Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 22:58   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acinonyx

Thanks Rohit for this comment. Well even my daughter sits on the center armrest, but I keep driving her away to the backseat. These kids do feel lonely in the middle seat due to space and it is quite far behind. One thing we did while on the drive to Chennai was fortunately I had taken the ipad along and she watched some cartoons and movies in it. I am seriously considering a rear headrest video display and will have to figure out how to make the DVD run while on the move.
So you will need to find something to keep her engaged and as well as buckled in the rear seat.
The other thing you could consider is a soft blanket kind of cloth to put on the middle row floor, in case she wants to sleep there!
Yes we are in the same boat lol. She too is an iPad addict and it's quite useful for the long trips. But for short lazy evening hangouts she is now allotted the front passenger seat. And yes soft blanket is a permanent part of our long drives now. I was thinking of a wall mounted iPad stand to bypass the lock mechanism of DVD while driving as most of the videos are already on the iPad.
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:28   #47
BHPian

Re: Cheetah comes home - Mahindra XUV500 W8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acinonyx View Post
I am seriously considering a rear headrest video display and will have to figure out how to make the DVD run while on the move.
So you will need to find something to keep her engaged and as well as buckled in the rear seat.
The other thing you could consider is a soft blanket kind of cloth to put on the middle row floor, in case she wants to sleep there!
Hi Acinonyx. Congratulations on your ride. It looks good. Your review is very nicely done; I especially like the pictures.
The rust is just unbelievably ridiculous. M&M should be ashamed; perhaps with so much demand they don't care. But thanks for sharing the pictures. Future buyers (like myself) can check for this during PDI and get it fixed.

Do you also find the head room a little less than expected? I find the head room to be a little cramped. I obviously didn't try this in a test drive, but it felt like if I were to drive over a bump, I'll hit my head on the roof. Did you ever feel that way?

Quote:
I am seriously considering a rear headrest video display and will have to figure out how to make the DVD run while on the move.
Why not just stick with the iPad? Backrest/seat-back mounted displays tend to be expensive, require a fair bit of work with wiring and permanent changes to the upholstery (tearing up the seat back to fit the screen etc) and are very specific to the card. The tablet (iOS or Android, I am not picking sides here), does much more, requires no permanent changes in the car and goes with you. Its good that you aren't able to run the DVD while in motion; one less distraction while driving.

Quote:
Since you cannot use the seat-belt while on the floor, its not safe to leave anyone un-restrained, especially kids. Many years ago, I've seen my nephew go flying (figurative speech) all the way across the Maruti van and hit the dash board when his father had to brake suddenly. Fortunately nothing happened, but it could've been really bad. When we travel in the car now, seat belts are used no matter what. My son is used to it (thanks also to the US) and knows its good for him.
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
But for short lazy evening hangouts she is now allotted the front passenger seat.
Hi Rohit, the front seat on a car equipped with frontal air bags is not a safe place for young children. The air bags open quite violently (since they have to inflate very quickly) and cause burns on the skin as the bag rubs against the skin during inflation. I've see this on a friend who rear ended another car (while talking on the cell phone and driving). He wasn't hurt in any other way, but a child would have been hurt by the inflating airbag because young children are so much lighter. Typically the safest place for little kids is in the middle seat in the second row. Another cartoon or another round of Angry Birds (or their favorite book) is a better bargain to keep them quiet in the rear seat.
Here is an informative write-up on child safety.
CDC Features - Child Passenger Safety

Last edited by timetraveller : 22nd February 2012 at 23:46. Reason: Fixed spelling typo.
timetraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 21:01   #49
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Acinonyx, a very belated congratulations for the XUV. It looks super-cool in Silver. Not sure, how I missed this thread for so long. Somehow if I search for "XUV" (search titles only), this thread does not pop up.

Anyways, some really fantastic pictures there. Especially loved the night shots. I have been struggling with night shots, so I can imagine the amount of effort and technique it takes to come out with good night-shots.

PS: Its been almost 5 months since you updated the thread. Would love to hear your experiences over the past months.
Old 22nd July 2012, 21:37   #50
BHPian

Congrats on the Silver XUV. Love that colour!

Honest and frank opinion - except 91.jpg and 83.jpg, other snaps give a bad impression of the interiors. I really feel, only good snaps should be put up on the forums to give the actual feel of the way. Ur snaps dont do justice to the vehicle.
Old 22nd July 2012, 22:31   #51
BHPian

I am sorry. Dint see the snaps on the 1st post. Awesome snaps
Old 8th August 2012, 21:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
https://picasaweb.google.com/1146916...30589016936690

My AWD windshield reflection was reduced temporarily to some extent by placing a Non-slip mat in matt black on the reflecting surface, it works. You can check out in FB too for the add ons.

https://www.facebook.com/drjonesjones
sorry for being OT here... but what lights are those on your bumper? are they smoked fog lamps? or just regular smoked lights? they look really good in the pics and goes well with black XUV.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 13:03   #53
BHPian

Hi Magikrider, They are "Hella Magic Black" lights fitted on a clamp from inside the grill. They are very good, look black normally but glow in white when switched on.Glad you like it.
drjones is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 12:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones
Hi Magikrider, They are "Hella Magic Black" lights fitted on a clamp from inside the grill. They are very good, look black normally but glow in white when switched on.Glad you like it.
Those lights look awesome. Can u post some pics with the lights on? Also can u share info on the fitting i.e are these fitted without any drilling etc on the grill and whether there r any issues with electronics due to these (sorry I am noob and want to be careful before I try something)? Also please share costs
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 00:26   #55

Dear Fellow BHPians,

Well after my initial posts I have been not having the time to update on my Cheetah. I have sparingly used the car as the running has been really less - office and back home and since my office is close by not much got added to the ODO after my initial Chennai trip. In between we have had a new addition to my family and things have been busy on the personal front. We did a trip in Dec 2012 to Coorg and the drive was great. With the baby safely secured in the car seat and the car was great boon with plenty of space for my elder daughter as well.

Well almost 1 year of niggle free ride with my Cheetah! Niggle free ! ? Did I say, oh well enter 2013 and things have not been going good with the car. Currently I have just clocked 13K on my car and never revved it too hard or tried any stunts or got a single scratch on it. It is as good as new!
But, the latest incident(#3 below) left me completely flabbergasted and I should say the reliability factor on a scale of 10 should be rated 2 or 3 maximum. Let me explain the sequence of problems that I came across, all starting in 2013 exactly a year and 2 months of purchase.

1. Headlamps : One day in Feb2013 I realized while standing outside with the LED lights on, that one of them has gone kaput. Well, I promptly called up the service center and then got the problem rectified. After getting the car back I realized that the high beam on one of headlamps has stopped working. Again returned it back for service with an earful to the RM and then the car was returned with the other LED lights gone kaput! Each time I gave the car for a minor rectification it was returned only the next day. With one LED lights off I decided it is best I leave it as is, and did not return it for servicing and decided to live with it!

2. Clutch Assembly: I know of the infamous clutch problem in the XUV and I was a bit skeptical whether it would surface in my car and Loo Alas ! it did. I was a Saturday afternoon in Mar and I had to rush to drop my mother in law at the airport and while reversing the car from the parking and then engaging in first gear ,& guess what!!! the clutch got completely stuck to the bottom of the clutch well! It left my adrenalin racing as I knew immediately the problem and that this means big problem. Since I did not have time and had to get to the airport, I took the chance and pulled the clutch out with my hands, and again pumped it in quickly and engaged second gear directly, the car jumped ! and squealed and my parents who were standing outside looked confused as to what I was upto. Fortunately the clutch pedal came back to the normal position and I started to drive towards the airport. I slowly changed the gear to 3rd and the 4th without using the clutch completely(maybe 1/4th depressed) and drove all the way at constant speed without any more gear shifts to the airport. In Bangalore there is fortunately a back route to the airport from Whitefield and it was less crowded on that Saturday. I took the chance of using the brakes alone and “shuddering” the car over the speed bumps without wanting to change the gear. It was hairy one hour drive, but we did reach the airport and then I called my RM. He told me to bring the car driving it slowly to the service center. This time while riding back I did change the gear couple of times and it worked okay. On reaching and examining he told me to leave the car and that it will take a couple of days to get it fixed, i.e. replace the complete clutch assembly. I got the car after 3 whole days(excluding the Sunday) and meanwhile I since had got the recall letter from Mahindra, I instructed the RM to carry out all the necessary replacements. This incident made me permanently change my perception of the car. It is unreliable! What if this had happened in our Coorg trip with our Baby!
Infact I know of this clutch problem in the XUV , I had repeatedly asked my RM earlier, can this be rectified in my car as it is in the first batch, but no, he says it is a problem with a few vehicles and if the problems does come the company will replace it free of cost! Well he or Mahindra does not realize the importance of any preventive maintenance, when they know that a part has a problem! Well in my case I have lost the confidence in the XUV!

3. Accessory belt : Well the final nail in the coffin on the reliability factor! I should say. This prompted me to get back to my ownership thread!

Day before yesterday I had long day at office I heard a hard tap noise, while driving the car out of the office parking area at 8pm! I thought I hit something underneath, I got out of the car and could not see anything below. I got back in and started to drive and immediately realized that the steering has become rock hard. Something has gone wrong with the power steering. I stopped the car again and tried to restart but to no avail, the power steering does not work. I had a tough time driving the car back home. Though a short distance it was tough to turn the car around the corners.! Reaching home I usually park by reversing and after getting out I see a broken belt from the engine bay! See pic!

Cheetah comes home - Mahindra XUV500 W8-dsc_0357.jpg
Broken belt thankfully did not get entangled inside
Called RM and he explained to me that due to the siren touching the accessory belt, the belt got cut!. The belt connects the engine and the auxiliary units, compressor etc. which powers the power steering, AC etc. I called up 24X7 breakdown to get the vehicle delivered to the service station that very night at 11:30pm.
From yesterday I am in touch with the RM and he says that part (belt is not available). It has been 2 days and I am still to get back my car! This is the first time I know of an engine belt giving way, normally belts that run the pulleys in the engine are supposed to be strong and withstand high temperatures and it normally becomes elongated over period of time, but not cut like this!
Well, the initial euphoria on the car has died down. Usually people ask me about the car and as usual, I tell it is a great car, worth the money and the space and power, great family car with awesome looks etc. I had indeed formed this great opinion, since I did not face any major issue apart from the loose bolt on the front suspension, which I attribute to initial PDI problem. But well this was in 2012!
Today if anyone does ask me for an opinion, I would not probably say the same again. I can simply put one word to this – Unreliable! Well if am a bachelor and ready for a great adventurous life, well maybe this is the perfect car! But no I am a family man with a baby and a child, I do not want to make it any more adventurous.
The #2 and #3 above are serious problems that can get you stranded on a highway in nomansland on a midnight, or can get you into a serious accident.! Just imagine the belt giving way while you are doing a 120kpmh on this machine! Well in that sense I am lucky! Both of these happened in the city! While #2 was something that I was expecting to happen to my car, but #3 took me by complete surprise! On enquiring with the RM it seems like a known issue! Well if it was known that the siren touches the belt why was this not rectified or informed to the customer by the recall letter?
There are 2 options in front of me now! Sell this and buy a Japanese car! Or wait for some more time as my usage is less and hopefully all the problems in my car get resolved overtime as Mahindra re-designs certain parts! I will probably go with the latter and give it a second chance! as this car serves my purpose, provided it all works well, properly.

Come on Mahindra! You have a long way to go! You could have concentrated on making it more reliable, rather than providing excessive features.

Signing off for now!
Acinonyx
Acinonyx is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 16:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

Sad to know the ordeal you had to go through. It is fair that you have lost the trust in the brand.

As you said, when these are known issues, M&M should have taken preventive measures to stop this from happening. I have always been reading about M&M recalling the vehicles to change the wiper blades, headlights, ORVMs, etc. Wonder why these crucial parts were left out in the recall.

However, since these are known issues and once taken care of, they wont reappear, I hope you will have a smooth sailing hereafter and enjoy your vehicle to the fullest.
Old 10th May 2013, 16:31   #57
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Acinonyx,
Sad to hear the ordeal you had to go through.

I would second Raj_5004's view. With the recall of 3 parts + clutch replace + siren falling off, the major issues are behind you already.

The only additional thing that I would suggest is, chase the RM and customer-care-area-manager to get the Galfer brake pads for the front wheels and also get the brake pedal replaced with the latest design one.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 19:36   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Sad to know the ordeal you had to go through. It is fair that you have lost the trust in the brand.

As you said, when these are known issues, M&M should have taken preventive measures to stop this from happening. I have always been reading about M&M recalling the vehicles to change the wiper blades, headlights, ORVMs, etc. Wonder why these crucial parts were left out in the recall.

However, since these are known issues and once taken care of, they wont reappear, I hope you will have a smooth sailing hereafter and enjoy your vehicle to the fullest.
Hey Raj, thanks for this. I sincerely hope too that most of the problems in my car are taken care of. Well, the car is being delivered right now, eager to get it back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Acinonyx,
Sad to hear the ordeal you had to go through.

I would second Raj_5004's view. With the recall of 3 parts + clutch replace + siren falling off, the major issues are behind you already.

The only additional thing that I would suggest is, chase the RM and customer-care-area-manager to get the Galfer brake pads for the front wheels and also get the brake pedal replaced with the latest design one.
SDP Thanks man. Would Mahindra replace the brakes i.e brake pedal and Galfer brake pads automatically or should I ask for it. I plan to take your suggestion and additionally scan the Team-BHP threads for any additional things I need to do on my car.

Just another thing, I have not lost trust in the brand... as my other car is a Reva and believe me everything works fine in that car. Though bit rudimentary, the design and parts look cheap, the car has just gone for regular servicing only.
Old 10th May 2013, 19:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The #2 and #3 above are serious problems that can get you stranded on a highway in nomansland on a midnight, or can get you into a serious accident.!
Hi Acinonyx,

Very unfortunate to hear this happen and happy that there is no harm done!

It is for this reason and my earlier experience with M&M Scorpios(TWO of them, beat it!!) that I have weaned away from XUV for my next car. Completely unreliable and pathetic QUALITY management.

Sorry to hear the same and hopefully it is over with this episode for you.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 22:04   #60
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....Would Mahindra replace the brakes i.e brake pedal and Galfer brake pads automatically or should I ask for it. I plan to take your suggestion and additionally scan the Team-BHP threads for any additional things I need to do on my car.
Unfortunately M&M is not that proactive. Unless you complain about the brakes, ask for new design pads and pedal, site examples from internet and insist that the change be done for your car as well, I doubt they would do it.

I would suggest talk to your customer-care-area-manager directly and give him a earful about the problems that you have faced and then bring out the brakes topic.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed