Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2006, 20:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
My baleno got lightly tapped by a dreaming clown in an esteem at maybe 10 Kph and the bumber collapsed and half fell down.
Story of My life!!

The amount of money me and my friends have spent replacing the bumpers of the Maruthi cars in our stable is not funny! Dare say I dont even dare to SNEEZE next to it!!
Old 30th March 2006, 14:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Story of My life!!

The amount of money me and my friends have spent replacing the bumpers of the Maruthi cars in our stable is not funny! Dare say I dont even dare to SNEEZE next to it!!
i knew about the esteem bumber since i had a 97 vxi ... didn't know baleno was as bad ... MUL gotta address this issue ... one really can't avoid low speed bumps in our driving conditions... its inevitable that it happen to everyone a few times.

have an optra 1.8 ... the bumper rocks ... a scorpio backed into it the other day...low speed ...but enough to make a maruti bumper fall off ... no dent..no scratch

Last edited by Fiero : 30th March 2006 at 14:54.
Old 31st March 2006, 03:02   #18

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

have been fortunate enough...touchwood...that a car hasnt even touched my optra till now(sounds very erotic....touched..sorry for the word) so cant comment but can comment on the ikons bumpers.have had an accent,esteem,nhc rear ending it.all the cars front bumpers & grills fell off but all the ikon left with, was a slight scar while the others wud be waitin fo the bumpers to be put back on.
reminds me of a joke my dad made....these days we are drivin so cautiously to even protect our cars bumpers whereas bumpers were actuallly made to protect the cars...that from now on we shud hang used rubber tyres on all sides like boats,tugboats use.
Old 1st April 2006, 13:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

I own a Fiesta and a alto guy hit me from behind. and there was not a single scratch on bumber. Though alto bumber came off.

Have experienced same with opel and GM cars. Bumper never comes off. There is a thread here in team bhp in which there are pics of skoda and Optra accident and both are damaged but thier bumbers are still on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
have been fortunate enough...touchwood...that a car hasnt even touched my optra till now(sounds very erotic....touched..sorry for the word) so cant comment but can comment on the ikons bumpers.have had an accent,esteem,nhc rear ending it.all the cars front bumpers & grills fell off but all the ikon left with, was a slight scar while the others wud be waitin fo the bumpers to be put back on.
reminds me of a joke my dad made....these days we are drivin so cautiously to even protect our cars bumpers whereas bumpers were actuallly made to protect the cars...that from now on we shud hang used rubber tyres on all sides like boats,tugboats use.
Old 3rd April 2006, 15:21   #20
BANNED

Sigh. Looks like it's my turn to add to the Optra bumper stories...have been trying hard to keep the car scratchless/dentless till now.

I was trying to negotiate a horrible snarl (regular business as usual) at 7 Bungalows in the late evening, when an idiot biker riding triple seat tried to cut me off from the opposite direction. Of course, he couldn't stop on time, and ended up with his passengers on the road, and his bike stuck under my front bumper with him stuck underneath.

I thought the bumper would pretty much be cracked. Believe it or not, I actually thought about this thread the moment it happened.

Anyways, public got into the act because the bike/car combo had pretty much brought all traffic to a complete halt. We pulled the biker free and then tried getting his bike out. No luck, his stand had wedged itself in such a way under my bumper that all the pulling and shoving wouldn't help. Then they asked me to try reversing. I obliged, and the bike got dragged halfway across the road. Then finally, with 5 guys pulling on one end and me reversing on the other, the damn bike finally came loose.

I had some horrible visions of what my bumper would look like now and how much I'd love to shove it up the biker dude's exhaust pipe, but the next morning when I took it to my mechanic, he was able to do some serious damage control.

One part had been dented. He just put his hand in and shoved it out again. The bumper had also come down slightly on one side, which he fixed again. The bike had left a few gashes in the paint job, which he painted over, and then used Turtle wax to polish and buff. Now you can only see the damage if you're looking out for it.

My family thought I was crazy because I had mentioned a very bad bump, and when they went to check it out they saw almost nothing!

Last edited by Boom Shiva : 3rd April 2006 at 15:22.
Old 3rd April 2006, 19:29   #21
BHPian

As always there are not all good stories to tell....

A friend of mine, while parking his car at his house, rammed the car to the wall (at parking pace, may be a little faster) Nice bill of Rs 51000 /- ONLY....believe me...no jokes no typos....the ac compressor was damaged and needed replacement....After the insurance claims he coughed up around 10K.

Is the AC compressor so close to the bumper?
Old 9th February 2007, 02:28   #22
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Cielo bumper's inside honeycomb design (top pic) to resist impact...
Due to cost issue, Optra bumper's (bottom pic) is solid blocks...
Both do the same job but Cielo's bumper was very expensive if I remember..
Yep - front bumper about 34k in 1995, if I recall correctly. And not available anywhere even then.
Old 9th February 2007, 08:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Yep - front bumper about 34k in 1995
Was the Cielo/Nexia there then!?? I thought it came into the market sometime in 1997-98
Old 9th February 2007, 09:55   #24
BHPian

yeah the other day at the airport parking lot while waiting for the parking ticket a guy in baleno instead of engaging the first gear went into reverse and banged straight into my car(fiesta1.6) his rear bumper fell of and had a dent luckily no damage to my car not even a scratch
Old 9th February 2007, 10:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

My Baleno's rear bumper seems to be the only Baleno that has survived a bump - ref 'Baleno Bumper Issue' thread.
Old 9th February 2007, 10:44   #26
BHPian

Aveo-UVA and OPTRA specify (as a security feature) that their bumpers are 2kmph/4kmph crash proof. Probably this means that in the event of low speed crash bumper survives. This must be reason why they are not affected in collision mentioned in this thread.
Old 9th February 2007, 14:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
Was the Cielo/Nexia there then!?? I thought it came into the market sometime in 1997-98
The Cielo was launched in 1995 with deliveries starting around June-July that year & the Nexia was launched in late-98 or early 99.
Old 15th February 2007, 08:49   #28
IMP
BHPian

I also have experienced the resistant design of the bumper, these bumpers are really well made, i can remember of 4 light knocks , from cars, 2 from motorcyclewallahs, to my car, but there is no sign of damage at all, except for one where a wagon r with an L board grazed the right rear, tearing off the paint, the shape of the bumper is still top notch though.

Check with any optra, when you press hard on the rear bumper it readily bends in and then it hits some cushioning material, you can feel it. I think thats what the material structure is as shown by Rudra.
Old 15th February 2007, 10:18   #29
IMP
BHPian

I too have experienced the durability of the optra rear bumper, Man its tough, well soft actually, thats why it survives, it has a double skin, i mean the outer plastic is very bendable, and on the inside at about 1-1.5 cm there is the absorbent material Rudraji has shown (never knew about the structure though!) this makes it absorb the minor hits, with no visible signs of damage and may i add and makes it pricier?

I have had 3 minor hits with cars and 2 with bikes from the rear, and one more when the driver was alone, there is no damage, only if you see with your nose touching the paint, minor paint irregularities crop up. Shape of the bumper is intact.

Interestingly the front bumper is not so flexible, infact it feels hard.
Old 15th February 2007, 10:53   #30
BHPian

My santro was hit by an autorickshaw and I heard a loud noise. I got down and started shouting at him. While getting back into the car I noticed that there was no damage at all .. :-)
And since its not a body colored bumper, there were not any visible marks also.

Most Viewed