this. Surprisingly the advisor supported me and said that not much time was spent on the vehicle and that the charges should be waived off. After a 5 minute discussion, i WON and the charges were waived OFF.

All said and done i came out to collect my car and found that it was not cleaned properly, there were lines of dried water all over. A guy was called to wipe off the car again, however he did a huffy puffy quick hand and ran away.
I was too upset with the argument inside and hence just sat i nthe car and drove OFF.
Oh! did i forget to mention that in the feedback i gave them an 8, which i was told by the lady collecting the same is POOR. i told her about my experince and she smiled to agree.
So, two and half hours of ordeal got over and i drove back home still wondering if everythig in the checklist was done. The bumper took all the attention and on top the unnecessary arguments mad the overall experience a sad one.
EON has next service at 12 months and the third and the last at 24 months.
BTW no extended Warranty offer on EON as yet. The car comes with a standard two year warranty.

Would like to hear from other Hyundai family friends about their experince at servicing the car.
Old 27th December 2011, 11:15   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
I dont know in other cities but here in Mumbai some dealers are offering discount on the EON as well . I was on a lookout for a another car for the house (strict city only runs ) and found the EON to be the cheapest available option after NANO and the Alto lxi.

Have booked an Era Model @ 3.46 Lacs OTR Mumbai . Expected delivery is next week.

Post discount price i was offered for Alto vxi K10 was 3.75 and i10 Era was 4.10 .
I dont recollect the Chevy Spark price i was offered but i think it was about 3.8 to 3.9

What was surprising was that not all dealers are ready to pass on discounts to the customers . Anyway will start a new thread once i get delivery in hand in coming week.
The rates in Mumbai seem to be slightly different than the rates here in Goa. The Eon (Era) is priced at Rs 3.45L OTR (no discounts), Alto K10 VXI is Rs 3.4L (after discount) and the Alto K10 LXI would be cheaper than the Alto K10 VXI by about Rs 20K. Am not sure of the i10 Era rates, though.

But, all the best in your Eon deal and do pen down your ownership experience. The Eon promises to deliver a lot and may it exceed your expectations.
Old 27th December 2011, 11:23   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats Manish, i guess this will be the second EON on the forum.
Can you disclose how much discount were you offered, any free goodies in terms of accesories etc? who is the dealer? what color have you booked?

I did not get any discount and neither any accessory for free.
Looking forward to further updates once the car is delivered to you.

Meanwhile you can also tell us about your test drive experience?
Old 27th December 2011, 12:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahen_narang View Post
Got the FIRST FREE SERVICE done at Hyundai's Authorised Workshop at Goregaon, Mumbai.
So your total bill was Rs 150 only? No Oil change or stuff? That is good. Did you go to Modi Hyundai? Did you book your car from the same dealer? I live in the building bang opposite Modi Hyundai’s service centre. You should see the rush here on weekends. The service centre is jam packed. It is no surprise that these guys hardly give any time on any car. Here are some pictures:
Hyundai Eon - Initial Ownership Review. EDIT: Now sold-19112011633.jpg

Hyundai Eon - Initial Ownership Review. EDIT: Now sold-19112011634.jpg

Hyundai Eon - Initial Ownership Review. EDIT: Now sold-19112011640.jpg
Old 27th December 2011, 12:10   #41
BHPian

I was offered about 23K discount and the dealer has offered to give Mats free . I think Hyundai provide free mats on all the cars because i had got these free on the last two hyundais purchased in the family.

I would not miss the power windows , Hardly roll down the windows anyway . Remote central locking if i install that would be extra.
Hyundai has quoted me 4,500 for their Cobra System ( which is Autocop ).

Does anyone know what price it can be purchased outside , so that would save some bucks.
I have gone for the Blue colour. About the test.

My usual drive is the ANHC. Have an i10 Auto in the family but both these cars are generally not at home throughout the day specially the i10 AUTO. We are a joint family of 10 people in the house and needed a small car that the ladies in the house could drive for doing duties like picking up kids from school , class and hopping around closeby.

My actual budget was for a Nano . However on trial of a nano i was not quite impressed. Frankly i found it a bit difficult to drive and park because of non PS, though i have been driving for close to 10 yrs. The clutch pedal position also felt ackward and i think with long drives it could cause me ankle pain. Maybe its just me.

If i found it not so convenient to drive then Wife too would find it difficult . She is a learner . Even for the Noise level it was rejected by her. She said it sounds rickshaw like.

Eon on the other hand has a PS . Is lot more refined and has decent leg room ( Though less then i10 and Definately lot less than Nano ).

I did a small test drive - with 3 people onboard. My height is 5.11 and have a hefty build. I found the engine good enough to pull you around in city . There are vibrations on the gear no doubt but you can learn to live with it.

There is a lot going FOR it than AGAINST it. AC is superb , Quality of Seats ( FRONT ) is far more comfortable than the NANO . Interiors look fab . It can easily climb up to 60-65 KMPH in no time . In city you will not get an opportunity to go faster .

I did try going faster on empty road and YES it is sluggish beyond 60 - 65 . It will take time to build speeds beyond 65 .
So this clearly is not the car to take on frequent Highway trips and do quick ovetaking maneuvers .

Eon buyers must respect this car for what it is . Good looking , Nice Interior , Small size, and easy to park car to move you around in City and make you feel that you are in a more expensive car whiile offering reasonable level of comfort is what the package offers .

And in my opinion Hyundai has got it spot on . They will get some numbers from people who would otherwise have bought Alto / Nano and at the same time they have their premium hatches like i10 / 20 for people who expect more from their car.
Old 27th December 2011, 14:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
So your total bill was Rs 150 only? No Oil change or stuff? That is good. Did you go to Modi Hyundai? Did you book your car from the same dealer? I live in the building bang opposite Modi Hyundai’s service centre. You should see the rush here on weekends. The service centre is jam packed. It is no surprise that these guys hardly give any time on any car.
Hi Saanil, i was about to look for my car down there in the pics you attached. Yes, i did come next door to you for my first service and Yes i booked the car with Modi Hyundai.
the service center is indeed jam packed and so the best time to be there is to take an early morning 7:30 appointment.
Saanil, i mentioned that the workshop did not have the bracket that was to be replaced on my bumper so i did not have to pay for that as well.
So, i had no bill i.e. nothing to pay.

Quote:
I was offered about 23K discount and the dealer has offered to give Mats free .
That is fantastic, Two months from the launch and they are offering so much discount. whether it is to reach their sales target or whatever, you sure got a good deal.

Quote:
I would not miss the power windows , Hardly roll down the windows anyway .
I totally agree with you on that point

Quote:
Remote central locking if i install that would be extra. Hyundai has quoted me 4,500 for their Cobra System ( which is Autocop ).
Does anyone know what price it can be purchased outside , so that would save some bucks.
A simple remote central lock will cost you around 2.5 to 3K. i have experimented with a lesser known company called Atomica, check the link below to see the snaps of the remote, i just loved it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-about-18.html

Quote:
Eon buyers must respect this car for what it is . Good looking , Nice Interior , Small size, and easy to park car to move you around in City and make you feel that you are in a more expensive car whiile offering reasonable level of comfort is what the package offers .

And in my opinion Hyundai has got it spot on . They will get some numbers from people who would otherwise have bought Alto / Nano and at the same time they have their premium hatches like i10 / 20 for people who expect more from their car.
Well said Manish, you and your wife will like the car more once you own it. you have the right reasons to buy it with your budget as well.
Old 27th December 2011, 16:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I thought the Figo diesel car would have had a better FE than the 15kmpl you get on your vehicle. Are the road conditions or your driving style the reason behind the FE?

Any reason for your disappointment with Maruti?

Given your requirements for a small car, I would strongly suggest the Santro. I know it may be perceived to be an outdated model, but it has...
Thanks misquitas. Quite detailed.

As I mentioned earlier - my wife needs a car thats not jaded/outdated. So despite Santro being a real classic - no chance.

My earlier WagonR, bless her old soul has been quite accomodating for the past 8 years. But the A.S.S really fleece me. So I'm avoiding Maruti. The same may hold true for other brands too - but Maruti thinks it runs a monopoly.

Anyway - I gave the WagonR for service at Ignite(ECR) and the Senior Engineer Raghav told me that the vehicle is in good condition and I should use it for another year. So I can wait.
Old 27th December 2011, 16:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Eon buyers must respect this car for what it is.
That basically sums up most vehicles produced by Hyundai. Quite often, people (including some on this forum) buy Hyundai hatches (Eon, i10 and i20) without understanding the strengths and weaknesses of those cars and then use the cars, keeping other cars in mind. The result: total disappointment with their Hyundai car.

For example, many have bought the i10 without respecting the car for what it is and is not. They then go on to complain that the i10 has a bumpy ride, has poor handling, delivers awful FE and is more of a hype than anything else.

Likewise, I suspect the same will be with the Eon. Many will buy a Eon with the hope that it will have the ride quality of a Swift, cabin space of a Indica and the fuel economy of a Nano. When these either or all of these aspirations are not fulfilled, they will then denounce the Eon as being nothing more than a hype and an overpriced hatch (for the segment) by Hyundai.

Quote:
Good looking , Nice Interior , Small size, and easy to park car to move you around in City and make you feel that you are in a more expensive car whiile offering reasonable level of comfort is what the package offers .

True, the feeling that one gets of the Eon -- both inside and outside -- is not one from a Segment A car. It looks way too better than an Alto and is far more practical than a Nano. It is an A class car for the A Segment. It is a wonderful first car for a family that is upgrading from a two-wheeler to a four-wheeler or even as a second car for city use. And if Hyundai dealers are offering some discounts on the Eon, it makes the car even more desirable.

@ mahen_narang:

It's unfortunate that you had to experience a lousy service advisor at the service station. Good that you stuck your ground and refused the extra payment and even better that you gave them an 8-point rating. such experiences, unfortunately, sour the impression towards Hyundai and their vehicles. But let's hope that this was a one-off incident and that you will have better memories of the Eon and Hyundai.

Last edited by misquitas : 27th December 2011 at 16:03.
Old 27th December 2011, 23:23   #45
BHPian

Congrats Mahen. Eon is definitely a nice looking car. I liked the interiors as well. My wife drives an A Star. Though it has a smoother engine, boot space etc are inferior to the Eon.

Enjoy your new possession. Drive safe!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks