Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 22:37   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Acinonyx,

Very unfortunate to hear this happen and happy that there is no harm done!

It is for this reason and my earlier experience with M&M Scorpios(TWO of them, beat it!!) that I have weaned away from XUV for my next car. Completely unreliable and pathetic QUALITY management.

Sorry to hear the same and hopefully it is over with this episode for you.
Yes hopefully things get resolved. I got my car today and now it feels super smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Unfortunately M&M is not that proactive. Unless you complain about the brakes, ask for new design pads and pedal, site examples from internet and insist that the change be done for your car as well, I doubt they would do it.

I would suggest talk to your customer-care-area-manager directly and give him a earful about the problems that you have faced and then bring out the brakes topic.
SDP thanks for all the info. i am posting my siren pic here as I had instructed the RM to remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Acinonyx,

Very unfortunate to hear this happen and happy that there is no harm done!

It is for this reason and my earlier experience with M&M Scorpios(TWO of them, beat it!!) that I have weaned away from XUV for my next car. Completely unreliable and pathetic QUALITY management.

Sorry to hear the same and hopefully it is over with this episode for you.
Yes hope to get into a situation where things are good again. I got my car back and seems super smooth now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Unfortunately M&M is not that proactive. Unless you complain about the brakes, ask for new design pads and pedal, site examples from internet and insist that the change be done for your car as well, I doubt they would do it.

I would suggest talk to your customer-care-area-manager directly and give him a earful about the problems that you have faced and then bring out the brakes topic.
SDP thanks for the suggestions.
I will take your suggestion and start this process on Monday. I am posting the pictures of the siren.

I got my car delivered now and wanted to have a look this siren.I am surprised how badly damaged it is. I had asked my RM to remove this.
Seeing the shape of this , looks like this has been going on for a long time. I drove the car around a bit and seems super smooth now. Guess what! this could have been hampering a super quiet operation of the vehicle all along and I did not realize , what a pity. From all the damaged siren pictures I have seen so far in the forum, this seems to have taken a real beating.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheetah comes home - Mahindra XUV500 W8-siren.jpg  

Cheetah comes home - Mahindra XUV500 W8-siren2.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 11th May 2013 at 01:51. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
Acinonyx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 09:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

The snapping of the belt is a hairy incident, one I've experienced in my old Scorpio. That was the first gen, non Crde model. I was doing about 50 on a city road when all of a sudden the check engine light came on and I lost all power in the brakes and steering. Suddenly realized that I was, in fact, driving a truck! Took a lot of strength (and will power I feel!) to brake and pull over to the side. I was lucky that the road was not crowded at that time...
Quite disappointing that mahindra haven't fixed such basic things yet. One can live with the stereo conking off, but this kind of issue, maybe not (literally so). Thankfully you got away without it, and as the others have said, hopefully the worst is behind you and you can enjoy the xuv!
Old 4th October 2013, 13:05   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cheetah comes home - Mahindra XUV500 W8

Nice write up acinonyx and fantastic snaps to top it all.

By the way, did you find any solution to the dash board reflection?
Polaroid glasses are an option. However, I also read elsewhere about sticking a Carbon Fibre matt stciker on the glossy part
Old 4th October 2013, 14:15   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
By the way, did you find any solution to the dash board reflection?
Polaroid glasses are an option. However, I also read elsewhere about sticking a Carbon Fibre matt stciker on the glossy part
I used to bothered by the reflections earlier. Not anymore. I just got used to it. :-)
Old 14th October 2013, 21:43   #65

Dear All,

Another event today, has prompted me back to this thread. Today I took car out for about 10 minutes to the nearby grocery shop for a relaxed holiday morning shopping. Well did I say relaxed!... after returning and on entering our apartment complex, it just got a bit more eventful. Suddenly, without warning, the steering started a strange unusual grunt noise and slight vibration on turning into the gate. On driving to the basement parking this “grunting” noise became so evident that even my wife did enquire! After parking I noticed a rather unusual oil spill at the bottom just below the right side of the engine. It was dripping all the way as though we had left bread crumbs on the way! I started the car again and on turning the steering either side, the “grunting” noise became more and more pronounced.

Not expecting too many responses on a holiday I called my RM and thankfully he did return call. With some online help from my RM, I could zero in on the problem- the power steering oil was rather below the minimum level. The oil on the floor was also “pinkish” indicating that the power steering oil has somehow found its way out from the power steering distribution system! He suggested that I should get the vehicle towed again! So Déjà vu! I called the roadside assistance and got my XUV towed. I will need to wait for the updates from the garage hopefully by Wed as I guess tomorrow is a holiday as well.

With today's incident the reliability factor has just gotten worse from my point of view. I have used this car with outmost care till now and this is second major incident. The degradation of the power steering was rather steep, as when the tow vehicle arrived and we drove out of the basement to the gate the noise was unbearable (as it felt as though all the parts of the car would give way) and especially more on the steep turn at the our basement exit. On second thoughts I should have got my camcorder to record this incident. There was no way I could have driven the car to the nearest service center!

This is second time an incident, I feel, if it does happen on the highway or in the country side, could leave one stranded for days! Let alone the safety issue. Anand Mahindra should re-consider recalling the XUV for :
1. Belt issue because of the stupidity with the hooter placement
2. Clutch jamming issue: that I faced earlier
3. Brakes issue.
4. Power steering issue like the one I am facing right now. I have not seen this issue in the “niggles” thread, but hopefully this is an issue with my car only

I feel an appropriate recall for XUV on these aspects were not done according the law of the land(esp #1, #2, #3)! Additionally it should be made transparent to all XUV owners whether these issues have been rectified in their vehicles. Any of the above issues is a safety hazard. Any advice is welcome from fellow team bhpians on this.

Here are some pics!.
Cheetah comes home - Mahindra XUV500 W8-dsc_0191.jpg
XUV on the TOW Truck (Indicated area of Leak)

Cheetah comes home - Mahindra XUV500 W8-dsc_0189.jpg
Area of the Oil Leak(This is power steering Oil)

Cheetah comes home - Mahindra XUV500 W8-dsc_0190.jpg
Notice the amount of Oil spill in 5 minutes. Took this pic as soon as the car was on TOW truck

Cheetah comes home - Mahindra XUV500 W8-dsc_0188.jpg
Another Pic!

Let me also give a perspective on how car has been doing for the past few months after my last update. After the belt issue(BTW I have completely removed the hooter and have not bothered to replace it), I did take the XUV on a long drive in May 2013 to Kerala and the drive and the whole trip was good and XUV had no major issues. Infact the highway driving experience was by far relaxed and as usual with a commanding view of the road, it was enjoyable cruise, I should say. I cannot deny the fact that I was a bit pensive at the thought of the belt or clutch giving way. But with the hooter out of the way it was my way of ensuring that atleast the belt has no issues.

Offlate in the past couple of months, I sent the car twice to the workshop for running repair issues:
1. a jingling noise on the right side front wheel
2. a sputtering noise from the engine.

Both of these issues were identified as autotensioner issue(#1) and catalytic converter issue(for #2) . Since these parts were not readily available, the car was anyway due to be sent this week for replacement of these and also for the next service.

The total ODO of the car :19100Km . I have also captured my average fuel consumption in a log book, which I will share shortly.

Well, what should I say! This car is not certainly for the faint hearted!.

Signing off for now...
Acinonyx
Old 15th October 2013, 00:40   #66
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this. One correction though. This steering oil leak have been reported by many and have been discussed in niggle thread, so this is not something new.
Old 15th October 2013, 08:08   #67
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Surprised to hear this. Steering oil high-pressure hose was part of the official recall and this problem does seem like the exact same component has failed.

Was your vehicle part of the recalled lots?
Old 16th October 2013, 11:41   #68

Quote:
Sorry to hear about this. One correction though. This steering oil leak have been reported by many and have been discussed in niggle thread, so this is not something new.
Thanks Nitinralli, can you point me to the relevant section as I need to know how to understand what the redesinged part entails.

Quote:
Surprised to hear this. Steering oil high-pressure hose was part of the official recall and this problem does seem like the exact same component has failed.

Was your vehicle part of the recalled lots?
Yes, SDP, my XUV was part of the recall and Infact my earlier service center had replaced this part as I had sent my vehicle as part of the recall.

Today I confirmed with my RM that this is the new redesigned hose that has failed. If this is really true then it a big spot of bother for me.

I am not 100% convinced though and I have asked the RM to give me a print of the service history of my vehicle or a picture of this hose. He does not want to send the part back to me as he says that this is under warranty and so the old part is needed to claim warranty.
Old 2nd August 2015, 16:46   #69
BHPian

I hope your experience has been better in the last two years. Thanks for the detailed log, as a new owner of a W8, it will help me keep an eye on things that can go wrong. Mine is not from the New range which was launched recently, so most of the things you experienced will apply to me unless Mahindra has improved the xuv considerably. Only nigle so far in my 500 km of ownership is the rattle in the cover on top of instrument cluster.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks