Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:19   #91
BHPian

An amazing review G.T.O!! well compiled and better than any review found in any mag. Hats off!!
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:22   #92
BANNED

re: Review: The 2nd-gen Maruti Dzire

Thanks for that super review, GTO ! You have the Indian mentality spot on -- anything from Maruti sells in this country ! I viewed the old Dzire as a pregnant duck, this one's better off though ! Why don't T-Bhp guys acknowledge TATA for coming up with the super idea of a shortened-boot-sedan concept ? I own an Indigo eCS myself, and trust me, have not felt the "lack" of boot space .. as available in the older Indigo.

What's also missed out in most Dzire reviews is the glaring panel gaps in the boot of the older one - this one seems a tad better. Compare that with the Indigo CS, the paint job .... but... who applies logic so much anyway ?
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:42   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Beige Carpets - Try doing a test in Mumbai or Kerala in the rains.
Be prepared for the inclusion of new paid/free accessories from Maruti:

1. Plastic lamination of carpets.
2. Floor Carpet covers (in addition to seat covers)
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:45   #94
BHPian

Amazing review GTO and well timed!

I quite like the new design of Dzire. It looks sharper and the boot integration is better than old Dzire. I have always been a fan of Swift’s Kizashi inspired interiors but I don’t like beige at all. All black of Swift is much better. I think even Ertiga gets the same interiors – as far as I remember seeing the Auto Expo pictures. Also I am a little worried about the beige carpets – I am sure the owner will get frustrated cleaning the carpets every now and then. Also I think many people were earlier going for the Swift will think about the new Dzire too.

I also agree with GTO’s point of MSIL focussing on top and bottom line this year. They have carefully launched their products, played safe with the cars and priced them competitively. The new Dzire makes some breathing space for Sx4 which I think will also be refreshed with Swift interiors and a better engine. If they do that Maruti can share same interiors parts in 4 models – Swift, Dzire, Ertiga and Sx4. Even the Ertiga seems like a nice product. So MSIL will have updated products in the most important segments. Even the A-star got a refresh this year. All these models are surely going to increase MSIL’s revenue and market share – MSIL Management’s top priority this year.

So what waiting periods should we expect for Dzire: 7-8 months like Swift?
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:24   #95
Senior - BHPian

Had they released a ZDi/VDi AT, would have booked it for sure ...

Another opportunity missed by MSIL. Perhaps later?
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:01   #96
BHPian

That is hardly a boot - Suzuki should have considered a Notchback design, which would have made the boot more practical and the rear visibility better too.
The notback design would have made folding rear seat option possible and practical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wafer-thin boot lid feels like it's made out of tin foil!

Old 3rd February 2012, 12:09   #97

GTO, Can you pls confirm the colour of car used for Test Drive?
Is it Glistening grey
OR
Silky Silver
I am not able to comprehened very clearly, may be my laptop resolution is not perfect.
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:14   #98
Senior - BHPian

After going thru 7 pages of this thread I can gauge the interest that a sedan from Maruti evokes. My observations are
+ves
Front fender has a nice design with curves in the right places
Alloys look cool esp having spare as an alloy is surprising.
Beige seats and door trims and dash.
MID
Rear location of antenna and a stubby shape
Wide glove box with stowage space on top. Cup holder = cool drinks
Handbrake looks elegant
USB

now the -ves
Beige carpets and keeping them clean
Front grill was better in the old dzire
cladding in wheel archs missing
SMALL boot but at a saving in landed cost
Outside air temp missing
Indicators on ORVMs, cool element but the cost of replacement of these protruding appendages has just gone up.

Other things I noticed
Air intake, battery and coolant has been rearranged in the diesel version, in the old one the intake was at the front of the car between the hood and the grill.
Auto lock of doors was a feature present in the old dzire too
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:47   #99
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm glad all of you found the review helpful. Thank you for the 5 star thread rating as well. As unbiased & detailed as the review is, please remember that Team-BHP always recommends you to drive the car yourself prior to booking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
If they will be manufacturing the old dzire simultaneously, why would bookings be transferred automatically?
Simply because the old Dzire will now be available only to the fleet / taxi segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
What I am surprised is that this is not a notch-back like the Laura.
So true! A notchback body style would have been far more practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Isn't it 1.5L for the Diesel?
Thank you for the correction. This has been changed in the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Old Dzire is still a wonderful car & i am sure it would have sold more with modifications like new interiors & ride quality. Also no idea why they stopped making old V & Z variants.
The next-generation car is safer, more refined and has several other improvements. Plus, not introducing new versions (and keeping your product lineup fresh) can damage the brand equity. Why do you think Honda & Toyota always sell the latest versions of their cars in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
the spare alloy wheel is a welome change , a first in this class I assume , none of teh other manufacturers provide a spare alloy wheel , am I right ?
Even the previous-generation Dzire had an alloy spare-wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
This post with new features list: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2665713, says the braking is improved (in the second pic, Point No:1 under 'Safety').
Braking has improved, yes. But only for the ZXi / ZDi. Just like in the Swift, the L & V variants have weaker brakes. Bad decision. Braking is NOT an area where costs should be cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Well just looking at where the Original Dzire was priced not too long ago at around 4.8 lakh; I get the feeling that Old -Dzire's pricing was increased so as to get the feel of price reduction to the end customer.
I believe the 2012 Dzire is priced lower than the old Dzire, at the old price.

Quote:
Looking at that Laptop Bag and Camera bag in Boot's Picture, this Boot looks even smaller than my UVA, Atleast in UVA I can fill the items till roof whereas in Dzire its restricted by Boot Lid
Absolutely. Many hatchbacks have larger, more accommodating boots. Such a small boot defeats the purpose of buying a sedan over a hatchback.

Quote:
I am clear, just like Indigo-CS this definitely is not a sedan. Probably we can start calling these cars as SedWags (Sedan-Wagons).
Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
GTO how would you compare the AT of the Dzire against the i10 Automatic .
As mentioned in the review, they are very similar in terms of grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkp View Post
The AT is it DSG or the conventional Torque converter?
Conventional torque converter type.

Quote:
Did u get a chance to drive the AT?
Did you get a chance to read this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
1. Temperature gauge - where is this ? Digital display in instrument cluster ?
The engine temperature gauge is right there on the main instrument console. The Dzire also gets an external temp indicator in the MID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
Does it still use non synthetic oil for the MJD?
Considering how serious Maruti is about cost of ownership, yes, it does use non-synthetic oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
is the new dzire more roomy than the fiesta classic? The comparison at the beginning says that the fiesta classic is the smallest of sedans. Atleast in comparison to the swift, the classic doesn't feel cramped . It should be slighlty more roomy if anything.
There's little to chose from in terms of space. However, the Dzire's soft rear couch & reclined back seat makes it the more comfortable. By a mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Does the AT has hill hold ?
Nope.

Quote:
Whats the FE for AT ? Cant find it anywhere.
ARAI is 17.4 kpl. We'll have to wait for real-world efficiency figures from BHPian owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
So does the new Dzire really have 150 new features or is it just a marketing gimmick?
The "150 new features" line is laughable. Want to see the list? Click here

Any new generation car will have 150 such new features. Or even more!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
A split seat would have made perfect sense
So true. A horrible oversight on Maruti's part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Why don't T-Bhp guys acknowledge TATA for coming up with the super idea of a shortened-boot-sedan concept ?
We do! My review clearly mentioned that the Indigo CS was India's / the world's first sub-4 meter sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyushjain View Post
GTO, Can you pls confirm the colour of car used for Test Drive?
Is it Glistening grey
OR
Silky Silver
I believe this is glistening grey. When I picked the car up, I was a li'l disappointed as my first choice was the blue. Anshuman, on the other hand, was very happy with the colour. I must admit, the grey has made for some stunning pictures.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd February 2012 at 14:52.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:51   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
That is hardly a boot - Suzuki should have considered a Notchback design, which would have made the boot more practical and the rear visibility better too.
The notback design would have made folding rear seat option possible and practical.
@Dheepak
+1 to that. The other thing which worries me is whether the boot edge touched the rear glass. In case of any play in the hinges any hard opening of the boot will it crash into the rear glass?
Also is the opening of the boot as shown in GTO pic the maximum?
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:57   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The "150 new features" line is laughable. Want to see the list? Click here

Any new generation car will have 150 such new features. Or even more!!

ROFL. This is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard of!

New colors in paint is a new feature? Why, they could add the 151st new feature-the new Dzire itself
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:52   #102
Senior - BHPian

Just came back after checking out the new dzire. Surprisingly I found the interiors at a whole new level when compared to the prev-gen dzire. Everything except the power windows panel has a quality feel to it however beige colour has been used excessively and the display car had already started turning brown/grey in certain places.

The wooden trims give a rich feel too, interiors overall are quite impressive considering this is an entry-level sedan from Maruti.

People skeptic over the boot space might be in for a surprise, at least people at the showroom were. I could overhear "not bad", "not that bad", "still manageable" kind of responses from all people who were opening the boot and they looked quite surprised at the space available. The long chrome strip on the boot looks good actually.

Everybody could be heard saying that the boot space isn't so less as it looks from the outside so I thought I should share this.

Another thing that I concluded, Dzire fans really don't care what Maruti does to the car as long as its called Dzire. I forgot to tell you, I went to checkout the Dzire because one of my colleagues is planning to book it soon and he doesn't care what good/bad has happened to the Dzire. As per him there's nothing better out there than a Maruti's entry level sedan, there just can't be.

All the people checking out the dzire there couldn't care less about the beige colour after long-term use, the thin boot lid or whatever it is that people here don't like. They were just happy that their favourite car is better now. I mean it was like even if Maruti had decided to downgrade the car and present a facelift to the crowd with a higher price tag, they'd only be happier.

Waiting period for Ldi/Vdi/Zdi at Pasco Automobiles, Gurgaon, is 10-14 weeks. They say that White or Silver colour can surely be delivered under 10 weeks but for rest of the colours the waiting period is on the higher side.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:53   #103
BHPian

Simply great review! This is my first post, so kindly point out my mistakes if any.
I was never a fan of old Dzire in first place, but now the boot feels more 'out of place'.
I am also skeptical about old bookings being transferred to new ones. One doesn't get a proper boot for which he had hoped.
Also on a different track-
Would the new Dzire cannibalize New Swift? or Vice-Versa?
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:14   #104
Senior - BHPian

A great, comprehensive and one of your best written review this time GTO. You have surpassed expectations. Keep it up.

Pity other biggies like Toyota don't keep their thinking caps on when designing interiors for their budget cars like Suzuki.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:37   #105
BHPian

Excellent review once again by GTO and team

There was a lot of scope for maruti's engineers to look at. IMO the shortened boot gives one flexibility in integrating the design by simply adopting a notchback design theme. Having said that, it looks like they haven't experimented, rather chosen more safer, less taxing option in this upgrade. Even though Dzire is still an ugly duckling to me, I liked the front view with the new bumper design and back when viewed dead straight. Also liked the new grey colour.

An ergonomic failure. The shin area of my leg kept hitting against the plastic panel on top of the clutch pedal. It actually got painful after a couple of kms:

If you are used to driving with an upright seating position, then you would have this issue. Ive experienced this in my car too, however upon pushing my seat back and getting the right seat recline angle adjustment this can be rectified.

Most Viewed