Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:15   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I feel bad for the Fortuner owners who did not wait for this and the ones who were dissuaded by the present owners from waiting, by criticizing everything about the facelift from what the spy pictures showed.
Vehicle Stability Control: This alone makes the new Fortuner 4x4 superior to the older version. VSC can be an absolute life-saver in an emergency, especially on an SUV, and whoever waited for the new Fortuner can consider this feature his reward.

Other features I particularly liked at the HID lamps, headlamp washer and touchscreen audio + USB. I cannot live without the music on my iPod, and an integrated solution (NOT Aux) is the only way forward. Among other things, a USB <-> iPod connection keeps the iPod charged and allows control from the HU / Steering wheel itself.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Forgot to ask in my last post: is the ridged (non-linear) AT an irritant to slot? I am used to the straight-line PRNDS config and the Toyotas look mighty strange to me!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:20   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Vehicle Stability Control: This alone makes the new Fortuner 4x4 superior to the older version. VSC can be an absolute life-saver in an emergency, especially on an SUV, and whoever waited for the new Fortuner can consider this feature his reward.

Other features I particularly liked at the HID lamps, headlamp washer and touchscreen audio + USB. I cannot live without the music on my iPod, and an integrated solution (NOT Aux) is the only way forward. Among other things, a USB <-> iPod connection keeps the iPod charged and allows control from the HU / Steering wheel itself.
Definitely, I've experienced it a few times on the Bimmer and the Accord and man it sure is a lifesaver. Especially in a big SUV whose dynamics aren't as good as a sedan, with a powerful engine people tend to drive it fast and this is a godsend.

Even the bluetooth is a neat little feature I failed to mention, its just so convenient. Untill you have it and use it you don't realise what you're missing. The reversing camera too is just a neat little feature and should help since the car has only 2 sensors (or wait, does it still have sensors?). The electric seat is just a comfort even though it is quite useless without a memory function.

I'm just all praise for Toyota since the last year or so, the way they have facelifted the Altis with the 7 speed CVT and now this.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 22nd December 2011 at 20:22.
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:25   #19
BHPian

An excellent write up as always GTO!

Finally Toyota have woken up to the automatic variant! I can already imagine a waiting of close to 1yr for the automatic variant.

Having been driven in an Automatic Fortuner Taxi in Thailand (it was a 4x4 automatic though), i totally agree that it drives very well, felt very very smooth and there didnt seem to be any issues in traffic or on open roads alike

Just hope Toyota doesnt increase the price but then again i dont think an increase of a couple of lakhs will really deter any potential buyers. i feel this will take away some thunder from the XUV till it (XUV) comes along with its own auto box. Toyota should be proactive and launch an auto box in the 4x4 as well much before the XUV comes with it own (obviously i am writing this with a lot of assumptions)

Now how i wish i didnt have an existing car loan and this would just be the perfect family car that i am actually looking for currently.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:41   #20
dot
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review. It was good to know that Toyota did a good job when they mated this particular auto-box to the 3.0D engine. I wonder what will be the price tag of the auto T.Fort. Anyways, irrespective of price, I am sure that this vehicle will be a best seller.

While Toyota did well to get rid of the weird light brown faux wood finish on the dash and door panels, the silver/chrome garnish plate around the HU looks out of place, at least from the pictures.

Definitely on my radar and subject of day dreams.

Last edited by dot : 22nd December 2011 at 20:45.
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:55   #21
BHPian

Good review. I like the new front end which makes the giant look sharper and more agile. The rear lights are the opposite story sadly. They look like a cheap Thai aftermarket import. Sad!
The new black finish on the inside looks much better than the gaudy orange wood finish of yore. But again, like the new Corolla, the ICE touch-screen system looks like an aftermarket version and very el-cheapo !! Why cant people learn from VW/Skoda on how to make good OEM ICE units.
The rear camera is a welcome addition on an elephant this size and the ESP should make life less scary on spirited corners.

I whole heartedly agree with GTO that the 4X2 MT shall almost wipe out the 4X4 off the sales chart though an SUV without 4X4 is like a tiger without teeth IMO. Lot of disappointing bits continue, like no rear discs, bumpy ride and BORING interiors. Why couldnt Toyota address these issues and charge an extra 50 odd k for it. Atleast could have done it for the 4X4 and given it reason to survive.
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Great review as usual, there is a certain amount of freshness in the front looks and the insides. The ICE looks good. The pricing although there are indications would be a must watch item whenever it is declared.

I agree the older alloy wheels looked much better then this one.
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:26   #23
BHPian

Thanks for the review GTO.

There were some improvements talking about diamond tech technology in the fuel injection. This was made available to Thai customers. Is this coming to Indian edition as well?

Just called up my sales advisor and locked a white/black AT. Hope to take delivery mid jan.
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:33   #24
BHPian

As I read somewhere, I quote "Finally the kumbakarna wakes". Been waiting for the 4x2 & AT on the TFort.

The Paired Bluetooth shows Galaxy Tab! Did you get to check the audio streaming quality or range of the Bluetooth?
Land Cruiser'ish looks are charming. I guess its easy to frighten sedans when you sneak upon them. And how many airbags now?

Last edited by karpusv : 22nd December 2011 at 21:34.
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Is this still going to be CBU? If yes, is Toyota still limiting the imports to the 1000 odd per month, or will they account for the greater demand the 4x2 will most probably generate?

If I am wrong about Toyota limiting the numbers, I apologize. I remember reading it somewhere, but can't find the source.
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:07   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Is this still going to be CBU? If yes, is Toyota still limiting the imports to the 1000 odd per month, or will they account for the greater demand the 4x2 will most probably generate?

If I am wrong about Toyota limiting the numbers, I apologize. I remember reading it somewhere, but can't find the source.
It was never a CBU buddy.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
An excellent brief and crisp review GTO. Could not agree more on this comment. My patience had given up and VSC/ESP and 6 airbags (and better brakes to some extent) were the only reason to go for the Santa-Fe. Are there 6 airbags in the refreshed fortuner ?
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:10   #28
BHPian

Neat and Crisp review Rush. Just like it should be.
Liked the new LC inspired front but the uppermost chrome bar feels just too much, it can be avoided, tad too thick. The design of the front headlamps is stunning and striking, we havent seen anything like this.
Few things I didnt like about the upgrade were
1) The indash DVD system looks like a cheap after-market upgrade. The silver color doesn't match with rest of the car, black would do well. Part sharing with corolla is evident.
2) Silver colored volume controls and a small part of the steering wheel doesnt look good.
3) Haven they forgotten to insert the faux wood finish in the below part of the steering? The steering design looks unfinished with top in faux wood and bottom leather.
4) Old design of the ACC, Come on Toyota give us a better design.

What is the function of the button below (has the speedo meter logo on top)?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-toyotanew-fortuner09.jpg  

Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great review GTO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The gearbox, it seems will be just fine for a normal driver and since it is just a 4 speed there is no need for tiptronic since L-2-3-D can be used exactly like a manual. But it definitely won't be good for an enthusiastic driver but great for a lazy one.
Are you sure L-2-3-D can be used like manual? I thought when you put it to '3' it uses 1, 2, 3 gears which is different from slotting to third gear in a manual.
This also requires the driver to look at the lever/slot or at least pay attention (while gradually moving the lever in those slots) which is unlike the manual (which you can change in a fraction).
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:20   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Great review GTO!

Are you sure L-2-3-D can be used like manual? I thought when you put it to '3' it uses 1, 2, 3 gears which is different from slotting to third gear in a manual.
This also requires the driver to look at the lever/slot or at least pay attention (while gradually moving the lever in those slots) which is unlike the manual (which you can change in a fraction).
Pretty sure, because if 3 used 1,2 and 3 it would have been called D3. I'm reasonably sure of that. A person can easily get used to the movement of the shifter after a few days and there is the gear display in the dash to double check too. You can change these reasonably quick, but I don't see why anyone would keep on using it like this after buying an auto. I was just pointing out that it is possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks