Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 19:49   #1
BHPian

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)

I sold my Innova middle of last year and since then - I missed driving a big vehicle, despite having a new Skoda Laura (picked in Mar '11) in hand!!

So - the hitch for a bigger vehicle was constantly growing as I finished exploring Laura.

Finally decided to do test drives of bigger vehicles in Nov & Dec 2011. My requirement was to have;

1) A bigger vehicle with great looks!!
2) Can handle all roads or no-roads!
3) Reliable & Proven machine
4) Can accommodate 6 to 8 people
5) Can be with me for next 10 to 20 years....so easy maintenance
6) Decent Mileage (9 to 10 kmpl) & should be diesel
7) Should have manual transmission (had to downgrade to Laura Elegance since Superb or L&K did not have MT on diesel variant) - since I feel AT strips out the driving skills from a driver!!
8) Service Interval: Should be every 10K or more.

With this mind I had following vehicles lined up for further shortlist;

1) Toyota Fortuner
2) Ford Endeavour
3) Nissan X-Trail
4) Chevrolet Captiva
5) Mitsubishi Pajero

Since I have owned an Innova earlier - I did not even consider following vehicles;

1) Tata Safari
2) Mahindra Scorpio
3) Toyota Innova 2012

Once the initial thoughts were settled - I started reading almost all ownership reviews of these cars in TBHP and was in parallel calling up dealers for test drive.

At this juncture - I altered my list by eliminating Captiva due to high cost of ownership & being American (I hate these American brands - somehow) but including Hyundai SantaFe (though it can accommodate only 5).

Brief Test Drive Experiences:

1) Toyota Fortuner: Since - I owned a Toyota earlier; my first call was to the Nandi Toyota in Museum Road, Bangalore & asked for a test drive. Surprised to see they did not even lift their phone (this was around 11AM) and tried calling Ravindu in Victoria Road - but in vain again. After few days - I again tried the Museum Road Nandi Toyota and I was able to get through. After a day - the sales rep came with his manager for a test drive to spin around garuda mall. I said - I needed a longer test drive...say hosur road or NICE road....but they flatly refused saying we cannot give test drive for such long distance. I was appalled and decided to call up Nandi Toyota in Hosur Road. But - even there, I heard the same story. I am not sure why they refuse to do a proper test drive. I was completely put off by their attitude which seems to have changed a lot from what I saw while buying Innova in 2007.

With this attitude and my first impression of the test drive (lack of visibility from the driver's seat, innova like interiors) and few ownership reviews - I decided to keep Fortuner as the last option. Both the hosur road & museum road folks kept calling me for my answer every 3 to 4 days.

2) Ford Endeavour: After Toyota test drive, I called up Metro Ford in St. Marks Road. The call was promptly picked up and answered that the sales rep who handles Endeavour is out of office. I was given his mobile phone to call & fix an appointment for test drive. I call up the service rep's mobile number - who picked up my call only in the 2nd attempt & promises to come next day with the vehicle for test drive.

Next day - I set aside my calendar for this test drive and wait for this guy to turn up but he never came or called up. After few days - I call their land line again & promptly transferred to this sales rep again - who does not recognize me. But - when I reminded him about the earlier interaction - he apologies to me saying he had something urgent came up and agrees to bring the vehicle next day.

Next day, he brings the vehicle for test drive but an AT (he gave some goli for not bringing MT) & again we go on the same track around Garuda Mall and Victoria Road. After the test drive - I decided that this is not going to be my vehicle considering the 2nd row comfort, interior looks, 3rd row crampness & mainly their attitude.

3) Mitsubishi Pajero: After 2 not so great test drive experience, I went little slow on further test drives. But - few days later a colleague & friend wanted to test drive a XUV 5OO - so we head towards India Garage showroom on St. Marks road. After finishing the test drive of W8 variant (& thoroughly dissatisfied with the kind of vehicle Mahindra has made) - we were walking towards Cash Pharmacy to catch a Volvo bus to reach our office near Garuda Mall. That's where - I saw Auto Pacifica, Mitsubishi Showroom on Cash Pharmacy building. So - we walk-in to the showroom and see brand new Pajero, Outlander & Montero which were on display. We were welcomed by one of the Sales rep there and explained about Pajero & it's specifications. I wanted a test drive and he said - the test drive vehicle is not available but guaranteed to get the vehicle to my home that weekend.

Next Sat - he calls me up asking for directions to my house & lands up an hour late with a Majestic Red Pajero. Me and my son jump into the vehicle instantly & drove towards hosur road till electronics city & returned back to Hosa road a good 8 kms ride. Power difference was clearly noticeable & was initially dejected by looking at the age old interiors. But the way the vehicle handled endless speed breakers (guess - we covered some 30 of them in hosa road alone) & it's performance in 4th and 5th gear - made me think twice - so put the vehicle on hold. However - my son (6 years old) gave thumbs up for the vehicle.

4) Nissan X-Trail: I call up their only dealer in Bangalore & ask for a test drive and their manager agreed to get the vehicle for test drive after few days. But - the guy never called up or brought the vehicle for test drive. Having heard not so great service levels from Nissan & service network being small in India - decided not to follow-up with them. Till date - I haven't heard from them. With a such a sales attitude - not sure how these guys survive in this market.

5) Hyundai SantaFe: To finally decide - I walked over to a Hyundai Showroom opp Taj Vivanta Gateway in Residency Road and asked for a sales rep handling SantaFe. Guess - they were completely surprised with my enquiry since they seem to have never had a walk-in customer for their high end offering!! Neither there was a display vehicle nor a sales rep who can explain about the car. We were just given a price list and promised for a test drive in next few days from their other showroom. Like Nissan - these folks also did not have a courtesy to call me back. And having seen the price list & it being a 5 seater - I decided to cross off this from the list without test drive.

So - finally it was a literal fight between heart and mind where heart said Paj (Majestic looks, handler of any roads/ no roads) and mind said TFort (Service, Quality/ Reliability, etc.,). Having almost all the check box ticked by both - I booked Paj in end of Dec.

Reasons for choosing Pajero over TFort:

1) Great Road Presence & Majestic Looks. Today - I was waiting in a crowded signal in Koramangala. There was a fairly new TFort to my left, Scorpio behind & a safari to my front & few innova's along with other cars. But - almost all the eyes were on my Pajero & their mesmerized looks made me feel like a king for few seconds & vouched my decision of buying this car.
2) Handler for any terrain since I wanted to settle in rural south india in next few years & as well visit lengths & breadth of this country (including leh/ ladakh)
3) Less Electronics - which means I can get it serviced/ repaired by any good mechanic
4) Wife's choice - since she was also an lover of this grand daddy of SUV's!!

So - finally booked BS III Paj end Dec and took delivery on 30th Jan 2012 and yes - it was a Jan manufactured vehicle. Here is another thread - where I took advice from fellow TBHP'ians on BS III Vs BS IV. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...bs-iii-iv.html

Having driven for roughly 200+ kms (actually 300+ kms) - here is my initial impressions;
  • As stated earlier - it was a serious looker & everyone flirts with this vehicle!!
  • Great handler - though so far i haven't subjected the vehicle to any harsh roads or terrains.
  • Though it's mighty - it's easy to drive in city like a small car with a feather touch steering. Steering is tilt adjustable & leather wrapped.
  • Electric ORVM controls are easy to operate - though it's not easy to reach.
  • First time - I am seeing extendable sun visor - which is very cool.
  • Air Conditioning: Is simply super & chills real quick.
  • Amazing brakes & smooth clutch. I should state here that when I first drove my laura or innova - I have stalled them quite a number of times until I understood them properly. But - Paj, not even once I have stalled.
  • Seats - All leather and the kind of cushioning it gives especially for the driver - it's simply amazing
  • Power Antenna: It's classic and I used to love them in my Esteem & used to envy old Camry!
  • Visibility - it's like watching from a light house. Simply awesome.
  • Lights: Have taken the vehicle on hosur highway during night and found the lighting, (especially the fog lights) are more than adequate. I liked them much more than the Laura lights.
  • Beige interiors & floor mats: Soothing to eyes and less dirt catcher. I am in serious love with 3D mats in my laura but thinking now whether I need them in Paj or not.
  • ICE: They have Kenwood (CD, FM/AM, MP3, USB, Bluetooth functionality) system - which looks pathetic and just transmits. The speakers are awful too and I am seriously thinking of changing them. They have a weird positioning too - which makes it impossible to operate on the move - though they have a remote for passengers to operate.
  • Storage space: Awful is the one word to describe and there isn't a place where we can store a one liter bottle. Does not have place to even keep your phone or sun glasses. Poor ergonomics is what i should say.
  • Power Window controls: All are one touch up/ down only from drivers side. But to reach these controls - you need special training!
  • Six Spoke Allow Wheels: Looks cool but 15 inch is an sheer injustice for this monster. It should have had a 16 or 17 inch.
  • MRF Tyres: Another not so great thing in this car. Very next day - I have taken to Hercules Tyres and changed to Michelin LC by exchanging the old MRF ones. Feels better & cushier now - though have to take it out on long ride to see.
  • Rear Camera & Parking Sensors: Though they do decent job but they are not accurate when compared to my Laura's parking sensors - which are on dot accurate.
  • Pajero Logo & Dual Tone paint: Though I would have loved having a plain single tone colour - but don't have much complaints on the current pattern & big Pajero logo
Overall - I am in love with this mighty Paj - I do have to highlight few minor issues I faced;
  • After changing tyres - vehicle now pulls to the left. I think the wheel alignment/ balancing has not gone well. Took it to Hercules again - but they couldn't rectify it. However - I should mention that Saravanan from Hercules was very helpful & even came with me for a good 30 mins test drive. Finally he advised to me to get the wheel alignment done in company service center - since they are unable to trace the issue & offered to reimburse the cost of that. Yes - it's a waste of time - but I am happy that he is at-least accepting his mistake. I will be taking the Paj to service center tomorrow to this rectified.
  • Dealer promised me 80K worth of discount (due to year end) in form of Insurance. But - while taking delivery the insurance receipt mentioned only 39K. When asked - they did not have an answer. I have escalated to their HM Sales guys and who is also not responding. I have demanded a receipt of remaining money or return the money in cash or additional accessory. Today - the dealer asked time till Wednesday - to revert.
  • It was also an stupid part on them to not connect the speedometer - which was connect only the next day by which i had already gone to hosur and came back. They said it's their normal practice to disconnect since their yard is near hoskote & their PDI happens in Bommanahalli - so even if a vehicle does 1 trip to each of these places & returns to their showroom for delivery - it would show 100+ kms. I did a thorough PDI and found that the vehicle is clean & it's Jan 2012 manufactured vehicle as per VIN.
  • While doing PDI and before taking delivery - I also noticed that both the front tyre outer layers had chipped off. Even for that they gave some lame excuse. I took the delivery since - I knew, I am going to change the tyres anyways. These two pointers indicate that the vehicle was used more than 60 kms shown in the speedo before taking delivery. I have highlighted this but I know they wouldn't do anything on this.
  • Rattling: I have heard from many about this issue and I do hear some rattling in my Paj. I have to observe carefully and eliminate slowly, if possible.
I am also looking for an advice; by changing the filter to K&N or Green Cotton + engine oil to synthetic - make any difference to fuel efficiency & power? If yes - I will most probably be changing this while doing first service. Let me know pls.

Again - overall I am happy with this Mighty Black Paj & will post detailed review - as it get's subjected to other terrains & as I start using super select 4X4 !

Attaching few pics (including the tyre damage) which were taken during delivery but will be uploading few more exterior and interior pictures in next few days. Attached their brochure too; if anyone wanted to know more about it's features - since I have not talked about all of it's features.
Attached Thumbnails
Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0959.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0958.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0960.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0961.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0952.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0953.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0957.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0964.jpg  

Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)-100_0965.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pajero brochure.pdf (2.35 MB, 2517 views)

Last edited by maheshramaling : 20th February 2012 at 20:02.
maheshramaling is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 20:08   #2
BHPian

re: Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)

Congrats on your new possession Mahesh...!

I am embarking on my hunt for the next set of wheels and Fortuner is right up there in the list, having lived with a Civic on BLR's horrendous bumps & roads. I just test drove the AT Fortuner (I am clear that my next one is an AT) and it drove like a dream by SUV standards. Am yet to lay my hands on a PAJ, but holding me back from it is its aging looks and mechanicals, the very things that made you go for it.

Would be keen to hear on your ownership report in a while from now. Until then, drive safe...!
alabjarus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 20:23   #3
BHPian

Congrats Man..!!, it is really a surprise that people are still buying new Pajero, and I love it. One of the most marvelously engineered capable beasts out there in the market let down by bad sales, service, etc.,

The day I can afford, this is the one which I'll grab.

Could you please let me know the cost of this vehicle ?
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 20:26   #4
BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase. As you said it is certainly a looker even though old just like Safari. What all mods you have planned and wish you many happy and safe miles. And do post more pictures.
HappyRoadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 20:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
Congrats on your new possession Mahesh...!

I am embarking on my hunt for the next set of wheels and Fortuner is right up there in the list, having lived with a Civic on BLR's horrendous bumps & roads. I just test drove the AT Fortuner (I am clear that my next one is an AT) and it drove like a dream by SUV standards. Am yet to lay my hands on a PAJ, but holding me back from it is its aging looks and mechanicals, the very things that made you go for it.

Would be keen to hear on your ownership report in a while from now. Until then, drive safe...!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Congrats Man..!!, it is really a surprise that people are still buying new Pajero, and I love it. One of the most marvelously engineered capable beasts out there in the market let down by bad sales, service, etc.,

The day I can afford, this is the one which I'll grab.

Could you please let me know the cost of this vehicle ?
You should - there are about 1000+ pajero's being sold every year in India. Though it is very small compared to it's competition, but says a lot about it's reliability after being in the market for decades.

Cost break-up as stated in my earlier thread;

Ex-Showroom: Rs. 21,22,934
Road Tax: Rs. 4,24,163
Insurance: Free (Costs Rs. 79,695). This can be considered as a cash discount which is not in offer effective 1st Jan 2012.
Extended Warranty for 2nd Year: Free worth Rs. 11,000
Handling Charges: Rs. 15,000
Total On-Road Price: Rs. 25,62,097

Last edited by maheshramaling : 20th February 2012 at 20:30.
maheshramaling is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 20:29   #6
AWD
BHPian

Congratulations, its one mighty beast & a true through-bred.

Not intending to dampen the spirit but did you know about a new Pajero launching this season? Also feel you should have bargained a little more for a sweeter deal.

Can anybody shed light on Pajero's spares & maintainence costs?
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 09:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)

Congrats on the Paj, always liked the two tone color combo, any particular reasons for not going with the red/white combo, it looks classic Pajero

Disconnected Speedo just for he distance from the stockyard to dealer showroom is lame, hope your PDI was thorough, and those scuffing on the tires looks horrible, even if you drive for 100+ kms you dont scuff the sides like that, but then again now that you have changed it does not matter. I guess the left pulling maybe due to castor alignment or did you check if the Michelin have been put correctly consideirng they have "Outside" marking on the sidewall.

Last edited by motomaverick : 21st February 2012 at 09:30.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 09:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Not intending to dampen the spirit but did you know about a new Pajero launching this season?
Is there a 'NEW' Pajero coming....? Or is it a new variant of the same old Pajero with added frills...?

Last edited by alabjarus : 21st February 2012 at 09:37.
Old 21st February 2012, 10:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a 'NEW' Pajero coming....? Or is it a new variant of the same old Pajero with added frills...?
Yes there have been news of a 2012 Pajero coming and i think it looks more like the Montero with 147kW of power at 3800rpm and 441Nm of torque.

But Mahesh nothing to dampen your spirits, this buy was spot on for your requirements
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 10:33   #10
BHPian

Wow! Looks awesome! Congrats on your Pajero maheshramaling.

Quote:
This is the 2012 Pajero in the Australian market. The Indian one looks different.

Please see the full review below.

Mitsubishi Pajero Review | 2012 VRX 3.2 Diesel | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications

DELHI AUTO EXPO 2012: INCOMING! New Mitsubishi Pajero on its way to India
Jeeper1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 10:56   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your new Pajero, maheshramaling! Pajero is a classic, and I feel it is simply the best looking SUV in India today. I really love the classic old-fashioned style of Pajero. It is a timeless beauty!

I always ogle with envy at any Pajero I see on road, so I can totally understand what you meant when you said "all eyes were on my Pajero and their mesmerized looks...."

By the way, I am just curious how you could buy BSIII model in Bangalore. Isn't BS4 mandatory in Bangalore? Or is that only for Petrol engines?

Looking forward to some more details pictures, especially the interiors.

Thanks,
-AD
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 12:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Thanks!

Ex-Showroom: Rs. 21,22,934
Road Tax: Rs. 4,24,163
Insurance: Free (Costs Rs. 79,695). This can be considered as a cash discount which is not in offer effective 1st Jan 2012.
Extended Warranty for 2nd Year: Free worth Rs. 11,000
Handling Charges: Rs. 15,000
Total On-Road Price: Rs. 25,62,097
20% Road Tax in Bangalore??? The Govt wants more share in your car than the company or the dealer do? That's very sad according to me. The one who researches and manufactures does not make this much, the one who sells does not get it either but Govt Gets this for nothing. I do understand the Infrastructure and all but does that convince you for 20% share?

Congrats for the Bull. This is one car I admire. Nothing else comes close

Last edited by rajismine : 21st February 2012 at 12:27.
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 12:46   #13
BHPian

Congratulations on your Pajero. It's heartening to still see fans of the old monster which will raise many an eyebrow even today.

Just wondering if the classic red/white combination would have looked better. But then its personal choice I guess.

Disconnected speedo sounds little fishy to me. Honestly never heard that before. Hope you have done your PDI thoroughly. Any breakthrough on the pending discounts from the dealer?

Looking forward to seeing more interior pics. Happy revving
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 13:02   #14
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase Mahesh.

In-spite of all that the competition has thrown up all these years in the SUV segment, I still think that the Pajero is the best looking SUV out there with the Endeavor coming a close second. Just love the butch and square looks, which in my opinion is the way SUV's are meant to look.

Also the Pajero is good for 100K+kms on anything the India roads may throw its way, basic engine and low usage of new electronics means that the Pajero will never let you down.

My dream buy.

Happy Driving!!
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 13:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Do make sure that you upgrade/install some good anti-theft mechanism. Pajero's are notoriously easy to steal.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed