Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:46   #76
BHPian

Re: Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Did you buy the rear view camera separately? What price? How hard is it to install?

I'd love to test your new system, when we meet again. I too am saving up for a Pioneer system!
As I mentioned in the post, I have bought them separately it's worldtech brand costing Rs 1,300. It comes with bit for making hole for camera in bumper, which makes the installation very easy. I should say it's perfect fit, camera also very small.

We need to run a wire which connected to backup light to make the HU switch to camera view automatically when backup.

Sure you could test my HU, we could plan the meet after two weeks.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 3rd June 2012 at 10:58.
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:58   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
As I mentioned in the post, I have bought them separately it's worldtech brand costing Rs 1,300. It comes with bit for making hole for camera in bumper, which makes the installation very easy. I should say it's perfect fit, camera also very small.

We need to run a wire which connected to rear gear light to makes the HU switch to camera view automatically when back up.

Sure you could test my HU, we could plan the meet after two weeks.
Thanks for that. I had seen it but forgot to check back! Good to know the installation is easy!
Old 15th June 2012, 11:39   #78
BHPian

Yesterday I have parked the car on the road, engaged the hand brake, locked the car and went for shopping.

After I crossed the road I noticed the car started going backwards.

I ran and unlocked the car, entered in while car was moving and reengaged the brake. Fortunately nothing had happened to car and people walking in rear. The reason was the hand brake was not fully engaged in my first pull and car was parked in slope.

Usually I put opposite gear, yesterday I forgot to put.

I wish this also should be an electronic one .

Just posting to make people aware of hand brake alone may not help some times.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 15th June 2012 at 11:41.
Old 15th June 2012, 13:08   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I ran and unlocked the car, entered in while car was moving and reengaged the brake. Fortunately nothing had happened to car and people walking in rear. The reason was the hand brake was not fully engaged in my first pull and car was parked in slope.
If you are on a flat surface, slight pulling up of hand brake does the job. But wheres if its slope than the handbrake need to be pulled completely up. Goes about 2 more clicks from the slight pulling up level.

Whenever I'm at a signal, and there is slight slope I engage handbrake rather than keeping brake engaged. Many a times it happens I need to pull up the handbrake more otherwise the car goes backwards even though handbrake is engaged. No causalities so far.
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:25   #80
BHPian

Update on projector headlights:

I have checked with spyder (US). Looks like they don't have one for Vento. Pasting the reply from them

"Hi,

Unfortunately we do not. The Vento is a sedan version of the European Mk6
polo which, conversely, is a 2 Door that resembles that of the US
Rabbit/GTI. However, since your Vento is a sedan, it somehow uses the polo
headlights from a 2 door with a bumper from a Jetta. Which is a 4 door. Put
simply, the connectors and the mounting locations are completely different
as they are based off the US version not the European. Sorry for the
inconvenience!

Spyder Auto
Tech Support"

I'm looking for the one with two projector not sure it will fit, but similar to 5 Series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
If you are on a flat surface, slight pulling up of hand brake does the job. But wheres if its slope than the handbrake need to be pulled completely up. Goes about 2 more clicks from the slight pulling up level.
Since this happened first time, I got worried. Thanks, I will make sure pulling it properly.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 22nd June 2012 at 11:27.
Old 24th August 2012, 13:00   #81
BHPian

Long time, no updates in this thread.

Following are the small upgrades/changes in my car

1). Short Antenna (Rs 695, ebay.in)
2). VW Tyre Value Caps(Rs 345, ebay.in)
3). Changed OE wiper blades to Hella DynaEdge
Sizes : 24" and 16"
Cost : Rs 1,014 (Relaiance AutoZone, HSR, Blr)
4). Tubeless Puncture Kit (Rs 249, ebay.in)
5). COIDO Tyre Pressure Gauge(Rs 340, ebay.in)
6). Hydralic Jack 2 Ton (Rs 1,350, SP Road, Blr) - For wheel cleaning and easy wheel change

I will post pics on this
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 15:08   #82
BHPian

I have done detailing 3 times earlier, this is my fourth time. I'm happy to say this was the best time. Since I have used several new good products used this time.

I have sourced most of the products from US when my friends or relatives visit here.

Now I have crossed 40k in 1 year 8 months. The car got swirls from my initial period car cleaner and the recently done wax polish also gone.

My car detailing jobs carried in my village, Because of space and water. In my place in Bangalore, the maximum car care I do is just washing the car.

So I decided to do this in Diwali holidays.

But there was a bottleneck, My right tail lamp got broken when biker hits the parked car.

I wanted to fix them first before starting the detailing.

Detailing Goal : Remove swirls and bringing back the gloss.

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-uncleaned.jpg
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-uncleaned_bonnet.jpg
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-swirls.jpg

Day : 1

I started cleaning the 5:00 Pm.

Step 1: Car Washing

Products Used : Amway Car Wash, Meguairs Wash Mitt, Meguairs Water Magnet, Meguairs All Wheel Cleaner, Mothers Wheel Brush, Bottle Cleaner, Sponge,
Hydraulic Jack, California Car Duster.

Duration : 3 Hrs

Started with dusting the car with California Car Duster. The next process was washing the car with amway shampoo and mitt in two bucket method.

I have used mother wheel brush for cleaning the alloy. Each wheel I jack up and rotate to clean it properly. The fender also cleaned using mothers wheel brush.

The megs water magnet helped in removing the water.

Result : The car is dirt free now,

Step 2: Claying

Products Used : Meguairs Clay Bar, Meguirs Quick Detailer, Meguirs Supreme Shine™ Microfiber

Duration : 1 Hrs

This is first time I'm using megs clay bar, earlier I have used mothers kit.
Mother was sticky, where as megs goes smooth. There were two bars in the kit, I cut the one bar two halfs and used one.

The clay bar was in white color, I didn't see many contaminant picked.

Result : After the process the car did feel slick and smooth.

Day : 2

I started around 7:00 Am.

Cleaned the car with duster, wiped the car with Megs Supreme Shine with medium pressure.
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-after_masking.jpg
Step 3: Masking

I have used ABRO masking tape, later found it's not good. It leaves the glue when taking out the mask.

Also I feel this step is not needed if you decide to clean the rubber trim later,

Step 4: Swirls Removal

Products Used : Meguairs Ultimate Compound, Carrand Terry Pads, Meguirs Supreme Shine™ Microfiber

Applied the UC in overlapping fashion in small area. Cleaned it with Megs MF Towel. Completed the same process for full car.

Result : Amazing results. The car is now swrils free, more color depth in paint. Excellent Product.

Step 5: Waxing

Products Used : Klasse AIO, Cobra Microfiber Detailing Cloth, Cobra Deluxe Microfiber Applicator

Dampen the applicator with water, added AIO and applied in portion in the car overlapping circle. Cleaned with cobra MF cloth.

Result : I didn't expect any magic since it's combo product. Slight gloss than earlier.
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-after_aio.jpg
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-after_aio_2.jpg
Step 6: Drying

Duration : 2 hrs

No work, Just leave the car not doing anything

Step 7: Trim care

Products used : Chemical Guys UnderCarriage Spray and Detailer, Meguiar's Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray, Mothers Mag Polish, Sonax MF Cloth

Duration : 30 mins

Sprayed the chemical guys UnderCarriage Spray fender looks like new now. I have used same for cleaning the mud flop, it's all back to new now.

Earlier I have tried Mothers Back to Black and VLR Rubber and Plastic cleaner, but chemical guys gives excellent results.

Step 8: Sealant

Duration : 1 Hr

Products Used : Klasse High Gloss Sealant, Cobra Microfiber Detailing Cloth, Foam applicator

This product is more liquid like water, similar to waxing I have dampen the foam applicator. I used the applicator for applying small portion. It becomes tough to remove it.

Later I have shorten the time to wiping the residue.

Results : Excellent Results, High Gloss. Superb product.

I'm sorry if the pics not doing the justification. Final pics are taken in morning 06:20 Am in low light.

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-final_1.jpg
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-final_2.jpg
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-final_4.jpg
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-final_3.jpg

Overall the car looks new now.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 18th November 2012 at 15:33.
TopSpeeder is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 16:05   #83
BHPian

@ Topspeeder

Many thanks for your detailed post. My friend and myself are planning for a detailing session soon and this will help us a lot. Currently we are in the process of sourcing the products. Will pick some from your list as well.
Old 18th November 2012, 17:02   #84
Senior - BHPian

Terrific is the word to say. Beautiful shine & gloss, has that watery/wet effect to it. Thanks for sharing the details in such detail.

Quote:
I have done detailing 3 times earlier, this is my fourth time. I'm happy to say this was the best time. Since I have used several new good products used this time.
Old 19th November 2012, 14:36   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
@ Topspeeder

Many thanks for your detailed post. My friend and myself are planning for a detailing session soon and this will help us a lot. Currently we are in the process of sourcing the products. Will pick some from your list as well.
Thanks Xtreme, Please let me know if any details required on the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Terrific is the word to say. Beautiful shine & gloss, has that watery/wet effect to it. Thanks for sharing the details in such detail.
Thanks blackfire, I have started my learnings here. So I owe to share my experience
Old 19th November 2012, 15:44   #86
BHPian

Lovely work there TopSpeeder. The Vento is oozing its Shadow blue glory fully. Thanks for the detailed process.

Swirl marks are a big pain even for my car. I have started using collinite 845. As of now very satisfied with the gloss and shine but somehow need to see and test the durability more.

In your car how long this finish lasts? My car cleaner uses a damp microfiber cloth daily to clean the car and I think this results is less durability of waxes.
Old 19th November 2012, 17:27   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Lovely work there TopSpeeder. The Vento is oozing its Shadow blue glory fully. Thanks for the detailed process.

Swirl marks are a big pain even for my car. I have started using collinite 845. As of now very satisfied with the gloss and shine but somehow need to see and test the durability more.
Thanks Rachit.

Yes, Swirls are more visible in dark color cars. Earlier I have tried with Megs SwirlX, But I was not getting expected results.

But this time with Megs UC, you definitely see them disappearing also gives more color depth. Such an excellent product. This can be can done in hand applicator and no DA required.

I guess wax hides swirls marks and not removing them. Which will appear again after some washes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
In your car how long this finish lasts? My car cleaner uses a damp microfiber cloth daily to clean the car and I think this results is less durability of waxes.
I don't give my car to car cleaners, I clean the car myself with duster and ONR. The wax I used had really short span of life say 2 months. The Klasse combo I'm trying first time, Will update on this after few months.
Old 5th December 2012, 15:03   #88
BHPian

Waiting for my shipment of new accessory? Guess what's that?
Old 5th December 2012, 15:21   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Waiting for my shipment of new accessory? Guess what's that?
Please tell me it's the Euro style headlamp or the GTD grill
Old 6th December 2012, 10:24   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
Please tell me it's the Euro style headlamp or the GTD grill
Yes, You guessed it right. It's the HID projector head lights. Waiting for the shipment for the last 10 days. It has to come via USPS. Will post the details soon I receive the package.

Most Viewed