Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 13:41   #1
BHPian

A Bug's Life - Nissan Micra dci

A very big HI to all of you. This is my first attempt at a new thread. I have been an avid reader of team-bhp for over three years now, became a member this year but never really took off! Now its time for me to turn a new leaf and get more involved here because I eat, sleep, drink cars.

Current scenario and the requirement for a new car:
My family owns a Skoda Laura, a Hyundai i10 and an Opel Corsa Sail. Now my brother has done up the i10 to suit his lifestyle (of a college hippie) with loud exhausts, body kits, noisy ICE, weird lighting... so much so that it is absolutely impossible for sober people like us to go unnoticed! Infact most of us think twice before we take it out because every time we find us surrounded by his friends honking and banging against the car(thinking it is him). This has pretty much rendered the car unusable as neither my folks nor me and my wife take it out much(though I love the way she drives and the way my brother has done up the body kit). The Laura is too much for a regular office going guy under his 30's to take it occasionally to office (it would get tongues wagging- well thats how it is at my workplace). So I pretty much started using the Sail which my Dad used in Delhi for the last 7 years. Now this was an ok solution as my Dad maintained it impeccably and I always loved her. But something happened during transit and by the time it came to Chennai, most of the suspension system went kaput. Tried to get it sorted temporarily and started using it. Then came an alarming issue - Fuel Consumption. It hardly returned about 8kmpl. Now my dad did not notice it much as his driving was limited(It has done only 35000km in 7 years!). Now this was becoming very difficult as neither did it give good efficiency, neither would I get a good price for it. Add to this my wife required a vehicle to get to her office every day (I still travel by the office-bus) . Thus we decided, It was time for me to get my first car!

Zeeroing down! :
Now, the Indian hatchback market is and extremely difficult place to be. Every car is good in one or two areas but none good in all. The choice was to be made between the following:
(Of course it had to be a diesel!)
1. VW Polo TDi
2. Ford Figo TDCi
3. Swift DDis
4. Nissan Micra dci
5. Chevy Beat TCdi

VW Polo : I love the way this one looks. Masculine and clear-cut lines. Probably only surpassed by the Punto (I would have picked up the Punto blindly had it not been for the engine and service part of it). Add to this I have always loved European cars. Coming back to the Polo, though externally, the car was beautiful, interiors were just about OK. The biggest problem was the leg-room! Now everyone in my family is pretty tall. I am a little over 6 and when i sat on the drivers side, no one could squeeze in behind me – mainly due to the low seating. Moreover the top-end costed well above 8lacs. And the lower versions were pretty plain-jane! The biggest deciding factor was the noisy 3 cyliner engine and the frequent gear shifts. I also had a chat with a used car dealer(a friend) who strictly advised against 3 cylinder engines saying they get noisier as the kms on them increase. To prove it he gave me two polos he had, one at 32000 km and the other hitting 48000km. There was marked difference in all three that I drove with respect to the noise levels.

Ford Figo: Nice car to drive and decent quality interiors. But no matter how much I tried, It kept reminding me of the previous generation Fiesta that I used to see in plently in the UK. I just couldnt help but laud at the way Ford is selling the same car in four different names! The Fiesta Classic/ 'New Fiesta/ Figo and the Ikon (now discontinued). The car however was as comfortable as ever, lovely steering, well sorted ride and handling, decent space . However, even the top end missed out on certain features like the electric windows etc.

Swift DdiS: Now swift has a big fan following. The newer one will probably out-sell the previous generation. But the uninterested attitude of the dealer threw me off. It was either 4 months or “please look elsewhere”! Another reason why I let it pass was the design was not a major departure from the previous one and very soon it would swarm the market and I would end up missing my own car at the Parking lot! (I always loved being a little different) ! But a lovely car though!

Chevy Beat : This was initially my choice. Looked stunning, my wife could drive around easily and would be easy on the pocket! But..... very small on the inside, cheap plastics and a bit “toy-like”. Would be good for my wife, but me?? there was a doubt in my head – so let it pass!

Nissan Micra: Now that brings us to the Micra! Now, Micra may not exacltly be stunning and special to look at! But reminds you of the yore. A little beetle- like, retro and classic. Definitely a lot more human effort has gone into creating the surfaces on this one and it definitely does not look regular. And the amount of space inside was surprising too. Interiors followed a hmmm typical grey – beige combo ( I would have preferred the black though). Took a test drive, was breeze to drive in the city. It was just like driving a petrol, albeit a bit noisy initially. I could start easily from sencond gear, something I couldnt dream in the Laura TDi. Equipment was decent but the star however was the 'START – STOP” thingy. More on that later...

Dealer Experience:
Horrible!
We booked the Burnt Orange XV variant (top-end minus climate control, alloys, spoiler, fog lamps, rear demister). Now the XV variant was 6.62L on road and XV premium was 7.20L on road. Why I chose the XV was because I definitely did not want the Stock alloys on it. I just would not be able to explain to my dad that I was changing the stock alloys for another set. Spoiler and fog lamps are things which I could get later. Climate control was not important – I thought it looked like a Fischer Price toy, totally immature.
So booked on 30 november on insistence from the dealer that the vehicle was already loaded and reach within two days provided I made the booking on that day. The loan formalities would take me a day, so everythin was cool. After two days when I call to check coz I wanted to do a PDI,the vehicle had not reached!I however made the full payment and was told that the vehicle has been loaded today and would reach in two days! What I was not able to understand was that I was in chennai and the plant is just about 40 km from from the city. Why would it take 2-3 days to reach the showroom? I work in an automobile major too and if necessary we wouldn mind driving down from the factory if the customer was ok. From here on it started. On every deadline, he would say the next day. This went on. Finally on 10 december I went over to cancel my booking as there was absolutuely no communication from their end and every single time it was me who was enquiring. Once I reached there and asked to cancel, the sales guy seemed to start panicking. Immediately his Manager came down and started saying things like it is not possible to cancel as the Invoice has already been raised and the chassis number has been assigned and stuff like that. He brought along a file showing me the booking and on seeing that, I noticed that three or four chassis numbers were assigned and struck off against my name. This pissed me off. I questioned him asking whether he had been giving of my cars to other priority customers. He also began to panic saying that my name was not getting registered in their system and they had to do it three four times and hence so many Chassis number (How lame!!!) . I asked him to complete all formalities for cancellation and I would return the next day. Next day the GM called me saying a million sorries and that he would do somethin immediately. He called me again saying he had gone to the plant to ensure my vehicle would get loaded today itself. He seemed tobe genuine and ignorant about the activities below him (but I am sure all are in the same soup)! After repeated pleading, I agreed to take the car. By 13 December the vehicle reached them. I couldnt do much of a PDI. Just the regular stuff. It went for registration and finally took delivery on 14th December. Luckily all the free accessories had been fixed as I was prepared to give them another blasting for that. Anyways alls well that ends well. Will however not recommend them to anyone.

Initial Drive:

The car went straight from Show room to get new set of shoes. I had already selected the wheels much in advance almost at the time of booking. I got them upgraded to 195/60 R15 Appollo Aceleres(the others were just to expensive at this point of time for me) along with 15 inch Lenso Raidens.

Thus began our journey. Everybody at home loves the 'bug'. It is so damn easy to drive around, you seldom get tired or feel like you are driving a diesel. The push start and the intellligent keys are all super-stars and a nice way to introduce people to the car and the reactions are really encouraging. People sitting behind are comfortable and the interiors are pleasant even thought the plastics are hard. I did not want to push her hard during the running- in period and kms just kept flying. I have been getting an average of around 16kmpl at the moment. My immediate aim was to finish off 1000 kms so that I could sent her off for the first service( the hidden agenda was the fog lamps and the spoiler). I took her for service on 24th December (which was just a check up) and enqired about the spoiler anf fog lamps. Here I was in for a shocker! A Pair of fog lamps including installation was Rs. 36000!!! I just couldnt digest it. Imagine even if I somehow get it fixed, what if I would have to replace it! So left it just at that and got a Rear spoiler fixed(cost Rs. 6400).
Meanwhile loving every minute I spend with her. I dont feel tired of driving and am always looking for a chance. First service was good and the vehicle was returned on the same day as given( in -spite of being told two days for the spoiler).

Positive:
  1. Good looking (my perception)
  2. Pleasant interiors
  3. Peppy engine
  4. Easy to drive
  5. Spacious
  6. Intelligent key
  7. Ideal gear ratios
  8. Electric mirrors ( adjust and retract)
Negatives;
  1. Sound system average
  2. Beige seats and interiors easily soiled
  3. Bad dealer experience
  4. Long gear shift thows
  5. Bad highway manners
  6. Clutch play on the higher side
  7. OEM spoiler not the same as the one which comes on the top end vehicle
Have not clicked her much, so will post pictures soon. Will keep updating as time flies. Watch this space. Cheers!!!

Last edited by Eddy : 30th December 2011 at 13:47. Reason: Pls see next post point # 2
rnair is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 13:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: A Bug's Life - Nissan Micra dci

Thanks for the report. Couple of points, though

1- Some pics would greatly enhance this thread. Please do post them soon.

2- Do go through the rules of the forum. Not more than 2 smilies are allowed per post.

3- Kindly do not use all CAPS to post. Its akin to 'shouting' in the virtual world .

Last edited by Eddy : 30th December 2011 at 13:49.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 13:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Thanks for the report. Couple of points, though

1- Some pics would greatly enhance this thread. Please do post them soon.

2- Do go through the rules of the forum. Not more than 2 smilies are allowed per post.

3- Kindly do not use all CAPS to post. Its akin to 'shouting' in the virtual world .
Thank you so much Eddy. That was very encouraging. Will make sure of your points from here on. Pics will be uploaded over this weekend. Kindly bear with me till then
Old 30th December 2011, 14:35   #4
BHPian

Congratulation!

As already mentioned by Eddy , some pics would greatly enhance the quality of this thread.

Though you have mentioned that the shoes were changed right after getting the delivery, did you notice any visible difference in the ride quality with the new profile 195/60 R15 Appollo Aceleres ?

I ask this because Micra has a slightly lower Kerb weight compared to Swift or Punto so just wanted to check the impact of the change on Micra.
Old 30th December 2011, 14:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnair View Post
Here I was in for a shocker! A Pair of fog lamps including installation was Rs. 36000!!!
Are you sure ? Is there an extra 0 here ?
Old 30th December 2011, 15:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car! and yes Micra looks very cute (somehow I did not like the rear though). Eager to see her pictures wearing 15" and those Lenso Raidens!

+ If you do not mind post your brother's i10 pics too
Old 30th December 2011, 18:01   #7

Congratulations for your new car! Really waiting to get a glimpse of the beauty.
Old 31st December 2011, 01:06   #8
BHPian

Congratulation for the Bug. There have not been many reviews of the Diesel Micra. What is the avg FE that the car is churning out?
Do post some snaps. It is a sacrilege to post a review sans pics.
Old 31st December 2011, 01:13   #9
BHPian

Hey am back with a few pics. Please note that these were taken at night because the weather out here is bad with all the cyclone and all that.
Attached Thumbnails
A Bug's Life - Nissan Micra dci-photo15.jpg  

A Bug's Life - Nissan Micra dci-photo16.jpg  

A Bug's Life - Nissan Micra dci-photo18.jpg  

A Bug's Life - Nissan Micra dci-photo20.jpg  

A Bug's Life - Nissan Micra dci-photo22.jpg  

Attached Images

rnair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 01:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSD View Post
Congratulation!

As already mentioned by Eddy , some pics would greatly enhance the quality of this thread.

Though you have mentioned that the shoes were changed right after getting the delivery, did you notice any visible difference in the ride quality with the new profile 195/60 R15 Appollo Aceleres ?

I ask this because Micra has a slightly lower Kerb weight compared to Swift or Punto so just wanted to check the impact of the change on Micra.
Hey as I changed the immediately, I could not actually find time to compare. But one thing was that the ultra light steering became slightly tighter after the change. Otherwise ride and handling is decent though definitely not up there with VWs and Skodas
Old 31st December 2011, 01:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Are you sure ? Is there an extra 0 here ?
Yup that was the quote. Another dealer I asked quoted 32000 (though I dont know if there were any other hidden costs. He on the other hand directed me to go to a car decor and get Hella's fixed as they would be cheaper!
Old 31st December 2011, 01:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Congrats on your new car! and yes Micra looks very cute (somehow I did not like the rear though). Eager to see her pictures wearing 15" and those Lenso Raidens!

+ If you do not mind post your brother's i10 pics too
Hey Latheesh, these are for you
Attached Thumbnails
A Bug's Life - Nissan Micra dci-248284_10150200961254013_726234012_7237911_5286663_n.jpg  

A Bug's Life - Nissan Micra dci-36005_396452081641_678016641_4685316_4390275_n.jpg  

A Bug's Life - Nissan Micra dci-35073_1530608665936_1256322315_1455674_6158492_n.jpg  

Attached Images

rnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 08:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Micra, she looks cute, and those alloys look real good on this color.

Your brothers i10 looks wicked, those alloys and skirt look awesome. if i was you i would not mind being the one in that car .

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 31st December 2011 at 08:17.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 14:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Congratulations on the Micra, she looks cute, and those alloys look real good on this color.

Your brothers i10 looks wicked, those alloys and skirt look awesome. if i was you i would not mind being the one in that car .
Hey Mayank, I would have loved to drive around in that about 5 years ago. Lately dont like too much of attention. I love the way she looks, but the noise she makes it too much of an "attention seeker"! I say this because I and my friends mock at wannabe boy racers with loud exhausts and blaring hip-hop. So doing the same could get a bit uncomfortable. Its another thing that I enjoy all that when am all alone
Old 1st January 2012, 18:53   #15
BHPian

Congratulations alot for your Orange bug.
Its raining Micra Diesels in my region & I felt nice to see one more on this forum.
People in our region are giving preference to it over New Swift, due to latter's waiting period & Old-ish character.
Friends of my friends are getting ~20kmpl in City conditions & 5-6 more on Highways.

One personal query: From where did you got this Door Sill blackened in the centre ??
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks