Old 6th November 2012, 14:02   #61
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Went to buy a Nano, booked it, cancelled it and bought a Tata Aria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
Hello Sahakar.
I have few questions since I am also in market to shop an Aria
1. The Pure variant got ABS with EBD? And how is the braking ?
2. Did you change the steel rims to alloys?
3. Can we fit central armrests for the first row?
4. What are the freebies you got?
5. I got an offer of discount 2.1L for an 8 months old Aria with dealer, Shall I consider that?

Thanks for your time.
My take - sorry about the hijack

1) Braking will be adequate
2) Yes change to alloys is possible but voids warranty on suspension if they are not the approved TATA Alloys. The OEM alloys for the Aria are 17" while the steel rims are 16" so new set of tyres too will be required. It will be an expensive upgrade.
3) Had fitted them on the Safari seperately - not the OEM ones. Cost about 4K for the pair then. The OEM one is better and adjusts to different levels. Should be possible to fit it but the part may or may not be available separately and may cost a bit more. Logically it should be available as a separate part for someone who breaks his so as to nor require change of the entire seat for that.
4) Aim for max flat discount and try to get them to throw in the mud guards, mats and if the varient misses fog lamps then those. Rest of the stuff is worthless.
5) Yes good discount. I guess I answered this one on another thread as well.

Get the wipers changed to the aftermarket honda city sized flat type ones if you do go ahead with the purchase.
Old 6th November 2012, 14:29   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks svdath. I am thinking about going ahead with the new one. From which dealer you bought the Aria and the color ?
I bought mine from URS kars, Mysore but in case you are booking in Bangalore, do the booking preferably in Prerana motors Lalbagh showroom. I have always felt that the branch showrooms have incompetent people managing the bookings.

I bought the Arctic Silver.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:51   #63
BHPian

All the dealers in Bangalore saying the Production of Pure variant is stopped and Tata wants all the dealers to clear their stock first.. The stock they have is of Feb and March and they assured me that it is brand new with huge discount amount. Again in confusion now.
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:13   #64
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Back to my thread after a long time.

Just an update - Had got a update / recall call from TASS. Around 4 odd parts to be replaced for all Arias. Since mine was from the newer generation, only had the some clutch related stuff replaced. Do not know whether its a placebo effect, but the truck cruises much smoother now.

Next month would complete a year with the Aria and its been a good experience till now. TASS has its issues but thankfully haven't affected me much yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdath View Post
Sahakar,

The mileage is in city or in the highway. I have never got above 10kmpl in Bangalore city.
Its city + highway (30% + 70%). I am always in 3rd gear or above except for signals. Maybe thats the reason for higher mileage.

Also, I hypermile !!!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdath View Post

Sorry Chopper, had been away from TEAM-BHP for some time so could not answer. Thanks to ACM and svdath for filling you in. Just as they have said, braking is more than adequate on the Pure. The TASS for some weird logic would not fit the glove boxes on the Pure at their workshop as an additional accessory. So if needed have to do it outside. Haven't changed to Alloys. Will do it maybe after warranty is over. If was almost 80K to change at TASS. You are getting a good price. As long as its in good condition 6 month old should be fine. Just do your PDI checks properly.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Excellent report from a happy customer. Even, I experienced Aria for 3 days when I got it from Tata Motors for just to drive for 3 days. Its characteristics is very different than Tata Safari, which I am driving presently. It has been stable on road and 3 digit speed is reached effortlessly.

You asked some question, that you are driving band below green. This means your gear selection is not proper. You have to select gear properly to be in green band. I think Aria has overdrive gear, which you need to slot on only at 100Kmph. Please check the small sticker along side driver gate, which clearly says about gear selection according to speed.

Till then Enjoy your Aria.
So from what I understood from your post, I should always be in the green band?

Although even though I am below the green band most of the time, I get a very smooth drive and also great mileage. So a bit confused whether it would be ok to stay below the green band or not?

And as per Tata hand book, you can go to fifth gear even if you are at 50km/hr. At that speed, the engine revs at around 1000rpm and its way below the green band which is between 2000rpm to 3000rpm.

Any further pointers by one and all appreciated?

Cheers

Quote:
All the dealers in Bangalore saying the Production of Pure variant is stopped and Tata wants all the dealers to clear their stock first.. The stock they have is of Feb and March and they assured me that it is brand new with huge discount amount. Again in confusion now.
As long as odo is below 100km a 6 odd month car at the dealer should be ok. Just as before do your checks properly at the yard.

As for me when I got the Aria last year, I think I got with it the usual stuff like mats, sunfilm, seat covers & pillows, car cover, teflon. My entire deal was for around 11.25lakhs ex Bombay. If you are getting a similar kinda deal, then its a steal as even after increased taxes, price increases and of course inflation you would still be getting a good price.

Cheers

Last edited by GTO : 23rd November 2012 at 19:37. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:13   #65
BHPian

Thanks for the reply sahakar, I got my castle grey Aria Pure yesterday and hope to have good time with it.
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:19   #66

Congrats Chopper.

I myself was looking at the Aria Pure(with the discounts) and then decided to wait with all the news about "relaunching of the Aria".

Where did you get it from and what was the OTR price ?

regards,
vijay
Old 23rd November 2012, 14:29   #67
BHPian

Thanks vkbs. I bought it from KHT whitefield. Please talk to Mr. Ram Prasad (Branch Manager), he would be able to give you good discount. Mine was around 13L.
Old 23rd November 2012, 22:24   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply sahakar, I got my castle grey Aria Pure yesterday and hope to have good time with it.
Congrats Chooper. Waiting for the pics and the initial review
Old 23rd November 2012, 22:58   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Chopper. I am sure you will have a great time driving the truck around. Castle Grey seems a new color. Didn't have that option when I bought.

Do setup an ownership thread pronto with loads of pics.

Cheers
Old 10th January 2013, 17:52   #70
BHPian

So an year with the Aria over. Finally also crossed 10k kms with it.

3rd 1 year service done. Cost around 9k or so.

Did a nice trip to Goa and back. Aria was well behaved through out the journey. Especially the 10+ km sucky stretch of missing roads after the right turn from Kolhapur. I do not envisage how small cars were crossing it. Even Bombay potholes are better.

The best part was the overall average of 18+ kms/ltr. Pretty much saved one EMI if I had taken an Innova taxi.

Just one rant. The squarish cover on the back bumper covering the towing thingie fell off sometime during the bad roads I think. Will be going to the A.S.S. next week to get it replaced. Wish TATA had thought of some other way to cover the towing thingie.

So in summary if you get a trouble free Aria experience, its totally worth the money. I just hope that I get Toyota longevity with this one. Really want to depreciate this all the way to zero.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 18:18   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post

The best part was the overall average of 18+ kms/ltr. Pretty much saved one EMI if I had taken an Innova taxi.
Hey Sahakar, How you able to make it to 18 ? Any Tips ? For me its just around 10 in city and 12 on Highways. Mine is completed 2000 Kms now.

-Sudheer
Old 10th January 2013, 18:38   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sahakar, How you able to make it to 18 ? Any Tips ? For me its just around 10 in city and 12 on Highways. Mine is completed 2000 Kms now.

-Sudheer
I drive defensively and partly hyper mile.

Here are some things I do -

- Basically I drive the Aria as if the car doesnt have any brakes at all. Although I had to use them quite a bit due to stupid drivers around me in this trip. But if you can follow that, that will save oodles of fuel for you.

- I try and keep atleast a 2/3 car distance in front of me and if I see cars slowing down just get off the accelerator rather than using the brakes. Most of the times I slow down enough to not use the brakes at all.

- I move on to the 4th or 5th gear by the time I reach 50kmph. Also, I dont rev much. All gear shifts are with minimum pre acceleration.

- I fill 34psi in the tyres

- I always keep on looking at the live mileage on the dashboard and try and keep above 15kmpl. So if I see I am going below 10kmpl, I just give up the accelerator

- In city runs, I try to keep at 3rd gear and while approaching signals rather than accelerate I just coast to the signal if the signal is red. More often that not when I reach the signal it turns green and I just continue in 3rd gear rather than starting back from the 1st gear. This I think is the biggest saver of fuel for me in city driving. I laugh at all other cars who gun their way to the signal only to wait there while I slowly coast and actually move ahead of them while they start from their 1st gears.

With all this, I get around 15kmpl in my daily city/highway office run. Pure highway I try to get around 20kmpl but overall comes down to 18kmpl.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 19:01   #73
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs Sahakar. I can learn from it. Got a long drive to Kerala tomorrow and will try to apply some rules there.
-Sudheer
Old 25th January 2013, 20:54   #74
BHPian

Small update from Munich. Ya that's where I am right now in BMWs backyard.

So before I moved out of the country, I had taken the Aria to the service centre to get the towing cover replacement. Just so that whole trek to the service centre was just not for the cover, I thought let me get the wheel alignment done while I was there. Even though the company says to do it at 15k, I thought its 10k lets just do it.

So left the truck in the morning and came back in the evening. I was mentally ready to pay around 500 bucks for the cover and a 1000 odd for the wheel alignment.

And guess what wonders of wonders the bill came to - measly 30 bucks for the cover and no charges at all for the wheel alignment and balancing.

I must say a real positive outing at the service centre. Thumbs up to TATA A.S.S. in this definitely.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 11:53   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
And guess what wonders of wonders the bill came to - measly 30 bucks for the cover and no charges at all for the wheel alignment and balancing.
Great going sahakar, I think this is the first A*S*S to not charge for wheel alignment.

Nice to see you are getting more bang for the buck with most under rated car. As long as it stays reliable I'm sure you're going to enjoy riding it.

Good luck!!!

Most Viewed