Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 17:10   #31
BHPian

Re: From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Optra Magnum thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
The optra magnum is one of my favorite cars and is a contendor for my next purchase. I just hope GM comes with a worthy upgrade for this one, or even a minor facelift to give us an assurance that it will not be discontinued soon.
The Cruze was the upgrade. The new cars from GM would be in the 1.6L segment. You would miss out on the 2.0L mill!! Even if GM discontinues the vehicle today, the parts would be available for the next 10 years.
Old 12th January 2012, 17:24   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
The Cruze was the upgrade. The new cars from GM would be in the 1.6L segment. You would miss out on the 2.0L mill!! Even if GM discontinues the vehicle today, the parts would be available for the next 10 years.
Keyur, I understand GM is not discontinuing this product for now. Spoke to the sales guys and hear that it would be on for atleast the next 3 years.
Old 12th January 2012, 17:27   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
Keyur, I understand GM is not discontinuing this product for now. Spoke to the sales guys and hear that it would be on for atleast the next 3 years.
That is indeed great news! Happy to hear that!
Old 13th January 2012, 14:00   #34
BHPian

Re: From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thr

Hey Chetan,

Congrats on buying this black beast. Test drove it 10 days back, and have not slept well after that. I was completely blown away. Its a true wolf in sheep's clothing. Despite being on the best of my critic side, I couldn't find a chink in its armor. Its definitely a steal at this price. Only worrying thing is its age. But above statements by fellow bhpians regarding its continuation are definitely very assuring for prospective buyers like me.
Old 13th January 2012, 14:50   #35
Team-BHP Support

Re: From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thr

Posting in this thread since your's in an LS TCDi.

Chevrolet site shows LS having 104 bhp 148 Nm torque, compared to LT having 125bhp 308 Nm torque. Any difference in engine between the two variants.

And yes, it is for diesels only (and not petrol).
Old 13th January 2012, 15:20   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Posting in this thread since your's in an LS TCDi.

Chevrolet site shows LS having 104 bhp 148 Nm torque, compared to LT having 125bhp 308 Nm torque. Any difference in engine between the two variants.

And yes, it is for diesels only (and not petrol).
I believe there is an error on the Chevy India website. The Max power for the LT reads 104PS whereas for the LS, is 125PS as per the website which is wrong.

Both the LS and LT diesel come with a max power of 125PS. The petrol optra comes with 104PS.

Chevrolet Optra Magnum Technical Specifications, Chevrolet Optra 1.6 LT Specification
Old 13th January 2012, 15:54   #37
BHPian

Welcome to LS Club, I have one for the last 4 years (almost) and I have never regretted the decision. I always have post-purchase dissonance but Optra has cured me of the same.

Wishink you many miles of comfort, fun and safety!
Old 14th January 2012, 15:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Hey Chetan,

Congrats on buying this black beast. Test drove it 10 days back, and have not slept well after that. I was completely blown away. Its a true wolf in sheep's clothing. Despite being on the best of my critic side, I couldn't find a chink in its armor. Its definitely a steal at this price. Only worrying thing is its age. But above statements by fellow bhpians regarding its continuation are definitely very assuring for prospective buyers like me.
Scorpman, when are you joining the club?
Thanks for your wishes and looking forward to another fellow Optra-man

@Crazydriver: Trust your doubt is clarified by @DeKay

@Kelwferrari: Thanks and wishing you continued bliss with your Optra too!

I just got paint protection and under-chasis rust protection done using Diamondbrite. I will share my report on the same in the next post
chetan_l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 16:01   #39
BHPian

Paint protection - Diamondbrite - Part 1
Having purchased a black car, it is inevitable that i get a suitable paint protection done. Coincidentally, I bumped into Deepak Leo, who does Diamnondbrite work in Bangalore - he seems to be quite knowledgeable about paint and its protection, and he was selling me to go in for the same. I looked thru several reports in Team-BHP and decided to go for Diamondbrite, rather than go with 3m or Teflon coating. While at it, I also decided to get an under-chasis rust protection done.

You can find details on Diamondbrite here: Jewelultra | Diamondbrite Paint and Fabric Protection For Your Vehicle

The price he quoted was Rs 3750 for the chasis protection - with lifetime warranty, and another 3750 for the paint protection with 1 year warranty that includes a free touch up after 6 months. He had a premium treatment plan that cost Rs 6,000 with a 5 year warranty. Decided I would get the 6k job along with the rust protection. You can look thru the brochure here:
dl_brochure_october_2010.pdf

I booked an appointment for the work today at a garage which had hydraulic lifts for the car. Leo has freelancers working for him and there were 3 'boys' working on my car, with Leo himself supervising and pitching in at times.
Here are a few snaps (Please pardon the quality - I had to depend on my mobile cam) from the work:

Under-chasis rust protection work:
From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thread-dsc_0090.jpgFrom upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thread-dsc_0091.jpg

After a few minutes of drying, the car was given a second coating. I was quite happy with this work.

Before-and-After comparisons:
From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thread-dsc_0098.jpgFrom upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thread-dsc_0101.jpg

Now came the paint protection:
The process started with washing the car first with water followed by claying.
Once the dust and grime was out, the team "prepared" the car paint using a preparation chemical from Diamondbrite:
From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thread-dsc_0104.jpg
From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thread-dsc_0111.jpg

The preparation time was quite exhaustive and it took up about >2 hours to prep the whole car.

The actual coating process itself was much simpler. I was expecting perhaps some elaborate process but the work carried out was very straightforward.

The team applied the "1st" coating using a sponge.
From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thread-dsc_0113.jpg

They allowed the coating to dry for a few minutes and then followed it with a second coating - again applied using a similar sponge.
From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thread-dsc_0115.jpg

Once done, all that was left to do was to wipe the chemicals in using micro-fiber cloths.
From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thread-dsc_0116.jpg

Finally, the team finished the work by polishing the plastic parts and the wheels using wheel cleaners. (The guy in white T-Shirt is Leo)From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thread-dsc_0114.jpg
Old 14th January 2012, 16:14   #40
BHPian

Paint protection - Diamondbrite - Part 2
Total time taken: 3 hrs 30 mins
Total cost: 9750
Warranty:
  • 5 years for paint protection (with check-up after 6 months). Warranty is offered against discoloration and clouding - a free retouch will be done. In case of any tinkering work, I can ask for a retouch but will have to pay labor charges
  • 5 year warranty for rust-protection (Unfortunately, Leo had promised life-time warranty earlier but the actual warranty card carries 5 years on it)
Overall impression:
  • Leo is quite knowledgeable and seems to know his job. The team paid enough attention to detail. The finish is quite good. Since this is a "protection" plan, I can vouch for the quality only in due course of time
  • One nagging question I have is whether or not they used genuine Diamondbrite products - they used all bottles from Diamnondbrite but they were not "sealed". Leo says he buys the quantity in bulk and uses it in batches...there is not reason to doubt him though

You can look at the finished work here:
From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thread-dsc_0118.jpg
From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thread-dsc_0119.jpg
From upcoming 2012 launches to a decade old model - my Chevrolet Optra Magnum thread-dsc_0122.jpg

If you are interested in contacting Leo, you can PM me
chetan_l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 22:33   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan_l View Post
Paint protection - Diamondbrite - Part 2
Total time taken: 3 hrs 30 mins
Total cost: 9750
Warranty:
  • 5 years for paint protection (with check-up after 6 months). Warranty is offered against discoloration and clouding - a free retouch will be done. In case of any tinkering work, I can ask for a retouch but will have to pay labor charges
  • 5 year warranty for rust-protection (Unfortunately, Leo had promised life-time warranty earlier but the actual warranty card carries 5 years on it)
Overall impression:
  • Leo is quite knowledgeable and seems to know his job. The team paid enough attention to detail. The finish is quite good. Since this is a "protection" plan, I can vouch for the quality only in due course of time
  • One nagging question I have is whether or not they used genuine Diamondbrite products - they used all bottles from Diamnondbrite but they were not "sealed". Leo says he buys the quantity in bulk and uses it in batches...there is not reason to doubt him though

You can look at the finished work here:
Attachment 871457
Attachment 871458
Attachment 871459

If you are interested in contacting Leo, you can PM me
You are one crazy guy Chetan.

So much for being my cousin

Good to know one more AutoNUT in my relative circle..

Wish the car gives you more smiles per miles.
Old 17th January 2012, 14:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan_l View Post
your writings simply pushed me towards buying THE Chevrolet Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDi!

I will not go into the virtues of my decision. If others are wondering how I - who started by looking purely at the yet-to-be-launched cars of 2012, ended up with a decade old model - I would simply point you to the existing threads on this forum.

Perhaps the most under-rated car of the past decade, the Optra Magnum is a hidden gem.
Congratulations on your purchase, Chetan. I have done nearly 10k kms in my Magnum and it has been a satisfying experience. There is a friend of mine who is a car enthusiast, excellent driver and someone whom most of my friends trust to give sound advice on the choice of car. I invited him on a long drive few weeks ago and after driving my Magnum for 400 odd kms he is now recommending the Optra Magnum to anyone who asks him (in price range upto 12L) and also those who do not ask him When I bought the Magnum I was the first owner among my friends and in last couple of months 2 other friends have bought Magnums.

Enjoyed reading your experience. Enjoy your ride and drive safe. Wish you lots of happy miles.
Old 17th January 2012, 15:41   #43
BHPian

@Pavan: What will others call you if you call me crazy?

@NoRules: Thanks much for your wishes...and I have to admit that you also played a role in my decision among many others whom I haven't named.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
When I bought the Magnum I was the first owner among my friends and in last couple of months 2 other friends have bought Magnums.
The more the merrier!
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:57   #44
BHPian

Congrats chetan on the Magnum! Nice writeup. Enjoy many (s)miles on the ride.

I do suggest you take it easy initially. I broke my pulsar riding it the hard way initially from day one going with the supposed experts on the net. The mileage dropped badly and never went past 37. After replacing the cylinder bore and pistons I get 45+. Remember you are on the street with daily running and not the racetrack where all that matters is winning.

Secondly the sidewall deformation from the diesel engine weight is too much on the recommended 29 psi. I'm using 33-34 all round and all though slightly hard to the discerning it's a safer bet.

And on the topic of the decade old car, it's what appeals to you that matters. The awareness of the optra among the general public is very low. May our tribe grow.

Last edited by optimist : 23rd January 2012 at 22:00.
optimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 00:45   #45
BHPian

I am eagerly waiting to join the Optra Magnum club. chetan i have sent you a message and my phone number is there . help me to get good deal.

Thanks
Denny

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks