Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 20:44   #1
BHPian

Audi RS5 initial ownership report

Alright so it's been around 21 days and 1800 Kms (i know thats a lot at almost 100 a day) and I have finally been able to get the time to start writing this minor review down.
As some might know this was a fairly quick decision with a turnaround of 7 days from initial TD to purchase. Frankly the car really touched me and provided one of the finest driving experiences in a long time.
The Audi Gurgaon salespeople are really good and Hemant especially was a gem. I went for hour long test drives with him and he was ever helpful. Had I not gone for those long test drives i would not have known how usable and fun this car is.

I'm going to break this down into some major criteria that should give some insight into this enjoyable vehicle.

Positives:
- Stonking engine - 0-100 in 4.6
- Amazing Exhaust SOUND - it roars and can be heard a mile away
- Gorgeous looks - due to the fact that there's no A5 in India, this car is really exclusive and is a beauty to look at
from each and every angle.
- B&O sound system with 14 speakers and two subwoofers - its like a club in your car
- Awesome GRIP due to Quattro with crown gear differential which helps it steer more like a rear wheel drive car
- Incredible Road presence (real chick magnet)
- Launch Control

Negatives:
- Suspension a bit hard even in comfort mode
- Mileage of......wait for it....... 4 kmpl!!
- Lots of squeaks and rattles from the cabin
- MMI is the older one and rather pedestrian when compared with the latest in the 530d
- No navigation

1. Drive - stonking engine, incredible handling - the Quattro with the crown gear differential makes the under steer of Audis of yore a thing of the past and handles a lot like a rear wheel drive car yet with the confidence inspiring traction of an all wheel drive car, and it also has a fairly communicative steering.
The torque numbers though not as high as my 530d is enough for a kick in the chest feeling. However put this car in a drag race with the 530d and the high revving engine with 444bhp will make the bimmer look like a speck of dust in the rear view mirror. It gains stupendous speed so much so that honestly 150 kmph feels like a 100. This car really does cover ground. Who cares about the 4 kmpl urban mileage!!??!!
I also feel that the gear ratios are a bit haywire perhaps to keep mileage numbers under check. Nonetheless it's great fun to see a boy racer in his bummer pull up and actually try to take the Rs5 on. Simply go down a couple of gears and stomp on the gas and he will be a speaking the rear view mirror.

2. Sound - the aural satisfaction that this car gives is eargasmic. Put it in dynamic and a flap opens in the exhaust and the full glory of the 4.2 V8 is for all to hear and feel. Moreover in dynamic mode each time you go up or down a gear a small drop of petrol is dropped into the exhaust making a loud rumble that announces your impending presence from 2 street lights away. Frankly it's the sound that clinched this car for me. It is really that good. The best way is to open the windows or the sunroof (which only opens up a bit from the back) and then listen to the amazing baritone. The sound is enough of an adrenaline boost by itself and when coupled with the sheer ferocity with which it covers ground, the total package becomes rather addictive.

3. Tech - ageing interior and shoddy older MMI makes this car not really a geek's weapon of choice. However it does have all the Bluetooth, auto-dimming, Bang and Olufson shenanigans going on to keep you mildly interested. Let's face it though, if you are buying this car for the gizmos you have more money than brains.

4. Presence - Chick Magnet. No doubt about it. every hotel has allowed this car on the porch. No questions asked. They don't even ask for the key. Amazing road presence. People look at the car more than at the road ahead. Enthusiasts have drool leaking out the door onto the road making a potential aqua-planing disaster. Wherever I go this turns a lot of heads.

5. Efficiency - ummmm N/A. 5 Kmpl on the highway and 4 in the city so far. Oh and only 97 octane does it justice. 91 has too much of a power loss.

6. Comfort - the car is a good long distance cruiser, at least as good as a hardcore track car can be. The ride is stiff, even in comfort, but in dynamic it stiffens up real good. So much so that the cratered moonscape that we call Gurgaon roads can serve as a good obstacle course. So, overall comfortable in a 'I'm not going to vomit but man I felt that bump' kind of way.
I have not hit the front end yet but have scraped several car-breakers already but overall the GC is good enough to handle all but the worst of those bumps.

7. Fun factor - 10/10. This car has put a smile on my face that few other vehicles have ever managed. it is a blast to be on the open road. I have broken it in a bit and can't wait to reach the 2500 km mark t unleash it in all it's glory toughi have cheated a few times .

8. Launch Control - Launch control just rocks and ensures that even grannies can reach the 4.6 mark to the ton. It's really an amazing feature that truly puts a smile on your face.

Will keep adding/editing as time goes on.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zkalra : 24th February 2012 at 21:01.
Zkalra is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 21:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Audi RS5 - Initial Ownership Report (1800 Kms)

Congrats on your new acquaintance, Audi RS5. Please post more pictures with interior and keep this thread updated with after sales experience.

Kitna deti hai, 4 Kmpl, that's just horrendous but with that V8 orchestra who cares. How much range does this car give you and why white color? Why not black/blue or red? These car look much better in dark colors.

Drive safe with so much power on tap.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 21:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your latest acquisition looks smashing pictures. 1800 kms in 21 days is quite a driving.Really i am absolutely in love with this car, please post some more pics of interior and exterior as well.

An excellent garage there 5er bimmer and THIS monster. Really i am absolutely in love with this car, please post some more pics of interior.

And please put up some serious videos, i want to hear the exhaust note.

Wish you wonderful miles ahead, drive safe.

Cheers
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 21:21   #4
BHPian

Congrats Mate - She is quite an acquisition. Could you please post a few interior shots of the car. Thanks

Best -ML
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 00:50   #5
BHPian

Congrats on the new acquisition. She is looking gorgeous, and yes it is very exclusive right now, very good choice.

Please put up some interior pics as well as pics from the rear also will be appreciated.
k_shanz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 01:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic car, congratulations! Very clean lines - love the simplistic exterior design! If I had to choose between this and the e92 M3 (my usual favourite) I'd be torn!

Very well written review
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 08:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, Audi RS5 looks amazing, and very very sporty. When there is V8 under the hood giving all the pleasure why bother about kitna deti hai .

How much did it cost OTR and what other cars (if any) were considered before you decided on Audi RS5? and How was RS5 better then them?
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 09:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Congrats on your new acquaintance, Audi RS5. Please post more pictures with interior and keep this thread updated with after sales experience.

Kitna deti hai, 4 Kmpl, that's just horrendous but with that V8 orchestra who cares. How much range does this car give you and why white color? Why not black/blue or red? These car look much better in dark colors.

Drive safe with so much power on tap.
Honestly if you have to think about the mileage then a sports car with a big thirsty V8 doesnt make sense as the mileage is really really poor. The range however is a bigger concern and is the crazy part. I think it has a 50 or 55 liter tank and a trip from Gurgaon to Delhi and back usually consumes a quarter tank and if you step on it you can literally see the needle fall. So I have so far had to get a tank full each two days or so. At 79 bucks a liter I have so far filled in over 30 k in the tank in 3 weeks. But obviously I am driving it a lot more than I usually would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Congratulations, Audi RS5 looks amazing, and very very sporty. When there is V8 under the hood giving all the pleasure why bother about kitna deti hai .

How much did it cost OTR and what other cars (if any) were considered before you decided on Audi RS5? and How was RS5 better then them?
OTR listed was 90.5 L. However I got a decent discount. I think that these uber expensive sports cars are not selling as well as these companies had hoped for and really are for a very niche enthusiast segment. Hence decent (not amazing bargains but decent) discounts are available.
Honestly I didn't really think here are too many cars in this segment - i didn't want the M3 as it more or less looks like a 3 and the exterior is no where even close to an RS5 in terms of beauty IMO. Also the new 3 series along with the latest M3 are already on their way hence makes little sense to spend 90 odd for an outgoing model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Fantastic car, congratulations! Very clean lines - love the simplistic exterior design! If I had to choose between this and the e92 M3 (my usual favourite) I'd be torn!

Very well written review
Thanks mate. Honestly at this moment when the new M3 is around the corner I don't think it's wise to look at it. Plus this one is a bit quicker and the interior is typical Audi workmanship. I have driven them both and this one pulled at the heart strings a lot more.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th February 2012 at 10:58.
Old 25th February 2012, 10:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the excellent acquisition! A very well written initial experience, understandably more from the point of an enthusiast. Will be hooked on to this thread to know your long term ownership experience on this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Why white color? Why not black/blue or red? These car look much better in dark colors.
My feelings exactly.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 10:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post

Very well written review
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Congratulations on the excellent acquisition! A very well written initial experience, understandably more from the point of an enthusiast. Will be hooked on to this thread to know your long term ownership experience on this car.

My feelings exactly.
Thanks. They had only one black and one white as ready stock and similarly equipped. Black couldn't hold a candle to the white as the white color very deeply contrasts the black front intakes and the rear black exhaust section. Anyway I have been told to not buy black. Plus since this is my daily driver, red gets to be a bit too much after a while.
Honestly the car looks A LOT BETTER in real life as these bad iPhone pics can't really do it justice.
Old 25th February 2012, 12:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Awesome car and a crisp, if all too short, report. More pictures please? Pretty please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra View Post
Nonetheless it's great fun to see a boy racer in his bummer pull up and actually try to take the Rs5 on. Simply go down a couple of gears and stomp on the gas and he will be a speaking the rear view mirror.
I don't know if you intended to say that or if it was a typo, but either way, that was a spectacular line That mileage is abysmal, but you don't buy an RS5 for its efficiency, wot?

Congrats on the RS5. You now own a teutonic beauty that many of us can only lust after. Enjoy! And do keep this thread alive!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 12:35   #12
BHPian

Beautiful car! Looks gorgeous in white. Excellent colour choice! Congrats on your car Zkalra!
Jeeper1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 12:53   #13
BHPian

Sweet ride there!
Could you talk a little bit more about the transmission? Specs + driving experience. You mentioned the ratios seem a little off, but that's probably cause the average speeds on Indian roads is low.

Drive safe!
Macfreak7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 14:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Finally !!! So you did get time off from driving her to put up a report after all ! LOL
Congratulations again on the fantastic acquisition. She looks sensational in white !
Could you post some interior shots ? Want to see the similarities with my car's cockpit.
Thanks
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 16:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Now that's a daily drive which petrol heads see in their wet dreams.

Congrats on owning such a beauty Zkalra.

I am just wondering it there an option to opt for different wheels? Its not that stock wheels are not good but I have a feeling that some deep dish wheels can rocket the beauty of this coupe to different sphere altogether.
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed