Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2012, 17:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done

Few updates on my Dark Knight.

1. Received the Extended Warranty Booklet from VW.

Way back on 7 Jan'12 had gone to VW Navi Mumbai for purchase of windscreen cleaner fluid and had even complained about not to have received Extended Warranty Booklet. Well to my surprise on 10 Jan'12 received it via courier, so VW does listen to complaints and resolves it to. Or did I just got lucky.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-10012012472.jpg

2. Purchased DuPont Tyvek Cover

As usual the dust conditions never relent and as I'm going out for a trip there would be no one washing my car. So purchased the car cover for the same. The insurance cover to keep my Vento safe from my bldg's M.F.Hussains childrens who love drawing over it came at a price of Rs. 3540 inclusive of all taxes.
The cover is quite skin tight and has elastic around the corners to keep the cover in its place. Will see the results when I return back after a week. Till than Dark Knight rests before it rises again.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-27012012491.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-27012012493.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-27012012494.jpg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2012, 20:36   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Is is really worth it? I mean obviously the Tyvek material is very good, and worth the buck and all, but chances are you will probably use it once in a while (maybe not for a good duration after you come back) - wouldn't you be better off with a normal cover? Plus you do seem to have covered parking.

I had to go on a trip last month for 2 weeks, and got a simple cover. It has elastic at the ends, and also had a clip at the bottom (like a belt). No warranty, and probably it wouldn't last very long, but I doubt if I am going to need it in the coming year except once or twice.

Just musing, would be interested in other's thoughts. Btw what is the expected life of this cover?
Old 28th January 2012, 23:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
^^ Is is really worth it? I mean obviously the Tyvek material is very good, and worth the buck and all, but chances are you will probably use it once in a while (maybe not for a good duration after you come back) - wouldn't you be better off with a normal cover? Plus you do seem to have covered parking.
I may sound like a spoiled brat and no offence intended.
I have always learnt to settle for the best or wait till you have earned that much to spend on it. For me quality ranks top most and not quantity.
The normal VW Silver cover comes for Rs. 1600 which is half of what Tyvek costs but Tyvek is a long term investment. First of all its made of durable material and is waterproof which normal cover isn't. Secondly it has double stitch and feel of the material is superior to normal cover. DuPont Tyvek also keeps the car cooler than being remaining uncovered. And it even has a belt underneath for keeping the sides tight like the one you have.
I do have covered parking but where I stay bldg is open on all three sides(nothing whatsoever) which results in a lot of dust just in one day.

Quote:
Btw what is the expected life of this cover?
Absolutely no idea but its the best one could get. The cover is machine washable. The car would be there for at least for 4 yrs till then should serve me well.
Old 24th February 2012, 16:47   #49
BHPian

Hi el lobo 61. Congrats on your purchase. I know its a bit late but still

I too recently bought a Vento Highline TDI and am very happy with it. I saw in your report that you mentioned about the ineffectiveness of the headlamps. Nileshch mentioned that you were doing some work on installing 100/90 bulbs. Can you please share the information so that even I can go ahead and install them?

Regards,
Anant
Old 24th February 2012, 21:03   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
Hi el lobo 61. Congrats on your purchase. I know its a bit late but still
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
I too recently bought a Vento Highline TDI and am very happy with it. I saw in your report that you mentioned about the ineffectiveness of the headlamps. Nileshch mentioned that you were doing some work on installing 100/90 bulbs. Can you please share the information so that even I can go ahead and install them?
First of all congrats on your BLUE, do take good care of it. In Banglore you also have Ultimate Detailerz who all can make your car look just out of showroom. Just ask Nilesh as he recently had got detailing done from them.

Regarding the headlight bulb replacement. I had almost done so much research a week back. Well the stock bulbs are Osram 55W which are absolutely of no use, so change is imminent.
To change over to 100/90W bulbs the first most important thing is getting relays as 100/90W cause lot of heat. You should either get Bosch or PMP, both of them are good, I have PMP though.
I had changed over to Philips 100/90W with PMP relays long back. Recently I wanted to change over to White light instead of the yellow light which we have in stock bulbs. White any day looks far better than yellow light. Most people say white light doesn't have good fog penetration but the ones I was getting were 4300K which are white light with a tinge of yellow and would easily suffice plus you get the looks.

I was thinking over getting Philips EssentialVision H4 100/90W costs Rs. 300 per piece. For fogs as the type is 9006 finalized on Philips CrystalVision HB4 9006 Rs 930 for a set of two.
Now to give a complete effect one even needs to change the parking lights so BlueVision W5W type were the ones available for white light which cost Rs. 100 for a set of two. Another thing I found out was that number plate light are also W5W type so one can also change them over to have a complete effect all round.

I planned to change over the headlamps bulbs and fog lamps bulb myself for some DiY and its quite easy. Most of the road side mechanics suggest to remove/loosen the front bumper for changing the bulb which is essentially not required. You just need to unscrew the head lamp assembly to change the bulbs. In the manual they have illustrated very well how to replace the bulbs.

I had plans to change over last weekend but some other work came up so postponed it till I get time to do it myself. Anantu if you have and other query let me know, would be happy to help.
Regards,
Rohaan.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 22:56   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice bulb-y gyan. I was for sure en"light"ened

100/90W at 300 a piece only? I think the PMP relays would have costed a bit too right? Do share the place where you got it done/or planning to do. A black ventonian in Bombay might be interested.
Old 24th February 2012, 23:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
100/90W at 300 a piece only? I think the PMP relays would have costed a bit too right? Do share the place where you got it done/or planning to do. A black ventonian in Bombay might be interested.
Yup, Philips Essential Vision 100/90W Rs. 300 per piece. The prices are from R.K. Enterprises who are the authorized dealers at Opera house. The prices are inclusive of vat and you get a bill for the same. I plan to install the bulbs myself and its easy. Don't like roadside mechanic laying their hands on my beauty.

Regarding the relays will check the prices for PMP and let you know. Time to meet another Vento owner and that too black. Dark Knight gets to meet its look alike.
Old 25th February 2012, 07:27   #53
BHPian

I was just talking to the guy at Car Palace TVM about changing my headlights out to 100/90 or higher with relays, and he kept insisting that 100/90's could be used in the OE sockets without relays.

He refused to install a relay setup on the basis that it would involve cutting "major" wires and would void the warranty.

True or not true?
Old 25th February 2012, 10:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
I was just talking to the guy at Car Palace TVM about changing my headlights out to 100/90 or higher with relays, and he kept insisting that 100/90's could be used in the OE sockets without relays.

He refused to install a relay setup on the basis that it would involve cutting "major" wires and would void the warranty.

True or not true?
Not at all true.
The guy at Car Palace TVM is trying to make a quick one. 100/90W emit lot of heat and will fry up the electric harness. So for the same reason we install a relay, so if due to heat wire melts it is limited to the relay only, wiring harness remains safe.
Now a days everything is plug and play, no wire cutting and no warranty void. Get either Bosch/PMP relay. Why not try another place who would do the job asked for rather then doing a patchy work which would ultimately result in loss.
Old 25th February 2012, 11:29   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Thanks.

First of all congrats on your BLUE, do take good care of it. In Banglore you also have Ultimate Detailerz who all can make your car look just out of showroom. Just ask Nilesh as he recently had got detailing done from them.

Anantu if you have and other query let me know, would be happy to help.
Regards,
Rohaan.
Thanks for the wishes Rohaan and thank you so much for all the information. Now I'm sure of what to get and how to go about it. In fact, I was concerned when the shop guy said that they need to remove the bumper. I thought it cant be the case and there must be some other way. My bad I didnt check the manual.

I'll be getting 100/90 bulbs with PMP relays like you suggested. Regarding the other lights in the car, I think I'll go about it in a stage by stage manner. Thanks again for the information.

Regarding the detailing session, I'll get in touch with nileshch.

Regards,
Anant
Old 25th February 2012, 18:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Not at all true.
The guy at Car Palace TVM is trying to make a quick one. 100/90W emit lot of heat and will fry up the electric harness. So for the same reason we install a relay, so if due to heat wire melts it is limited to the relay only, wiring harness remains safe.
Now a days everything is plug and play, no wire cutting and no warranty void. Get either Bosch/PMP relay. Why not try another place who would do the job asked for rather then doing a patchy work which would ultimately result in loss.
I had this headlight upsize done on my Swift, first with 100/90 using a relay and then changed up to 130/100. I got it done at Motor Plaza near Sreekariyam TVM, and there was absolutely no hassle then.

That was what made me wonder about this guy.

Well, Jerry's have said they will do it for me on Monday, so I'm all fixed up.
Old 3rd March 2012, 23:27   #57
Senior - BHPian

Finally purchased new contacts lenses(bulbs) for my Dark Knight. Got the following from R.K.Enterprises at Opera House, Mumbai.

Philips Essential Vision H4 100/90W Rs. 300 per piece X 2
Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 55W 4000K Rs. 675 per set. X 1
Philips Blue Vision T10 W5W 4000K Rs. 100 per set. X 2
All the prices are including Vat 12.5% with bill.

Plan to install them tomorrow in the morning. A small D.i.Y. Would be installing the W5W in the parking bulbs in head lights and in rear number plate. Initially was planning to get Crystal Vision 4300K but the shop keeper recommended to use the Blue Vision as they would have the similar color temperature output as the Essential Vision.

The Dark Knight will be transformed tomorrow. Here is a small hint for tomorrow.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03146.jpg

Even got a pair of Torin Jack Stands 3 Ton for Rs. 950. Will be using them for cleaning the under wheel wells with my Karcher K2.180 but after 28 May'12 when my PG exams get over.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03134.jpg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 14:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

After all the trouble and figuring out where this goes and how this comes out, installed all Philips White light bulbs which I had purchased yesterday.

It took me 2 hrs to D.I.Y. myself with my younger brother. There were situation when
  • The headlamp assembly is not coming out, how are we going to install the bulbs. Damn will need to goto workshop.
  • Ohh the fog lamps are of different type which I got. Damn again need to go to the shop again for replacement.

But all well that's end well. Everything went in perfectly. Will elaborate about the whole process with the two situation explained in detail with pictures tomorrow. Going out for a drive but with the Fiesta instead.

Now The Dark Knight is transformed and gets more attention.
Old 4th March 2012, 18:46   #59
BHPian

Quote:

But all well that's end well. Everything went in perfectly. Will elaborate about the whole process with the two situation explained in detail with pictures tomorrow. Going out for a drive but with the Fiesta instead.

Now The Dark Knight is transformed and gets more attention.

I will be eagerly awaiting for the detailed pictures. I am sure you have a good camera which will show the accurate performance of Essential visions accompanying Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 55W 4000K and Philips Blue Vision T10 W5W 4000K, Unlike my pictures which i posted in Auto light thread, the essential visions performance did not come out that good as i would have expected it too.

My parking lights are still stock, now even i can vouch for Philips Blue Vision T10 W5W 4000K or a similar bulb that will fit into my black beauty as well .
Old 5th March 2012, 16:49   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
I will be eagerly awaiting for the detailed pictures. I am sure you have a good camera which will show the accurate performance of Essential visions accompanying Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 55W 4000K and Philips Blue Vision T10 W5W 4000K.
For sure. I have a Sony HX100V, hope it does justice to the Essential Vision and Blue Vision. Working up the whole post and its like writing a whole ownership thread considering the details and pictures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks