Team-BHP - Dream Comes True -: Tata Safari LX
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Dream Comes True -: Tata Safari LX (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/113367-dream-comes-true-tata-safari-lx.html)

Today I got delivery of my Tata Safari LX. Safari was my dream vehicle and my dream has finally come true. Here are the details of the entire process.

Selection -:

After selling my Grande I was again searching Teambhp for its replacement. Was confused between Safari, Scorpio, etc. Read the ownership threads of Safari and Scorpio. Decided to go and have a test drive of Scorpio. Went to Narain Motors which is very close to my house. The sales Agent quickly attended us and offered a test drive. The variant was VLX. Here is my opinion.

+ Loved all the gadgets which were being offered in VLX.
+ Loved the Micro Hybrid technology.
+ Engine noise was less.
+ Engine response and pickup was good considering its a 2 ton vehicle.
+ Good built.
- Ride was little bouncy.
- Interiors not that great.
- Due to the shape of AC vents of center console, directing air to a particular direction is little difficult.

PS These are just my opinions and not to hurt owners sentiments.

After listening to all the discounts and offers moved out of the showroom. Our next stop was Goldrush for the test drive of Safari. Sales Manager Mr. Shakeel was our friend and attended to us personally. After discussing the price of various models he gave us a test drive. The model was EX variant. Here are my opinions.

+ Again silent cabin and less NVH levels.
+ Acres of space. Comfortable front and middle seats.
+ Ride was less bounce compared to Scorpio. Maybe because it is heavy than Scorpio.
- Fit and finish not good as already discussed here.
- Huge turning radius.
- While revering view is hindered due to the spare wheel on the tail gate.

Now we had to choose between these two. My budget was not high so only Scorpio LX and Safari LX fitted the budget. After comparing the features of both the SUV's decided to go for Safari. Also I was getting a higher cash discount than Scorpio so Safari was the choice. Now we had to chose the colour. Contacted Mr. Shakeel to ask for colours and he informed that only two colours are readily available. Black and white. Since black is difficult to maintain went with white.

Features that I got in Safari LX over Scorpio LX-:

1. Arm rest on middle row seats and on driver and co driver seat.
2. Rear wash and wipe.
3. Side cladding.
4. Door pockets on all 4 doors.
5. Coat hooks.
6. All power windows have express down feature.

Again these are purely my opinions and features that suited me.

Discounts and freebies-:

Was offered 30k discount and 20k loyalty bonus. Was also given free teflon and antirust coating. Also got scuff plates for all the doors. Got body cover also.

Booking Experience and Delivery -:

Next day went and booked the Safari. He informed that their are 5 Safari's in transit. Gave a cheque of Rs. 1.50 lakhs. Now had to arrange for finances. Took a loan from Tata Finance. It took them 4 days to issue the loan. Everything was done. Now the wait starts. The wait was really painful. Finally the day arrives when I finally bring my beast home. Went to the showroom and did a PDI. Everything was fine. Odo reading was 31.2 kms. All the paperwork was done in a hassle free manner. They handed me a box of cookies and a photo was clicked. I was given 10 lt of free diesel.

PS I would like to thank verditer and anujmishra who answered all my questions patiently and their answers really helped me in finalising the Safari.

About Safari -:

It is surely a head turner. Now those crazy taxi drivers dont jump in front of it like they used to do earlier when I was using Figo after selling off my Grande. The speed breakers are not a hindrance any more. Safari moves over them with a thud. Ride as everyone knows is excellent. Driving in city is little difficult due to its dimensions but it is a question of getting used to. Taking U- Turns is difficult in congested roads due to huge turning radius. Scorpio is better in this department as its turning radius is small and its easier to drive in traffic. The doors open wide for easy entry and exit but it is difficult for elders to climb in easily due to is height. NVH levels are very less and feels as if we are sitting in a petrol car.

Since I owned Tata Sumo Grande here is the comparison I have made.

Safari VS Sumo Grande -:

1. From the drivers seat of Safari you get a commanding view and much better view of the road than in Grande.
2. The engine responsiveness of Safari is better. It has better pickup. Ya I know that Safari has a much more powerful engine but it is just my opinion.
3. The interiors are miles ahead of Grande. The quality and fit and finish is awesome.
3. The seats are offer better thigh support than in Grande. Safari seats have better padding and so better support.
4. Presence of Gas struts on the sides of Bonnet. It is a very helpful feature to have in cars of this size. This was absent in Sumo Grande.
5. Steering wheel is small and better to use.
6. The ride is miles ahead as Safari has coil springs compared to Grande's leaf springs.
7. Due to side facing seats entry is much easier from back door unlike Grande in which one had to fold the middle row to enter the last row.

These are the things in which Safari scores more.

Have driven for a couple of Kms. Here are my observations.

Ride Quality -:

Ride quality is a great improvement. Now I dont feel jerks anymore. It glides over broken roads with a mild thud. Even the speed breakers are not a problem now. Due to coil springs I can take it over a speed breaker with a greater speed compared to Grande in which I had to literally crawl due to its bounce suspension setup.

Interiors and other useful features-:

Interiors are also good and TATA have provided lights for every switch. Even the key slot is illuminated around it so that we do not have to search for it in the dark They have also provided red lights on all doors so that if the doors are not closed properly then we can be warned as these lights will remain open. Also presence of puddle lamps on each door is a great feature. The puddle lamps are located below each door. Follow me home feature is great. Lots of pockets are also present to keep magazines etc. The door pockets are nice touch as we can keep bottles or cups in that. 2 cup holders are present behind the gear lever. But if we keep bottles in these then changing gears becomes difficult as the bottles obstruct the movement.

Drive-:

The drive is smooth. Pickup as I have aid earlier is great. Even when driving with windows open their is hardly any engine noise. Their is a slight grunt when engine is revved hard. Engine noise is much less compared to Grande which remained harsh all the time. NVH levels are extremely well controlled. No vibration what so ever. Grande has huge amount of NVH. 1st gear is little difficult to slot but rest of the gears are smooth.

My Impressions -:

Pros -:

1. Amazing power and pickup.
2. Plastic quality decent.
3. NVH levels are low compared to Grande.
3. Settled ride quality.
4. Headlights seem to be good.
5. Presence of door pockets is good to keep magazines and stuff.
6. Express down feature in all the 4 power windows.
7. Seat belt warning, Fuel low warning etc. are very helpful.

Cons-:

1. Plastic quality not up to the mark.
2. Huge turning radius.
3. Closing the doors in quite a task.
4. Slotting 1st gear is difficult.
5. Positioning of audio system. Gear lever close to head unit slot.

MODS-:

Planning to install Pioneer Head Unit and JBL speakers. Have to do research on this and choose the models. Would also install solar films. And yes would get the horns changed after few months.

Here are the pictures :

Let me be the first one to congratulate you! Wish you millions of miles with the new beast! :thumbs up

Please share more with the snaps of your beast.

Cheers!
Irish :)

Thanks Irish for the wishes.

And sorry for bad quality pics. I clicked them from my phone. Will upload better pictures soon.

Congrats Roadie. Wish you tonnes and tonnes of happy road crunching with the beast. Have you planned for any additions/modifications?

Congrats on your purchase. Trust me, there is nothing close to the Safari on many counts. I discover new things about my car everyday, some of which makes my heart skip with joy, some things make me mad. But over all, welcome to the most satisfying ownership experience.
Note to yourself, your car is missing a dummy screw cover just below the driver side door's electric window console. Get it done during your first service.
Wish you many miles of love and bullying.

Congrats on the new car. Any reason why you have put a cover over the plastic on the steering wheel? And sorry to pin point, the current steering cover is an eye sore. Safari deserves a better one. You will get leather steering grips in after market shops for around 400/- which has a lace to tie the grip on to the steering wheel which also gives a good look. You have different shades to choose from as well. I have seen a shade very similar to the seat covers you have used. You may want to change it to that - of course after removing the plastic wraps on the steering wheel. Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring! Please upload better pics when you have time.

@ recker_us Thanks for wishes. Have planned for an ICE setup and power horns.

@ Simpleman Thanks for the lovely wishes. You have sharp eyes. Thanks for pointing this out to me. Will get it done.

@ Swiftnfurious Thanks. The steering cover was put on the steering at the showroom only. Even I did not liked them but for now they are doing their job but I will do change them. Will post better pictures in a day or two.

Congrats HappyRoadie. I thought you were almost finalized on the Scorp LX. :)
Seeing a Safari LX in white is quite rare.

Wishing you a happy ownership experience.

Hi benbsb I really like Scorpio but Safari was my dream vehicle. The decision was taken from heart and not mind :) Hope you understand.

Congratulations HappyRodie. After many month of deliberation at last you bought Safari. This is car for which your love will increase everyday. I just now came back from 1600 Kms long trip in my Safari and believe me I am in love every moment.

Enjoy the vehicle and welcome to the club!

Yes. I bothered you with so many questions but you answered each one of them. Thank you for helping me. Even Verditer helped me with my questions. For questions regarding Scorpio benbsb29 helped me a lot. Thanks a lot guys for your support.

Congrats! The Safari still looks great even though it is going to get replaced. One thing, I don't see any ICE, so I assume the LX does not come with factory fitted ICE. In a way it is a blessing; that you can get to put in a quality ICE over there, rather than be stuck up with a company ICE! :) Drive safe and put in more pics asap!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyRoadie (Post 2628172)
Yes. I bothered you with so many questions but you answered each one of them. Thank you for helping me. Even Verditer helped me with my questions. For questions regarding Scorpio benbsb29 helped me a lot. Thanks a lot guys for your support.

Do not call it bothering. It is just true information sharing and I did that only. When I was looking for Safari I was asking many question to veteran owners of Safari.lol:

Congrats on the vehicle. It is indeed a dream vehicle for many. Update the thread as and when you get time on the vehicle.
As a fellow Safari owner, it is indeed a pleasure to own with peace of mind on long distances without the thought of scrapping the underbelly. :).
Just make sure to get the extended warranty. It is a must.

@ himavanth_m Yup that is true. In SUV's we do not have to worry about potholes or broken roads or speed breakers. We can just glide over these as if they are non existent. I will definitely go for extended warranty later.

@ W.A.G.7 Their is no ICE in LX variant. As said by you it is in a way better as we can put ICE of our own choice.