Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 08:24   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Princess of the Czech: Skoda Laura DSG comes home

Mods note: Thread moved back to Test Drives & Initial Onwership Reports Section.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 09:50   #32
BHPian

First of all, a big congratulation Goutham.

I opened this thread accidentally but went through the main content -- your buying experience with lot of interest. Though a newbie, your style of narration was very absorbing.

Not only have you explained the nuances of an upper middle class Indian family buying a car, the whole sequence was well narrated. It was interesting to see people involved like dad, mom and you think, act and even bargain with each other -- at various junctures of the purchase.

I can imagine how did you feel to know that the car is going to be delivered when the semester exams are ongoing.

Congratulations again. Please update the thread whenever you have free time. It would be a valuable buying guide for somebody down the lane. Also, I have to thank you for the time and effort you have spend on spoiling us with those multiple detailed pics.

Last edited by B103 : 19th January 2012 at 09:52.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 10:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
First of all, a big congratulation Goutham.

I opened this thread accidentally but went through the main content -- your buying experience with lot of interest. Though a newbie, your style of narration was very absorbing.

Not only have you explained the nuances of an upper middle class Indian family buying a car, the whole sequence was well narrated. It was interesting to see people involved like dad, mom and you think, act and even bargain with each other -- at various junctures of the purchase.

I can imagine how did you feel to know that the car is going to be delivered when the semester exams are ongoing.

Congratulations again. Please update the thread whenever you have free time. It would be a valuable buying guide for somebody down the lane. Also, I have to thank you for the time and effort you have spend on spoiling us with those multiple detailed pics.
Thanks a lot. Encouraging words like yours is all I need. I am Just beginning my journey in T-BHP. Will keep this thread active with all the info one would need.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:03   #34
BHPian

Re: Princess of the Czech: Skoda Laura DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by goutham_r View Post
I guess you are right. The dry clutch comes only in the TSI superb right? I Have a doubt, In drive when you reach a traffic light or in a jam. Do you put it in Neutral or leave it in Drive? and also only recently I discovered that the selector lock does not prevent you from putting it in reverse while on the move? if thats normal why is that? and what were to happen if i had put it in reverse and given some throttle.?
I generally only shift to 'N'eutral if the wait period at a traffic light is over a minute or so and engage my handbrake. I and you shouldn't either, put the shifter into 'P'ark in traffic.

The selector lock is required to cycle through 'P' into 'R' and 'D' or vice versa, if not have it looked at. Moving from either mode into 'N' or switching from 'D' to 'S' is possible without depressing the lock.
Ayedongivadam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 11:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Goutham, congrats on the DSG Laura. Welcome to the world of awesomeness!

Trust me, this car will spoil you with all the features and the amazing engine tucked under that bay. Its a hoot to drive on any given roads.

Just a few pointers (which I am sure you are aware of):

1. Seats! Beige will start showing why its the wrong choice of color in fabric. My advice, let em get dirty and then go for leather seats. Thats what I shall be doing with my car too .
2. Rattle: Laura's USP is the rattle. Down the line you shall start hearing it. Be it the rear parcel tray, or the sunglasses compartment. Not that of a big deal, but an annoyance for sure.
3. Beige carpets. Enough said!

Enjoy the ride to the fullest.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 20:14   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats! Goutham..DSG is sure one of the best auto tranny's around

The 3D Kagu mats for laura costs around 4500-5000k, you can try Sachin's autoshop, Koramangla. I got mine however from Ultimate Detailers (Nirmal), they will deliver it at your house as well. But mine were black as I had black leather in my car.

PM me if you want any further details.
Old 19th January 2012, 20:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post

1. Seats! Beige will start showing why its the wrong choice of color in fabric. My advice, let em get dirty and then go for leather seats. Thats what I shall be doing with my car too .
2. Rattle: Laura's USP is the rattle. Down the line you shall start hearing it. Be it the rear parcel tray, or the sunglasses compartment. Not that of a big deal, but an annoyance for sure.
Absolutely. I was thinking exactly the same. Surprisingly, my fabric seats are still clean. Maybe bcos a kid hasn't stepped in yet.

I was thinking all these days about what could be that rattle and started inspecting the beading. But, totally totally missed paying attention to the parcel tray.

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Encouraging words like yours is all I need.
Way to go buddy. Wish you miles and miles of happy and safe driving. Despite all that's been said about DSG, that's the exact car I have in my mind for my old man the day I have the money. To tell you the fact, your process of TD'ing was almost the same as mine, and the Skoda was like love-at-first-sight and then SOLD! After that, all that 'ching about Skoda A.S.S. fell on deaf ears
Old 19th January 2012, 21:31   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Goutham, congrats on the DSG Laura. Welcome to the world of awesomeness!

Trust me, this car will spoil you with all the features and the amazing engine tucked under that bay. Its a hoot to drive on any given roads.

Enjoy the ride to the fullest.
Thank you. I agree to all your points. That is the plan for the seats. wait till they are completely soiled and then go in for fresh leathers. As for the rattles, None till now. The carpets just don't work in india. Searching for a set of good 3D beige rubber mats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Congrats! Goutham..DSG is sure one of the best auto tranny's around

The 3D Kagu mats for laura costs around 4500-5000k, you can try Sachin's autoshop, Koramangla. I got mine however from Ultimate Detailers (Nirmal), they will deliver it at your house as well. But mine were black as I had black leather in my car.

PM me if you want any further details.
Thanks mate. Will visit that place this weekend. Koramangala is only about 10 minutes from my place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Way to go buddy. Wish you miles and miles of happy and safe driving. Despite all that's been said about DSG, that's the exact car I have in my mind for my old man the day I have the money. To tell you the fact, your process of TD'ing was almost the same as mine, and the Skoda was like love-at-first-sight and then SOLD! After that, all that 'ching about Skoda A.S.S. fell on deaf ears
Thanks a lot. Thats very true. A.S.S. Has improved but thats something you worry about later. Skoda is sure to floor you when you're at the buying stage. Its a matter of the heart vs. the mind. And most of the times its the heart that wins.

Another 100 kms. clocked today. From Hosur to HSR layout on the NH-7 with some slow moving evening traffic.Average Fuel efficiency according to the MFD 5.8l/100km(17.24kmpl) with the AC on. Best mileage was 4.7l/100km (21.3kmpl) in the morning. This car keeps surprising you.

PS: Thanks to the Mods for Featuring this thread on the HOT Threads section.
Old 20th January 2012, 10:45   #39
BHPian

Fantastic choice and im sure you wont regret it. Ive been driving an Ambiente MT for the past two years and it runs like new everyday. Happy Motoring!
Old 20th January 2012, 10:50   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Just saw in one of the pics of the manual there is a sticker which says "SKoda recommends castrol". So I guess Skoda has started filling up castrol synthetic oil at the factory. It used to be Shell Helix Ultra before. I have topped up Helix Ultra on my TSI on two occasions till date.
Old 20th January 2012, 10:55   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Just saw in one of the pics of the manual there is a sticker which says "SKoda recommends castrol". So I guess Skoda has started filling up castrol synthetic oil at the factory. It used to be Shell Helix Ultra before. I have topped up Helix Ultra on my TSI on two occasions till date.
When my TDI went for service last time at Skoda ASC they filled Castrol SLX Professional, even the filler cap says 'Skoda recommends Castrol'. Not sure about TSI.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:08   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
When my TDI went for service last time at Skoda ASC they filled Castrol SLX Professional, even the filler cap says 'Skoda recommends Castrol'. Not sure about TSI.
Guess the recommended grade of oil for TSI and TDI is different. I was told specifically by the showroom guys to top up with Shell Helix Ultra 5W 40 if necessary. Here's a snapshot of what the Skoda website says about oil. It says "Skoda recommends Shell".
Attached Thumbnails
Princess of the Czech: Skoda Laura DSG comes home-skoda-oil.jpg  

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 20th January 2012 at 11:24. Reason: Cropped the image
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

Santosh, my manual still has the sticker saying "Skoda recommends Shell Helix". But admittedly, my car is almost 2 years old now. Even now, when my car went for its second servicing, they topped it up with Shell Helix.

I suppose, Skoda has shifted to Castrol in the recent past.

Goutham, good on you. You seem to be enjoying the car to the fullest. 100 kms in a day! Way to go buddy
Old 20th January 2012, 14:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackyboy View Post
Fantastic choice and im sure you wont regret it. Ive been driving an Ambiente MT for the past two years and it runs like new everyday. Happy Motoring!
thank you. Thats the USP of german cars. they are built like tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I guess the oil grade is different for the tsi and tdi. The manual itself is very confusing. Its a generic one thats issued throughout the world so there is no model specific or atleast country specific information.

Quote:
Goutham, good on you. You seem to be enjoying the car to the fullest. 100 kms in a day! Way to go buddy
Yes, i just need a reason to get behind the wheel. Planning on going on a small roadtrip this weekend. I'll post back with FE figures and some nice pictures.

Last edited by .anshuman : 20th January 2012 at 15:12. Reason: Quote marks fixed. Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 14:54   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess the oil grade is different for the tsi and tdi. The manual itself is very confusing. Its a generic one thats issued throughout the world so there is no model specific or atleast country specific information.
The manual is pretty specific about engine oil actually. It should carry a chart for various engine options available for the Laura worldwide. It lists out the VW approved oil for the engine type. You have to ensure that the oil you are using, complies with this VW rating (which is generally printed on the oil can). The sticker basically tells you which brand of oil Skoda is currently preferring.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 20th January 2012 at 14:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks