Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 17:39   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done

The Transformation from yellow light to white light.

The Prologue:
I always had a penchant for white lights, like the ones we have in the new Audi and BMW's. Whenever I used to see a white light, I for a second used to turn over to have a look at which car was it. White lights are always a attention grabber even if it is unnecessary attention.

First Encounter:
Recently on a trip I had driven Honda Accord Euro which too had a white lights. While driving it in the night didn't felt once if yellow light would have made a difference, but I surely liked it and wished to change over my Vento "The Dark Knight" headlights bulb over to white sooner than later.

Grievance:
As usual all Vento owners may be knowing the stock headlights of Vento are of Osram 60/55W which are inadequate. I had in May'11 changed over to Philips 100/90W with PMP relays, so this time also I was looking for only 100/90W bulbs with white light. As coming back to 60/55W would again result in less light as faced by me previously.

The Search:
In Philips Automotive Lighting in White Light section they only had Essential Vision in 100/90W and no other Diamond Vision, Crystal Vision or Blue Vision had 100/90W. So the choice for headlights was final at Essential Vision H4 100/90W.

Dilemma:
Next came, now if one wants to give a complete white light effect you even need to change over the fog lamps and parking light. So decided to even change those. The VW Vento user manual mentions that headlight bulb are of type H4 but there is no mention of which type are fogs or parking lights. It was quite a struggle to find out the type of fogs lamps where as parking light would definitely be W5W type. Once during washing my car saw it mentioned on the rear number plate lights as W5W so even decided to change those.

What a complete effect if would than be, front and rear as well.

Research and Development:
After some R&D, a friend pointed out a HiD spec sheet which mentioned that Vento has HB4 9006 type bulbs but their was still dilemma as Polo had H8 type. Wouldn't VW share the same bulbs between the two siblings?

Decided to take the risk and decided off to go with HB4 9006 type bulbs. Where I stay in Navi Mumbai, Sector-17, Vashi is the main hub for automobile parts. Tried many shops their but couldn't find as none had the required bulbs. So the hunt for the dealer of Philips started, which turned out as R.K.Enterprise at Opera House, Mumbai. One call to R.K. and they all the required bulbs and no headache of explaining as they know their stuff.

Even once called VW workshop to ask them if they could change the bulbs for me but they outright refused it saying no playing around with electric systems. This made me adamant that I will change them over by myself as I didn't want road side mechanics to get their hands on my Black Beauty.

Went through the manual and it has been mentioned in detail how to go about everything. So that was sorted out. Thanks to Bhpian Rachit.K.Dogra for pointing it out to me.

The Purchase:
Off I was on Saturday to Opera House and bought all the necessary bulbs required. I even asked the shopkeeper which type of bulbs are in Vento and he said H8, I was shocked as Polo has H8(as mentioned in HiD spec sheet). I decided to take the risk and get 9006 but told him that if 9006 doesn't go in I would have them changed over to H8(but with the seal intact, obviously). Initially was planning to get Crystal Vision 4300K but the shop keeper recommended to use the Blue Vision as they would have the similar color temperature output as the Essential Vision.

Opening Up The Pandora's Box:
So on Sunday after having my breakfast decided to get under the hood and have the bulbs replaced all by myself with help from my younger brother. I was all exited and charged up, but it didn't last long.

Rear Number Plate Lights: W5W type.
Started of with swapping the rear number plate with Philips Blue Vision W5W 4000K. Took a screwdriver and snapped out the rear number plate light out and changed them over. Easy work.
To confirm that they are working before snapping them in again, switched on the parking lights and voila. The rear number plate light are up and working.
Stage 1 complete.

Next comes the headlights: H4 type.
Opened up the bonnet. Unscrewed the two screws on the headlamp assembly on the two ends of the headlights. You don't need to unscrew the one in the middle as it is just for support. What now, it should come out. No it doesn't it has two clips which keep it attached below. So what, lets give it a dab and it would come out popping. No way, it's rigid.
For once I got scared, as the two clips break in an event of accident and headlamp assembly goes in for pedestrian safety. What if it breaks and the headlamp assembly costs Rs. 5000(IIRC). Dad wont be happy with a Rs. 10000 loss in one day.

Decided to give it a skip and would get it done from workshop, whatever even if they refuse.

Next comes the fog lamps: HB4 9006 type for Vento.
I was first thinking changing bulbs in headlamp would be easier than fog lamps and fog lamps would be difficult to change. But it turned out quite opposite but not without a shock. Oh yes.

You need to use the Torix key(IIRC the name) present with the jack and others in thermocol box/structure in the rear boot, to pull out the cover of the fog lamps. First inserted it in the RHS(drivers side) fog lamp and it came out easily as I had earlier once pulled it out.
There are three screws and just unscrew them and fog lamp casing is out. Just snap out the cable and assembly is in your hands. Rotate the bulb in anti-clockwise direction and pull out the bulb. That simple.

But wait, I was still not confirmed about the type of bulb. So thought of verifying it through the bulb as I had it in my hands. But there was some paint on the number. Tried to remove it by my finger nail and off goes the bulb type with the paint. So what are the probability of the wrong bulb being purchased by me to be incorrect, 50:50.

Fine, lets not panic and open up the second fog lamp casing and verify bulb type through it, hoping that its clearly mentioned without any paint. Opening it up through the Torix key was tough as it was being opened up for the first time. Some muscle power and off comes the cover.

Unscrewed three screws holding the fog lamp and snapped the wire. Fog lamp casing was in my hands and hoping to find the bulb type finally. Turned the bulb anti-clockwise and pulled out the bulb.

Started to read the type of bulb it says H..HB...HB4 okay what next. 9..90..900, hoping last number is six and it is 9006 and I hit a six. Voila.

So finally I can change the bulbs finally to Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 4000K type. Inserted the new Philips bulb, turned it clockwise and snapped the wire in. Screwed the three screws and inserted the cover finally. Left and right hand side done, what a sigh of relief.

Fogs lamps finally changed over to Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 4000K after so much desperation.

The heart and mind game:
Heart says, "Lets try again with the head lamps, you wont get a Rs. 10000 loss" and then comes mind rushing and slams brakes to it "You already have tried it once, what do want a Rs. 10000 loss in a single day, are you out of your mind. We will have it done from workshop during the 1st service in Mar'12 end".

I still wanted to change the headlamps over and finally gave it to the heart. Whoa.

Again unscrewed the the head lamp assembly. What now, to push it out or not. No, yes, no yes. Big yes, and bit of strong push the headlamp assembly is out and no breaking of clips. Hurrah.

But, the wires are so short it just comes out 3" out, how will I change the head lamp bulb and parking light. Tried taking out the wires attached, high beam wire comes out, but nothing. Parking light and side indicator just wont come out. Not a failure again.

Then my younger brother pointed out a small plate above the headlamp(when in its normal position). Lets try taking it out too and it would give us more space to work out without snapping the wires out. It worked.

There was more space and finally removed the rubber cover on LHS(Passenger side) and pulled the metal clip holding the bulb in its place. Yellow bulb out and white bulb in. Put the metal clip back on and rubber cover back. Parking light bulb is turned clockwise and pulled out and replaced with W5W type. So one headlight done. Yeah.

The RHS(drivers side) headlamp assembly was opened up but to remove the metal plate which I mentioned above, it has the bonnet opening wire attached to it. Snapped it out and took the plate out. There is just enough place and we work out and replace the bulb and parking light bulb.

All done, put back everything and attach the bonnet opening wire again to the metal plate. Fired up the engine and checked up the head lights, fog lamps, parking light and rear number plate lights, all working great. No bulb out errors or any problems.

Took 2 hrs to finish it up but it was great fun and adventure.

Now my Dark Knight has better vision and get more attention on road.

Limited to 2 emoticons, otherwise this post would have at least 20+ emoticons.

In the end, VW workshop be damned, if there is will there is a way.

Note: Pics to follow in next post. Mods sorry for back to back post but wanted a neat representation.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 17:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

The pictures of fitting up of the bulbs:

The rear number plate bulb casing.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03147.jpg

The bulbs Philips Blue Vision W5W 4000K for the rear number plate bulbs.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03148.jpg

First one to snap out.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03150.jpg

Both of them snapped out.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03151.jpg

New white bulbs Philips Blue Vision W5W 4000K successfully installed.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03153.jpg

Another view.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03154.jpg

Fired up.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03155.jpg

Removing the headlamp assembly with details.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03156.jpg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 17:55   #63
Senior - BHPian

The pictures of fitting up of the bulbs: Set 2

RHS Fog lamp cover removed.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03158.jpg

The cover, all dirty.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03159.jpg

Fog lamp bulb connector.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03160.jpg

Fog lamp casing removed by snapping out the bulb connector.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03161.jpg

Made in Slovenia, Hella.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03162.jpg

Off goes the bulb type with the paint.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03163.jpg

New bulb Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 4000K 55W installed
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03164.jpg

New fogs but still old headlamp bulbs.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03165.jpg

Another shot, but in daytime. It is white light finally.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03166.jpg

Just the new fogs with old parking lights, up and bright.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03167.jpg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 18:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

Bpians The Dark Knight is quite dirty in the pictures since it hasn't been washed for 1 week and there was a water scarcity yesterday, so couldn't wash it the other day.

The pictures of fitting up of the bulbs: Set 3 and final, but night shots to follow.

Fog lamps with new bulbs close up.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03168.jpg

Parking light removed from casing.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03169.jpg

Where is my parking light, oh there above.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03170.jpg

Metal plate removal, with and without for easy installation.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03171.jpg

Rubber cover on the high/low beam bulb casing.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03172.jpg

Old yellow lights for the last time.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03173.jpg

New white light bulbs finally, with parking light too installed.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03174.jpg

Complete installation done.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03176.jpg

Without fogs, new bulbs.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03177.jpg

Just the parking light and slight blue reflection in the headlamp casing.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03178.jpg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 18:21   #65
Senior - BHPian

The night shots and the most awaited: The final set.

Low Beam Philips Essential Vision 100/90W H4.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-low-beam.jpg

Low beam with good illumination.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-low-beam2.jpg

Low beam with fogs.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-low-beam-fogs.jpg

Low beam with fogs, another shot.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-low-beam-fogs2.jpg

High beam Philips Essential Vision 100/90W H4.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-high-beam.jpg

Just the fogs Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 4000K.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-fogs.jpg

Just the fogs Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 4000K, another shot.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-fogs2.jpg

Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 4000K fog lamps with good illumination.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-fogs3.jpg

Philips Blue Vision W5W 4000K bulbs.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-parking-lights.jpg

Another shot with Philips Blue Vision W5W 4000K bulbs.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03190.jpg

Thanks for reading, and hope it helps out everyone with the D.i.Y.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 19:03   #66
BHPian

Wow!! Lovely!! Was eagerly waiting for you make these changes to the car. You did all this yourself? Cool. I am glad that I could be of any help.

Now 2 things:
1) First being how is the light? For low beams the spread remains the same or it also increases with the intensity?
2) How big a hole in the pocket??

Thanks for sharing.

CHEERS!!
Old 5th March 2012, 21:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

Great write-up & detailed explanation of the procedure supported by excellent pictures. Keep it up buddy
Old 5th March 2012, 23:00   #68
BHPian

Thanx for the detailed explanation. Is there any difference in the brightness of the fog lamp bulbs than earlier or is it almost the same ? Are relays needed for fog lamps too ?
Old 5th March 2012, 23:09   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
The night shots and the most awaited: The final set.

Low Beam Philips Essential Vision 100/90W H4.
Attachment 897419

Low beam with good illumination.
Attachment 897420

Low beam with fogs.
Attachment 897421

Low beam with fogs, another shot.
Attachment 897422

High beam Philips Essential Vision 100/90W H4.
Attachment 897423

Just the fogs Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 4000K.
Attachment 897424

Just the fogs Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 4000K, another shot.
Attachment 897425

Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 4000K fog lamps with good illumination.
Attachment 897426

Philips Blue Vision W5W 4000K bulbs.
Attachment 897427

Another shot with Philips Blue Vision W5W 4000K bulbs.
Attachment 897428

Thanks for reading, and hope it helps out everyone with the D.i.Y.
A Detailed and crisp review of D.I.Y. with nice set of pictures, Your Sony Camera did right justice to the pictures, they are exactly as i wanted them from my phone camera . Although your Sony is leagues ahead and cannot be compared with my mobile's puny camera.

You must be very happy finally managed everything by yourself.

Even i had a fascination for white light and i too use to turn around and keep looking the car with white light, the first one i saw was a Skoda Octavia and since then i was carving for white light for my black beauty. The purpose was solved when i joined Team-Bhp and Auto lightning thread was icing on the cake

I am sure this setup would serve your purpose for a long time.

Quote:
Rachit.K.Dogra
How big a hole in the pocket??
Your query has already been answered in post number #57 in this thread

Last edited by driving_smartly : 5th March 2012 at 23:15.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:31   #70
BHPian

Great job, Rohaan! You made it look so easy that I will not be able to convince myself to ask the FNAG to change the bulbs for my car!
Old 6th March 2012, 15:35   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Wow!! Lovely!! Was eagerly waiting for you make these changes to the car. You did all this yourself? Cool.
Thanks!

Quote:
1) First being how is the light? For low beams the spread remains the same or it also increases with the intensity?
The spread remains the same, as earlier too I was using Philips 100/90W. Not much difference, high beam does feel tad better. Yesterday had done for grocery shopping, took the car out. There was a stretch which was pitch dark and at low beam the road was very well illuminated and it was pure white light. No tinge of yellow.

Quote:
2) How big a hole in the pocket??!
As driving_smartly said, I have put up the cost in post #57. A copy paste further.

Philips Essential Vision H4 100/90W Rs. 300 per piece X 2
Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 55W 4000K Rs. 675 per set. X 1
Philips Blue Vision T10 W5W 4000K Rs. 100 per set. X 2
All the prices are including Vat 12.5% with bill.
Total = Rs. 1475 with bill. But it is definitely worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Great write-up & detailed explanation of the procedure supported by excellent pictures. Keep it up buddy
Thanks!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
Thanx for the detailed explanation. Is there any difference in the brightness of the fog lamp bulbs than earlier or is it almost the same ? Are relays needed for fog lamps too ?
The stock fogs are of a company named Sylvania 51W. I have replaced them with Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 55W 4000K. There is certainly difference in illumination, the output is more and spread is better. Additional 4W did make some difference.
No relays used, as stock were 51W and the new ones are 55W. 4W wont cause much difference in heat and most companies use 55W as standard compared to 51W that were present in my Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
A Detailed and crisp review of D.I.Y. with nice set of pictures, Your Sony Camera did right justice to the pictures, they are exactly as i wanted them from my phone camera .
You must be very happy finally managed everything by yourself.
Thanks. Doing it all by myself was the best part as I was very cautious with every part. VW workshop was not ready to do it and roadside mechanics would have ripped the bumper to just create some space for working, which was not acceptable. Good to know that my Sony managed to take good pictures.

Quote:
Even i had a fascination for white light and i too use to turn around and keep looking the car with white light, the first one i saw was a Skoda Octavia and since then i was carving for white light for my black beauty. The purpose was solved when i joined Team-Bhp and Auto lightning thread was icing on the cake
Same here, with inputs and photos of your Essential Vision bulbs made the decision taking easy as I knew what the bulbs would be like. Team-Bhp Auto lightning thread helped me out with inputs from many bhpians.

Quote:
I am sure this setup would serve your purpose for a long time.
Yep, for long but if any day Philips introduces 100/90W bulbs higher than 4000K would definitely be tempted to change over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Great job, Rohaan! You made it look so easy that I will not be able to convince myself to ask the FNAG to change the bulbs for my car!
Thanks Nilesh! Nice to know if I be of any help to you. Pardon my ignorance, what does FNAG means?
Old 6th March 2012, 15:51   #72
BHPian

Well the cost does not seem to be very high. I bought Osram Nightbreakers for 1300 Rs and I dont think they have made any significant improvement. I should have actually gone for this setup.

Congratulations on this lovely setup. Will park this for myself for sometime being but would definately be getting it after sometime.

CHEERS!!
Old 6th March 2012, 16:24   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the cost does not seem to be very high. I bought Osram Nightbreakers for 1300 Rs and I dont think they have made any significant improvement. I should have actually gone for this setup.
Rs. 1300 for just 2 bulbs, Osram Night breakers. That's way too expensive for a normal halogen bulb. I have read it right, isn't it?

Later on after the Osram fuse out, you could change over to same setup as mine or better and it would definitely look great on Shadow Blue.
Old 6th March 2012, 16:33   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Rs. 1300 for just 2 bulbs, Osram Night breakers. That's way too expensive for a normal halogen bulb. I have read it right, isn't it?

Later on after the Osram fuse out, you could change over to same setup as mine or better and it would definitely look great on Shadow Blue.
Yes man thats the irony. 1300 for 2 bulbs and I havent much improvement in the light. Yes will wait for sometime and then switch to this setup. Actually I had 100/90 setup in my mind then also but becuase of Relay and the fear of warranty issues I could not take that step. Also I had heard somewhere in case of bikes putting higher wattage bulbs actually affect the reflector also. But now that these fears are gone I would make this switch somedday and will refer to your post for all the details.

Thanks again for sharing
Old 6th March 2012, 16:45   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Nilesh! Nice to know if I be of any help to you. Pardon my ignorance, what does FNAG means?
Yes, I am going to bug you when I go for it! FNAG: Friendly Neighbourhood Accessory Guy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks