Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 11:11   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The new Skoda Fabia 1.6 comes home!

Yes , the Fabia allows one to set a speed limit post which an audio alert sounds in the cabin , mine is set to 60 Kmph , so it goes off all the time !

Just gave the car for its first free service , i am not close to the 15,000 km mark ( only at about 9000 right now) but 1 year is almost up and decided to go ahead and get it done even though could have waited for another 45 days or so.

Estimated cost is going to be about 7,000. This will primarily include engine oil and replacement of major filters such as the air filter , fuel filter etc , in fact the SE was straight enough to tell me that i did not need to replace the filter but doing it anyway. oil will be 3.8 liters or so.

Additionally there is a charge of 400 for balancing , the alignment and rotation is not being charged for ( had got the alignment done during the free checkup and was not happy hence being done under that itself)

lastly , decided to try out their dry cleaning services , the seats have had it especially thanks to the last 2 trips to Shimla , will cost 1,400 - might be a waste but if they do a good job then it beats buying new covers/seats.

Will attach bill once it comes. The little reading i have done on the costs makes me believe that the cost is more or less fine.
Old 17th October 2012, 14:18   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Yes , the Fabia allows one to set a speed limit post which an audio alert sounds in the cabin , mine is set to 60 Kmph , so it goes off all the time !

lastly , decided to try out their dry cleaning services , the seats have had it especially thanks to the last 2 trips to Shimla , will cost 1,400 - might be a waste but if they do a good job then it beats buying new covers/seats.
And I finally discovered it myself last night.. phew ! Thanks guys. I set it to 70kmph cos the car dwells within city limits most of the time. And considering 60kmph is the city speed limit and also allowing some space for speedo corrections, 70kmph sounds like a good number.

I normally take the car out to another renowned alignment center here in Bangalore once every 4000kms as their charges a wee bit more reasonable and they do a WAAAAY better job at it than in the service center. (The last time I went to the service center for a steering centering job, those guys made it even worse and that too in the opposite direction)

As for car interior maintenance, a plush treatment at 3M for the Fabi's birthday - for me, June!
Old 17th October 2012, 15:06   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Estimated cost is going to be about 7,000. This will primarily include engine oil and replacement of major filters such as the air filter , fuel filter etc , in fact the SE was straight enough to tell me that i did not need to replace the filter but doing it anyway. oil will be 3.8 liters or so.
Puchoo, please go through the manual carefully before handing over your car to service station. Especially regarding the engine oil, be very very careful.

These people will try to fleece you on the quantity of engine oil.

Like in my case, the manual says 2.85 ltrs., but nawab had put in 4.3 ltrs. I had a bitter argument with service advisor, and then the service manager after which they were forced to take out 1.5 ltrs. of oil. A plain saving of the engine as well as 1,500 bucks.
Old 17th October 2012, 15:41   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post

I normally take the car out to another renowned alignment center here in Bangalore once every 4000kms as their charges a wee bit more reasonable and they do a WAAAAY better job at it than in the service center. (The last time I went to the service center for a steering centering job, those guys made it even worse and that too in the opposite direction)

As for car interior maintenance, a plush treatment at 3M for the Fabi's birthday - for me, June!
I used to do the same with the WagonR once i realized that these guys will be unable to manage , and i will take the Fabia outside as well if that needs to be done. Their last job was almost there but just missed a perfect score by a bit , i am giving them the benefit of the doubt one last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Puchoo, please go through the manual carefully before handing over your car to service station. Especially regarding the engine oil, be very very careful.

These people will try to fleece you on the quantity of engine oil.

Like in my case, the manual says 2.85 ltrs., but nawab had put in 4.3 ltrs. I had a bitter argument with service advisor, and then the service manager after which they were forced to take out 1.5 ltrs. of oil. A plain saving of the engine as well as 1,500 bucks.
The manual says 3.6 liters , i think the SE gave me a range of 3.6-3.8 , so appears to be fine , will definitely be looking at the bill quite carefully.
Old 19th October 2012, 17:17   #140
Senior - BHPian

First Service Costs

Here it is then , the total service cost me 7000 INR including taxes , out of which 1400 INR was for dry cleaning which they have not done too bad a job of actually , but can be deducted since that does not fall under 'service' , my net payout thus came to 5400 inclusive of taxes.

Break up
Air filter 414 INR
Oil filter 286 INR
Fuel filter 438 INR
Engine oil 3133 - this was approximately 4 liters of CSTL Magnatec
Balancing 300 INR
Windscreen fluid 88 INR

Think this is a pretty reasonable amount , if i look at the amount minus the dry cleaning , it works out to around 450 INR per month as a monthly maintenance cost , given that i drive about 1000kms a month , in terms of per kilometer its 45 paise.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 21:31   #141
BHPian

Quote:
First Service Costs Break up
Air filter 414 INR
Oil filter 286 INR
Fuel filter 438 INR
Balancing 300 INR
Windscreen fluid 88 INR
The expenses are slightly less than what I paid at Fahrenheit auto in Dec 2011. It appears there's a reduction in costs or Fahrenheit was overcharging.

Here's what I paid:
Shell Helix Ultra Oil 4.5 ltrs @ 846/ltr = Rs 3806
Oil Filter = Rs 370
Wind Screen Liquid = Rs 102
VAT = Rs 820
Total = Rs 5099
Old 21st October 2012, 06:56   #142
BHPian

Just Completed my 1st service as I am close to the 1 year mark.
Total service expense came to 6655 including VAT.
Air filter 956!!
Oil filter - 281
fuel filter - 430
filter element - (Guess pollen filter) - 638
oil 3.6L - 2955
consumables -485
summerwash-62

other than this had an indicator not working- Rat bite!! ended up spending an additional 900 bucks.
Got my wheel alignment and balancing done outside with the bridgestone dealer.
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:20   #143
Senior - BHPian

Why was you airfilter charge so high? Did you order something non OEM or are you now suspecting that they would have overcharged.

And consumables would include?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93000BHP View Post
Just Completed my 1st service as I am close to the 1 year mark.
Total service expense came to 6655 including VAT.
Air filter 956!!
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:56   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Why was you airfilter charge so high? Did you order something non OEM or are you now suspecting that they would have overcharged.

I was also wondering about the price of the air filter.
But the price tag in the box says 1094

When I asked about consumables the SA said it includes some grease, cotton waste,battery terminal protection spray...etc...etc...
Didnt want to waste anymore time arguing ..
Old 26th October 2012, 14:30   #145
Senior - BHPian

They should have indicated it at least beforehand that such an item cost might be present in the final bill , with me fortunately they have been quite upfront

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93000BHP View Post

When I asked about consumables the SA said it includes some grease, cotton waste,battery terminal protection spray...etc...etc...
Didnt want to waste anymore time arguing ..
Old 27th October 2012, 09:44   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First Service Costs

Here it is then , the total service cost me 7000 INR including taxes , out of which 1400 INR was for dry cleaning which they have not done too bad a job of actually , but can be deducted since that does not fall under 'service' , my net payout thus came to 5400 inclusive of taxes.

Break up
Air filter 414 INR
Oil filter 286 INR
Fuel filter 438 INR
Balancing 300 INR
Windscreen fluid 88 INR

Think this is a pretty reasonable amount , if i look at the amount minus the dry cleaning , it works out to around 450 INR per month as a monthly maintenance cost , given that i drive about 1000kms a month , in terms of per kilometer its 45 paise.
Quote:

I am pretty sure you got the prices mixed up. Swift air filter costs Rs 268.

I think the Rs 286 is for the air filter and the oil filter is Rs 1094 ?

Could you check your invoice and let us know ?

If they charged you RS 1094 for air filter then
Old 9th November 2012, 14:53   #147
Senior - BHPian

Just a quick update , post the servicing everything is more or less fine , the AC still works

Few things which i am not happy about , the sporadic shuddering of the engine once in a while is still appearing , it appears to be a bit more 'frequent' now , but i noticed that my idling speed is at about 750 RPM's , and it should be 800 so it could be something as small as that.

Alignment and balancing are holding up great.

I have also got some System G which i am going to use during the next tank up.
Old 9th November 2012, 18:47   #148
BHPian

Quote:
I have also got some System G which i am going to use during the next tank up.
Woho! Do you really want to do this? I would suggest speaking to a good Skoda mechanic (if you know one at the ASC).
Old 9th November 2012, 19:30   #149
Senior - BHPian

The System G was not for this problem specifically , i thought it was a good thing to use every once in a while irrespective of whether one has a problem or not - keep the lines a bit clean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D;295832-3
Woho! Do you really want to do this? I would suggest speaking to a good Skoda mechanic (if you know one at the ASC).
Old 11th November 2012, 14:34   #150
Senior - BHPian

I dug out my invoice and double checked and i did write it correctly the first time

Air filter - 414
Oil Filter - 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I am pretty sure you got the prices mixed up. Swift air filter costs Rs 268.

I think the Rs 286 is for the air filter and the oil filter is Rs 1094 ?

Could you check your invoice and let us know ?

If they charged you RS 1094 for air filter then
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks