Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 11:18   #1
BHPian

One more Hyundai i10 AT experience

Last summer saw a new addition to our garage. The Hyundai i10AT. My wife’s struggles with the MT finally culminated in opting for the AT. It is been a good nine months and 5000kms with the i10. There are quite a few i10AT ownership threads and a few from the mighty mods as well. I don’t really think I have anything more to add than those threads, hence thought, I will look at the i10 through the prism of my other car which also is incidentally a hatchback, the Ford Figo Tdci. I shouldn’t be comparing a diesel and petrol hatchback but still…One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-0.jpg,One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-5.jpg,One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-1.jpg

The car in question is i10AT sportz variant with sufficient features to keep me happy but does miss the ABS and airbags. The car is in stock condition without any modifications till now.

I have never liked the looks of the present i10. The old one with its neat flowing lines was simple compared to the new one with slashes and cuts here and there. The sides and back are neat. The tall boy stance is not so pronounced as in Santro or Wagon R. It looks more compact and and in a perpetual ready to go stance. Having said that, the new design is slowly growing over me!. The Figo on the other hand is a dated, dull but clean design. Put alongside todays’ hatchbacks she belongs to another era. No snob value at all. I do like the clean lines but the clean lines in the Polo are more contemporary.

One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-2.jpg,
One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-3.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	1195
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	885481

I don’t really see any difference in the plastic material between the Figo and i10 save for the color and texture. The finish, however is definitely better in i10. There are no sharp edges, all neatly rounded off. The interiors of the i10 come in different shades with chrome bits here and there which gives it a nice cheery feel compared to the black expanse in Figo. The seats are also light beige, so car looks very bright. So far it has been easy to maintain and hopefully stays that way. The plastic however is prone to scratches. The music system too feels better integrated into the dash, the brush metal finish on the facia is very nice. Only the volume button is a little stretch for me. It would be better if it were in the centre. The sound quality though is much better in Figo. Even the FM reception is not very good in i10. But it does provide a USB port(very useful) and aux-in with a nice recess below for the ipod. The Sportz variant does not have Bluetooth which is there in the Asta variant. Leather wrapped steering looks and feels nice. The gearstick is chrome tipped and handful, feels nice to grip. I10 also provides two 12v charge points, one on the dash and one near the handbrake lever. Figo titanium does not provide USB port but has Bluetooth(again very useful)and only one 12V charge point. I think the newer Titaniums are coming with the USB port.
One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-7.jpg

Two 12V Charge points
One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-8.jpg
One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-9.jpg

Plastic prone to scratches
One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-11.jpg
One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-12.jpg

Front seats have adequate space, seats are good. Backseat leg space though less than the Figo is sufficient for me. The i10 sportz has adjustable headrestraints and rear power windows both of which which is missing in the Figo Titanium. Bootspace again is more in the Figo. Both boots have lamps as well. Both have them have rear wiper and defogger and electric ORVMs.

Adjustable head restraints
One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-10.jpg
One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-img_0238.jpg

Purely by the “weighty” feel , the Figo is better built. But, frankly I feel the i10 is much better put together. In the last eight months, there has not been a single rattle or squeak in the car. Everything seems to fit well and is finished well. Whereas, in the Figo it has been a rattly,squeaky journey for the last 1 ½ yrs with the dashboard rattle still to be settled. The NVH control is also better in the i10. In the Figo, it is not just the engine sound (diesel,of course) there are lot of other mechanical sounds filtering in to the cabin.

Start the engine and it settles into a very silent whirl. Engine noise is well controlled unless given the stick. The auto however is sluggish to respond. If I stomp the pedal, nothing happens. It is only after a pause all the power is released like a bow string. However it is quite fine if I accelerate gradually. Gearshifts are smooth but perceptible and seem to be occurring early at 2000-2500rpms. So overtaking needs to be planned. If you are stuck midway on overtaking and want a sudden surge, you are in a bit of trouble. This is my first AT car. Initially I found it very irritating, but now having got used to her response, I have adjusted to gradually accelerating the car.

Handling seems to be a sore point with many hyundais , but for the speed I achieve (60-80kmph) and for the mild turns I face on my everyday drive, I have had no problems. I have not tested her on any twisty roads. She doesn’t feel all that stable though, I don’t feel very confident to take her beyond 100kmph. I suppose changing the tyres should improve this. There have been many complaints about the Hyundais dishing out rough rides here. The i10, I felt is ok on the front seat. The back seat occupants do have a complaint about mild toss on the rough roads. There is also a fair bit of bobbing on mild undulations in the road. Steering feedback is poor. Initially it was very vague, but now it is much better, probably I have adjusted to the car. The good thing is, it is not very light and lifeless as I felt it in i20. But, on two or three occasions, I felt the steering becoming very heavy & rigid on backing into a tight spot. I have not had the steering rattle problem that plagues many i20s till now.

On handling, stability and steering feedback, Figo is something else. It is quite stable and with the precise handling and steering feedback, the feeling of control is immense and she is pure joy to drive. The Figo’s ride, from the front seat is, better than the i10. The breaks too are better in the Figo, but for the speeds achieved in cities, i10 brakes are sufficient. Higher speeds on the highway may be another story.

Now, for the fuel efficiency. The i10 averages about 10 – 10.5kmpl. Max I have been able to get out of her is 11 during December without the AC. I hope one of the many manufacturers in India would consider a Diesel hatch AT sooner. First service was free as there was nothing to be changed, only the checking and the wash. Second service at 9months/5000kms at costed Rs 1350.

What I liked most about the i10 is that in the last nine months it has not given me a single problem, minor or major. Not a squeak, not a rattle, no hiccups, just does whatever she is told to do. Whereas the Figo, eventhough has not had any major problems, it did have many squeaks and rattles right from the first month and a front tyrewell rattle required changing right front shock absorber as well. Eventhough I shouldn’t be generalizing based on a one car experience, Hyundai seems to have better quality controls in its manufacturing process.

Overall, as long as fuel costs are not a big bother, the i10 AT seems to be the perfect hatch for the city use. But, come morning which car do I want to take to the office? The Ford Figo, of course! because each time I drive the figo I have this on my face

Some more photos,
Nice handle
One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-6.jpg

Guard plate for engine oil sump in i10
One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-p1040793.jpg

Naked in Figo
One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-p1040805.jpg

Open screws in i10
One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-p1040796.jpg

Neatly covered in Figo
One more Hyundai i10 AT experience-p1040810.jpg

Last edited by Deep Blue : 10th February 2012 at 21:45.
Deep Blue is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 13:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: One more Hyundai i10 AT experience

Is 10-10.5 kmpl FE only for the city driving? Since you are in Udupi, I am assuming that the traffic is not 'bumper to bumper' like in bigger cities. Did you find out the highway FE as well?
Old 10th February 2012, 14:34   #3
BANNED

@Guna; Udupi traffic is not bumper to bumper but the narrow roads and tight turns see to it that you are unable to get a decent economy. My son has been in the area (Manipal) since 1997 and has had cars since 1999. If his Zen (carb) got 9kpl we considered to be good, similar is true for his subsequent Alto VX, and current Swift ZXi and Santro.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 21:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is 10-10.5 kmpl FE only for the city driving? Since you are in Udupi, I am assuming that the traffic is not 'bumper to bumper' like in bigger cities. Did you find out the highway FE as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Guna; Udupi traffic is not bumper to bumper but the narrow roads and tight turns see to it that you are unable to get a decent economy. My son has been in the area (Manipal) since 1997 and has had cars since 1999. If his Zen (carb) got 9kpl we considered to be good, similar is true for his subsequent Alto VX, and current Swift ZXi and Santro.
It is only for city driving. I have not taken it in highways till now. Udupi roads are much better now. Much of the main roads have a median with two lanes on each side. Traffic is not bumper to bumper but unruly traffic not following lane discipline does limit speeds. Even earlier, when it was narrrow with tight turns, I used to average 16kmpl in my Alto LX. My Figo D gives me an average of 16-17kmpl in Udupi.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 10th February 2012 at 21:07.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 15:21   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11th February 2012, 16:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
It is only for city driving. I have not taken it in highways till now. Udupi roads are much better now. Much of the main roads have a median with two lanes on each side. Traffic is not bumper to bumper but unruly traffic not following lane discipline does limit speeds. Even earlier, when it was narrrow with tight turns, I used to average 16kmpl in my Alto LX. My Figo D gives me an average of 16-17kmpl in Udupi.
10 kmpl is a very low FE in these driving conditions. Gap in the FE between the manual and auto variants seems to be big (much more then 2 kmpl)
Thanks for the detailed pictures.
Old 11th February 2012, 17:46   #7
BHPian

Two of my colleagues using the manual i10 have FEs of 9-10 and 10-11kmpl. Compared to that I am very lucky. But have Hyundai petrol hatches right from the Santro ever been efficient as the Marutis? Somehow Hyundai seems to have managed to persuade us FE obsessed Indians to gloss over this. Fiat couldnt do so with the Palio.
Old 11th February 2012, 18:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Two of my colleagues using the manual i10 have FEs of 9-10 and 10-11kmpl. Compared to that I am very lucky. But have Hyundai petrol hatches right from the Santro ever been efficient as the Marutis? Somehow Hyundai seems to have managed to persuade us FE obsessed Indians to gloss over this. Fiat couldnt do so with the Palio.
The low FE in the manual i10 is definitely a problem among many i10 owners, whether they own an auto or manual i10. By the grace of God (and Goa ), I have been blessed by a much better FE on my i10. Refer to my post for complete FE details:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2666772

Having said that, I would be interested to know if all AUTO variants of a car generate such a high difference in FE (much lesser) as compared with their MANUAL siblings (ex: manual/auto A Star)? Or is this the case only with Hyundai or the i10?

I love the concept of the auto i10 (a city marvel + the benefits of auto transmission), especially since it would have greatly benefited my wife, but the thought of attaining a measly 9-10 kmpl (as has been recorded by other auto i10 users) simply puts me off.

Last edited by misquitas : 11th February 2012 at 18:47.
Old 11th February 2012, 18:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, surely this hyundai will serve you for long long time. This is one of the cutest automatics currently available under budget. Although we (me and my wife) prefer manuals over automatics but when she drove the i10 she was pleasantly happy with the cuteness, and ease of use.

So between the two is it a even match, as both seem to have something extra then the other and at the same time miss on something else?
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 22:24   #10
BHPian

Congrats on the car. . Wish you unlimited miles of happy and safe driving!!

Your experiences with both the cars are like carbon copy of mine. The only difference being the MT I10 sportz (2010) in my family. The car is surely well put together. And holds well for daily abuse. The i10 is better finished inside & out. The plastic panels, door beading, carpets everything inside is a snug fit. But, As you said plastics are prone to scratch more so the transparent one over the ICE screen. Figo seems to be built in a hurry. The locks and clips which hold the panels seems poor in design and result in rattles & squeaks.

In the i10, the music system is placed to high for my liking, as i need to stretch my arm every time to operate it. I prefer the position in the figo, where i could control its functions, keeping my palm on the gear knob. The figo has better bass and treble and sounds complete.

Yes, the figo is rattly and squeaky when compared to the i10, but covers up in the ride, comfort, handling and dynamics department. The i10 is good @ city speeds but the steering and chassis does not incite to try its limits.

On the pricing front, i believe the i10 is little bit overpriced as compared to the similar trims of the figo.
Old 12th February 2012, 12:44   #11
BHPian

@ misquitas - You are one lucky i10 owner atleast regards to FE. Most i10 owners I met are little grumpy when it comes to FE.
@blowhornok - The general opinion here is i10 plastics are very good. I didnt find it any better than Figo, just that it is a different color and definitely better finished. I too felt the i10 is slighlty overpriced. If I were to choose a MT petrol hatch, between the two, I would still go for Figo. Or better still look at the Marutis, they would give me a better FE.
Old 12th February 2012, 14:44   #12
BHPian

The i10 (petrol) FE is around 12-13kmpl with 90% AC and 100% city conditions. Whereas the Figo (Diesel) is hovering around 18.5kmpl with 70% AC and 100% City driving. Have you faced any situation where the figo scrapes its bottom at a given hump and the i10 doesn't?
Old 13th February 2012, 00:19   #13
BHPian

There is one particular hump at the exit of a ramp from my parking lot in the hospital. The Figo bottoms out if there are two people on the front particularly if I brake late. If I am the only occupant, the mudflaps graze if I slow just before the hump.
No such problems with i10. It has always cleared that hump. I have not driven the i10 on any bad roads, but till now I have never scraped the i10's underside.
Old 2nd May 2012, 23:29   #14
BHPian

Recently I had an oppurtunity to take the i10 on a highway run. A 400km round trip to Kannur and back. i hated it. The acceleration is quite slow. Overtaking long trucks is a pain, specially if the approach speed is slow. It takes its own sweet time to respond, that I am left praying that nothing comes from the opposite side. Even if I am in a good clip, If I am caught behind a slow moving vehicle, after overtaking, it takes a long time to close gaps.
I have had no issues with the handling, but ride is indeed more bumpier than the Figo but tolerable. I dont think I crossed 80-90 speeds, so cant comment on high speed stability. At these speeds it was okay but not very encouraging to go faster.
Not checked the highway FE
I have completed the second service and about 7000+ kms and have had no issues with the car till date.
Old 2nd May 2012, 23:38   #15
BHPian

Hey Sundeep did not know about your i10 purchase!!in fact my wife saw you and your wife one day but as the vehicle was not your figo, she did not recognize you!!

Overall i would any day opt for the figo!!in terms of driving pleasure, i still love it whenever i drive my friend's figo.i have never ever got bored of it!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks