Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2012, 16:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver

Congratulations Phx. 8.3L for a 118PS motor ,with all the safety features is a steal.
I have seen a white Honda Ciity CE here in a pune, boy it looked really good. the black and white combo was very appealing, I wonder how long the black parts will remain black.

Silver also look good, silver is the easiest color to maintian. Wise decision.

Last edited by F150 : 5th February 2012 at 16:57.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 17:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations PHX on getting the new Honda City.

The car looks majestic in silver color, lovely. Don't worry about the mileage, it will improve after 1000 KMs, engine is new and friction is more between moving parts - that's the reason for less mileage.

Please do keep the thread updated with regular service updates and photos.

Wishing you happy and safe mile crunching.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 18:44   #18
PhX
BHPian

Thank you to everyone who posted congratulatory messages. Would have liked to quote you all, but that would have made the post too big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I need to ask you one question - The chrome grill is standard right ? Or is it an aftermarket accessory ? I thought the CE came with a black one.
That's what I thought too, initially, but no, the chrome grill is standard on all City variants. And to be honest, though I initially thought it was too much bling, I think it looks really good on the silver City, especially because of the silver/black dual tone of the new bumper.

Quote:
Also I assume both driver and passenger get airbags.
Yes sir, all City variants have all the same safety features. Front driver and passenger airbags, ABS, etc.

Also, I have noticed that my car auto-locks and unlocks upon inserting and turning the key (or vice versa). I had not noticed this during any of my TDs, so I think this is very possibly a feature of the Autocop keyless entry system I've had installed.

Quote:
Very sensible buy and I will keep an eye out to see what FE you will get on this. I assume it should be 12 + in city / mix driving.
Look below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Excellent choice of car and variant. Actually the black ORVM's and Door handles doesnt look out of place (Is it matt finished or glossy black?), I only wish they had given the front grill also in black instead of chrome which will gel well with the overall look of the car. Get a good set of alloys and a decent ICE set up and you will be all set.

Wishing you a very memorable ownership experience.
The ORVMs and the door handles are plain black, not glossy nor exactly matte. Difficult to really classify. You know the standard black ORVMs you get on Marutis or others, the finish is definitely way better, but it's not glossy either.

I don't have plans for alloys as of now, not unless I get a very good exchange offer for my current wheels. But ICE is something that's definitely on my list to get ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
Regarding mileage, if you drive with very light foot, then you can extract very good mileage from the iVetc engine. But, I would say just enjoy the car now.
FUEL EFFICIENCY
Since taking delivery at 18:30 yesterday evening, I've already done about 92 km as of now. This includes a fair bit of smooth driving (on the Western Express Highway touching 130kph) as well as patches of a LOT of bumper-to-bumper "stop-stop-stop-go-stop-stop-go-stop" traffic as well. As of now, the instrument panel shows 10.3 kpl. Also note that AC was on for about 90% of the time. However, this is too soon to tell. I think I will be completing my full tank within the next 10 days or so, and I'll post the FE performance then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
LOL just wait and see. You will get addicted to the i-VTEC when it starts kicking in from ~3K rpm mark. After that you cannot stop driving the City, my friend - petrol bills be damned!
I have had that kind of expectation for a while. :P And like I said, I wanted to drive for the fun of driving, which is why I ruled out diesel right in the beginning.

Quote:
The new 10-spoke alloys cost about 6,250/- each - that's 25K for a set of 4, whereas the older 5-spoke ones cost about 10,500/- each - that's 42K for a set of 4! Upon asking for clarification, the dealer said that the older alloys are more sturdy and tough than the newer ones, and will last the distance. I am not sure why Honda put them on the new V MT. The 10-spokes should have come with the S MT instead, if they are cheaper. Maybe they wanted the new V MT to have different looks, alloy-wise? Only Honda can answer this.
That's odd! My dealer was willing to give me a set of 4 alloys for 24k, but those were not Honda alloys. And that too, it was after exchanging my old wheels.

Oh, by the way, that reminds me:

The tyres I got were Goodyear. Any opinion on this (though, of course, there's nothing I can do about it now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Silver also look good, silver is the easiest color to maintian. Wise decision.
Thanks. And yes, that was one of the criteria why I decided to go for silver instead of waiting for a wite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
The car looks majestic in silver color, lovely. Don't worry about the mileage, it will improve after 1000 KMs, engine is new and friction is more between moving parts - that's the reason for less mileage.
You're probably right. Refer to the Fuel Efficiency section above. I'm hoping that with some sensible driving, I can get a really decent FE, like 12+ in the city.

And then once I achieve that and break in the car (1000 km), I'll stop giving a damn about FE. :P

SOME MORE UPDATES
  • The NVH isolation is pretty disappointing. Engine noise is ZERO, except if you rev hard. And oh, that engine note is so sweet, it purrs like it's pleased. But the tyre noise is so disappointing. And I think I've noticed this especially because I don't have any music/ICE yet.
  • The door locks seem to be pretty hard to lock/unlock. I've not tested out the other doors yet, but the driver's side door-lock certainly seems to require more effort than any other I've seen. Maybe it's just being rusty.
  • There's a nice green "ECO" light that comes on when the engine is running "in the most economical state", apparently. I haven't quite figured out how to make the engine run in the most economical state all the time, but I'm glad to report that I've seen the light come on quite a bit. I generally try to reach 5th gear quickly, at about 60-70kph and then just cruise.

Couldn't take any more pics today because car got dirty and also, couldn't think of what other angle/aspect of the car needed to be photographed. Between mine and nitin's threads, I think we've captured the car from pretty much every angle. If anyone wants more pics of any specific parts, please let me know.
PhX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 19:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

My brother just bought a Honda City Automatic - Black (Delivered to him this Wednesday), today we drove the car and absolutely loved it. Although i am no Automatic Fan but i could see it does not feel sluggish on the city roads.

Did not try the sport mode with Paddle shifters, but looking at it, it does not seem like it will start behaving like manual. City undoubtedly is am amazing car.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 19:35   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
That's odd! My dealer was willing to give me a set of 4 alloys for 24k, but those were not Honda alloys. And that too, it was after exchanging my old wheels.
AFAIK, there's not much of a value of the steel rims (it goes at Rs.100-200 at most, and usually dealers buy it back from you just out of goodwill), so it's safe to assume that those alloys would have cost you 6K each. I am trying to source the 5-spoke OEMs from outside. See if you can get them somewhere as well.

Quote:
The tyres I got were Goodyear. Any opinion on this (though, of course, there's nothing I can do about it now).
Out of the 3 tyre options for the City, Goodyears are the worst in terms of tyre noise. They might last you for some kms, but they make a lot of noise and provide very skinny grip on the roads as well.

See if you can upgrade to Michelin 195/60s asap, for a much improved suspension/cabin insulation/road grip experience.

Quote:
The door locks seem to be pretty hard to lock/unlock. I've not tested out the other doors yet, but the driver's side door-lock certainly seems to require more effort than any other I've seen. Maybe it's just being rusty.
That's odd, and should not happen in a brand new car. If the problem persists or gets worse, get it checked at the dealer's.
  • Quote:
    There's a nice green "ECO" light that comes on when the engine is running "in the most economical state", apparently. I haven't quite figured out how to make the engine run in the most economical state all the time, but I'm glad to report that I've seen the light come on quite a bit. I generally try to reach 5th gear quickly, at about 60-70kph and then just cruise.
Really?! That's fantastic news, buddy!

After all the speculation before the facelift's launch, nobody reported this after the City got launched in December. (I couldn't check this either in my 2 trips to check out the new City) This is a pleasant and welcome surprise, and a huge Easter Egg for all potential new City owners! Thanks a lot!

Looks like they have carried over the "Eco" indicator from the Thai version of the City facelift (already introduced in the Brio). It kicks in when the car is being driven at optimum fuel efficiency mode (should be at around 40 kph inside city and 80-85 kph on the highways), and is always a pleasure to maintain, because the engine is at it's most frugal at those times.

A nice little addition to the new City!

Quote:
Couldn't take any more pics today because car got dirty and also, couldn't think of what other angle/aspect of the car needed to be photographed. Between mine and nitin's threads, I think we've captured the car from pretty much every angle. If anyone wants more pics of any specific parts, please let me know.
Thanks a lot for bringing up the point of the "Eco" indicator, my friend. Can you take a snap of it when it kicks in, and post it for us?

Does it look like this?

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-hondacity201114.jpg

Pardon me, but I am very excited about this nifty little feature!
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 19:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for hijacking the ownership review thread -

@RavenAvi - Pioneer AVH P2490 BT so soon? From US? Please share details (not necessarily here, but when you do put up your ownership report)

And as far as black ORVM's and door handles go, why not compliment it with alloys in the same colour too? Will look hot, no?

As far as the prices for the alloys, I think we can attribute it to localization, dont think honda would have skimped on the durability or strength of the alloys.

Quote:
Definitely. I have started sourcing my stuff (new Pioneer AVH-P2490 BT and JBL/Infinity finalised and ordered, should be getting them in the next week or two) and will be sharing full details with you and everyone else.

It's more plain black than glossy, bala. And I agree with you - the ORVMs and door handles actually compliment both White and Silver colors for the City quite nicely.

Upon asking for clarification, the dealer said that the older alloys are more sturdy and tough than the newer ones, and will last the distance. I am not sure why Honda put them on the new V MT. The 10-spokes should have come with the S MT instead, if they are cheaper. Maybe they wanted the new V MT to have different looks, alloy-wise? Only Honda can answer this.
Does it happen if all the other doors are shut? Just try with the rear doors open and see if it makes any difference? It can happen if all the other doors are shut and there is air resistance.

Quote:

The door locks seem to be pretty hard to lock/unlock. I've not tested out the other doors yet, but the driver's side door-lock certainly seems to require more effort than any other I've seen. Maybe it's just being rusty.
I remember reading about this earlier too, There was a specific mention of this feature in the facelifted city? Cant recollect exactly, but suggest you to check the official press release.

Quote:

Pardon me, but I am very excited about this nifty little feature!
Old 5th February 2012, 20:59   #22
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, there's not much of a value of the steel rims (it goes at Rs.100-200 at most, and usually dealers buy it back from you just out of goodwill), so it's safe to assume that those alloys would have cost you 6K each. I am trying to source the 5-spoke OEMs from outside. See if you can get them somewhere as well.
Yeah, I'll think about it. I didn't know about the steel rims, so I might think about some alloys now. Let's see. Maybe won't go for the standard 5-spoke Hondas. If I'm getting alloys, might as well get something that looks interesting.

Also, sad to know about the Goodyears. I can't upgrade the tyre size because it can void the warranty for the suspension and stuff, I believe. I'm stuck with these tyres for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Thanks a lot for bringing up the point of the "Eco" indicator, my friend. Can you take a snap of it when it kicks in, and post it for us?
Heh, you're quite excited about that, eh? I'm planning a midnight drive today, so I might just be able to take that snap for you, watch this space If it doesn't happen tonight, then you'll have to wait a few days because there's no way I will be able to drive in ECO mode while driving to office and back! :P And yes, it's something similar. In fact, looks like you've hit the nail on the head. Anyway, will try to post a picture tonight.

Quote:
And as far as black ORVM's and door handles go, why not compliment it with alloys in the same colour too? Will look hot, no?
Not sure. It might actually be a little too much. Right now, with the tinges of black, it looks elegant. Black alloys might be a bit over the top.

Quote:
Does it happen if all the other doors are shut? Just try with the rear doors open and see if it makes any difference? It can happen if all the other doors are shut and there is air resistance.
I'm talking about the locks only, not the actual door opening.
Old 5th February 2012, 21:05   #23
BHPian

Congrats on a great car! We own a '10 model in AT, and even with all the premium cars in the stable, the City fits in perfectly. And I agree with you on the exhaust note, it truly sounds sweet when you rev hard! Enjoy the ride mate!
Saarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 22:12   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for hijacking the ownership review thread -

@RavenAvi - Pioneer AVH P2490 BT so soon? From US? Please share details (not necessarily here, but when you do put up your ownership report)

As far as the prices for the alloys, I think we can attribute it to localization, dont think honda would have skimped on the durability or strength of the alloys.
Slightly OT - Bala, Pioneer has revamped it's entire present range in India. This is their coming range, expected to launch within the next month - New Launches

I am skeptical, like PhX above. Black alloys with the silver City will look slightly out of place, IMO. The small doses of black (ORVMs, door handles) is nice, and silver/silver-based alloys will complete the classy look of the City. But still, since you mentioned this, I will see about black alloys as well.

Even if they have localised it, they should have gone for the more expensive alloys on the VMT, don't you think? The difference between the S MT and the V MT is ~51K, so the cheaper alloys should have been on the S MT.

Quote:
I remember reading about this earlier too, There was a specific mention of this feature in the facelifted city? Cant recollect exactly, but suggest you to check the official press release.
Yes, I know about this.

In fact, me and Sid(indica) were the first ones to report that the new City facelift will come with an "Eco" indicator and an optional sunroof (in the original City thread). But after the facelift was launched, no mention of the "Eco" indicator was given anywhere, not even in the official City brochure! And nobody who went to check out the City Corporate mentioned it either.

So it came as a nice little surprise when PhX mentioned it, because for all money I thought Honda had decided against giving this "Eco" indicator in the facelift.

Hence the excitement!

Quote:
Yeah, I'll think about it. I didn't know about the steel rims, so I might think about some alloys now. Let's see. Maybe won't go for the standard 5-spoke Hondas. If I'm getting alloys, might as well get something that looks interesting.
There are some very good ones available out there. I was checking out some good ones through Google last night. Some of them are available throughout Delhi as well. Our T-BHP friend, k2max, also mentioned that OEM Honda alloys are available in shops in Delhi as well at a cheaper price. See if you can find some good ones to compliment your car.

Quote:
Also, sad to know about the Goodyears. I can't upgrade the tyre size because it can void the warranty for the suspension and stuff, I believe. I'm stuck with these tyres for the foreseeable future.
No, upgrading the tyres to a prescribed deviation of 2% maximum will not void your warranty, AFAIK. The perfect upsize to the default 175/65/15 tyres is the 195/60/15 size, and Michelin Primacy LC is a great option. Don't worry about the suspension warranty. In fact, check with your dealer for this and get confirmation on the same.

Quote:
Heh, you're quite excited about that, eh? I'm planning a midnight drive today, so I might just be able to take that snap for you, watch this space If it doesn't happen tonight, then you'll have to wait a few days because there's no way I will be able to drive in ECO mode while driving to office and back! :P And yes, it's something similar. In fact, looks like you've hit the nail on the head. Anyway, will try to post a picture tonight.
You bet I am! I thought that Honda had done away with that feature for the new facelift, and your revelation was a sudden surprise! They don't mention this in the official City brochure anywhere (I think Brio's brochure mentions this separately).

I think it comes as default with these new blue-backlit instrumentations sourced for the City facelift, ergo my opinion that they have been lifted from the Thai version of the City facelift, launched only a few months before the Indian City's facelift.

A nice little nifty feature for future City owners to look forward to.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 15:30   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the car!

I've temporarily moved your thread to the Assembly Line Section (More Information about this sub-forum).

Please note that Team-BHP does not permit booking / buying experience threads in the Test-Drives section anymore. For the benefit of members & guests alike, it is now imperative to include a complete report on the car (the driving experience / comfort / features, what you like, what you don't like etc.). To know more about this rule, and for review guidelines, view this announcement.

Please edit the opening post of this thread and update with a complete driving & ownership report. Pics would be great too! You have the ability to EDIT your post over an indefinite period of time; add more attachments / content / posts to your work-in-progress review thread at your own pace.

Once your thread is complete, you may report the post, and a Team-BHP Moderator will move your thread out to the public forum.
Old 7th February 2012, 15:54   #26
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car and happy driving .

And also it is good to see that you have diligently put in answers to all the points in "complete review" section of the opening post.

I have Honda city as the leading choice for my next car and all your ownership reports will help me make the decision.
Thanks,
Dinesh
ndinesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 16:15   #27
PhX
BHPian

Thanks and if you have any specific questions, please ask.
Old 7th February 2012, 16:15   #28
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the City!

It just continues to amuse me.

Wish you a great ownership period.

Quote:
Also, I have noticed that my car auto-locks and unlocks upon inserting and turning the key (or vice versa). I had not noticed this during any of my TDs, so I think this is very possibly a feature of the Autocop keyless entry system I've had installed.
Yep, it is the Autocop. City as such doesn't have the auto lock/unlock feature when you turn the key.

Quote:
But the tyre noise is so disappointing.
So that makes it the two of us unhappy with the tyre noise. Everyone else isn't complaining.

Quote:
Now I'm not sure if this is really the case but I've an observation. My Zen has a Piranha keyless system. And the driver door lock has a LOT of resistance while locking/unlocking. The other doors have a bit more than usual.

However, once we'd removed the system when the car was going to be idle for a year. And then, the door locks were butter smooth.

I have a feeling, it's got something to do with the keyless system. Can't say for sure of course, just my guess.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 16:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987
So that makes it the two of us unhappy with the tyre noise. Everyone else isn't complaining.
Zen has a Piranha keyless system. And the driver door lock has a LOT of resistance while locking/unlocking. The other doors have a bit more than usual.
My City came shod with Goodyears & the tyre noise on brand new was unbearable. The switch to Michelin Primacy LC has helped a great deal. However, the NVH of the City leaves a lot to be desired. Dyna mats; heavy floor mats in the cabin & boot are ways to reduce it a notch.

Yes, it is the autocop. It doesnt seem to like a manual unlock. Got mine fitted a few days after getting the car and can vouch for the same.
Use the unlock button on the remote if required when the engine is running. It works like a charm. However, there's no speed motion auto lock so don't forget to lock before rolling.
nitin.rai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 17:06   #30
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Thanks! I think I've read others on the forums also say that NVH isolation of the City isn't great.

Quote:
Now I'm not sure if this is really the case but I've an observation. My Zen has a Piranha keyless system. And the driver door lock has a LOT of resistance while locking/unlocking. The other doors have a bit more than usual.

However, once we'd removed the system when the car was going to be idle for a year. And then, the door locks were butter smooth.

I have a feeling, it's got something to do with the keyless system. Can't say for sure of course, just my guess.
I'm pretty sure you're right. I was beginning to reach that conclusion because the other locks did not feel so hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
My City came shod with Goodyears & the tyre noise on brand new was unbearable. The switch to Michelin Primacy LC has helped a great deal. However, the NVH of the City leaves a lot to be desired. Dyna mats; heavy floor mats in the cabin & boot are ways to reduce it a notch.
Might consider the tyre upgrade. I have to find out about the warranty stuff and then I'll consider. At this point, I think I'll only go in for a tyre upgrade if I get a very good resale value on my current tyres.

Quote:
Use the unlock button on the remote if required when the engine is running. It works like a charm. However, there's no speed motion auto lock so don't forget to lock before rolling.
Reaching for the dangling remote would probably be more of a pain than just applying a little more force on the door lock. But I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks