Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 13:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)

Congratulations, that's a butch looking SUV you got there. Although i have never driven or sat in one, have read many stories of wonderful road capabilities of this SUV. Will be watching this thread for all your adventures in future.

As @download said, Pajero's are favorite when it comes to getting stolen (Not sure why) so please bear that in mind.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 14:51   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice truck, and one that's built to last. The ride quality is one of the main reasons why someone would choose a Pajero over the bumpy Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Do make sure that you upgrade/install some good anti-theft mechanism. Pajero's are notoriously easy to steal.
That's a great tip! I believe Mitsubishi showrooms offer an immobiliser (that is, at many times, clubbed with the discounts package).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 15:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Congrats on your new purchase. As you said it is certainly a looker even though old just like Safari. What all mods you have planned and wish you many happy and safe miles. And do post more pictures.
Thanks! ICE would be first mod but not immediate. While doing 5K service - will mostly change to K&N or Green Cotton Filter along with switching to Synthetic oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Congratulations, its one mighty beast & a true through-bred.

Not intending to dampen the spirit but did you know about a new Pajero launching this season? Also feel you should have bargained a little more for a sweeter deal.

Can anybody shed light on Pajero's spares & maintainence costs?
Thanks! Yes - I was very well aware of that as stated in my earlier thread (BS III or IV). After seeing the Sport making rounds in Thailand - decided to not pursue which looks like a outlander - which no where comes close to current Paj looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Congrats on the Paj, always liked the two tone color combo, any particular reasons for not going with the red/white combo, it looks classic Pajero

Disconnected Speedo just for he distance from the stockyard to dealer showroom is lame, hope your PDI was thorough, and those scuffing on the tires looks horrible, even if you drive for 100+ kms you dont scuff the sides like that, but then again now that you have changed it does not matter. I guess the left pulling maybe due to castor alignment or did you check if the Michelin have been put correctly consideirng they have "Outside" marking on the sidewall.
Thanks! In fact I wanted the Grey/ White combo but home ministry was firm on Black/ White - so settled with that!

On the disconnected speedo & tyre chipping - Yes - it's something fishy. But - I have done thorough PDI and also verified the VIN - it's a Jan 2012 manufactured vehicle. I think - these folks must have used it as a test drive vehicle for few days.

Left pulling has been resolved by the service center - as a "good will". They added 2 shims & adjusted camber & caster to resolve it. There were no issues with the Tyre orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
Is there a 'NEW' Pajero coming....? Or is it a new variant of the same old Pajero with added frills...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Yes there have been news of a 2012 Pajero coming and i think it looks more like the Montero with 147kW of power at 3800rpm and 441Nm of torque.

But Mahesh nothing to dampen your spirits, this buy was spot on for your requirements
Thanks! Yes - it meets my requirements very well and I knew about the Paj Sport - which I will never buy for that look paying close to 30 Lacs. It's rumoured to be launched in next few weeks. I am just coming from their service center - and the technicians are already trained on this vehicle in their Chennai plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
Wow! Looks awesome! Congrats on your Pajero maheshramaling.

This is the 2012 Pajero in the Australian market. The Indian one looks different.

Please see the full review below.

Mitsubishi Pajero Review | 2012 VRX 3.2 Diesel | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications

DELHI AUTO EXPO 2012: INCOMING! New Mitsubishi Pajero on its way to India
Thanks! IMO - Australian & UK version of Pajero Sport is being sold in India as Montero, already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Congratulations on your new Pajero, maheshramaling! Pajero is a classic, and I feel it is simply the best looking SUV in India today. I really love the classic old-fashioned style of Pajero. It is a timeless beauty!

I always ogle with envy at any Pajero I see on road, so I can totally understand what you meant when you said "all eyes were on my Pajero and their mesmerized looks...."

By the way, I am just curious how you could buy BSIII model in Bangalore. Isn't BS4 mandatory in Bangalore? Or is that only for Petrol engines?

Looking forward to some more details pictures, especially the interiors.

Thanks,
-AD
Thanks! Bangalore has both Metro and Non Metro RTO's (KR Puram/ Whitefield, Electronics City, etc.,). BS III vehicles can be registed in Non Metro RTO's and my Paj was supposed to have been registered in Electronics City - but the dealer & Orix (my company lease provider) seems to have done something to get it registered in Koramangala! So my Regn # is KA 01 MH 6070. I paid additional Rs. 5500 for get this 6070 number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
20% Road Tax in Bangalore??? The Govt wants more share in your car than the company or the dealer do? That's very sad according to me. The one who researches and manufactures does not make this much, the one who sells does not get it either but Govt Gets this for nothing. I do understand the Infrastructure and all but does that convince you for 20% share?

Congrats for the Bull. This is one car I admire. Nothing else comes close
Thanks! Yes - Karnataka road taxes are the highest in the country though we don't have great infrastructure. Just me - between all my vehicles owned in KA - have paid roughly 8 - 9 Lacs in the last 7 years. Guess - they should name a road after me, at-least!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Congratulations on your Pajero. It's heartening to still see fans of the old monster which will raise many an eyebrow even today.

Just wondering if the classic red/white combination would have looked better. But then its personal choice I guess.

Disconnected speedo sounds little fishy to me. Honestly never heard that before. Hope you have done your PDI thoroughly. Any breakthrough on the pending discounts from the dealer?

Looking forward to seeing more interior pics. Happy revving
Thanks! They have asked time till tomorrow. Will keep you posted as I hear from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Congratulations on your purchase Mahesh.

In-spite of all that the competition has thrown up all these years in the SUV segment, I still think that the Pajero is the best looking SUV out there with the Endeavor coming a close second. Just love the butch and square looks, which in my opinion is the way SUV's are meant to look.

Also the Pajero is good for 100K+kms on anything the India roads may throw its way, basic engine and low usage of new electronics means that the Pajero will never let you down.

My dream buy.

Happy Driving!!
Thanks! 1 Lacs kms is too less when Innova's & Qualis can do 5 Lacs without much hassle. I intend to keep it for long (10 to 15 Yrs) and I hope to clock a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Do make sure that you upgrade/install some good anti-theft mechanism. Pajero's are notoriously easy to steal.
Thanks! Yes - that's definitely on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Congratulations, that's a butch looking SUV you got there. Although i have never driven or sat in one, have read many stories of wonderful road capabilities of this SUV. Will be watching this thread for all your adventures in future.

As @download said, Pajero's are favorite when it comes to getting stolen (Not sure why) so please bear that in mind.
Thanks! It's favourite to be stolen because - it does not have a immobiliser feature. So - any one can just duplicate your key & drive away

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice truck, and one that's built to last. The ride quality is one of the main reasons why someone would choose a Pajero over the bumpy Fortuner.

That's a great tip! I believe Mitsubishi showrooms offer an immobiliser (that is, at many times, clubbed with the discounts package).
Thanks! I enquired about Immobiliser with the dealer - but they did not have any clue about the same. I will pursue this with the HM Sales guy directly and check.

Last edited by maheshramaling : 21st February 2012 at 15:54.
maheshramaling is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 17:59   #19
BHPian

Many a congrats Mahesh. This SUV is no pretender and is the real deal. The go-anywhere attitude the Pajero exudes is unparalleled, except for the Landys and a few others.

Wishing you the best of miles, mountain flattenings, river crossings and dune bashings ahead!
mnemonic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
Many a congrats Mahesh. This SUV is no pretender and is the real deal. The go-anywhere attitude the Pajero exudes is unparalleled, except for the Landys and a few others.

Wishing you the best of miles, mountain flattenings, river crossings and dune bashings ahead!
Thanks!

Attaching few more pics. Will be posting some more as I take Paj out on a long drive + interior shots!
Attached Thumbnails
Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0998.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0995.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0994.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0990.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0987.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0984.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0983.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0982.jpg  

maheshramaling is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:09   #21
dot
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation on your new commanding ride. While the interiors are little dated, the presence and ability of the vehicle more than makes up for great ownership experience. As everyone says, this is one vehicle built to last, which was one of your selection criteria!

Also loved to read about your buying experience. It is just sad that so many sales reps kill sales by not following up with prospective customers.

Have fun and drive safe.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:04   #22
BHPian

Congrats for the purchase. Your vehicle looks lovely.
As download2live suggested, upgrade to a good anti theft mechanism. It is a must on Pajero.

Also, synthetic oil increases the cost of ownership by a lot. Unless you plan to do a 15k service interval and regularly run the vehicle on high RPMs (more than 2500k), I do not think there is any need to upgrade to synthetic oil.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 22:19   #23
BHPian

Welcome to another Pajero owner on Team BHP.

I would recommend that you run the vehicle without any major changes till the warranty period is over. It would give you time to see what (if anything) needs to be addressed.

The only thing I changed before warranty was replacing the 'tubed' tyres with tubless Michelin and the music system. I stuck with the recommended oil and other consumables.

Cheers
indianrunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Congratulation on your new commanding ride. While the interiors are little dated, the presence and ability of the vehicle more than makes up for great ownership experience. As everyone says, this is one vehicle built to last, which was one of your selection criteria!

Also loved to read about your buying experience. It is just sad that so many sales reps kill sales by not following up with prospective customers.

Have fun and drive safe.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Congrats for the purchase. Your vehicle looks lovely.
As download2live suggested, upgrade to a good anti theft mechanism. It is a must on Pajero.

Also, synthetic oil increases the cost of ownership by a lot. Unless you plan to do a 15k service interval and regularly run the vehicle on high RPMs (more than 2500k), I do not think there is any need to upgrade to synthetic oil.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Welcome to another Pajero owner on Team BHP.

I would recommend that you run the vehicle without any major changes till the warranty period is over. It would give you time to see what (if anything) needs to be addressed.

The only thing I changed before warranty was replacing the 'tubed' tyres with tubless Michelin and the music system. I stuck with the recommended oil and other consumables.

Cheers
Thanks!

Anti theft mechanism is on top of the list and I am checking with HM if they can retrofit Immoboliser or not. If they cannot - I will mostly go in for a Gear Lock.

Yes the synthetic oil (7.8 lts) is coming close to 9K for just 1 oil change.

I have already changed the tyres (the very next day) to Michelin Latitude Cross (not AT).

An another query - should I change only the speakers & keep the stock OEM system? It seems to be a good one (not the looks!) with all key features.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post

Anti theft mechanism is on top of the list and I am checking with HM if they can retrofit Immoboliser or not. If they cannot - I will mostly go in for a Gear Lock.

Yes the synthetic oil (7.8 lts) is coming close to 9K for just 1 oil change.

I have already changed the tyres (the very next day) to Michelin Latitude Cross (not AT).

An another query - should I change only the speakers & keep the stock OEM system? It seems to be a good one (not the looks!) with all key features.
As regards the gear lock, there is no specific one for the Pajero though I understand from another Pajero owner on the forum that the Safari one fits the Pajero. I have a steering lock.

With reference to the music system, I changed the head unit and the speakers but that would be a personal choice.
indianrunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mahesh,
Congratulations !
That is one good looking Pajero. Though heart of hearts I wish it were an all black vehicle instead of the two tone paint job.
I would agree with you on the gear lock - one of the most effective but under rated security devices in the market today. Check with Autocop, I think they have one that can be fitted on the Pajero.

As far as the tyres go - I don't think it has been used over long distances going by the tread - but someone has ridden it rough over some harsh surface/s like rubble or metal pieces causing some of the surface points to shear off. Is this only on one tyre or others too ?

Wish you many thousands of safe, delightful miles in it and may it stay with you for 20 years or more as desired !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:05   #27
BHPian

Congratulations on the STURDY purchase,
IMHO this is a SUV which is somehow not appreciated by all, but for people looking for a reliable offroader, this is the best, and it grows on you
A good set of Fog lamps should complete the look (its already beautiful but accessories add to it)
Also any other accessories you are planning ?
shridhar.s.i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:09   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Mahesh,
Congratulations !
That is one good looking Pajero. Though heart of hearts I wish it were an all black vehicle instead of the two tone paint job.
I would agree with you on the gear lock - one of the most effective but under rated security devices in the market today. Check with Autocop, I think they have one that can be fitted on the Pajero.

As far as the tyres go - I don't think it has been used over long distances going by the tread - but someone has ridden it rough over some harsh surface/s like rubble or metal pieces causing some of the surface points to shear off. Is this only on one tyre or others too ?

Wish you many thousands of safe, delightful miles in it and may it stay with you for 20 years or more as desired !
Thanks Guderian!

Yes - I would have loved a single tone black paj but I am not complaining about the dual tone...It looks good too!!

Surely - will check with Autocop dealer here in Bangalore while I check with HM on the Immboliser too.

On the tyres; Yes - it seems to have been ridden on some narrow & hard surface and it was only on the front 2 tyres. But - now it's past since I have changed it to Michelin LC's.

I must mention that while doing test drives - I read through your TFort (Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...) thread fully & admired your dedication to keep it spic & span! Somehow - I found TFort to be tough to navigate especially in Bangalore city traffic and the visibility was very poor especially to the left side - hence, dropped it from the final shortlist (though I must admit that Heart always said Paj ).

Happy miles on your TFort and yes - it would have looked majestic in Black!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Congratulations on the STURDY purchase,
IMHO this is a SUV which is somehow not appreciated by all, but for people looking for a reliable offroader, this is the best, and it grows on you
A good set of Fog lamps should complete the look (its already beautiful but accessories add to it)
Also any other accessories you are planning ?
Thanks Shridhar!

I wanted to add lot of accessories including additional hella lamps in the front, better ICE (at-least speakers), bigger alloys, etc., but these HM sales/ service folks keep threatning that anything would void warranty. In fact - they said the same thing for tyre change too, hence - kept it to stock size - which was kinda ok for them.

Last edited by maheshramaling : 23rd February 2012 at 13:30.
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:36   #29
BHPian

Congratulations on THE beast & THE big daddy of offroad SUVs.

Brings back a bit of nostalgia since last year I paid booking advance for the Pajero (yellow shade) but cancelled it since the AT of the Endeavour trumped it for me. Since these two were the last remaining vehicles on my shortlist, I have studied and admired the Paj long enough.

Do read fellow BHPian Ricky_63's thread on his Pajero(s) to give you ideas for modifications, maintenance and other tips.

Rumble on!
ssh1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:58   #30
BHPian

Congrats!!

You have taken a fantastic decision to go for pajero. As you said this has less electricals and more reliable parts and you can get it repaired in any part of the country.

** Happy Motoring **
naren_kk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed