Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:06   #46
BHPian

Re: Went to buy a Nano, booked it, cancelled it and bought a Tata Aria

Finally back in Bombay.

And am pleased to report Aria working fine. The one month 'aram' given to the Aria doesn't seem to have been detrimental in any way.

And it does feel lowly after driving all those super cars ;-)

Cheers
Old 22nd March 2012, 15:11   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Finally back in Bombay.

And am pleased to report Aria working fine. The one month 'aram' given to the Aria doesn't seem to have been detrimental in any way.

And it does feel lowly after driving all those super cars ;-)

Cheers

sahakar buddy, i am surprised to learn about your Aria.

The last time we spoke, we were both hunting around for a City. And you wanted to wait for some more discounts and I went ahead. Time does fly.

But I thought you were hunting for Petrol one, how did the change of heart happen? Was it the discounts that lured you in?

Anyway heartiest congratulations for you Aria. Hope she serves you well without any troubles.
Old 2nd April 2012, 03:05   #48
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
sahakar buddy, i am surprised to learn about your Aria.

The last time we spoke, we were both hunting around for a City. And you wanted to wait for some more discounts and I went ahead. Time does fly.

But I thought you were hunting for Petrol one, how did the change of heart happen? Was it the discounts that lured you in?

Anyway heartiest congratulations for you Aria. Hope she serves you well without any troubles.
Seriously, Aria was never on my mind till the discounts came on. It was nothing but just the discounts that got me the Aria at the price of a Vento diesel and I went for it.

But I now realize what a boon in disguise. If I had bought a petrol car, the pretty packet of money I am saving now on diesel would never have happened. Till date I must have saved around 10k Rs and still I have a long trip pending.

Cheers

Quick update - Did the first oil change at 2k Kms. Wanted to do it at 1K but just didnt get the time to get around it.

Put in 7.5 litres of Mobil Delvac MX.

And the change in drivability was instant. The Aria's much more smoother now. Till date the Aria was sluggish on the 2nd gear but now not the case. Acceleration has become much more effortless and linear now.

Total cost with an oil filter 2900 Rs. Money well spent definitely.

Cheers

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2012 at 08:47. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 2nd April 2012, 09:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Quick update - Did the first oil change at 2k Kms. Wanted to do it at 1K but just didnt get the time to get around it.

Put in 7.5 litres of Mobil Delvac MX.

And the change in drivability was instant. The Aria's much more smoother now. Till date the Aria was sluggish on the 2nd gear but now not the case. Acceleration has become much more effortless and linear now.

Total cost with an oil filter 2900 Rs. Money well spent definitely.

Cheers
Did the price change a lot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Another oil change.

Mobil Delvac MX 8 lit cost me 1890Rs. Oil filter 171 Rs or so, charge for changing it was 160 something.

Got the job done at Focus Motors.
Old 6th April 2012, 04:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Did the price change a lot?
Oil cost me 300*8 = 2400 + 200 for oil filter + 300 labor

Maybe the price of oil has increased since you last did it

Cheers
Old 17th April 2012, 20:29   #51
BHPian

Again out of India, so my Aria just chilling out in the parking.

All going fine as of now.

Get back this weekend and the driving begins again.

Cheers
Old 8th May 2012, 12:13   #52
BHPian

Came to know a new feature in the Aria yesterday. Its gives a Washer Fluid Low warning. Quite nifty for a Tata :-)

Also crossed 3K kms. Should have crossed 5K by now but almost 2 months in the UK did not serve my case.

6 Month service due next month. Will be taking the Aria to Mahabaleshwar and maybe Goa too before the service. Lets see how it does.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 17:05   #53
BHPian

First out of city drive in the Aria completed. Did a Mahabaleshwar and back drive and added 600kms to the odometer.

The best part, just needed a tankful of 1800 bucks of diesel for the whole journey thanks to the generous subsidies provided by our lame government.

Could have done much better on fuel savings but was stuck for almost a couple of hours at Lonavala in a massive traffic jam while on the way to Mahabaleshwar. Also, on the way back witnessed the 30 car pile up which was reported in the newspapers on Sunday. Man most of the bus/truck/taxi drivers are so total morons. God save India.

Got around 12.5km/lt while going thanks to the traffic and on the way back got a respectable 18km/lt so overall averaged at 15km/lt. I think if I drive more sedately and avoid jams can easily manage 20km/lt on the return leg.

The drive was fantastic but of course not as fun as when I take my S10. Couldn't throw the Aria around as my S10. :-) But the Aria behaved fantastically though a little bit bouncy on uneven tarmac. On smooth roads it was a joy. Was regularly averaging at around 100+km/hr and really didn't feel that fast inside. My family enjoyed the vast space and for once nobody was car sick.

Almost on the 5K kms milestone and would be going for the second service next week.

Next update after the service. Hoping all goes well there.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 18:18   #54
BHPian

Ok finished the second service. Had a few small issues sorted out -

1. Felt idling vibration was a bit more
2. Water not coming out of a couple of jet nozzles
3. One internal cup holder push push lock was jammed
4. The internal roof cushion at the back had come out of the rubber
5. The plastic cladding below the seat belt just next to the driver's door had come out

Got all the above sorted out.

But true to form TASS added one more bug. While the fixed the plastic cladding on the side of the driver's door, the speaker there now is making funny noises.

So, will have to do one trip to fix that up.

Other than that, the Aria is going fine fettle. Crossed 5K kms.
After the service, seems much more smoother especially in the lower gears. Am now touching almost 16 to 17km/lt in my daily 60km drive. Its improved from 15kmpl before the service.

With the first taste of the monsoons in Mumbai this week, it has been just awesome with the Aria.

Those of you aware of Aarey colony in Mumbai, in last week's rain multiple parts of the road there were like ponds. Thoroughly enjoyed driving the Aria through the water. So much fun and no worry of the water going anywhere in the car or exhaust pipes.

I had a question for the Aria or Safari owners. Just wanted to understand do they drive in the green band of the rev meter. I hardly reach the green band and am most of the time below it, unless I am above or around 100km/hr. Whats the significance of the green band and is it ok to stay below it? I hope anybody among you can answer.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 16:11   #55
BHPian

Quick update. Nothing really new to update.

Aria doing amazingly fine. Touch wood no issues at all yet. Almost near the 7K mark now.
Have been driving more aggressively now so mileage back to between 14kmpl to 15kmpl.

Love the fact that spending only 1500 bucks every 10 odd days to tank up.

Cheers
Old 21st August 2012, 22:37   #56
BHPian

Sahakar,

The mileage is in city or in the highway. I have never got above 10kmpl in Bangalore city.
Old 5th November 2012, 18:06   #57
BHPian

Hello Sahakar.
I have few questions since I am also in market to shop an Aria
1. The Pure variant got ABS with EBD? And how is the braking ?
2. Did you change the steel rims to alloys?
3. Can we fit central armrests for the first row?
4. What are the freebies you got?
5. I got an offer of discount 2.1L for an 8 months old Aria with dealer, Shall I consider that?

Thanks for your time.
Old 5th November 2012, 18:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

Excellent report from a happy customer. Even, I experienced Aria for 3 days when I got it from Tata Motors for just to drive for 3 days. Its characteristics is very different than Tata Safari, which I am driving presently. It has been stable on road and 3 digit speed is reached effortlessly.

You asked some question, that you are driving band below green. This means your gear selection is not proper. You have to select gear properly to be in green band. I think Aria has overdrive gear, which you need to slot on only at 100Kmph. Please check the small sticker along side driver gate, which clearly says about gear selection according to speed.

Till then Enjoy your Aria.
Old 5th November 2012, 22:46   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
Hello Sahakar.
I have few questions since I am also in market to shop an Aria
1. The Pure variant got ABS with EBD? And how is the braking ?
2. Did you change the steel rims to alloys?
3. Can we fit central armrests for the first row?
4. What are the freebies you got?
5. I got an offer of discount 2.1L for an 8 months old Aria with dealer, Shall I consider that?

Thanks for your time.
If i am reply to this [sorry for hijacking]:

1. I have a pure and have used the brakes at considerable speeds [100kmph+ ] and have found it quite adequate to slow down/ stop the 2+ ton monster
2. I am still using the steel rims and have not found any problems though the alloys definitely look great for a wheel of that size
3.Not tried or enquired about that
4. Nothing much except a discounted rear camera [got an external one fit for pure and is just amazing to see the rear coverage it provides]
5. I think this is was part of the Aria challenge and my guess is that it has been used by a team-bhpian. I guess you can go for it but ensure that the warranty holds good.
Old 6th November 2012, 13:04   #60
BHPian

Thanks svdath. I am thinking about going ahead with the new one. From which dealer you bought the Aria and the color ?

Most Viewed