Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 07:10   #46
BHPian

Re: Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL

This is nice! Would love to listen to the sound when we meet again!

Could you tell us the tech specs of the speakers? Couldn't get that in the earlier posts!
Old 4th May 2012, 08:29   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
This is nice! Would love to listen to the sound when we meet again!

Could you tell us the tech specs of the speakers? Couldn't get that in the earlier posts!
Sure, Anytime. I have fixed similar way you did, just to avoid bad workmanship when we try in A-Piller.

Here is the specs

Component System

Diameter : 6.5 "
Max Power : 120 W
Nominal Power : 60 W
Sensitivity : 92db
Frequency Response : 60Hz - 20 KHz
Impedeance : 4 ohms

Whats in the pack

2 x woofer
2 x tweeters
2 x gaskets
2 x crossovers
fixing screws
2 x grills
2 x lock washers

Coaxial System

Diameter : 6.5"
Max Power : 120 W
Nominal Power : 60 W
Sensitivity : 92db
Frequency response : 60Hz - 20Khz
Impedance : 4 ohms

Whats in the pack

2 x Coaxial Speakers
fixing screws

For price details, please refer my earlier post.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 13:09   #48
BHPian

Very nicely done on the speaker upgrade. I myself had been thinking of an upgrade after I did a few road trips and found the SQ of the stock speakers atrocious. However had been too lazy to research until now. Based on your analysis it seems you are pretty happy with SQ now and I found that the website that sells these speakers also ship to India albeit the shipping charges are pretty high.
One question though, did you consider putting an amp in this upgrade? Wouldn't the addition of an amp make the SQ even better with the new speakers in place?
Old 4th May 2012, 13:53   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
I have fixed similar way you did, just to avoid bad workmanship when we try in A-Piller.
I had the same concern! It's safer putting it on the door. Bad workmanship can scar the clean interiors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
One question though, did you consider putting an amp in this upgrade? Wouldn't the addition of an amp make the SQ even better with the new speakers in place?
IMO, an amp would isolate & amplify but not improve the sound quality. So it would be better to add an amp only when you replace the average featured stock HU. An amp would go well with a system which at least has a basic graphic equalizer and other tuning options.
Old 4th May 2012, 17:28   #50
Senior - BHPian

@Topspeeder - Excellent choice of speakers. My original choice of components and co-axials are focal, but since they were a tad expensive for my budget, settled for Morel's. Are you still running with the same OE HU? If so, you are not utilizing these speakers anywhere near their potential, infact not even 20%. Now that you have taken the plunge, ditch the OE HU and get a nice 2 DIN unit from either pioneer or JVC. Later on, you can add an amplifier and sub-woofer of your choice, which will make your set-up complete.

And your tweeter placement is ideal, they need to be mounted on the ORVM cowl facing the direction of the farthest front seat. The tweeter on the driver side should fire towards the co-passenger seat and vice-versa.

@Samarjitdhar - You get focal speakers with bill and warranty for almost the same price here in India. So, if you are interested, no need to ship it from US, you can directly buy from here.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 18:30   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
@Samarjitdhar - You get focal speakers with bill and warranty for almost the same price here in India. So, if you are interested, no need to ship it from US, you can directly buy from here.
Thanks much Bala. I did see an India specific website for Focal but was not able to locate the car audio products there. What was the price quoted for the Focal component and coaxials when you had made your inquiries if you do not mind sharing? I would like to get a general idea about the price range I should be looking at.

EDIT Finally located the dedicated site for car audio. Should have been smarter with my searches

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 4th May 2012 at 18:32.
Old 4th May 2012, 19:02   #52
BHPian

Quote:
@Topspeeder - Excellent choice of speakers. My original choice of components and co-axials are focal, but since they were a tad expensive for my budget, settled for Morel's. Are you still running with the same OE HU? If so, you are not utilizing these speakers anywhere near their potential, infact not even 20%. Now that you have taken the plunge, ditch the OE HU and get a nice 2 DIN unit from either pioneer or JVC. Later on, you can add an amplifier and sub-woofer of your choice, which will make your set-up complete.

And your tweeter placement is ideal, they need to be mounted on the ORVM cowl facing the direction of the farthest front seat. The tweeter on the driver side should fire towards the co-passenger seat and vice-versa.

Thanks Bala

I have Pioneer AVH 4490 BT in my radar, due to my budget (Costing around 25k in Blr) I trying control my temptation. I'm not sure how long.

If I have to put angel mount the tweeter looks bulky that was one of the reason, I will recheck this.

Could you let me know where do we get this here?, If possible let me know the price range also.

Quote:
Thanks samarjitdhar, Not planning for Amp in near future. Next upgrade is HU.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 4th May 2012 at 19:04.
Old 5th May 2012, 22:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

When I enquired, the components were quoted at around 15k, but was told they were worth the money. I was more interested in Focal solid 4,
4-channel amplifier, that was pretty tempting at 16k and had excellent reviews. However due to budget constraints I settled for Auditor , which are again from the same focal family, but economical one's.

They are distributed in India by some company named premier? cant remember exactly now. I can look up my warranty card if you need the distributor details.

But then again, there is no hard and fast rule that you should be looking at Focal's only, depending on your budget you can look at other options too, so please decide your budget first and then shop around for the best one's that you can afford.

Quote:
What was the price quoted for the Focal component and coaxials when you had made your inquiries if you do not mind sharing? I would like to get a general idea about the price range I should be looking at.
Why not try to source this from US? will work out to be a little cheap compared to what you are getting for in India. This is a very good HU, and I'd even go to the extent of saying give in to your temptation, it is really worth it.

Quote:

I have Pioneer AVH 4490 BT in my radar, due to my budget (Costing around 25k in Blr)
Old 5th May 2012, 22:45   #54
BHPian

Quote:
When I enquired, the components were quoted at around 15k, but was told they were worth the money. I was more interested in Focal solid 4,
4-channel amplifier, that was pretty tempting at 16k and had excellent reviews.

But then again, there is no hard and fast rule that you should be looking at Focal's only, depending on your budget you can look at other options too, so please decide your budget first and then shop around for the best one's that you can afford.
Thanks Bala. I have planned a visit to the car accessories shop to check out the options. According to them they have Focals in stock. I also checked this web site Focal India | Focal Car Audio | Focal Speakers | Focal Amps | Focal and they have the 165 A1 listed at about 10K MRP. I hope I should be able to get them for even lesser. While I am yet to have a comparative listening session of the different options the feedback from you guys is extremely helpful. Guess will have to do similar research before I zeroed in on the Klipsch speakers for my home theater.

Do the car accessory guys exchange the stock speakers by taking some amount of the price off the new speakers? Obviously would like to replace all the speakers if I go for an upgrade.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 13:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

Dont remind me about this!!!

The only thing he offered me was 2k for the stock HU (pre-refresh) and he wasnt even willing to take the speakers even if given for free. I finally decided to retain everything, thinking that the old HU can go in if I decide to sell the car in the future and retain my ICE components.

Alas, Now, I'm selling off the car "Fully Loaded" even with the stock HU, the junk speakers, hydraulic jack, etc, etc...

Quote:

Do the car accessory guys exchange the stock speakers by taking some amount of the price off the new speakers? Obviously would like to replace all the speakers if I go for an upgrade.
Old 6th May 2012, 19:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Dont remind me about this!!!

The only thing he offered me was 2k for the stock HU (pre-refresh) and he wasnt even willing to take the speakers even if given for free. I finally decided to retain everything, thinking that the old HU can go in if I decide to sell the car in the future and retain my ICE components.

Alas, Now, I'm selling off the car "Fully Loaded" even with the stock HU, the junk speakers, hydraulic jack, etc, etc...
Oh Lord. Yeah I know the feeling. I do hope you at least broke even with the investment and all the accessories . Anyway if your friend had to buy the car at market price I am sure he would have had to spend a lot more. Without going any more on this, wish you all the very best. I am sure you are as excited about making your next choice of a car in the US if you have already not made it. Will be keenly following your updates. Most cars in the US are automatics which tends to take the fun out of driving IMO. Nothing like stickshifts.
Old 7th May 2012, 13:05   #57
BHPian

Quote:
As bala mentioned no one will be interested to take it.
Also what I noticed is, it's not easy/possible to fit in in other cars. It does't look standard design, very much customized to Vento.

Quote:
Why not try to source this from US? will work out to be a little cheap compared to what you are getting for in India. This is a very good HU, and I'd even go to the extent of saying give in to your temptation, it is really worth it.
I agree it will be 5k less in US for AVH 4400.

Since this is new model I don't want to take any risk in HU in warranty.

One of my colleague who got this system for his rapid, it worked perfectly fine for him initially. Later when he installed rear view camera the system went down. What I heard from is, his installer gave different polarity to system when joining the tail lamp wire.

He waited for two weeks and today he got replacement system

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 7th May 2012 at 13:06.
Old 8th May 2012, 11:38   #58
Senior - BHPian

Not really, call me an idiot, the deal for my vento was closed for 9.5 lakhs. I could have probably got 50k more if I had sold it in the market, but since he was so very interested in it, I let it go. OTR in chennai as on date for the TDI HL is around 12.5 lakhs.

As far as the car hunt in US is concerned, I have shortlisted a few, and for now it is mazda6. You know how dynamic our decisions are, so nothing is for certain till I buy one. Cant afford the germans atleast for the first one year of my stay there. Moving on 28th of this month.

Quote:
I do hope you at least broke even with the investment and all the accessories . I am sure you are as excited about making your next choice of a car in the US if you have already not made it.
I had the AVH P3200BT which was the earlier model of 4400 and I had bought it down from US. I had it for around 3 years in my swift and the HU worked like a charm. This isnt a completely new unit from pioneer and hence you can safely put your money down. Ofcourse as you mentioned, the installer needs to know what he is doing, else we'd be in trouble.

Quote:

Since this is new model I don't want to take any risk in HU in warranty.
Old 8th May 2012, 16:56   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
That's the TDI engine for you. If you notice on the forum, the initial months give very good FEs - probably one of the reasons being people driving more sedately (run-in, new car, etc); but overall it is being noticed the mileage goes down a bit once the kms ramp up.

But what is more important is how one drives the car. Bumper to bumper traffic with mostly lower gears give very poor FE (I keep getting around 13-15 in such a scenario), while a spirited drive on the highways still fetches me 17+ (it is apparently even better for a few other Vento owners). Pretty sure if I keep it in the 80-110 kmph range on long drives, I should be able to get 18-20kmph effortlessly.

I'm sure @topspeeder would be able to collaborate on most of my observations.
I think post first service the mileage takes a hit, I am getting 2 or so kms less per litre.
I get around 12-13 for a bumper to bumper scenario. When I drive between 80-100 on the highway , I have got 20+ !!
Spirited drive gets me around 16. I hate to compare, but my Vento behaves like my first gen TVS Victor, slam it hard and the mileage takes a bad hit.
Old 8th May 2012, 21:45   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Not really, call me an idiot, the deal for my vento was closed for 9.5 lakhs. I could have probably got 50k more if I had sold it in the market, but since he was so very interested in it, I let it go. OTR in chennai as on date for the TDI HL is around 12.5 lakhs.

As far as the car hunt in US is concerned, I have shortlisted a few, and for now it is mazda6. You know how dynamic our decisions are, so nothing is for certain till I buy one. Cant afford the germans atleast for the first one year of my stay there. Moving on 28th of this month.
Oh that's bad but since it will be in good hands you can take some solace. What more if you are getting the new Mazda 6 and that too if the V6 edition, it will more than make up for it . What more the new one is quite a looker too. Totally sorry for hijacking topspeeder's thread here. We should stop now and will wait for your Mazda ownership thread. Awesome

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks