Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:04   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Thanks a lot for the speedy review GTO. As always a job done excellently.

Coming to the new Fortuner, I feel the old one looked a lot better. This one gives me a feeling of hanging in mid air between the butch looking old fortuner and the all classy LC. The tail light design looks totally out of place. I do hope it looks a lot better in person.
Similarly the Interiors too bring out mixed emotions. I am unable to decide if they look too flashy for a toyota.

BTW can you please clarify if the 2WD MT also comes with all the goodies right from ICE to power seats and the likes? In that case it becomes an excellent deal.
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:18   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
...What is the function of the button below (has the speedo meter logo on top)?
That is to adjust the brightness of the Speedometer & Tachometer Console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
...BTW can you please clarify if the 2WD MT also comes with all the goodies right from ICE to power seats and the likes? In that case it becomes an excellent deal.
I read in another article that all spec will remain same across the variants. Only the VSC is on the 4x4MT

Last edited by karpusv : 22nd December 2011 at 23:19.
karpusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:19   #33
BHPian

Simply awesome review GTO. Is the cruise control not part of the 4*4 MT ?
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:57   #34
BHPian

Great going GTO.
This review was like a pleasant surprise..!
Since the Facelifted Fortuner is yet to be officially released, this review sits perfectly timed.

IMO though, the new Fortuner has lost its gung-ho butch look & morphed into a more subtle mature one. AT is a welcome move, though I'd prefer a MT anyday, specially when off-roading.

A quick question about the VSC: does it work in tandem with the ABS?
Old 23rd December 2011, 00:08   #35
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review GTO.

The face-lift has given the Fortuner a mature and understated look. The butch look is completely gone. I somehow like this look better than the older one.

I hope Toyota doesn't increase price in such a way that the 4x2 is priced at the current 4x4 price. Price indication of 16 Lakhs for the 4x2 is unrealistic. Considering the additional features.
Old 23rd December 2011, 00:47   #36
BHPian

Nice to-the-point review. Thanks GTO. I was eagerly looking forward to this.

So Toyota added a washer for the headlamp, but not a wiper? From the picture it looks like a fairly powerful washer so it should blow the gunk away to oblivion.

But what I really don't understand is the 4x4 without AT, no curtain airbags, and most importantly still no rear disc brakes. Don't they read reviews and listen to customer feedback? Even the sales guys I met earlier this year said Toyota is adding rear disc brakes.
Its popular, and an awesome product, but Toyota is just MISERLY with features anywhere, but all the more in India. I could bang my head against the wall, but its only going to hurt my head.
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

Good review as usual GTO! I am sure our General Guderian saab wud be pleased! Btw my question is about the headlights, did i understand it correctly, that the projectors are for the low beam and HID/filament for the highbeam? What about the cornering lamp feature? I guess, its not there! As pointed out in the previous post, for this cost, I would like to have atleast 7 airbags around me. Though I know toyota is a good car, but prevention is better than being sorry.
Old 23rd December 2011, 07:59   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveller View Post
But what I really don't understand is the 4x4 without AT, no curtain airbags, and most importantly still no rear disc brakes. Don't they read reviews and listen to customer feedback? Even the sales guys I met earlier this year said Toyota is adding rear disc brakes.
Its popular, and an awesome product, but Toyota is just MISERLY with features anywhere, but all the more in India. I could bang my head against the wall, but its only going to hurt my head.
+1.
Toyota has always been very miserly in providing equipment. Till the vehicle is selling in healthy numbers they aren't bothered. Disc brakes should have been good but a lot many people still buy the fortuner regardless of all this month after month. So Toyota doesn't need to change anything since the whole package is still good.
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
An excellent brief and crisp review GTO. Could not agree more on this comment. My patience had given up and VSC/ESP and 6 airbags (and better brakes to some extent) were the only reason to go for the Santa-Fe. Are there 6 airbags in the refreshed fortuner ?
No there are only 2 airbags in the Fortuner. One for the Driver and one for the Co-Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBIN004 View Post
Simply awesome review GTO. Is the cruise control not part of the 4*4 MT ?
No Cruise control in Manual Version 4X4 or non 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveller View Post
Nice to-the-point review. Thanks GTO. I was eagerly looking forward to this.

So Toyota added a washer for the headlamp, but not a wiper? From the picture it looks like a fairly powerful washer so it should blow the gunk away to oblivion.

I was personally not expecting rear discs as this would shoot up the cost by at least 25,000/- per vehicle. There are lot of auxilliary costs added to a product (Testing, Inventory, cost of Quality etc) so even if rear discs costs 10,000/- Toyota would price them close to 25,000/- as a conservative figure.

The same applies for Curtain Airbags as well. Vehicle price would shoot up by 75,000/- minimum if this option is offered. In a price conscious market like india, the average joe would not not like to spend on the same. Curtain Airbag + Front Washer + Rear Discs + Non-shared (from Corolla)music system would price the Fortuner at 30 lacs OTR. Toyota would dig a grave and fall into it themselves. Audi Q3 at 32 Lacs OTR / BMW X1 at 30 Lacs OTR Seems more lucrative as Audi/bmw brand is more desireable than a toyota.
Old 23rd December 2011, 09:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi GTO,

Wonderful Review. Are you sure the VSC feature is present? I have also checked Toyota singapore and philipines websites on the facelifted fortuner but this feature seems not available! It would be strange for Toyota to introduce a better fortuner to India! :-)
Old 23rd December 2011, 09:58   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I prefer the old look. It was sportier, especially the grille.
The 4x2 version would just make this already successful SUV invincible.
Could not agree more. Especially given my aversion to the in your face chrome as well. Otherwise i think it is a very good face lift. The interiors though a bit drab looks way classier than the current fortuner.

Am a bit puzzled by the 4 speed AT though. As good as it may be, seems a bit dated.
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:01   #42
Team-BHP Support

Wonderful review.

The front definitely looks so much better; it actually suits the built of the car.

I somehow do not like the steering one bit; it is unworthy of being fitted in a SUV with otherwise such killer looks. Same with the tail-lamp cluster; kinda spoils the get-up.

And puh-lease some one tell auto companies, we Indians don't lust so much for chrome anymore!

Is the tyre profile the same? The wheel area looks quite diff - or is it just the arch?
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

WOW GTO, a fantastic, short and crisp review. Got all the relevant information required. Kudos to TBhp for getting the face-lift reviewed even before the market launch. Made my day...

VSC is compulsory in the most of the Western countries and US and its nice to see it making a debut in India for the Fortuner. Other than that I somehow did NOT like the inside dash finish and colour of the ICE. Though its feature loaded but the wood finish and the silver finish look contrastingly garish. Also the clear rear lights don't blend too well with the posterior. I feel the older look from the back was much more dignified. The alloys also don't look much meaty as before. The AUTO switch on the ACC has still not been given an indicator light which I feel is necessary for night visibility and operations.

But from the front its an absolute looker. Rest overall, its just a facelift with 90% of the core values carried forward from the outgoing model. But it will strongly consolidate its position as the No.1 SUV in India giving full bang for your buck with bullet proof reliability thrown in for free.

I still feel that the Classic Fortuner was a more rounded overall option. But, I will be strongly considering the facelifted version for my 2nd car upgrade some months down the line.

Last edited by dkaile : 23rd December 2011 at 10:58.
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for a great and quick review GTO.

The lack of rear disc brakes is quite puzzling. Would have been a very welcome addition along with the other new additions. The new double-DIN HU looks a bit out of place in the dash. The black faux wood finish is much much better than the old light brown. And love the new headlights.

I have a feeling Toyota will throw us a pleasant surprise and price the 4x2 MT aggressively.

GTO, do you have any other picture of the rear shot from a distance showing the entire back? Love that Grey colour.
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I feel bad for the Fortuner owners who did not wait for this and the ones who were dissuaded by the present owners from waiting, by criticizing everything about the facelift from what the spy pictures showed. Lets give credit where its due, the facelift Fortuner though not a superior product to the earlier one, is certainly looking much more premium and worth the price tag now. This will stop people from comparing it to the Innova.

I hope present owners do not brush of all the features as useless, lets give credit where due
There is no need for the current owners to feel bad, we can always upgrade!

I am seriously thinking of this but would wait for the models to hit the showrooms, take a TD before making the final call.

Most Viewed