Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2012, 10:45   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: The new Skoda Fabia 1.6 comes home!

Thank you Ym-enjn!

Crossed 550 kms yesterday and all going well.

The fuel low indicator is now on as i need to refuel. I dont know if the manual mentions this or not but dont remember reading it

Other than a low fuel light coming on the console , everytime one starts the car in this state , the range is displayed instead of the average fuel consumption , one needs to toggle through the entire cycle to get the avg kmpl reading back.

noticed it yesterday , while driving on the expressway i noticed that the MID was display 50 KM instead of the economy , clearly that is the threshold for the warning to come on. Once i toggled back to the avg kmpl it stayed there all throughout the drive till i started the car later in the evening again and it displayed the distance to empty paramter again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Congrats on the new car. Fabia is one small car I have always liked for its look and class. Also it is different than other cars in the segment. Wish you happy miles. You got a great deal too..
Old 9th February 2012, 19:16   #47
Senior - BHPian

1000 Kilometer update

yes , i have only managed to cover another 450 since i wrote last !

The car is going strong

1. Last fuel economy read 11.5 , i was however surprised to find that there was a considerable difference in the fuel quantity displayed on the MID and what was actually present in the tank - i tanked up when the Distance to empty read about 20 Kms thinking i am down to my last 2-3 Liters but post filling up i realized that it took only 37 liters for a top up - if i recall correctly the tank size is 45 , so i actually had 8 liters still left!

2. Interiors are holding up well , the fabric is looking a bit dirty now and i plan on getting that taken care of soon , but pleasantly surprised that it has taken almost 2 months , i was expecting them to be in need of a cleaning earlier!

3. I am still getting the hang of the sweet spot , every once in a while i either dont press hard enough or do just the opposite

4. No noises of any kind other than the 'squeaky' sound i mentioned in one of the earlier posts

5. i now realize that i would have liked the suspension to be a bit quieter than what it is , sound does come through - i admit that my route is not exactly the best but a little more quiet would have been welcome

6. transmission and movement is as it was - easy enough as from day 1 , i dont think it has got any smoother , not that there is a need to

7. Planning to install the rear speakers , over the last month i have realized that while i am satisfied with the sound quality i am not happy hence will install

8. i received my extended warranty and insurance cover note about 10 days back - it came later than it should have but only by about a week or so.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 20:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
1000 Kilometer update
Indeed, good to hear. Surprisingly, my fabric is still going clean despite the heavy monsoons the car had to withstand during it's 3 month stint in Kerala. Maybe it's cos there are no kids that I need to ferry around yet !

Trying to find the sweet spot at 1000kms is something I wouldn't do with my white baby. I just tried being overly cautious with the Skoda during it's running-in period for upto 5000kms just so that I didn't invite trouble. But, that's a debatable topic in itself.

I've got a pair of DIAMOND components for the rear via friend who was coming in from the Middle East a couple of weeks ago. I plan to have them installed some time soon. Will let you know once done.

Until later, cheers and happy driving !
Old 9th February 2012, 22:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:

1. Last fuel economy read 11.5 , i was however surprised to find that there was a considerable difference in the fuel quantity displayed on the MID and what was actually present in the tank - i tanked up when the Distance to empty read about 20 Kms thinking i am down to my last 2-3 Liters but post filling up i realized that it took only 37 liters for a top up - if i recall correctly the tank size is 45 , so i actually had 8 liters still left!
You should probably fill up with DTE around 80-100 km, before the warning appears on MID. Waiting for the last few litres to be sucked up by the pump in a fairly large tank may not be a good idea.

Quote:
2. Interiors are holding up well , the fabric is looking a bit dirty now and i plan on getting that taken care of soon , but pleasantly surprised that it has taken almost 2 months , i was expecting them to be in need of a cleaning earlier!
May be making a habit of driving with windows up would be a good idea in Delhi.

Quote:
3. I am still getting the hang of the sweet spot , every once in a while i either dont press hard enough or do just the opposite
I found it takes longer to master using the clutch the right way (ver well described by demonhead here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2658266) Once you learn to use the clutch for reversing and starting off, you get good control over car without jerks at low speeds.

Quote:
5. i now realize that i would have liked the suspension to be a bit quieter than what it is , sound does come through - i admit that my route is not exactly the best but a little more quiet would have been welcome
Are you sure its from the suspension and not from the glove box or front door pockets? In over 16000 km I didn't notice any abmormal sound even in bad hill roads in HP. But objects in glove box do rattle on bad roads.

Quote:
8. i received my extended warranty and insurance cover note about 10 days back - it came later than it should have but only by about a week or so.
Did you also get a warranty booklet stating whats covered and whats not? I didn't ... just got the warranty note.

Happy motoring
Old 10th February 2012, 10:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post

Trying to find the sweet spot at 1000kms is something I wouldn't do with my white baby. I just tried being overly cautious with the Skoda during it's running-in period for upto 5000kms just so that I didn't invite trouble. But, that's a debatable topic in itself.
!
Actually what i was trying to say when i wrote "Sweet Spot" was the point where there is an almost instant response from the engine - i am still not used to the free play which is present in the pedal

5000 Km running in period? - i think my manual says its 1500 and i am being quite disciplined about it as well , 90% of the driving does not exceed 2000 RPM in any gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
You should probably fill up with DTE around 80-100 km, before the warning appears on MID. Waiting for the last few litres to be sucked up by the pump in a fairly large tank may not be a good idea.

May be making a habit of driving with windows up would be a good idea in Delhi.

Are you sure its from the suspension and not from the glove box or front door pockets? In over 16000 km I didn't notice any abmormal sound even in bad hill roads in HP. But objects in glove box do rattle on bad roads.

Did you also get a warranty booklet stating whats covered and whats not? I didn't ... just got the warranty note.

Happy motoring
Agreed , shall fuel up earlier than what i do now - but still quite the difference in the MID and the actual quantity which was present!

Driving with the windows up over the last 2 months has not been a problem given the weather , but end Feb to Mid April is quite nice in Delhi , just before the summer hits , will have a hard time keeping the windows up during this period

The noise is definitely not from the glovebox or the front door pockets - other than my manual in the glovebox there is nothing kept there. One cannot hear the noise with the windows rolled up - and the noise only appears when the car goes over something which gives it some vertical movement - like a speedbreaker , while climbing the breaker there is no noise , when the wheels come back down then is when this 'release of air" type of sound comes , could be absolutely normal for all i know.

No , i did not get any warranty booklet , just the note - ill call and find out if its coming. How long did it take you to get your RC card?
Old 10th February 2012, 17:33   #51
BHPian

Quote:
How long did it take you to get your RC card?
I got mine after a month. It may differ depending on RTO. My Reg is DL 12C.
Old 13th February 2012, 13:02   #52
Senior - BHPian

Co-incidentally i got a call from the dealer after you posted this , mine has come as well and is lying at the dealership.

I asked about a booklet for the extended 'warranty' , was told that only the policy comes nothing else

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
I got mine after a month. It may differ depending on RTO. My Reg is DL 12C.
Old 16th February 2012, 16:27   #53
BHPian

Congratulations and welcome to the Club-v16!
well, I'vnt got chance to read through all the posts but saw some pics of the rear defogger/wiper and 15" alloys! It will be missed all the time, Why this kolavari di? Skoda!
iSpoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 17:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

^@iSpoke: I am unable to find your ownership thread. Sorry for the off-topic post.
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:40   #55
psn
BHPian

7. Planning to install the rear speakers , over the last month i have realized that while i am satisfied with the sound quality i am not happy hence will install

Hi, I just bought a Skoda Fabia 1.6, and got rear speakers fitted in it. I got Hertz Energy Coax 165.
2 big problems why I would suggest don't bother putting money into it. 1) the system doesnt support 4 speakers, it supports 2 speakers and 2 tweeters. 3) it doesnt have an option to adjust fader, so even if you cut wires and connect the speakers you will not be able to adjust the output. Therefore, the net result of having rear speakers is negated and the experience is not a wholesome experience.

But congratulations for the purchase. Have been following your writeups regularly.
Old 22nd February 2012, 18:45   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
2 big problems why I would suggest don't bother putting money into it. 1) the system doesnt support 4 speakers, it supports 2 speakers and 2 tweeters. 3) it doesnt have an option to adjust fader, so even if you cut wires and connect the speakers you will not be able to adjust the output. Therefore, the net result of having rear speakers is negated and the experience is not a wholesome experience.
REALLY ??

Now, that's the first time someone told me that.SO, did that mean you had to change your HU too?

Oh btw, I didn't know we had a new Fabia 1.6 on the forum. Pics mayb and welcome.
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:31   #57
psn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
REALLY ??

Now, that's the first time someone told me that.SO, did that mean you had to change your HU too?

Oh btw, I didn't know we had a new Fabia 1.6 on the forum. Pics mayb and welcome.

No didnt change the HU, the accessories store just made some modifications to the wiring and added the speakers. This particular model of skoda system doesnt support 4 speakers. The system that comes with Rapid is better as it supports 4 speakers, 2 tweeters and SD Card..Wish atleast our 1.6 had this system. THE CAR DESERVES IT...is anybody in skoda listening?

BTW the sales people told me categorically said that the car has 4 speakers, I guess 2 speakers and 2 tweeters = 4 speakers in skoda terms. Can't complain though cause I knew what I was getting into and the car and engine was too good for me to care about rear speakers, but didnt know that the music system itself is not meant for 4 speakers.

However, having said that, if you do wish to get the rear speakers fitted have a look at Hertz, its brilliant and I got the fitting done from the accessories store where the dealer sends the new cars to fit the accessories on behalf of the customers when one orders accessories with the dealer. And he suggested me Hertz. The sound is crystal clear. He also recommended Memphis. And dont compromise on the wiring, get good quality branded wiring done.
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

Its the first i have heard as well - my sales guy told me the same thing - provision for 4 speakers!! how i wish they would improve customer servicing - not having 4 speaker provision would not have made me look at another car but if they had simply told me then i would not crib one bit!
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:01   #59
BHPian

Quote:
not having 4 speaker provision would not have made me look at another car but if they had simply told me then i would not crib one bit!
Totally agree.

I guess it's not that big of a deal for the SQ that the stock speakers deliver. I happened to sit in a friend's Figo this morning en route to work and realized the bliss I experience while driving the Fabia to work every morning.

So, unless you are an audiophile, I think it's good enough to pass for the while and save yourselves from service issues that 'can' possibly crop up. I, for one, wouldn't want to INVITE mr.trouble after having read all Skoda service center issues I've read on this forum.
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:32   #60
BHPian

Quote:
I have the same problem with my car. Is it because there's more fuel left or the tank size is smaller than reported? Either ways I don't take chances, I refuel once the reserve warning comes on

Quote:
Interiors do hold up very well. My car is more than a year old now and has been dirtied many a time by pesky kids and relatives. I use a wet cloth to rub patches of dirt off, good enough for 50% of stains. Then use a upholstery cleaning foam to remove the tough stains. I do this about once every 3-4 months and the seats still look fresh. Never found the need to give it to a professional cleaner till now

Quote:
4. No noises of any kind other than the 'squeaky' sound i mentioned in one of the earlier posts
Had the same issue, squeaking noise near one of the rear doors, terrible when I went over bumps. During got resolved during my first service at Vinayak, Bangalore. I was charged a few hundred rupees for lubrication

Quote:
6. transmission and movement is as it was - easy enough as from day 1 , i dont think it has got any smoother , not that there is a need to
Engine+transmission do get smoother with use. My car is quieter and easier to drive after a year and 6000km

The Fabia 1.6 is a tough little car, the package ages well with time. Am sure you will enjoy your ride!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks