Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 23:16   #16
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Grey Hell Hound - Honda Civic SMT '11 - 5000 kms Ownership Report

Congratulations. Enjoyed the lovely pictures of the hell hound. Even after six years, it is still a looker. One of the best cars to own and drive. Hope that you continue to enjoy such a rare product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
2. The headlights are weak,
3. The fog lights don't light up the road in front, it feels as if they are not there at all. They weren't of much use this foggy season.
Quite true. Frontal lights are a weak area for Civic. Keep us informed about your improvement plans, would be interested to know.

Quote:
12. This is a big one. The car gulps the fuel like a dog when its on neutral with the engine, AC and ICE on. The average just keeps dropping.
Fellow BHPian Susrutha found out the FE values using OBD tool, I think it was over a liter an hour during such a scenario.
Old 7th February 2012, 23:54   #17
BHPian

@mjumrani,
Congratulations on your New Ride in wonderful shade.
Regarding the drop in the fuel efficiency, it goes something like 0.1kmpl for every minute or so of idling with a/c on.
I observed this once on the City, while waiting at the petrol pump for checking air and had the MID showing the kmpl figures. By the time I moved out it had dropped by about 0.5kmpl. I was just waiting with the engine and A/C on listening to music.
I read some one had mentioned it in the forum that it is Normal.

Cheers
MKP
Old 8th February 2012, 01:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Congratulations. Enjoyed the lovely pictures of the hell hound. Even after six years, it is still a looker. One of the best cars to own and drive. Hope that you continue to enjoy such a rare product.

Quite true. Frontal lights are a weak area for Civic. Keep us informed about your improvement plans, would be interested to know.

Fellow BHPian Susrutha found out the FE values using OBD tool, I think it was over a liter an hour during such a scenario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
@mjumrani,
Congratulations on your New Ride in wonderful shade.
Regarding the drop in the fuel efficiency, it goes something like 0.1kmpl for every minute or so of idling with a/c on.
I observed this once on the City, while waiting at the petrol pump for checking air and had the MID showing the kmpl figures. By the time I moved out it had dropped by about 0.5kmpl. I was just waiting with the engine and A/C on listening to music.

Cheers
MKP
Thank you

@dot I shall keep you informed. You can also go here and see what discussion is going on about the improvement.
Coincidentally I am taking advice from Sushrutha for the upgrade.

@mkpiyengar It might be normal for civic, but according to me it sure as hell not a normal behavior in general.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Here was my finding when I had used Scangauge on my Civic.

Idle - 0.74 LPH (Liters per hour)
Idle with AC - 1.07 LPH with AC set to 23d
I'm yet to test the figures when coasting in gear @ same speed(with & W/o AC)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2502536
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 11:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

For the headlights, I would suggest you to change the low beam bulbs to Philips Xtreme Power. It has the same wattage, but throws much better light. I have them and quite happy with it.
Old 8th February 2012, 13:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Here was my finding when I had used Scangauge on my Civic.

Idle - 0.74 LPH (Liters per hour)
Idle with AC - 1.07 LPH with AC set to 23d
I'm yet to test the figures when coasting in gear @ same speed(with & W/o AC)
In that case I think it would be best to switch off the engine when idling at signals and petrol pumps, especially for Petrol Cars.

Cheers
MKPI
Old 8th February 2012, 15:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In that case I think it would be best to switch off the engine when idling at signals and petrol pumps, especially for Petrol Cars.
Yes. I always make sure to switch off the engine in signals or anywhere if I have to idle/wait for more than 45-60 secs.

The below link says, it's better to switch off the engine, if you are being stopped for more than 7 seconds.
"Avoid drive-through purchases. If you can't, turn off your engine if you're going to be stopped for more than 7 seconds. This alone will save you more than 10 percent of your fuel if you use drive-throughs frequently. "
How to Hypermile Responsibly | eHow.com

Last edited by sushrutha : 8th February 2012 at 15:21.
Old 8th February 2012, 16:09   #23
BHPian

Congrats on your civic. So like a true petrol head you have splurged heavily to get this car. I wish that she serves you and your family well for a long time to come.

The review was precise and honest. If you don't like the Caska why don't you replace it with some decent 2-DIN touchscreen player from reputable brands. Also i believe you must be travelling from delhi to gurgaon daily right??
Old 9th February 2012, 00:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
For the headlights, I would suggest you to change the low beam bulbs to Philips Xtreme Power. It has the same wattage, but throws much better light. I have them and quite happy with it.
I need a lot of width (to cover 3 or 4 lanes) and a longer throw. Would changing to these help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
Congrats on your civic. So like a true petrol head you have splurged heavily to get this car. I wish that she serves you and your family well for a long time to come.

The review was precise and honest. If you don't like the Caska why don't you replace it with some decent 2-DIN touchscreen player from reputable brands. Also i believe you must be travelling from delhi to gurgaon daily right??
Thanks mate.
I travel from South Delhi to Greater Noida on weekdays. (90kms round trip)

As far as ICE is concerned, the whole setup change is going to set me back 80k if not more (HU + rear comps + new amp + sub + monoblock), where if I get the rear components I will have to get the sub and monoblock as well because of the lack of bass, a lot more important than changing HU (until I reach my limit).
Add to this the leather seats (Nappa) and Bi-Xenons, the future expenditure looks more like 2L just for the car, let alone the other non-auto related buying prospects.
Thus I am being very critical of every upgrade I do.

Bi-xenons have priority right now over everything else.

EDIT: There is also the issue of low end torque, due to which I might get the ECU remapped (as there is nothing else I can do without voiding warranty).
Will do this through Kiirus most probably, but will ask around as and when the time comes.

Last edited by mjumrani : 9th February 2012 at 00:14.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: There is also the issue of low end torque, due to which I might get the ECU remapped (as there is nothing else I can do without voiding warranty).
Will do this through Kiirus most probably, but will ask around as and when the time comes.
Civic does suffer from Low end torque, not just civic, most of the Honda cars (OHC) does suffer from the same issue.
When you get a ECU remap done, it's better to have a Intake & Exhaust upgrades (Good/modified Airfilter + less resistive exhaust (FFE)).
I'm getting K&N stock replacement filter this weekend, some say that it might very very mariginally solve the low end torque issue. But fingers crossed.
I'm not a fan of loud exhausts, so I have to restrain myself from using either the Headers / Free Flow exhaust / Muffler(end can).
Old 9th February 2012, 11:57   #26
BHPian

Wow that is one exhaustive list of the upgrades! Good luck with this!

May i suggest that while upgrading the ICE you can actually avoid installing rear component speakers. Even a decent 4" coaxial will do provided that you have excellent quality 6.5" components in front. Rear speakers are mostly used to fill the background soundstage. I have retained the 4" coaxials in my vRS and have upgraded everything else. I'm pretty happy with the overall effect. The overall soundstage should always be front oriented.

Also for the low end torque you can upgrade in stages. First of all you can start with the performance filter upgrade and see if you like the improvement. Next you can go for the headers and the FFE. You can tune the setup to achieve the gains in low to mid range. If you are still not satisfied with the improvement then you can think about the remap. Be advised though that if you don't get the FFE and headers configured properly then it might even further elevate the low end torque issue.

You might want to look at the following link for some inspirations

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...o-charged.html

Most Viewed