Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2012, 21:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!

So after much ado and 1 week of selecting a worthy diesel car I have am a happy owner of my new prize, All New Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCI. As customary to these threads, here is a brief bit of background of how my journey started.

I had bought an Honda City in 2010 V-AT and was pretty unhappy with the car. It looked great, drove smooth, no clutch, was a looker, but even after spending bucks and bucks on the car, I just didnt fall in love with it. Blame it on my Swift petrol that I used to have, I had been spoilt by it and loved the fact that I could through it around the corners, I wanted something similar, something that could touch my soul, but City only touched my wallet (fuel bills). I upgraded tyres of Michelin Primary LC, new grill, rear spoiler, bluetooth stereo, 2 amps, woofer. Just nothing could make me like this car.

In 2011 my entire family became a diesel convert and I was only one left paying the bills. Bang came news 2 weeks ago that diesel car prices are going to be hiked. I just tried my luck with my family of buying another car/suv for me. A DIESEL one this time (planned to retain the Honda City). To my surprise my parents encouraged me. Even though I did 17k km in Honda City in 1.5 years, but my parents stated that I hardly drive as I used too, and I should take the plunge and buy another car that I like. Even volunteered to help (I didnt take the help).

Cars/SUV's we considered. Here I must tell you that we had two schools of thought, I could retain Honda City or sell it, we were flexible there, and budget too was not something that we had fixed. Anywhere between 10-12.5 would be ideal, but we were willing to push the envelop. So the first vehicle we tested:

XUV 500: I remember way back in 2004 when I had bought an Esteem, my mother just didnt want me to buy a big car. At that time she had locked herself in a Wagon R refusing to come out of it, and even offering me to buy me that car. 8 years later, my mom was here with me looking at this beast. Encouraging me to book it. However we test drove the vehicle and things went sour. My mother even though spirited and wanting to make me happy had troubles getting into the vehicle. My dad too though impressed by my ability to drive the XUV was looking at the practical aspects, i.e. parking problems that I might face. In the end they left the decision to me. I found the vehicle good not great, it ticked all the boxes in looks, good driveability though I could feel the road somewhat. However I knew this could not be my daily drive. The vehicle required effort to drive. It was like driving a bullet.
At this point I must tell you I drive 70% in City. And only have some occasional highway trips (never did any in Honda City as the car never inspired me to take it out on the road). So I knew XUV was not practical, added to that the complicated booking procedure and the fact that the prices had just increased. So I decided to give this a miss even though a special someone wanted me to buy it. Next up we thought we'd go and check out Skoda Rapid but first we VW and decided to go there.

VW Vento: I nearly booked this car. It's not a looker but you get the badge, looks big enough compared to City. But I found the dashboard hitting my left leg. I just didnt like it, interiors too were very basic. No gismos to play with and just not very exciting, though very funcitonal and something that will stand the test of time. Decided to TD, and boy this car flies. I was hitting speeds not worthy of writing here in the forum on open road. However back in the city, clutch was hard, engine not very refined (though a rockstar), my leg hitting dashboard, handling above average (better than Honda City) but just not worthy of the engine under the bay. Plus with the speeds I was hitting, I thought this is going to be not so safe as I would always be tempted to press the pedal to the metal on open roads and given Indian driving conditions, you never know what can happen. However with close to 1 lakh rupee discount on Highline I almost booked the car in the blue (darkish) color that I digged. However there was a twist. I decided to TD VW Jetta.

VW Jetta: If money was no bar I would have almost stretched my budget to 14.8 OTR that I was getting this car for. This vehicle was just so so refined. It was not a pocket rocket like the Vento, but boy oh boy it reminded me of my numerous car rentals in Jetta in US of A. Mom encouraged me to take the plunge, but I decided to give this a skip with a heavy heart.

Other cars considered, Rapid and Cruise. Rapid dropped as when I was getting VW HL (the badge) with 1 lakh discount and Rapid offering only 15k, it was a no brainer. Even though I like the front looks of Rapid better. Cruise, well, it was a true case of dealership make ppl buy or not buy cars. The Chevy ppl made me feel like I was some low class trying to waste their time. Off from my list, even if it was free!!! Well maybe not if it was free

So almost made up my mind to buy Vento, even gave my papers to the showroom when my brother called and asked me to TD the new Fiesta. Up untill than this car was never in my list. I mean, who buys a Fiesta right? Upper middle class people buy a Honda City, they buy a VW, they buy Skoda, but who buys a Ford right? Wrong. I was so wrong. So unwillingly I just went to Ford's showroom. Alright first impression, car is looking better than I expected from the front. Ok, rear, oops. It just misses the plot in the rear. So I decide to sit inside the car, and boy this feels different. It has a character unlike the Vento. I am not saying its plush, but there are plenty of toys for me to play with, Cruise Control, Climate Control, Display, meaty tyres, handsome alloys, steering mounted controls, bluetooth, well laid out dashboard. Hmmmm things were getting interesting.

Sat in the rear seat, ok its not as dissapointing as I had remembered reading in the reviews, yes rear leg room is perhaps smallest in class, and black interiors do void the car of airy feel. However I drive the car alone or 2 ppl 90% of the time. So this was not a deal breaker for me. Back in the front my leg had plenty of leg room both vertically and laterally with my leg not hitting the dashboard like Vento.

Took a test drive of the car and I was blown. This car was so mature on road that I immidiately started comparing the ride with VW Jetta.

I won't talk about the details test drive as I will cover it in my first impressions later in this thread, needless to say I was in Love again! It was love at first drive. I could care less about the resale, the fact that no one but me would buy it, the fact that my colleagues would say Honda City is better and bigger and now I am driving junk, it was a love marriage and there were bound to be obstacles, but I was sold when I took the test drive and tried hard not to show to the sales rep my true feelings so that I could negotiate a good discount.

The car was absolutely awesome. It had the best ride and grip of any car sound of 12 lakh OTR that I have driven till date. I might as well and say this, that this car may put many cars in 20 lakh bracket to shame with its mature ride and handling. It was like my car was singing to the road, "you and me baby we are stuck like glue".

The power was more than adequate for our City's and highways, yes you always want more, but it was not like Honda City with so many horses on tap and you can never use them as the car feels scare at speeds of 120+. In addition by the time Honda City generates power, there is so much noise that the co-passanger or my parents would always ask me to either change gear or drive slowly. In Fiesta, even at 120, it felt like we are doing 80 kmph. Total and absolute control.

Now mostly when folks buy car in any segment they compare features like bhp, music system, abs, ebd. But no one talks about quality of these things. Let me tell you Fiesta has very little localisation and very good build quality and thus the premium that Ford decided to sell this car at initially. This car has the best music system in this segment. I have two amps, a woofer, and what not in my City, but the vocals in Fiesta are much much better than my City and much pleasure to the ears. In addition even small things like wipers remind you of Civic and not City or Vento that provide Maruti like wipers (in looks and no offense meat to either car owners). And yes there is a price to pay for airbags/abs/climate control and the music system (you are saved the hassle of an upgrade).

The discounts were stuck and I decided to take the delivery of the car yesterday. I had managed to get a very good deal and the color of my choice in Fiesta Style variant in the blue color of my choice.

I thought I had almost got things covered, went to the showroom at 11:00 am with the special one and my dad. Saw the car in flesh. Saw the interiors of this variant for the first time. Oh My God, the sporty seats with awesome thigh support were not present on this model. I decided to upgrade to the Trend variant, only to find out that too didnt have those seats. Mom encouraged me to go for higher model but those cars were available in white and gray.

Almost decided the upgrade than I saw the car in flesh, in that color it reminded me of Figo from far... that was not a good thing. I said no lets stick with the decision we have made and go with the color of the boy racer in me (I have just crossed 30 but young at heart). However than another bummer.. no USB. So this was the final straw, decided to upgrade, only to find out that USB is only availabe in Titanium. So let me guess, 1 lakh for USB? Thanks but no thanks. So after 3 hours of selecting the model, the color, going to the yard in seeing different cars, we decided to drive home with my new sweetheart!

I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!-img_0169.jpg

More to follow soon, my sweetheart has some new shoes!

I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!-img_0178.jpg

The cars that I considered:

VW Vento came a close second.

I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!-img_0212.jpg

Size comparision with my outgoing Honda City lining up the three:

I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!-img_0210.jpg

To sum it up, there are cars and than there is Fiesta...

Few observations after reading your posts so far:

- Folks dont like the choice of alloys. I had a few options but thought these are the only 1's that make the 15 inchers look close to 16 due to their long spokes.

- Going for 16 inchers was something that came as highly no no from reading the post in the forum. The 15 inchers look big enough on this leaving no gaps.

- Tire selection was Yoko S.Drive 205/55/15 as my brother has them on his car and swears by them. Heard that if you constantly drive at 180 kmph and these tires get hot, they become a sucidal tire. Well if you are driving at those speeds in India, I guess most tires would become sucidal and killer at the same time. I dont plan on doing those speeds in India. Safety not only for me but for pedestrians too comes first before any thrill of hitting 180 kmph for sustained period of time. Request all bhpians to keep their boy racers tamed.

Few more Pros of the car that I couldnt highlight last night:

- The engine is very very silent on the inside and even suprisingly standard by diesel standards on the outside. The diesel clatter is not there, kudos to Ford. Being global engines, the NVH is fantastic.

- Fiesta is sold in US of A too unlike some other cars in this segment that are made for developing countries. Therefore rear seat space (leg room) cant compete with cars made for India. This is a drivers car.

- The MID display shows lot of things and settings. For e.g. Passenger Door is Open. Settings for how many times should turn indicators flash when changing lanes.

- Follow me home headlights. These operate even when you open the car at night. They will light up and show you the car. In addition when going out of the car at night too, these remain on.

- Dashboard plastic and texture are mixed bag. Some very good bits on top of the dash, very soft touch headlight button, all window buttons light up at night. The bad bits are the lower dash.

- Ride is absolutely pliant on bad roads and small speedbreakers can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Some bits that are missing....

- Sorely missed the sporty seats. This car needs them badly considering the cornering speed it can handle. Not that the current seats in Style and Trend model is bad, but has less thigh support. These seats are only available in Titanium and Titanium +.

Miscellaneous Stuff

- The engine has more than enough grunt for the City at 205 NM and 91 PS. For a car thats just 70-100 kg heavier than the Swift Diesel (a perfomer in the hatch segment) this car has 15 nm more torque and 15 ps of more power.

- 0-100 kmph comes a little over 2 seconds compared to Vento. In real world conditions this doesnt mean much as no one is doing timed runs nor do we have the roads. However what this translates too is that thanks to the taller gearing and relatively less torque than Vento, you do require more gearshifts. However this will keep your wallet happy with even fewer trips to the gas station.

- This car can eat other cars in this segment even with this engine on the track. Maybe not on the straights, but the curves, this car just loves the curves.

- How the power is developed thats what makes it different from a Linea. As in, the car loves to be revved, its smooth and engine doesnt complain even at 4000 rpm. That is there is no noise/harshness/coarseness from the egine.

- Power on tap is ok for 100% of the time in City condition. When torque kicks in (no surge) just a petrol like refinement but just more solid. The torque comes in at around 1500-1700 rpm and this strength is maintained till the red line.

- The car feels like its at 80 kmph even when its at 100 kmph. This chasis begs for pushing you to drive at even higher speeds on the corners.

- In car audio has great vocals, adequate base and its not heavy on ears after prolonged listening like the cars with an amp and woofer setup.

- Even in the lowest model you get some features that many cars dont even offer in their top models (a.k.a Rapid) even today. The feature list of the base model includes:

- 2 Inch MID display
- Dual Airbags
- ABS and EBD
- Steering Adjustment
- Seat height adjustment
- Music System (that actually sounds worthy of a 10 lakh rupee car)
- 195/60/15 Stock Tires
- Steering mounted audio controls
- Mirrors mounted over OVRMs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Folks, As promised I am putting up the video road test of Ford Fiesta 1.5 Tdci. Hope you guys like it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th February 2012 at 23:18.
aseem is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 21:29   #2
BHPian

re: I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!

Let me be the first to congratulate you AseemThe choice of colour is very appealing indeed.I'm sorely tempted to replace my SX4 ZXi with the Fiesta.I'm guessing you opted for the Trend Variant.
Mind sharing the on-road price??If not publicly atleast by PM??

More pictures please,especially of the interiors!!

Last edited by KINI : 5th February 2012 at 21:33. Reason: Asking for more pictures
KINI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 21:33   #3
BHPian

Congratulations on the new Fiesta! I love the new fiesta and is the best car in the C segment. I had taken a TD of it on Saturday and boy what a car, love the interiors and the body hugging seats! The dealer wasnt offering any discounts on the Trend varient and the delivery time was 45days! The build quality of the fiesta is superb and better than the vento. We then decided for the laura then as there wasnt any budget issue, getting the delivery on thursday One suggestion get the chrome belt-liner, it'll enhance the looks.

Last edited by Y@SH : 5th February 2012 at 21:34.
Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 21:36   #4
dot
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Hope you have many miles of true "ownership" and lots of fun.

Due to silly marketing, a good car like this has been languishing in the market. After hearing horror stories about so many manufacturers these days, sometimes I feel that Ford is one of the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I might as well and say this, that this car may put many cars in 20 lakh backets to shame with its mature ride and handling. It was like my car was singing to the rude, "you and me baby we are stuck like glue".
Great to read that this particular Ford DNA is still intact. Handling made the Ikon and Fiesta "C" stand out even when it was ageing and considering there were so many better contenders and options in the market. The Ford cars moves on rails.

Last edited by dot : 5th February 2012 at 21:38.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 21:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The front pic is SO STRIKING!! Alloys...Guess you could have gotten a more stylish one - this car deserves to have a more than "classic" feel!

I can feel your passion in your writing - so did you finally get the Style version itself? I have to say the car looks beautiful of all the new Fiestas on the forum!

Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring! And yes, we are NOT gonna leave you without pics
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 21:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Kini for being the first person to go through the torture of reading my entire post... I am like duracell when I am excited and I write. I just go on and on and on!

The variant that I finally took for Style TDCi as Trend was available only in white and grey. I wanted to go for this baby in blue and get my own mags. The discount details in PM.

I got the delivery of my baby and first stop was a tyre upgrade. I was contemplating going in for 16 inchers for my baby, but reading mix reviews on the TBHP forum I decided to play it safe. So I got my babe 2 pairs of Yoko S.Drives 205/55/15 and a set of clean looking silver shoes to go along with it (drool )

I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!-phpj5bbfxam6.jpg

Tragedy struck overnight the sidewall of first tyre damaged, dont ask me why, just a crazy biker and evasive action. That meant ended up buying 5 tires instead of 4. Heart Attack!

I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!-phpj2d0mdam3.jpg

The pros so far:

- Stupendo fantaboulous fantastic (those who are made to go through the torture of watching DID with their better halfs will know what I am talking about) driveability
- This car is awesome on the curves, speeds of 120, no problemo sir, take the turn, no squeal, total confidence
- Enough pep for the City, 100 kmph in 13.33 seconds (not that I care), but thats just good enough for me
- Did I tell you about the music system, its like damn good
- Blue color is drool maal
- 2nd gear at 15kmph no jerking, 3rd gaer at 20-25.. good enough torque for City driving without changing too many gears
- Nice key FOB

Cons:
- Odd rear look
- Slightly smaller than other cars in this segment
- Overtakes may require an occasional downshif

Some pics for you guys to enjoy..

I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!-phpzt4zkmam7.jpg

I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!-phpzbkpufam2.jpg

I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!-phpv1deidam4.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!-phphxmcnvam.jpg  

Last edited by aseem : 6th February 2012 at 19:16.
aseem is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 22:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Kini for being the first person to go through the torture of reading my entire post... I am like duracell when I am excited and I write. I just go on and on and on...

The variant that I finally took for Style TDCi as Trend was available only in white and grey. I wanted to go for this baby in blue and get my own mags. The discount details in PM.
You have an entertaining writing style.I vividly remember your post on the Fiesta review thread.If I may say,Kinetic Blue makes the butt look "less ugly"!!

PS:Haven't received a PM yet,thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 22:02   #8
BHPian

Congratulations!!!!
Excellent colour, gives it a lot of character.Just a small question.Why dint you go for the titanium version? i dont think vitamin M was deficient? or was it because of the waiting period?? The titanium has auto AC,Auto folding mirrors, voice control etc etc.

My dad is getting a car soon and i tested the petrol fiesta, boy was i happy with the ride,handling and the power.Since we own a figo,have bee a devotee for Ford 'designed for 'pleasure' philosophy.but sadly the philosophy leaves out the back seat guys,bland interiors was the deal breaker. found the backseat better than the Verna though.

Enjoy your car to the fullest.It will serve you well for long! Hopefully we will get to see some more mods right?? how about a nice tuning box??

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 5th February 2012 at 22:03.
Old 5th February 2012, 22:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well not really Vitamin M, family was pushing to upgrade with mom volunteering money. But Titanium version models were lying in Stockyard since september, this color not available in Titanium. The Style variant that I could have easily gone for was available only in White and Gray. These colors make this car look like a figo, I didnt want that. Hey by the way this is how the key FOB looks like.

I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!-phpbbmkdaam8.jpg

Last edited by aseem : 6th February 2012 at 19:18.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 22:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some pics for you guys to enjoy...

Attachment 883175

Attachment 883174

Attachment 883173
The tyre tread resembles the BS GIII Potenza so much! And could you tell me more on the sport seats (?) you were talking about? Does that come in top variant alone? And what with the bulge? Did you have to replace ALL 5 tyres?

Quote:
Hey btw this is how the key FOB looks like..

Attachment 883183
Sorry to nit pick, please give the fob, the company of a drool maal key chain too!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th February 2012 at 22:12.
Old 5th February 2012, 22:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you have to replace ALL 5 tyres?
Replaced just one tire courtesy evasive action and hitting the sidewall.

They are cars you drive to work too (Honda City) and than they are cars that you find reasons in the middle of the night to drive too (Fiesta)

Last edited by aseem : 6th February 2012 at 19:24.
aseem is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th February 2012, 22:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

This picture is awesome and awesome color choice. Congratulations. How do you like the interior plastics ? What is the on road price ?
Attached Thumbnails
I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!-phpzbkpufam2.jpg  

Last edited by F150 : 5th February 2012 at 22:18.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 22:16   #13
BHPian

Congrats... The blue is indeed very striking, to say the least. Excellent write up. I too deliberated on buying this but finally decided to go with the Jetta. Nevertheless, i couldn't agree with you more about fiesta's drivability. Even the previous generation fiesta was pretty darn good in this department.
Old 5th February 2012, 23:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Aseem on your brand new Ford Fiesta. You have just got home the best handler in the segment.

Wishing you happy and safe mile crunching.

Quote:

VW Vento: looks big enough compared to City.
Could not get this part. Honda City's dimensions are greater than Vento's.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 23:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Could not get this part. Honda City's dimensions are greater than Vento's.
Thank you all for your wishes. What I meant by above statement was, that in this segment, Vento and Rapid come closest size wise compared to City. Fiesta is noticably shorter.

Another angle of the tire profile.

I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!-fenderbender.jpg

Last edited by aseem : 6th February 2012 at 19:25.
aseem is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed