Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 16:21   #16
BHPian

Re: My first car in India - Silver Toyota Etios Liva V

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Am I wrong in thinking that your colour choice too stems from practicality considerations?!
No you are absolutely right. All our cars have been silver so far so that dirt/dust is less visible. But I was not really aware that a person cleans the car every morning for Rs 300 pm

Quote:
I thought both the City and Jazz suffered from same GC issue. (Of course the new City 2012 now appears more practical with a GC of 165 mm)
I think Jazz has slightly lesser problem because of the chassis size. It sags less compared to City. But I guess I didn't test where the City hits the bump.
Old 7th February 2012, 17:27   #17
BHPian

Congratulations and a very well made decision.

Two things caught my eye:
1. Regn no 0420. I drive a car with the same number, and trust me everytime a parking guy gives me a shrewd look. Not to mention others who ask me if I took this number or was it just luck. I love the number though .
2. Reducing Noise levels in the cabin. Can you provide more details on this one. Did look up the Amazon link but was unable to understand how it works. Is it a replacement of the door rubber?

Cheers,
TApish
Old 8th February 2012, 13:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
request you to post the pics of the new ride and if possible post in some snaps of the earlier Nissan and Acura too.
I will try to take decent pictures of the new ride this weekend but here are the pictures of my previous ride.

Old 6th March 2012, 13:21   #19
BHPian

How noisy is Etios Liva's cabin ?

Yesterday I did some experiments before my sound isolation experiments with rubber strips. I wanted to first find out how good is Toyota's isolation.

So here are the results;
Control sound Diesel Generator from 50 ft far is 86dB
Liva parked at this position with doors and window closed: 58db
Close to 30 dB static sound isolation is quite good comparable to better noise isolation headphones.
Liva with engine at idle and Diesel generator at 50 ft: 72 dB The engine contributes 14db, which makes it around 32 times more noisy than when engine was off.
Bangalore road conditions when no one is honking for couple of seconds: 88 dB which means it is almost twice as noisy than a Diesel generator at 50 ft.
Toyota Liva at 3000 rpm on the same noisy road is 92 dB.

Will follow-up more with cabin noise vs rpm later today.
acurafan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 16:30   #20
BHPian

Is the Rubber seal strip fitted on the door or the door frame? Could you please post pictures of the rubber seal strip fitted ? I have been planning long for this for my Etios-VD however I could not figure out the type of rubber weatherstrip to use as I believe there are couple of designs to choose.

I read somewhere that the NVH insulation is better in Altis as there are three layers of insulation material. The Etios VD has only one layer and I am thinking of adding butyl rubber sheets such as Wuerth and some kind of mass loaded vinyl sheet (yet to find the place where I can buy them).
Do you have any plans for such insulation for your car?

Last edited by automachine : 7th March 2012 at 16:39.
Old 20th March 2012, 15:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
It is currently unavailable on Amazon but this is the product. I guess you can find it in any other auto shops. It is $13 per strip, each strip is 3.5m which is more than Liva's door's perimeter.

Amazon.com: Car Vehicle Door Rubber Hollow Air Sealed Seal Strip: Car Electronics
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
How noisy is Etios Liva's cabin ?

Yesterday I did some experiments before my sound isolation experiments with rubber strips. I wanted to first find out how good is Toyota's isolation.

So here are the results;
Control sound Diesel Generator from 50 ft far is 86dB
Liva parked at this position with doors and window closed: 58db
Close to 30 dB static sound isolation is quite good comparable to better noise isolation headphones.
Liva with engine at idle and Diesel generator at 50 ft: 72 dB The engine contributes 14db, which makes it around 32 times more noisy than when engine was off.
Bangalore road conditions when no one is honking for couple of seconds: 88 dB which means it is almost twice as noisy than a Diesel generator at 50 ft.
Toyota Liva at 3000 rpm on the same noisy road is 92 dB.

Will follow-up more with cabin noise vs rpm later today.
Eagerly waiting for your test results after fixing Car Vehicle Door Rubber Hollow Air Sealed Seal Strip along with the images which helps understand how you fixed it.

On a different note, how did you measure the noise levels ?

Last edited by amalji : 20th March 2012 at 15:07.

Most Viewed