Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2012, 22:24   #46
BHPian

Re: Something fast, Something naughty - The Volvo S60 T6 (304 BHP)

Congrats for owning FAST technological piece of marvel. I'm also planning to buy XC60 D5 within next few weeks but currently being bogged down by EU FTA treaty. The build quality is certainly better than it's rivals and the equipment it offers at this price tag simply blows others away. What I've always listened to the fact that Volvo is more reliable than Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Is it true?
Old 23rd February 2012, 22:25   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kau_therock View Post
Even i found it a bit dicey. The car which was given for the TBhp team had different alloys, no rear spoiler and had i reckon 225/45 tyres. GTO can clarify on this. I even read somewhere it had the aluminium finish trim where as mine has a wooden trim.

I have been driving my bimmer for 3 years now without a spare wheel. So I reckon will not be having any issues with this either *touchwood*. Though they have provided an emergency car repair kit in which you can put in some gel in the car which will fill up the puncture and also a small air compressor which will fill up the air.
The alloys you have on your T6 are optional wheels. This was told by the sales guy at VOLVO during my TD. These alloys were given at no extra charge only for the T6 if I'm not wrong. I might be wrong but that's what I can recollect. Been long I did the TD.
Old 23rd February 2012, 22:28   #48
BHPian

Kau: You got the Batmobile mate!! Terrific car and the no of sensors will make one go dizzy! Truly, this should be Batmans ride rather than Bruce Wayne driving

Just a question...how do you deal with the super low ground clearance? If am not wrong its close to 130mm, right?
Old 24th February 2012, 10:54   #49
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I had raised these queries to Kashyap Motors who is a Volvo dealer in New Delhi and these are his answers.

1) Is there any plan in near future to launch a petrol engine XC60 ? The XC60 T6 Petrol will only be launched next year if there is enough demand.

2) When are you launching new S80 ? will you be offering all the technological innovations which you are currently offering on S60 ? The new S80 2012 model has been launched last week with the same safety features like “City safe” as the S60 or XC60.

3) You were offering V8 on S 80. Will it also be offered with new S 80. The V8 Engine has been discontinued in 2011 and the only Petrol Engine available is the T6.

4) When are you launching new XC 90 ? XC90 2012 model has been launched last month with a complete new facelift design and more features.

5) S 60 T6 is inadequate for me because of its relatively small size. However if I decide to purchase what is the solution on absence of 5th spare wheel ? Pl do not

tell me about
the Volvo providing the puncture kit . I know that already. Is there enough boot space if one decides to purchase a fifth tire and keep it as a spare. Any other

solutions which you can think of. For the S60 thre is a solution for the spare wheel which will be available from next month onwards. There will be a provision for an Emergency size Wheel to be installed in the Boot. This will be covered with a complete new Boot Floor mat, so that the spare wheel is not visible.

6) I have heard that in the next and new lot of vehicles which you will be receiving, you are doing away with the setting of (multi suspensions ) of the comfort/sport

-- /normal mode in XC 60 and S 60. These have become options for the 2012 models and will be charged extra if you would like them. The cars which are in stock in India don’t have them, except the S60 T6.

This should help our fellow BHPians who may think of considering Volvo as their next car.

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2012 at 16:06. Reason: Please do NOT type the full message in BOLD. It results in an eyesore
chinmoysc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 11:11   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When i inquired regarding the orange color, the person told me that the particular color is for diesel only. Maybe they did not have the stock. But I always wanted a black.
No stock would be the case
Because I have seen quite a few Orange S60s here in Singapore. And they sell only petrol here.

Quote:
Even i found it a bit dicey. The car which was given for the TBhp team had different alloys, no rear spoiler and had i reckon 225/45 tyres. GTO can clarify on this. I even read somewhere it had the aluminium finish trim where as mine has a wooden trim.
I don’t think there is anything dicey. Atleast that’s what I gathered from the Volvo India website when I checked last. IIRC, you’ve the option to choose the leather, interior trim, light or dark wood / aluminum, and also the alloys. If you’re not happy with the alloys, probably its worth checking with Volvo dealer whether you can go for a change. There may be some cost involved, but maybe you will get a good deal considering that the car has done only 1000+ kms.
Old 24th February 2012, 11:55   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
The alloys you have on your T6 are optional wheels. This was told by the sales guy at VOLVO during my TD. These alloys were given at no extra charge only for the T6 if I'm not wrong. I might be wrong but that's what I can recollect. Been long I did the TD.
The brochure did mention the same alloys as they are on my car. the D5 comes with a 5 spoke alloy if i am not wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
No stock would be the case
Because I have seen quite a few Orange S60s here in Singapore. And they sell only petrol here.

I don’t think there is anything dicey. Atleast that’s what I gathered from the Volvo India website when I checked last. IIRC, you’ve the option to choose the leather, interior trim, light or dark wood / aluminum, and also the alloys. If you’re not happy with the alloys, probably its worth checking with Volvo dealer whether you can go for a change. There may be some cost involved, but maybe you will get a good deal considering that the car has done only 1000+ kms.
The volvo brochure as i mentioned above gave the exact specs as mentioned and nothing different. And regarding the new alloys i went through the dealer, but he said that the original ones will take around 3 months since they will be coming from sweden. So I might go for a direct import of the OZ or of similar spec.
Old 25th February 2012, 16:11   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just wanted to add another significant advantage of the S60 : Moderator Ajmat (a master of European cars) insists that Volvos offer superior long-term reliability than the troublesome Germans.

As for me, I can't wait for this beast to start hitting the pre-worshipped market. The minute you floor the accelerator, all thoughts of FE & petrol prices are out the window. There's more to life than kpl
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 17:11   #53
Senior - BHPian

This one drool worthy car. When Volvo launched this I was totally in awe of the spec sheet. Congrats, before I get carried away any further. Enjoy and ride safe. I think before you upgrade your tyre's I'd suggest you invest in a spare.
Old 25th February 2012, 21:04   #54
BHPian

Is there anyone on this forum or known to you who has the exact configuration mentioned below in their car.

Volvo S60 with the D5244T11 engine. Its this engine that I am after .

Volvo S60 Tech Spec

Am planning on asking my colleague to buy it and he seldom says no to my suggestions though this time its a bit difficult since the Volvo is now a Swedish/Chinese vehicle and he abhors anything remotely Chinese. I am keen too if the above engine is used in his car and hence will book the car from him when he sells it second hand. Any news about this engine and its life.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 25th February 2012 at 21:05.
Old 25th February 2012, 22:57   #55
BHPian

Drove around 500 kms today. Feels awesome to drive her more and more.

Initial impressions for today's drive:

- the mileage given on the highway is almost double to that given in the city. I achieved around 14 kmpl on brisk driving with cruise control ON @100kmph.

- the safety feature works really well. Sometimes I went too close to the vehicle and it slowed down automatically. Though it can be a trouble if a car is approaching from behind as it would rear end for sure.

- Can seat 5 people. Not comfortably but can seat without any hiccups.

- Too scared to drive in the traffic. Drove cautiously so as to prevent her from even a small scratch.

- Rear seat belt issue. If you put it on, well and good. But if you remove it after putting on, it will give continuous warning and will have to be put on again. I loved this feature since rear passengers will have to wear it compulsorily. Though I make sure my family members always wear it, be it fortuner or even swift.

- Got a lot of head turns and clicks while it was parked. Certainly a unique car.

So far so good. Now the odometer stands around 2200 kms. Still 8k to go for the first service.
kau_therock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 09:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Is there anyone on this forum or known to you who has the exact configuration mentioned below in their car.

Volvo S60 with the D5244T11 engine. Its this engine that I am after .

Volvo S60 Tech Spec

Am planning on asking my colleague to buy it and he seldom says no to my suggestions though this time its a bit difficult since the Volvo is now a Swedish/Chinese vehicle and he abhors anything remotely Chinese. I am keen too if the above engine is used in his car and hence will book the car from him when he sells it second hand. Any news about this engine and its life.
What's the problem with it's Chinese connection BTW? DO Brits and others have the same problem with JLR's Indian connection?
Old 26th February 2012, 13:12   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
the mileage given on the highway is almost double to that given in the city. I achieved around 14 kmpl on brisk driving with cruise control ON @100kmph.
I went on seeing your mileage figure, but then read the last line on cruising control @ 100 kph.

When we took the beast out on the Nasik highway, we got 6.xx kpl! 4,000 rupees of petrol burned up in 1 Mumbai-Nasik-Mumbai trip. The only other car I know that guzzled fuel like this was the EVO X...we spent 10 grand on fuel in 3 days of testing the car. The second tank was over in 3 hours, and we're talking 97 octane here.

Quote:
- Can seat 5 people. Not comfortably but can seat without any hiccups.
I disagree here. I sat alone on the rear seat and still hated it. It's too cramped and the seat is placed way too low. The C Class & Audi A4 have backseats that are far more comfortable.
Old 26th February 2012, 13:30   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I went on seeing your mileage figure, but then read the last line on cruising control @ 100 kph.

When we took the beast out on the Nasik highway, we got 6.xx kpl! 4,000 rupees of petrol burned up in 1 Mumbai-Nasik-Mumbai trip. The only other car I know that guzzled fuel like this was the EVO X...we spent 10 grand on fuel in 3 days of testing the car. The second tank was over in 3 hours, and we're talking 97 octane here.
GTO sir, i wouldn't have mind at all cruising at speeds above 150 but you do know that Indians do not know the concept of lane discipline. Especially the truck drivers who think that the fast lane is made for their comfort. Also, considering the accidents that have been taking place recently on the Expressway, i would anyday prefer my life over speed.

Quote:
I disagree here. I sat alone on the rear seat and still hated it. It's too cramped and the seat is placed way too low. The C Class & Audi A4 have backseats that are far more comfortable.
Thats what i said sir, "not comfortably". And here we are taking about 3 people not too healthy, around 5'5.
Old 26th February 2012, 14:51   #59
BHPian

That's an awesome review for an awesome car Kaustubh. The color looks mafiash to say the least.

Just imagining if the movie transporter was remade with Volvo instead of the Audi and the Merc.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 16:55   #60
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Congrats kau_therock! Hatke choice. You are guaranteed exclusivity!

I've only managed to see 1 S60 in Mumbai so far & that too was the T6. I personally love the Red & Blue shade that they offer. Please post night time pics if you have any. Car looks really nice at night. See the below pic for reference.

kilometermagazine.com

Most Viewed