Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2012, 09:01   #121

re: Review: The 2nd-gen Maruti Dzire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Take that cornered boot-lid off the car and it will look like a premium hatchback with plenty of bootspace.(tried to blacken it with MS-Paint).

Anyone modding?
Whoa dude! I was thinking on the same lines. I came up with these. Sorry for the awful cut paste job.
Review: The 2nd-gen Maruti Dzire-dzireestateside-view.jpg
Name:  dzireestaterearqrtr.png
Views: 30014
Size:  524.4 KB

It would have been much better if Maruti manufactured an Estate version of the Swift instead of the ugly looking Dzire Sedan. They could have positioned this between the New Swift and the old gen Dzire.
sreepy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 12:41   #122
GTO
Team-BHP Support

To all those who saw the Dzire and found the boot to be "sufficient", let me say this : You only realise the restrictions once you live with it.

God knows how many times my family has cursed the Civic's limited boot space, and we've had to either take a second car (or avoid the Civic altogether) for an airport / outstation trip. The women dread the thought of "packing light".

Irrespective of whether you find it sufficient or not, there isn't a doubt that the direct competition offers far more cargo room. Just check out the Manza, Etios or even the Indigo CS. BTW, as mentioned in my review, the Indigo CS' packaging is something else. It offers more interior & boot space (lousy quality & reliability aside).
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 14:41   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To all those who saw the Dzire and found the boot to be "sufficient", let me say this : You only realise the restrictions once you live with it.

God knows how many times my family has cursed the Civic's limited boot space, and we've had to either take a second car (or avoid the Civic altogether) for an airport / outstation trip. The women dread the thought of "packing light".

Irrespective of whether you find it sufficient or not, there isn't a doubt that the direct competition offers far more cargo room. Just check out the Manza, Etios or even the Indigo CS. BTW, as mentioned in my review, the Indigo CS' packaging is something else. It offers more interior & boot space (lousy quality & reliability aside).
I agree, relative to competition, the Dzire boot is really a compromise especially comparing it to Etios, sunny and Manza. However, the pricing and the interior quality are definitely better than the above 3. So it is all about what's most important for a customer. If the need is for a lot of boot space, then this is not the car for you, but then if it is a customer looking for great features, good looking interiors, fantastic mileage and peace of mind, this is a strong contender.
Old 5th February 2012, 15:28   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
However, the pricing and the interior quality are definitely better than the above 3.
if it is a customer looking for great features, good looking interiors, fantastic mileage and peace of mind, this is a strong contender.
agreed 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
If the need is for a lot of boot space, then this is not the car for you
the new DZire interior feel is so good that the boot issue could even get overlooked

The beige carpet is the only impractical change in arguably the best quaility+price package
Old 5th February 2012, 20:10   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
If they will be manufacturing the old dzire simultaneously, why would bookings be transferred automatically?
I have also observed this on my Ritz. Especially the larger panels bend with slight pressure. My good old Esteem is better off. And I've also observed this on the bumpers. They are just too thin on the Ritz!

Besides the paper thin sheets I have observed that even the plastic parts tend to deform/break off more in Maruti than in ANY other car. A Swift braked a little too late and rear ended my Vista. The front bumper clips broke and the thing was hanging on one side. My Vista had a small scuff mark on the bumper. Another instance a Getz tapped a Maruti Swift and there was this nice big conCAVE on the rear Bumper and the Getz - nothing! Repairs are not cheap either. Swift Bumpers cost nothing less than 7k.

Last edited by noopster : 6th February 2012 at 12:21. Reason: Quote tags fixed. Please take the trouble to preview post before submitting
Old 5th February 2012, 21:04   #126
BHPian

Its kind of sad and funny that maruti is at its best at underdoing (boot) for Dzire and same (3rd row) for ertiga. Why do they have to gift us "big compromises" throughout their product line for the masses ? Sooner or later (after purchase) your satisfaction quotient falls down due to these glaring misses. Sadly it will still sell due to low cost of spares and service. almost 50% of aam-junta (Maruti's sales) are therefore never exposed to the benchmarks in car's practicality and usability, myself included and these manufacturers will never over commit for the betterment of the "driving" indian.
Old 5th February 2012, 21:13   #127
BHPian

I went to do a TD of the new DZire today and took the liberty of measuring the boot dimensions and have attached a photo with the same. For my purposes, it looks like I can put two big suitcases, my camera bag and a backpack in the boot.The bag with food/drink for the journey will need to be in the cabin.

Explanation of the various dimensions:

A - Width of the boot between the suspension intrusions (100 cm.)
B - Width of the boot at the widest point (132 cm.)
C - Width between the two hinges, which protrude into the boot when it is closed (88cm.)
D - Depth of the boot at the bottom (70 cm., reduces to 66 cm. at the lip of the boot)
E - Maximum height of the boot (52 cm.)
F - Height to the bottom of the hinges when closed (40 cm.)
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The 2nd-gen Maruti Dzire-dzireboot.jpg  

anoop.mathew is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 10:57   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post
Explanation of the various dimensions:

A - Width of the boot between the suspension intrusions (100 cm.)
B - Width of the boot at the widest point (132 cm.)
C - Width between the two hinges, which protrude into the boot when it is closed (88cm.)
D - Depth of the boot at the bottom (70 cm., reduces to 66 cm. at the lip of the boot)
E - Maximum height of the boot (52 cm.)
F - Height to the bottom of the hinges when closed (40 cm.)
Thats the most comprehensive of boot measurements that I've ever seen.
This gives the perfect idea of the boot.

One question...How did you get measurements C and F?
Did you get inside and measure after closing the boot?

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 6th February 2012 at 10:58.
Old 6th February 2012, 11:23   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
One question...How did you get measurements C and F?
Did you get inside and measure after closing the boot?
Measurement C can be done with the boot open as this width doesn't change when the boot is closed.

For F, I closed the boot almost completely and estimated the point to which the hinges extend down and then measured the height to the point. It is approximate, but conservative.

I was not brave enough to lock myself in the boot. Smile:
Old 6th February 2012, 12:06   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
From practical standpoint, Jazz beats new DZire hollow. Alas, it doesn't have either a diesel mill or economy variants. In the meantime, this DZire may even create a new market segment through Maruti's brand power. The likes of Etios/Manza must be keenly observing the developments.
Forget diesel mill/ economy variants - Honda is NOT taking Jazz bookings anymore. Been the case since last two months. They even refunded existing bookings for some customers. Went to Honda showroom last weekend and the dealer informed that Jazz bookings will open only by March end (hopefully!).
Old 6th February 2012, 14:32   #131
BHPian

I had booked a Dzire Glistening Grey ZDI day before yesterday and I got a call from the dealer that I am no.4 on the priority list. Does this mean the old Dzire waiting list is not carried forward to the new dzire?
Old 6th February 2012, 14:49   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
I had booked a Dzire Glistening Grey ZDI day before yesterday and I got a call from the dealer that I am no.4 on the priority list. Does this mean the old Dzire waiting list is not carried forward to the new dzire?
My guess is that since Glistening Grey is a new colour, there won't be any old bookings for this colour to transfer to the new version. Probably only 3 people have booked this colour at your dealer/region before you.

If the above is right, then it might make sense for people booking new DZires to choose one of the new colours - Pacific Blue or Glistening Grey.

Am I onto something or is this over-analysis / wishful thinking?
anoop.mathew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 14:52   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All a matter of individual perception!

800, Swift, Alto, WagonR, Vista, i10, Santro, Beat - All these I believe have boot space varying from less than 170L to 225L. Right? Yet, half of India lives with these cars - most of them even use these cars as single cars in the family. A 'sedan' with a 316L boot is an upgrade for them.

Personally speaking- I have used an 800, and a WagonR as the only car in the family (With a box at the back using half the boot space) and now booked a Swift. For someone like me, used to such a lifesytle - a 316L boot is indeed an upgrade.

For someone used to bigger cars - a 316L boot is a downgrade. Judging by the number of hatchback owners in India looking forward to upgrading their cars - I dont think boot space will be a huge limitation to limit the numbers for the new DZire.

I do agree that DZire boot space is limited compared to competition - my argument only being against the 'hard to live with it' part.
Old 6th February 2012, 15:01   #134
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th February 2012 at 20:31.
cruiser_1982 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th February 2012, 15:14   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
My argument only being against the 'hard to live with it' part.
How do you account for the 'hard to live with it part' for those who have booked the old Maruti Swift Dzire sans LXi/VDi ages back?

Would at least some not feel bad when they get the all new Dzire with relatively smaller boot when contrasted to the one they checked in person at the showroom ages back?

And yes, I do agree that they get a better car(when compared to the previous generation) and with your perspective, though not completely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks