Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 13:59   #1
BHPian

The Blue Hyundai EON Comes Home

Hyundai EON ERA

The New Addition to the family is our Blue Hyundai EON - Era.
This compliments the ANHC and the i10 AUTO that we have.
We are a joint family to 10 Members in the house and hence the need for 3 cars.

Shortlisting Process

My wife had been asking me for a car for herself to do her daily duties and do things kids school duty . Going to Station to get something / Shopping etc.

Basically you can call it as a self driven AutoRickshaw replacement.
When i started i was on a very limited budget and considered a second hand Spark or a NAno. I knew the Nano was extremely spacious but had not driven it before.

I was too scared buying a second hand car because i would not know how good or bad it is . And since we keep cars for a fairly long time i thought lets buy a new one.

In Mid of december my wife started calling all dealers asking for the prices. There were some discounts on Nano so we asked for a test drive.

The moment i took the test drive of nano i thought this is not the right car . It was noisy and most importantly there was no power steering . Thought i knew that before the test drive i was somehow hoping that being a rear engine car the steering would be light.
My wife is a new driver . I thought she wouldnt be able to manage the NON PS car. She didnt test drive it but still rejected it on account of Noise levels and weak suspention.

With Nano out of question my budgets went for a toss .
I did not want to buy an ageing model like Alto Lxi . So didnt test drive it.

Post discount prices of other cars
Chevy Spark 3.8 lacs OTR Mumbai.
Alto K10 Vki best offer 3.75 Lacs
i10 4.10 Lacs

I meanwhile tested the Eon when . What i liked about the car was that it was easy to drive , Maginificient interiors , Adequate power for the purpose.

Extremely good Ac and Braking ( Yes try it and be surprised ).

My wife was sold on the looks of the car. Being in fashion industry looks matter the most to my wife.

Being a new model in the market , i was under the impression that Hyundai is not providing any offers on the EON. And to some extent it was also correct. Dealers were hesitant to give discounts even though it was coming in news paper advertisements . Some said its only on Magna OPT pack version . HMP said discount has been withdrawn , Shreenath said that only insurance is free . I found that weird.

One thing i want to bring to attention of readers is that i found even the OTR price different for different dealers . Showroom price is same . but the amounts that dealers put against Registration and other charges makes the OTR different by 3-4 K .

Shreenath and HMP offered me the EON Era @ 3.70 Lacs OTR Mumbai.
I then called up Pramukh ( Jaibharat ) . We had purchased our I10 AUto from them a couple of years back . I spoke to the Sales guy saying that i am a repeat customer of their showroom .I asked him to verify this info in their systems by giving my purchase date and car number . I said i am interested in Eon Era and asked what is the best price / Offer that they can do for me.

They quoted me 3.46 Lacs ( Free Insurance + Loyalty discount ) . I found the price value for the product .

One thing about Pramukh people is that they dont followup too much or rather at all for the enquiries made . It looks like they want to do volumes by giving a more competitive rate than others . Its the dealer to get the best bargain and not the dealer to get the best pampering / treatment.

Since they didnt followup with me i called them again after 2 days and spoke to the sales guy . It was 16th Dec then . By this date Shreenath and HMP even refused to give me the free insurance that they had agreed upon a couple of days back . I told the sales guy Nayan Chauhan that i am visiting his showroom with cheque book to finalise on what i had discussed with him.

I didnt take a trial again from Pramukh since i had already done the same earlier . Pramukh had cars in 2 colours in era model in stock . Of the two i decided on the Blue one .

Nayan suggested that if i wanted i can pay booking amount right now and take delivery / do registration in Jan 2012. I reconfimed that even if i do that my price remains frozen to what is discussed .

Paid a booking amount of 50k
TOTAL COST = 3.46 Lacs
Freebies = Mudflaps , Floor Mats, Dikki Mats.

Paid the balance amount od 2.96 Lacs on 4th Jan 2012.

I did not want to take loan. I have a policy to not take a loan on a depreciating asset like a car and make my bank rich . THe Rate of interest on offer is not attractive enough to do the same unlike 5-6 years back when car loans were cheaper than cost of capital deployed elsewhere.

Delivery Process

I must say here that after paying the full amount by RTGS on 4th Jan i was expecting delivery quicker . It however took more time than usual . Pramukh said there was some audit work going on in ANdheri RTO or something like that . But i think it was more related to their people being extremely busy with most of deliveries happeining in 2012 jan for Dec sales . Most of their work is in South Mumbai Rto MH -01 and not Mh 02.

Its ok . I can live with delay . Age and Greying hair have made me a very patient man .

On 10th Morning my Pramukh told me that car would be ready by 3.00 PM . I reached showroom by 3.15 and didnt see the car.
Car was coming from their Yard in Panvel and only came by about 5.00 PM.
It looked like there was some timing /communication goofup at their end . There were others like me waiting for delivery who had to wait for a couple of hours to get glimpse of their car.

Luckily i had gone alone without family so they didnt have to take the pain of sitting in showroom doing nothing . Spent time there seeing the Verna and talking to other buyers .

All my papers were already ready before the car had come . They looked in order . Nayan didnt insist i sign anything till i see the car . When the car came at 5 ( many buyers cars came together ) the showroom got busy .

I told my Nayan that he can attend others while i will do the car inspection myself .

Followed the TBHP PDI checklist . Things were all in order . 62 KM on the ODO is just fine . Exterior body Ok ( Just dirty ) , Internal all ok , All electricals working , All accessories ( tyre , jack spanner , firstaid kit ) in trunk.
I was done in 15 mins . I gave them time to clean the car , Put the Number plates , Mudflaps and mats . THis took another 30 mins .
Took a picure and then left the showroom thanking Nayan.

Initial Driving experience

My first experience driving back Home ( Juhu ) from Worli was that its difficult to drive a smaller car in Mumbai , Noone is scared of you . Everyone honks at you , Rickshaw wallas are too close for your comfort . The fact that EOn Era does not have left side ORVM was also not helping . Felt like driving with one eye closed

I know some of these are not limitations of the car . But i am used to driving bigger cars . I drive as if the car is an extension of my body and know exactly where my front bumber and rear is . My hands on steering are as if they are touching and controlling the tyres.

I was not getting that feeling in the EON .

But i guess i just need to get used to the smaller size of car.

Now about the car itself.

Plus Points.

Plush Interior - Simply Awesome . Just look at the dashboard , steering , Centre console . Wow.
Plastic quality - Extremely good to touch.
Quality of steering - I will specifically mention that on the steering there is a hump at 10 O clock and 2 o clock to rest your thumb . I had this on the Hyundai Accent as well that i had owned before . THis makes is very comfortable to hold the steering . i found the eon steering to be better than the i10 Sports Auto steering that we have.
Airconditioner - Absolutely chilling.
Braking - Extremely good for an A Class CAR . This has exceeded what i expected .
Fuel Economy - I have not got to measure this however i am told it will be in ballpark of 13-14 KMPL in city condition in Mumbai.
Boot space - THough this is extremely large for such a small car , And Hyundai could have reduced boot space to give more room at rear doing that would lead to I10 owners going and buying Eon. So this has been done on purpose .
Service interval - 1 year / 10000 KMS.

Negative points

Shaking Gear lever - This is now pretty well known . THe lever shakes but quality of shifts is good enough. You can learn to live with it.
Noise level - 3 cylinder engine is noisy when compared to i10 or any other car a segment above . Insulation level is also OK in the car .So all Eon users get a music system for your ears.
Limited Rear space

Summarisation

This is a good car for the price its on offer at . You dont get something as stylish and capable at 3.5 lacs. The limitations are company fitted on purpose so that they do not canibalise on their more expensive products.
It feels like a well built product , one that will last well and age very gracefully .

Accessories that i have fitted.All Original with bill and warranty / Supplier Warranty card.

1. AUTOCOP XS central loking = RS 3,000
2. Kenwood KDC-U449 Head unit - Supports Mp3 / Wma Discs , USB Imput , Ipod and Iphone connectivity With Wireless Remote = Rs 4,600
(Head Units are cheap now , isnt it )
3. Powerbass S552 - 5.25 Inch Speakers - Installed in front door . Yes the door takes 5.25 inch speakers and not 4.0 Inch speakers. Price = Rs 2,000
4. Clip on Centre Rear view mirrow = Rs 300
5. Garware sun control film = Rs 1800 ( I think this is the 60 or 80 % heat rejection one ) . Got warranty card also for this one.

I will put some more and better pictures once i get access to my DSLR . Its currently not with me.
Attached Thumbnails
The Blue Hyundai EON Comes Home-dscn0400.jpg  

The Blue Hyundai EON Comes Home-dscn0403a.jpg  

The Blue Hyundai EON Comes Home-dscn0404.jpg  

The Blue Hyundai EON Comes Home-dscn0397.jpg  

The Blue Hyundai EON Comes Home-dscn0407.jpg  

The Blue Hyundai EON Comes Home-dscn0410.jpg  

The Blue Hyundai EON Comes Home-dscn0413.jpg  

The Blue Hyundai EON Comes Home-dscn0414.jpg  

The Blue Hyundai EON Comes Home-dscn0415.jpg  

The Blue Hyundai EON Comes Home-dscn0417.jpg  

manishkapadia is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 14:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Blue EON Comes Home

Manish,

Congratulations on the new buy. The colour looks rocking on the Eon.

Thats one tight spot you park your car. Hope reversing is not an issue.

Happy mile crunching and enjoy many more miles in your car. Drive safely.
Old 13th January 2012, 14:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the lovely car.

I have not driven this car, but when I sat in it, I was really impressed with the cabin space, boot space, interior quality and external looks of the car.

If this car was available when I purchased my i10 (3 years back), I would have purchased this car even without a TD.

I don't understand how people compare this to Alto. There is simply no comparison. It may have a 800cc engine, but thats where the similarity ends.

EON has created a segment of its own. It may not sell in huge numbers because the entry level segment is higly price sensitive. Nevertheless, it is a commendable entry level product from Hyundai.

Rohan
Old 13th January 2012, 14:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on a wonderful blue EON, i am sure it will give you trouble free service for a long time.

When we went to check the Verna, before finalizing the Civic we checked out the EON as well. Its a wonderful small city car that is so comfortable to drive especially for ladies. My wife also was sold on the looks.
Old 13th January 2012, 22:55   #5
BHPian

Congratulations..!! I bought an EON ERA myself about a month and half ago. Definitely impressed with the car. Spot on review by you.

I think even my OTR was 3.46 and the only freebies i got were floor mats and left ORVM( i'm still waiting for this because Hyundai have absolutely no spares or parts for eon yet).
Old 13th January 2012, 23:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, the blue color looks very nice! Whose choice was it? And is the HU Kenwood KDC-U346? Good choice, it is a good HU for the price.

But only one point, get a LHS rear view mirror fitted first thing.
Old 13th January 2012, 23:57   #7
BHPian

Ghodlur - Reversing is not an issue here and its not as narrow as it looks . I have parked a Civic here and keep my city also over here at times..

W.A.G 7 - Blue colour was also wife choice . Thats a kenwood KDC-U449 .

I had ordered for left side Mirror along with car order . But they dont have it in spares till now :(

I do need it badly . Will try from alternate sources also . A friend told me that a santro left side mirror could also fit . But i am not sure.

I am just not able to locate it from Hyundai Auth workshops or dealers as of now . Tried 3 of them.

If any eon owners manage to get this spare please do post. I may also buy a roof Antenna.
Old 14th January 2012, 02:13   #8
BHPian

Congrats Manish and welcome to the EON club.
The Blue color indeed looks good on this small car. I initially wanted to buy a White or Blue colored EON but then the Mushroom color looked really smart and was a unanimous choice of the family and friends.

You are quick to load the car with accesories. the original EON accesories are still not available and even i am waiting to hear about the same.

All the best and happy driving. Looking forward to hear from you about the performance of the car.
Old 14th January 2012, 07:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Eon looks good in Blue. Nice choice for a third car.
Drive safe!
Old 15th January 2012, 15:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Blue Hyundai EON Comes Home

Good one, congratulations!! Always love to read such unbiased reviews!
My santro is due to upgrade sometime in the next 12 months. EON is certainly one of the options, although wife loves i10
Old 15th January 2012, 18:06   #11
BHPian

Congrats for the EON, man. It looks so cute in blue. Hyundai providing a key fob is too cool.
What made you go for Eon when its sibling, Santro was there??
Old 15th January 2012, 18:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new Eon That interiors is going to keep your happy and proud for a long time to come for sure. And thanks for the pictures.
Old 15th January 2012, 21:22   #13
BHPian

Congrats manish on a lovely city car, it looks too good in blue.
It's got more style and quality in and out for an entry level segment.
Old 16th January 2012, 04:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post

Shreenath and HMP offered me the EON Era @ 3.70 Lacs OTR Mumbai.
I then called up Pramukh ( Jaibharat ) . We had purchased our I10 AUto from them a couple of years back . I spoke to the Sales guy saying that i am a repeat customer of their showroom .I asked him to verify this info in their systems by giving my purchase date and car number . I said i am interested in Eon Era and asked what is the best price / Offer that they can do for me.

They quoted me 3.46 Lacs ( Free Insurance + Loyalty discount ) . I found the price value for the product .
You are telling me that the difference in the OTR price was as high as 24k !?!?
Thats HUGE.

Friend in Mumbai is booking an EON Magna tmrw. Will tell him to check with Jaibharat if they're giving the best rates.
Old 16th January 2012, 10:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats for the EON, man. It looks so cute in blue. Hyundai providing a key fob is too cool.
What made you go for Eon when its sibling, Santro was there??
That Keychain is not provided by Hyundai . I purchased it seperately for about 250 odd bucks. Eon over santro reason . Looks . And besides i dont think santro i was getting south of 3.5 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmk View Post
You are telling me that the difference in the OTR price was as high as 24k !?!?
Thats HUGE.

Friend in Mumbai is booking an EON Magna tmrw. Will tell him to check with Jaibharat if they're giving the best rates.
Thats actually true . Hyndai Motor plaza was not willing to budge from 3.7 lacs. In fact they later on called for followup and i told them that i purchased it at 3.46 . I had not got delivery then . They insisted on phone that its not possible at that rate and Pramukh will not be able to deliver at that price.

There is no harm asking . Your friend can speak to Nayan Chauhan in Jaibharat ( Pramukh Worli ) and tell he is referred by Manish Kapadia ( Me ).

Its always a good idea to enquire with more than one dealer for any vehicle purchase . But for my Honda city purchase 2 years back this process always helped me get the best offer.

Ask your friend to bargain if they have 2011 stocks still ( If hes ok with them ) . Some dealers may be having top of the line Magna Opt for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks