Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:37   #46
BHPian

re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

GTO - excellent review as all of your reviews are. Beautiful SUV, quite a few features inside as compared to the older one. Hope the Toyota dealer service setup is up to the mark too and can handle the new model, since I have noticed that servicing expertise of many Indian dealers for these kind of vehicles leave much to be desired and dealers practically "learn" on a customer's vehicle.
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
Forgot to ask in my last post: is the ridged (non-linear) AT an irritant to slot? I am used to the straight-line PRNDS config and the Toyotas look mighty strange to me!
All new Toyota's come with this ridged type slots - matter of fact, most new high end cars come with this type of gates. It even protects the gear lever slotting into another gear by accidental touches upto certain extent.
Nitrous Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:39   #48
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the HIDs with washers & the new front looks nice. Finally it has got a touch screen HU with USB support.

But no rear disc brakes & a 4 speed A/T on a 25 lakhs SUV without triptronic... Really? Pathetic!

All said & done, if the 4x2 MT is priced at 19-20 lakhs on road, then it would be awesome. Between 4x4 MT or 4x2 AT, i think 4x4 MT would be a better choice.
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:56   #49
F50
Senior - BHPian

Great review GTO!
Why do top-line manufacturers miss out on essential offerings? Just because this is India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• New Landcruiser-esque face looks stunning
I feel 4tuner looks more like Toyota Highlander than LC, what say?
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:25   #50
BHPian

Grill looks more like current Innova. The one available in after market standing one looks much better.
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Some more observations :

1. The Sun Glass Holder design seemed to have modified too and seems like a push button soft opening type
2. Still NO GPS for the ICE. I fail to understand Toyota's rationale for that. It should be included at least as an after market add-on. I feel the ICE will need to be totally replaced in case one wants it as most Toyota models don't include RGB input.
3. Audio rear parking sensors seems to have been totally removed. Audio feedback could have been integrated with the rear view camera for precise backing up.
4. Chrome ringed central instrument panel has also been removed.

@GTO - is there any change in seat materials and different fabric for the manual 4x2?

Last edited by dkaile : 23rd December 2011 at 12:28.
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:09   #52
BHPian

This has to been a sad 24 hrs for me.

Over the course of last week, Went through most reviews of team-bhp from a week spoke to my dad at home and some how convinced my family to go in for the Fortuner. Got the vehicle TD, mighty impressed. Family agreed and went and booked the Old gen Fortuner (Got a lot of freebie accessories). Went through the test report and almost kicking myself for paying the advance . I made the payment yesterday evening at 4.The report came out a little later.

Now i actually don't worry but somehow its hurting me that i dint wait and i am missing out on features like VSC, head lamp washers, New gen audio, electric seats etc. I do some offroading as i take a few wildlife photographs so to the places i go 4X4 is very much a necessity.

So i called up the dealer and expressed my feelings and they in turn talked to the plant i understand and told me most of the features are coming for the 4X2 and other than VSC the 4X4 wont have a few features. The authenticity of this only time will tell i guess. Also they said the interest rates would increase for '12 and the price of the 4X4 would be much higher (Read 1.5 L +)

Lets see how things go as i asked the dealer to re-verify from the plant.
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:22   #53
BHPian

Thanks for the awesome review GTO. And very timely indeed. Toyota seems to have done a good job with this facelift but a few obvious misses as well -

1. No rear disc brakes - on a vehicle which has not won any prizes & is prone to brake fade after a couple of strong braking scenarios is a serious omission IMHO
2. The tail lamps remind me of a aftermarket mod job
3. Ancient 4 speed auto & no auto in 4x4

The goodies which make it a better buy than previous one -
1. The new lines make it look better & more mature IMO
2. The AT - This was one thing which did move some of the buyers towards Endy
3. ESP
4. Looks

The people who have waited are definitely getting a better vehicle in the 2012 Tfort. Now it is for Toyota to price it well for it to continue setting the sales charts on fires..
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

In a price conscious market like india, the average joe would not not like to spend on the same.
Are you sure its average joes who buy a T-Fort in India!!!

Excellent review though GTO. Good vehicle even got better. Way to go Toyota.
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:55   #55
BHPian

That looks like a vehicle set to break its own benchmarks in terms of sales figures with 3 variants on sale. The auto with 4 speed might be a deal breaker with all vehicles moving to either 5,6 or 7 speed autos. They should have introduced the 7 speed CVT available on the altis (dont know if its compatible with the diesel engine) . I am in market for a good SUV (provided i have enough money to buy it when my decision is made) and that too an automatic and this is a great option. I guess a test drive will solve lot of issues and concerns and will give a real picture regarding this gear box and its performance

On the other hand: Can someone please explain as to how exactly does this gear box work in D3 and other slots?
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:03   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Are you sure its average joes who buy a T-Fort in India!!!

Excellent review though GTO. Good vehicle even got better. Way to go Toyota.
I am referring to the Fortuner customer base. The average person buys TFORT for the macho looks and reliability and the T badge. He does not care about anything else. The segment refered to is the un-informed segment(Non-TBHPians)

If the average car buyer Joe is concerned about safety, you would see only the ABS-Airbag models on the road. No one will buy the basic model. What you see on the roads prove otherwise.
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:09   #57
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful review GTO.

However, missing rear disc brakes are a dampner as are the bland interiors.

For the kind of asking price we should be getting better things.

Last edited by m_upreti : 23rd December 2011 at 14:11.
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:43   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Will reply to all the other queries later, but this one appears urgent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
i understand and told me most of the features are coming for the 4X2 and other than VSC the 4X4 wont have a few features.
Your dealer is talking RUBBISH! Do you think Toyota will offer the new features only on the 4x2, and not the more expensive 4x4? I hereby confirm that the 4x4 MT will receive all the features that are part of the facelift, including the VSC, headlamp washers, new audio system etc.

Unless you sign on the registration papers, the old Fortuner you have booked is NOT yours. Call the dealer immediately and tell him you want to change your booking to the 2012 Fortuner.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
This has to been a sad 24 hrs for me.
Unless you are getting heavy discount (at least 1L) on the current Fortuner it would be more prudent to change your booking to the face-lifted version.
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:35   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Will reply to all the other queries later, but this one appears urgent:

Do you think Toyota will offer the new features only on the 4x2, and not the more expensive 4x4? I hereby confirm that the 4x4 MT will receive all the features that are part of the facelift, including the VSC, headlamp washers, new audio system etc.

Unless you sign on the registration papers, the old Fortuner you have booked is NOT yours. Call the dealer immediately and tell him you want to change your booking to the 2012 Fortuner.
OK.Any idea about the pricing on the 4X4 MT? Would it be substantially more expensive then the current gen?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks