Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 15:15   #16

Re: Maruti SX4 (Automatic) in a CNG avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
How do you switch fuels? Is there a switch or is there some kind of automatic mechanism?
-AD
In a sequential kit, you dont have to switch fuel types. when you start the engine, it starts on Petrol. it waits for a while to get the engine warmed up. On a typical winter day, it may take approx 2 min. You dont need to wait after you start. You just put the car in the gear and start moving. Once the engine has reached a certain level, it automatically switches to CNG. Most of the times you will not even feel it.

Typically, the retro fitter do two types of setting - on RPM or time. meaning if the engine reaches a certain RPM or after a certain time, the fuel type should switch automatically. but in this kit of mine, i think it is done on engine temperature.

and other thing is that if you are running on CNG and CNG finishes, the car automatically comes to Petrol. If i doesnt beep, you'll not even know about it.
Old 21st February 2012, 17:56   #17
BHPian

even i put a lovato cng kit in my new hyundai accent for 25k. The running cost is Rs 2 per km. runs ok. I am suprised that u get the same performance that in petrol. For me the performance is not as great as petrol, but the savings are huge considering i cover a distance of almost 75 kms everyday in mumbai traffic.

I think the dealer over charged you for the kit. I may be wrong as well. Did u do a price comparision before getting it installed.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
I think the dealer over charged you for the kit. I may be wrong as well. Did u do a price comparision before getting it installed.
Yes, i did compare the kits. there are three types of kits.
a. Open Loop
b. Closed loop
c. Sequential

The open & closed loop systems are cheaper and come in range of 25 to 30 K and operate on mechanical valves. Whereas sequential kits are 3rd generation CNG kits, which come almost double the price and operate with a microprocessor. In sequential CNG systems, many mechanical devices are replaced by a computerized governing system. This CNG kit (sequential) is also used by OEM to factory fit their CNG systems.

using any CNG system type may not have an impact on the economy of the operations but has some benefits in terms of the performance of the vehicle. So, thats the reason why my kit comes more expensive that yours and shows a difference in terms of performance.
Old 21st September 2012, 22:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishsharma View Post
Yes, i did compare the kits. there are three types of kits.
a. Open Loop
b. Closed loop
c. Sequential

The open & closed loop systems are cheaper and come in range of 25 to 30 K and operate on mechanical valves. Whereas sequential kits are 3rd generation CNG kits, which come almost double the price and operate with a microprocessor. In sequential CNG systems, many mechanical devices are replaced by a computerized governing system. This CNG kit (sequential) is also used by OEM to factory fit their CNG systems.
Is it also that open loop and closed loop kits are based on carburattor mechanism and sequential is like MPFI with injectors?

Also do they need to configure the sequential kit with a laptop? If yes can we also have a map to boost power WITH sacrificing economy a bit? We are petroheads at heart!
Old 24th September 2012, 15:53   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post
Is it also that open loop and closed loop kits are based on carburattor mechanism and sequential is like MPFI with injectors?

Also do they need to configure the sequential kit with a laptop? If yes can we also have a map to boost power WITH sacrificing economy a bit? We are petroheads at heart!
Yes, you are right. the sequential kits are operated / managed by a laptop connected to the controller. I saw the guy tuning the graph on his laptop. this graph lets you control the fuel intake based on the RPM. And so, if you want better performance by sacrificing economy, you can do that here. My car is tuned exactly the same way. I get 15 Km/kg, which could be increased to 18Km/Kg if i dont worry about the performance. But then i dont want to loose this experience

Side Update: My car is now done 17K Kms with CNG kit fitted in it. The experience is still good (same as the first day). Out of the 17K, i can safely assume 15K on CNG. With a saving of Rs 5 per KM, i can now say that the cost of the kit is recovered a few thousand Kms back. i'm now saving on the Kms run.
vishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 18:42   #21
BHPian

How does you car handle load + a climbing road, say with 4 passengers and climbing a ghat. I have seen CNG cabs struggling at times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks