Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 13:12   #196
BHPian

re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
I got a call from Nandi Toyota in nothing less than 24 hrs.My dad & myself test drove the old Fortuner twice. I have booked the new Fortuner.They are still awaiting the new vehicle for TD. Let me know if you need a reference. I am getting adequate support from my Sales guy.
Redrage, Thanks for the offer. Yes. Please given the reference. The only reason I was keen on Ravindu is because it is a Kirloskar's own company and gets preferential delivery. And Nandi has a poor reputation for service. But what the heck... There is no speedy delivery without booking and that does not seem to be happening with Ravindu anyways.

If Nandi responds, I will at least be in the queue.

I have sent a PM with my contact. Thanks again.
Old 19th January 2012, 13:54   #197
Team-BHP Support

Great review Rush, as always.

little late to the party. But better late than never, eh.

Anyway, I'm a little disappointed with this Fortuner.

While it has shed some weight, and looks the business now (with that wonderful Land Cruiser front end), Toyota could have taken this opportunity to address the actual issues in this car.

While the new features are a welcome addition, I can't help but think that Toyota have got it a bit wrong this time. I was expecting a revised Fortuner, with better brakes, a more competent suspension and an interior that is less 'mini-van' and more SUV.

That wouldn't stop it from selling like there is no tomorrow, though.

Especially now that it is available in 4x2 trim, which makes a whole lot more sense.
Old 19th January 2012, 14:24   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Redrage, Thanks for the offer. Yes. Please given the reference. The only reason I was keen on Ravindu is because it is a Kirloskar's own company and gets preferential delivery. And Nandi has a poor reputation for service. But what the heck... There is no speedy delivery without booking and that does not seem to be happening with Ravindu anyways.

If Nandi responds, I will at least be in the queue.

I have sent a PM with my contact. Thanks again.

@nareshtrao, whether you are booking with Nandi/Ravindu, please ensure you book in the main branch/showroom with a good SA who can influence inside their dealership.

Within a dealership, I have seen that the most prominent showroom/headoffice gets better/priority allotment compared to relatively calmer outlets (read as Ravindu dealership @ avalahalli, hosakote road).
BlackRaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 15:04   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
@nareshtrao, whether you are booking with Nandi/Ravindu, please ensure you book in the main branch/showroom with a good SA who can influence inside their dealership.

Within a dealership, I have seen that the most prominent showroom/headoffice gets better/priority allotment compared to relatively calmer outlets (read as Ravindu dealership @ avalahalli, hosakote road).
Thanks Blackraven. This indeed is a good input. We tend to book at smaller branches closer to our location.

Since this thread is on Fortuner, would it be a good idea to for those who have booked to share their expected delivery dates? Would appreciate the inputs. Thanks.
Old 19th January 2012, 18:24   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I had clicked on Toyota Bharat's "request test drive" button and got an automated response looping in their closest dealer (DSK Bavdhan) almost 3 weeks ago. No word from them at all.
Hi Noops,
The have a software that recognises requests from and keeps out guys with vermillion Ts..!

But seriously I think TKML is also just like any other auto company. No one to attend to net queries, hubris fuelled by customer pull and demand, reducing control over dealers thanks to the companies dependence on them because of the number of popular models being released etc. Even the service quality suffers.
And life goes on as usual !
Old 19th January 2012, 18:33   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Fortuner is my first Toyota experience. It is pathetic. I thought it was probably the dealer and shifted to another, but that was even worse. no return calls in-spite of promises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
It was always hard to get the test drive of the Fortuner in the past, maybe due to lack of vehicles and 'swollen order book' and it does leave a bad taste in the mouth initially, when one goes to their dealerships and asks for a (rarely-existent) test drive...But all such (minor) sins are forgiven once you have place trust in the brand (i.e. sign the cheque book... lol) and the beast reaches your hand. Didn't feel let down one bit on its arrival.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
But seriously I think TKML is also just like any other auto company. No one to attend to net queries, hubris fuelled by customer pull and demand, reducing control over dealers thanks to the companies dependence on them because of the number of popular models being released etc. Even the service quality suffers.
And life goes on as usual !
Thanks for those inputs. The issue I have is that I had placed a request for TD of the facelift Corolla (with that awesome 7 speed AT) when it had just launched and their response back then (same dealer) was nothing short of stellar: in fact there was this sweet-voiced lady who'd call me every month or so to check on whether I was game to cancel my Vento booking and upgrade!

This is a more expensive vehicle so I just assumed the treatment would etend to it. Guess you guys are right: the Fortuner is a best-seller and they're not going to be bothered about things like responding on time etc. so long as they are flying off the shelf!

Also, @dkaile- I need to TD the AT personally before I can even think of plonking down a king's ransom on it. Though I would blindly go with GTO's opinion that it's more than adequate, I think he himself would advise never bypassing the TD in ANY car purchase, especially one where most of my retirement fund is at risk!

Incidentally I had posted a request for the XUV500 as soon as its launch was announced and STILL no response

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

While the new features are a welcome addition, I can't help but think that Toyota have got it a bit wrong this time. I was expecting a revised Fortuner, with better brakes, a more competent suspension and an interior that is less 'mini-van' and more SUV.

That wouldn't stop it from selling like there is no tomorrow, though.
In the Indian market more than anywhere, most carmakers have an attitude of "If it aint broke, don't fix it". I guess it's only sensible given the average carbuyer doesn't do half the research that you and I might, while buying a new car!

Last edited by noopster : 19th January 2012 at 18:54. Reason: Added response
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 18:50   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@dkaile- I need to TD the AT personally before I can even think of plonking down a king's ransom on it. Though I would blindly go with GTO's opinion that it's more than adequate, I think he himself would advise never bypassing the TD in ANY car purchase, especially one where most of my retirement fund is at risk!
You are damn right in asking for a Test Drive for the AT. Had it been the manual, I/We would have recommended the same to you blind-folded as its exactly the same unit mechanically that is doing duty on the current gens. Personally, I would never go for a AT; just takes the fun out of driving. Call me old school...
Old 20th January 2012, 20:46   #203
Senior - BHPian

GTO,

When you test drove the facelifted fortuner, did you feel any significant difference in the brakes / braking performance? The new fortuner mentions EBD/BA so am wondering if there would be a big difference in the brakes/braking performance as compared to the old fortuner.

Quote:
Hi dkaile,
I think the 4X2 ATs also come with the VSC programme.
Grrr...now its only the Classic Fortuner which doesn't have this useful thingamajig !
I've just visited Nandi Toyota and took a look at the facelifted fortuner. The automatic 4x2 does not have the VSC button.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st January 2012 at 02:01. Reason: Please read the note in your post carefully, thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 21:04   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose
GTO,

When you test drove the facelifted fortuner, did you feel any significant difference in the brakes / braking performance? The new fortuner mentions EBD/BA so am wondering if there would be a big difference in the brakes/braking performance as compared to the old fortuner.
Please correct me if I am wrong but, EBD/ABS/BA will make a huge difference under panic bracing situation or in a situation where the car is loosing control and stuff like that. I don't think EBD/BA will make a big difference to regular sedate braking, be it in town or on highways.
Old 20th January 2012, 21:23   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong but, EBD/ABS/BA will make a huge difference under panic bracing situation or in a situation where the car is loosing control and stuff like that. I don't think EBD/BA will make a big difference to regular sedate braking, be it in town or on highways.
well, if you drove certain cars like the Nissan X-trail, Skoda Yeti, Corolla or Camry, the brake feeling is completely different. You do get a good feedback, the pedal play is very less and overall more predictable. The brake pedal may be pressed very softly and the car stops irrespective of the speed/criticality.
Old 21st January 2012, 00:14   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose

well, if you drove certain cars like the Nissan X-trail, Skoda Yeti, Corolla or Camry, the brake feeling is completely different. You do get a good feedback, the pedal play is very less and overall more predictable. The brake pedal may be pressed very softly and the car stops irrespective of the speed/criticality.
I have never driven old Fortuner, but from your post it appears that Fortuner breaks are not assuring even at low speed? Well in any case, Toyota should have providers rear disks in Fortuner.
Old 21st January 2012, 07:35   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
I have never driven old Fortuner...
Hi Nitrous Power,
Might I state that it is not called an Old Fortuner but "Classic Fortuner" ? Repeat - Classic Fortuner !!!

Yes you are right - numerous posts have mentioned about the need for rear disc brakes etc. But then it is not as though the current brakes are not assuring. I have been driving the Classic (see it comes easily !) Fortuner for nearly a year and have been in numerous hair raising episodes on the highways and city roads. The brakes have worked really well - touch wood. No issues at all. At best I can describe it as being soft, but it does its job well, as compared to a very harsh, sharp bite of the rest.
No, it is not as though you have to plan your braking event well etc. You can indeed rely upon it totally.
And it has been upgraded too pretty well from the initial lot of Fortuners.

Last edited by Guderian : 21st January 2012 at 07:36.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 09:40   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Nitrous Power,
Might I state that it is not called an Old Fortuner but "Classic Fortuner" ? Repeat - Classic Fortuner !!!

Yes you are right - numerous posts have mentioned about the need for rear disc brakes etc. But then it is not as though the current brakes are not assuring. I have been driving the Classic (see it comes easily !) Fortuner for nearly a year and have been in numerous hair raising episodes on the highways and city roads. The brakes have worked really well - touch wood. No issues at all. At best I can describe it as being soft, but it does its job well, as compared to a very harsh, sharp bite of the rest.
No, it is not as though you have to plan your braking evbe ent well etc. You can indeed rely upon it totally.
And it has been upgraded too pretty well from the initial lot of Fortuners.
It might be classic fortuner acoording to you bit members here may refer to it as they find it appropirate be ot old fortuner or whatever
bajwasingh is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 21st January 2012, 10:42   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@dkaile, I did read here in the forum that the paint quality is not as good as it should be in a 20L+ vehicle. I recollect seeing photographs where the paint came of easily around the fender area. I am not a owner so I don't know for sure.

Request fortuner owners to comment on the paint quality.
That's right. The Quality of paint on all Toyota's is nothing great. I have an Altis for almost 3 years and the paint quality is nowhere near as good as the one my Lancer. Even after 10 years the Lancer's paint had less blemishes than the Altis. The paint is soft and even one wash with dirty water/dirty cloth will put a million swirls on it. The Fortuner and Innova have the same paint.

The black starts to look faded and whitish within a few months.
Old 21st January 2012, 21:54   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajwasingh View Post
It might be classic fortuner acoording to you bit members here may refer to it as they find it appropirate be ot old fortuner or whatever
Wow ! Humour is always at a premium eh ?
It was a tongue (firmly) in cheek comment...if you know what I mean !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks