Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 13:45   #1
BHPian

White Scorpio SLE 7 seater bought home! *UPDATE: 1000 km completed!

Tbhpians,

I bought my Scorpio SLE home this Sunday. Let me tell you how the story unfolded.

I had a Swift VDI (ABS) July 2010 model, lovingly named Sweefty. I always knew it was more or less temporary arrangement and I needed to upgrade in couple of years. Around first week of January, a friendly neighborhood dealer offered a decent deal on the car which got me thinking. I thought selling Sweefty would be easy, and it really was till the time I handed over the keys. The pain was so excruciating that my eyes went moist. She was my first car, and first love. I told the buyer to call me when he decides to sell it in few years. Drove her 23,000 kms in 18 months and loved every bit of her. The way she growled, the way she handled, the way she felt planted on curves, the way she responded to my moves and was every ready for a long drive. Can't write more.

Anyways, the moment of truth came around 15th Jan and I knew I had to move on. My priorities were following:

1. Reliability - Don't want the car to make frequent trips to service centre.
2. Safety - ABS was a must, basic minimum in fact. More the better.
3. Servicing - Good Servicing and Maintenance
4. Backseat Comfort (for parents)
5. Handling - Sweefty had set up benchmark high. Steering use to respond beautifully and didn't feel like a joystick
6. Power - I like vehicles which aren't laggards.
7. Resale Value - I would prefer the car to have a good resale value

Of course, there would always be some compromise here and there and I wanted a car that would check minimum benchmark across all categories. My preference was diesel but only exception worth considering was City 2012, though Fiesta was also explored in petrol.

My driving pattern is about 50-60kms daily drive segregated as 40% in city and 60% on highway (considering MG road, or NH-8 to Gurgaon), with occasional weekend getaways thrown in.

OPTIONS CONSIDERED:

Over the course of next one week, I zipped across the city of Delhi to various dealerships in our backup car Wagon R Sports (Yes, the Sports mode button was disguised as CNG off ) to test drive following cars:

1. Honda City:

I have driven pre-2008 Honda City as well as been a backseat passenger in k!ng_@thur's car (he is not too active on forum I think). So my expectations were high, and face it - this was the car every kid used to dream of buying someday. But alas, handling, joystick steering left lot to be desired in City 2012. Even the backseat, though comfortable, was no match in front of its previous avatars. Plus the low ingress was uncomfortable for my parents. I was disappointed.

2. Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDi:

This was the car I was eyeing for long time. Maybe it's only me but I found it's backseat better than City 2012 (don't bash me, personal opinion) but the low ingress was again an issue with parents but they would have taken if it checked all other boxes. As mentioned by other tbhpians, the handling was not good for such a beautiful car. I actually took 2 test drives in space of a week after driving other vehicles, and remove the "tbhp bias" (we really dig deep, other civilians might not be able to appreciate handling, or other technical areas). But no, not happy with 80kmph+ handling. Agreed that below that, the car is beauty to drive and engine is brilliant, but let's face it, anything below 60, a nano is as capable though slow.

3. Vento TDI:

Oh yeah baby ! Now we are talking. Sure, noise levels were tad bit more but heck I loved that engine growl and respond. And it really felt planted, handled beautifully. It really felt like an ideal successor to Sweefty, right up to the point I sat in the back seat. It was uncomfortable for me, leg room was limited and the back side of cabin just felt cramped. Moreover, servicing was a huge issue, having heard 8k-10k paid service bills. My Sweefty was not cheap car to maintain, first paid service came out to be around 6.5k but atleast MASS reputation was there. VW had same dealers as Skoda and similar culture. So I was very vary about the servicing aspect. Hence, no Skoda car was even considered for a test drive. I know some of you may question the decision of not to test drive Rapid but I just didnt want to buy a Skoda. I thought VW might be different but 2 dealers I went to in NCR were not quiet inspiring.

4. Ford Fiesta:

I test drove both diesel and petrol versions, half heartedly as I didnt want to buy an overpriced, underpowered diesel car. Also, I had driven Fiesta Classic 1.6 petrol of a friend and found it better and more peppy than the New Fiesta petrol. Service issues (Harpreet Ford is infamous for overcharging and malpractices, NCR ford is bit better), not the best backseat zone in all aspects. It just didnt gel.

5. Maruti SX4:

Yaawwwn ! Really boring car. Was not interested in petrol engine of Maruti (I liked the DDiS more than K-series even while I was test driving for Sweefty in 2010). ZDi was not as exciting, possibly because it was more of less same engine in higher state of tune that simply was not enough for SX4. Plus old model, interiors not worth talking about for a Rs 9L car and backseat was pretty much same as swift, just a bit better but that wasnt enough. Didnt test drive Dzire as I had junked it during buying process of Sweefty (Huge boot overhang, bad design terrible backseat. No thank you. Swift is better). Though Dzire CS would IMHO, be better as there in no overhang. But I have outgrown Marutis and compact sedans now.

6. Optra Magnum/ Cruze:

I actually wanted to test drive Optra but there was no car available across dealers in NCR ! All Chevy dealers seem to be focused only on Beat or Cruze (later I did find one dealer but it took him a week to give me test drive. I took the test drive after getting my Scorpio billed). So I took test drive of Cruze. Backseat was pathetic, the front seat was low and due to huge bonnet, comfortable driving position was such that visibility was bit hampered. Not a deal breaker but not the best either. The engine was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. But I had heard about Optra backseat so I was more inclined to buy Optra. The sales person told me that they already have phased out petrol version (didnt know that !) and diesel might also get phased out. It put me in a huge spot of ambiguity that I will get a car that I have not test driven and there is no surety of it's continuity. Plus, very poor resale value and arbit reliability issues made me think twice.

7. Nissan Sunny - the Caaaar:

Ok this company is really digging deep to hear what Indian consumers are saying. Backseat space and comfort was great. Brilliant paint job and overall good design, fit and finish. The car didnt feel premium from interiors but it didnt feel cheap either (unlike SX4!). The dealer I sold my Sweefty to, told me that only two hatch backs are commanding a really good resale value in the market - Swift VDi and Micra. So that was bit confidence inspiring. Though the caaar was underpowered (not much difference between Swift Vdi and this one) it felt reasonable to drive, not as peppy as exciting but nothing deal breaker for the price it offered on. I agree with various members that though it may be priced maybe 50k higher, but I feel that overall quality, fit and finish is more towards verna, city etc than manza or dzire. The deal breaker for me was unproven long term costs of ownership (by longterm i mean atleast a year) and wafer thin dealership network.

8. Innova 2012:

The dealer didnt have the new 2012 model for test drive (only display) but since it was only cosmetic facelift, I was given a test drive vehicle that had clocked 50k on odo. Innova really was the car that checked almost all boxes. Brilliant rear seat comfort, servicing, reliability, great handling. The only grouse I have with toyota is that it shoves up products that really are worth 60-70% of the price. It was a bare naked shell and really was under-powered. How so ever great a product might be but if a company is not respecting me as a consumer, I would not buy its products. At same price (2.5G, entry level 2.5 with ABS was costing 13L OTR), I was getting XUV 5oo ! Really had tough time to decide between the two and I really have read Innova v/s XUV thread 2-3 times. Test drove XUV (more below) and decided to junk Innova, but yes I would like to have an Innova in my garage as a second (or third, you will see how!) vehicle when I can afford it. It is one of those cars you are confident of walking upto after 6 months and it will crank without a hiss or an iota of doubt.

9. Aria:

Before anyone says Safari, I would say I was not interested in buying a phased out model and there was no news on when Storme is coming to market (Though my sources in TML tell me that it is expected to be priced around Rs 11L for the ABS model, so pretty much XUV territory). Now Aria, boy, doesnt feel like Tata from inside for most of the time. It was a check mark on all parameters but Tata car is prone to far more niggles than M&M car. Plus remember, XUV5oo at same price? Aria, honestly speaking, was out even before I took a test drive but wanted to take one to be sure. There is not much to choose between dicor and mHawk in terms of power and reliability (talking only about engines here) but mHawk was more refined and less "truck-like".

10. XUV 5oo :

Holy cow ! What a car. I agree on everything that M&M has initial niggles etc etc. But never doubted the mHawk. Car drove like a sedan, parents were comfortable at the back. Brilliant handling, it never ran out of breath. My dad really had to shout at me to bring the car down from 140kmph to sub 100kmph on highway test drive. But even he was very much impressed. We really dont need the backseats and a comfortable 5 seater will do the job for us. But apart from that, there really was not much I could have found fault with the car.

So we decided to go ahead and book XUV. We were in constant touch with dealership (Koncept Mahindra) and only info they had was that the bookings will open soon. And then came the famed draw. Though we did apply for a draw on 27th Jan, we really wanted a car in a month or so. And then we saw Scorpio. The reason I had not test driven the monster so far as we had decided on XUV so there was no point in test driving Scorpio. But then I took test drive of Scorpio. Now a brief background - I am a guy who has been around SUVs before they were called SUVs in India (SUV concept really started with Scorpio in 2002). I learnt to drive on Mahindra Marshall in 1999 and we've had Commander, Armada, Marshall, Qualis in the past (all given to dad by the construction firm he works for, and his current ride is - Scorpio ). My dad suggested a test drive of Scorpio, as he finds his reasonably comfortable.

11. Scorpio:

So I sat behind the steering and oh boy, the good old days were back again. Yes the gear level vibrates, but then read the list above - not a deal breaker for me. Comfort level - sure not same as innova or safari but passes the minimum benchmark. Body roll is less than my swift, seat are comfortable. Middle seat at back was more comfortable than XUV as the armrest was not as hard. Reliability - without doubt more than Safari. Cheaper to maintain than Swift, good resale value. High speed cornering is an issue but then for this size, it is expected and I am aware of it as well. Straight line handling is very good, not XUV good but I felt upto the level of Innova. Innova's steering is wee-bit better but really it's nick picking. One can live with that. Another thing on back of my mind was this this monster is very well built. Once, a Scorpio hit my dad's qualis from side, right into the bonnet. Thankfully toyota is also rugged, though not to M&M level but better than most around, so nothing happened to dad and driver but still the bonnet and engine were shredded. It took a new engine assembly and a month in workshop for qualis to get back on its feet. Another incident happened when I was taking a test drive and sitting in back while sales rep was driving. An ANHC tried to cut in between but misjudged the gap which resulted in front left bumper of test drive Scorpio hitting AHNC in the back, right side. I was in awe when I saw that while there was barely a scratch on Scorpio's bumper, a visible damage was there to AHNC's boot. So much so that dealer agreed to repair the dent in Mahindra's bodyshop. So anyways, to cut the long story short, we booked Scorpio SLE, while waiting for XUV draw !

SALES, BOOKING & DELIVERY PROCESS:

Very smooth. The staff at Koncept Automobiles was very good. Heard what I had to say and tried their best to resolve my issues. I didnt want JK Elanzo on Scorpio and saw few SLEs with Bridgestone Duellers and MRFs. So told the sales rep that I want only those two, no JKs. He said that it is not in his hand, and totally depends on what tyre M&M uses in the manufacturing batch. But he had a talk and got the info that soon SLEs would be stripped off Bridgestone Duellers and those tyres would only be for VLx and XUVs. He did mention that there were few SLEs - white in colour, 7 seater with Bridgestone Duellers but they are already allotted but not billed. If my bank loan goes through soon then I can be given one of those. Apparently, SBI had held up their loan on account of documentation and verification process. So I was apprehensive. My previous car loan was with HDFC and though it came in 2 days, if I describe the treatment I got while foreclosing and my feelings towards the same, I would be banned from this forum.

But I still send in my papers. To my surprise, SBI checked all papers, approved the loan, conducted verification at home and office and asked me to come and sign the loan agreement - All in ONE DAY

Goes to show that if your documentation is thorough and credit scores are good, PSU banks are noways laggards in loan disbursements. I booked my Scorpio on 28th Jan (Saturday) - Next day of entering in XUV draw. My papers went to SBI on 30th Jan (Monday) morning through dealer, and I got a call from bank to come and sign the loan agreement on 30th itself. The dealer was more than happy to bill the Scorpio with Bridgestone Duellers on account of financial visibility. I went to sign the agreement on 31st morning and dealer told me that I can pick up vehicle on 31st evening. But I first went to stockyard to do PDI on morning of 1st Feb but vehicle had already gone to showroom previous night. But before that was made clear, I had already done PDI of someone else's vehicle. So sales rep assured me that all the steps would be followed at showroom PDI, as I shoved the tbhp PDI doc into his hands (Thank you, once again - used that doc for Sweefty's PDI too !). We wanted to wait till 5th Feb for delivery as dad was on tour and he came back on 4th. On 5th morning, we took the delivery of our Scorpio with 24kms on odo and it looks so majestic in white. I was thinking black but seeing both in flesh, white became and obvious choice.

Model Booked - Scorpio SLE, 7 seater, White colour, 2.2 mHawk engine and with Bridgestone Duellers !

ON THE ROAD PRICE

Ex Showroom - Rs. 9,24,837/-
Registration - Rs. 85,593/-
Insurance - Rs. 20,500/- after 45% discount (don't remember the exact figure but +/- Rs200)
Handling - Rs. 7,250/-
Corporate Discount - Rs. 5,500/-
-------------------------------------
Total - Rs.10,32,680/-
-------------------------------------
3rd year extended warranty - Free
4th Year extended warranty - Rs. 3,000 (again discounted)

Floor mats, scuff plates - Free with a air freshener thrown in as well.

Paid Accessories:

1. Rear Guard (Rs. 2,800/-) : To avoid rear ending by cabbies (not a big fan of front bull bar)
2. Minda Gear lock (Rs. 1,300/-)
3. Front Chrome Grill (Rs.1,200/-) : I am not a chrome fan (and hence no chrome kit please) but the single walrus chrome tooth on front grill was looking out of place. Full front chrome grill looks much better.

Although the sales process, staff and overall experience was great but like any other dealer in the world, even this dealer also tried to overcharge me for accessories but one email to Mahindra area sales manager with price differentials as per M&M website and things were sorted. Infact, i got the accessories cheaper than M&M website (high-five !) after that email drama. But having said that, even Mahindra has been a laggard at their end as well, to the extent that the full accessories list is not published and few prices are outdated. The dealer was giving me gear lock for Rs2,200/- but that was for a higher specification (which was not required here)

Equipment Level:

Basic minimum. Plain simple and uncluttered. There is no car entertainment system which I think should have been there with any million rupee car. Safety features include ABS, Fog Lights but no airbags. It has both front and rear arm rests and AC vent for middle row. I am still exploring other features and will post as and when I discover them on road. The voice assist is brilliant and reminds you of all important things like seat belts (only driver side though), hand brake, door not shut properly, any red areas including fuel at reserve level (I got that one today morning !). In the nut shell, it doesn't have any of the snazzy gizmos but does the basic on road job better than other cars who have them. Hence I chose this one over Fiesta, Verna, City etc. as, IMHO, it does the basic job better than others as a overall package for me.

Overall Fit and Finish:

As much as you can expect from an Indian manufacturer. There weren't any glaring panel gaps but fit can be improved a lot more. My central console is already vibrating !

From finish point of view, the car has comfortable seating, pretty good fabric seats and overall an acceptable quality. Though the door opening handle and AC vent air control handles/ knobs feel like they are going to fall off soon.

Build Quality:

Tank like. It is rugged, it gives you a feeling that vehicle can come out unscathed through a minefield. Infact, I now take special care while driving as in case of a mishap, I dont fear for my life but who so ever is at the receiving end.

Exterior Styling:

Oh come on ! It is a monster, and quite a good looking one too. No issues there really. The only thing I didnt like was the single chrome walrus tooth which was rectified as explained above.

Interior Space and comfort:

Actually, I have not gotten a chance be driven around in the middle seat so far as I have been doing most of the driving. But my folks are happy with the backseat comfort. I also sat on the backseat once and I felt that the car has lot of space both in vertical as well in horizontal direction. The horizontal space maybe lesser than, say manza, but the high seating position ensures that you are comfortable and sitting straight and not in obtuse angle with knees in the air.

Deep potholes are felt to the extent that vehicle moves up and down along the shape but a little of that is really transferred to the seat, as against me jumping in air when my swift used to cross the same stretch to gurgaon. So yes, you can feel the tyre on the road but body roll is indeed lesser than my swift. Both vertical and horizontal flying stretches are limited. This is when I am talking of bad potholes, this monster eats up small speed breakers and bad stretches of road (not heavily potholes but not clean tarmac either).

AC - have not gotten a chance yet but will update as an when summers hit the town!

Rest everything else is placed where it should be. Lot of cubby holes to keep arbit stuff, everything within the reach. Even the control beneath the steering are just one finger away, no stretch required. Initially I found that horn pad needs to be hard pressed but realized that while driving straight, the horn extends very ergonomically upto the two top spokes and is easy to operate. However, you need to be careful while turning and honking as the cruise position is disrupted.

Engine:

Gem of an engine. It is vibrating all right but gets settled in to a nice rhythm soon. I am assuming much better refinement after 2-3k as was the case with DDiS as well. The turbolag is very minimal and power is available in demand in a linear fashion. Though I do feel a little bit of nudge as soon as vehicle crosses 2k RPMs, it is nowhere near the sudden whooosh ! of national engine. For vehicle this size, such minimal turbo lag works perfectly, as you dont want to be in driver's seat of monster in case of sudden surge. Respect the car and he will respect you back.

Initial Driving Experience:

After driving in traffic, I do realize the need for AT in Scorpio. The gear shifts are notchy to start with, but I have observed that the gear and engine settles down into nice rhythm after few kilometers of driving. The car requires some effort to drive at sub-40kmph speeds but it is really effortless beyond that. While driving I was flanked by 2 women drivers in Scorpios - just goes to show that this vehicle is as easy to drive as a swift or innova, just mind the size of it while pushing it in corners.

In past couple of days, the monster has already done close to 300kms. Sure, it aint a swift or verna in terms of vibration but it is comfortable enough to act as a nice massager. It aint back breaking as other mahindra vehicles we had were. A positive that came out of gear lever vibration is that now I keep both hands on steering, and dont drive in one-hand-on-gear position !

Scorpio is responsive, power available on demand. Havent taken it beyond 100kmph, as advised by manual for first 1000kms. But at 90-100kmph, it is very planted. Larger curves are handled well even at a speed of 80kmph. Handling a curve at higher speed in any car is not prudent, in my opinion. I am loving the seat position, road presence. Yes, the vehicle is steering to the left and I told the dealership that I can bet my backside that it is the famed "shim" issue which they said would be resolved soon. Overall, very happy with the purchase. Planning to take Scorpio to Jaipur in 10 days or so.

But now, the big question. It has to be named. I have narrowed down to Topgun and Scorpatron. Votes and suggestions invited !

Cheers

Dieseling

Few pics below !
Attached Thumbnails
White Scorpio SLE 7 seater bought home! *UPDATE: 1000 km completed!-front-1_v2.jpg  

White Scorpio SLE 7 seater bought home! *UPDATE: 1000 km completed!-handover-1_v2.jpg  

Last edited by Dieseling : 8th February 2012 at 15:19.
Dieseling is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 13:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: White Scorpio SLE 7 seater bought home! *UPDATE: 1000 km completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseling View Post
Tbhpians, I bought my Scorpio SLE home this Sunday. Let me tell you how the story unfolded.
Same pinch!

Loved your review - very thorough, yet not yawn inducing! If you don't mind, what was the on road price you paid?

Many congratulations and wish you a million miles of safe & happy driving!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 7th February 2012, 14:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Same pinch!

Loved your review - very thorough, yet not yawn inducing! If you don't mind, what was the on road price you paid?

Many congratulations and wish you a million miles of safe & happy driving!

Cheers,
Vikram
Thank you Vikram. OTR was Rs 10.34L after corporate discount and insurance discount, but before additional accessories that costed about Rs5,300/-.

And also, would really like to thank you, getsurya and other scorpio owners who have shared their experiences on the forum.

Cheers,

Dieseling
Dieseling is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 14:03   #4
BHPian

Congrats on buying Scorpio man. Am not sure if you have mentioned it somewhere, is this '12 or '11 manufactured. Please do post some pics.

Happy driving.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 7th February 2012, 14:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Congrats on buying Scorpio man. Am not sure if you have mentioned it somewhere, is this '12 or '11 manufactured. Please do post some pics.

Happy driving.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Thanks Rajesh. It is Jan 2012 manufactured in Nashik. Thanks to Tbhp again, was able to read the VIN that mentioned "C2A" which translates into 2012, Nashik, January

Will post the pics soon.

Cheers,

Dieseling
Old 7th February 2012, 14:16   #6
BHPian

Congrats on the Scorpio. Very nicely written write up. Impressed with the acute thought process in selecting the vehicle. Hope you have several thousand miles of safe riding and pleasure.

P.S. I'd vote for Topgun
Old 7th February 2012, 15:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the Scorpio, and wishing you a happy ownership experience. Pics would be welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseling View Post
Yes, the vehicle is steering to the left and I told the dealership that I can bet my backside that it is the famed "shim" issue which they said would be resolved soon.
Can you provide more details on the 'shim' issue, and also how to go about correcting it?
Old 8th February 2012, 15:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Congrats on the Scorpio, and wishing you a happy ownership experience. Pics would be welcome.

Can you provide more details on the 'shim' issue, and also how to go about correcting it?
Thanks !
The shim is a metal piece that goes somewhere close to axle, not sure exactly where. Many members on the forum have complained about this issue and M&M simply doesnt resolve it at factory level
Old 9th February 2012, 11:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Congrats on the Scorpio. Very nicely written write up. Impressed with the acute thought process in selecting the vehicle. Hope you have several thousand miles of safe riding and pleasure.

P.S. I'd vote for Topgun
Thanks Arup. Even I am inclined towards Topgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

Koncept Auto arranged for an appointment for me to take the vehicle to their Okhla service center which exclusively caters to Scorpios and XUVs. Will get it checked and update you on the same.
Old 9th February 2012, 12:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy. The mHawk is a gem of an engine. I have never enjoyed driving an SUV as much as I have enjoyed the Scorpio.
Old 9th February 2012, 14:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio in white looks real good, only pain point is keeping it shiny clean is going to be a herculean task.

You TD'ed the XUV as well, how does the lottery system works, does the draw happen every week or every month. What differences you noticed between the XUV and the Scorpio?
Old 9th February 2012, 15:20   #12
BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase. It is really a good vehicle and white looks good and also is easy to maintain. Do post some interior pictures also. Any accessories planned? Wish you many happy and safe miles.
Old 9th February 2012, 17:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

congrats on your purchase. i am looking to go for the Scorpio but the SLE is a big stretch. i feel M&M has underquipped the LX and left a big gap between the 2 models.
they could have put some good to have features and had a model in between given the price difference is about 2 lakhs
Old 10th February 2012, 11:10   #14
BHPian

I'll let you know when im in the mood for sailing....
Old 10th February 2012, 13:09   #15
BHPian

Hi there , congrats on your scorp and welcome to the club , SLE is VFM buy . Even i had to get the Shim adjusted in my car within 100 odd kms as it was pulling to the left .

Most Viewed