Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 15:31   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsuresh
One very fundamental question. My friend is looking to book the new Punto 2012. How do we make sure the car is indeed a 2012 punto and not the older version. Is VIN the only way to determine this? Or is there any other better means to find this out ??
VIN is the surest way to know the manufacturing month. Its punched into the cars floor (front passenger side) and is not tampered.

If you look around the car more carefully, you will find lots of bits with mfg date stickers.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 16:37   #62
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto 2012: First Drive

The gap between the wheel arch and the wheel is noticeably higher and there is new interior color scheme & seat cover fabric in the 2012 versions.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 16:46   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsuresh View Post
One very fundamental question. My friend is looking to book the new Punto 2012. How do we make sure the car is indeed a 2012 punto and not the older version. Is VIN the only way to determine this? Or is there any other better means to find this out ??
The variants have been renamed or rather rearranged in the 2012 version:Old Dynamic is now Active, old Emotion is now Dynamic and old Emotion pack is now Emotion. So if you read the variant badge and look around and see the features inside the car, you could get enough hints whether it is 2011 or 2012 model. For eg, Older Dynamic would not have rear wiper. If you find a dynamic with a rear wiper and defogger, it is a 2012 version. Likewise, older active would not have a music system, while 2012 active does have one. There are no signs to identify an emotion/old emotion pack though because both contains the same badge-Emotion! However, if you find an emotion without alloy wheels/airbags/steering mounted audio control, you could presume it would be older 2011 model.

Having said all that, I still suggest you should check the VIN for a confirmation of the manufacturing month. it should end with LZ. LZ stands for 2012 and the alphabet preceeding LZ indicates the month , eg A for January, B for February etc.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 24th April 2012 at 16:47.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 16:54   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsuresh View Post
Yes. the VIN would be a sureshot way of finding out the manufacturing date, and hence the version. Another method is the feature list. Like I have been told, the emotion became the new dynamic and the old dynamic version's features got into the new Active. Hopefully that check should also clarify things

EDIT : mods - I accidentally posted the reply, missed the replies given by others on page 5 (some browser problem here). If my post looks like duplicate of the same information, kindly delete my post. Reporting this post

Last edited by KarthikK : 24th April 2012 at 16:59.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 18:10   #65

Thanks guys. That's helpful. I'll look out for the LZ. Will also ensure to check the features list. Hopefully FIAT won't pass off older vehicles... for their own sake.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:18   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsuresh
Thanks guys. That's helpful. I'll look out for the LZ. Will also ensure to check the features list. Hopefully FIAT won't pass off older vehicles... for their own sake.
Not likely. Remember reading that very few cars were manufactured towards the end of last year, and most dealers had their stocks cleared through heavy discounting. Anyway, as the members above have posted, there are several ways to identify a 2012 car. Plus, the car's VIN is stamped on the floor in the front passenger area and the engine bay. The manufacturing date will be printed on the RC book.
Old 28th April 2012, 11:17   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I'll be driving both the 1.2 and 1.4 soon so will update the thread. Tried this on befunky.
Sid - any follow up on driving the 1.2 and 1.4? Keenly awaiting the impressions... Thanks!
Old 29th May 2012, 20:23   #68
BANNED

Sid any luck with getting the test drive for 1.2 and 1.4.
Old 21st June 2012, 22:42   #69
BHPian

Interesting indeed. I drive a swift ZDI and I test drove the 90HP beast by Fiat recently. I will post my comments on all the cars that I am trying at the moment in a separate thread. I'd just like to add that the Gear ratios of the Punto seem like a pain in B2B traffic initially. However, if you unlearn driving a Swift; there is an upside to shorter gears (1st & 2nd).
Old 11th November 2012, 11:57   #70
BHPian

I have a new problem in my 8 month old Punto 90 HP. As soon as I touch the gas pedal, it immediately moves forward with a sudden thrust and similarly as soon as I take my foot off the pedal, it thrusts backwards.
The clutch pedal assembly and the fuel cut off switch were replaced under warranty by TASS about 3 months ago. However, when I took the car to TASS yesterday; they said it is absolutely normal in a diesel vehicle. I drove a friend's Punto the other night and it behaves very differently. There were no sudden thrusts at either touching the gas pedal or taking my foot off it. Is this something that plagues the 90HP alone?
Old 16th November 2012, 20:12   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor
I have a new problem in my 8 month old Punto 90 HP. As soon as I touch the gas pedal, it immediately moves forward with a sudden thrust and similarly as soon as I take my foot off the pedal, it thrusts backwards.
The clutch pedal assembly and the fuel cut off switch were replaced under warranty by TASS about 3 months ago. However, when I took the car to TASS yesterday; they said it is absolutely normal in a diesel vehicle. I drove a friend's Punto the other night and it behaves very differently. There were no sudden thrusts at either touching the gas pedal or taking my foot off it. Is this something that plagues the 90HP alone?
No, this isn't normal in a 90HP. Intact, the difference between 75HP & 90HP is noticeable only in the top-end i.e speeds above 140kmph.

Do get it checked at TASS as soon as possible.
Old 15th December 2012, 22:06   #72
BHPian

Whats so good looking about this car!!!A Volkswagen Polo or the new i20 is a lot more better looking than this. Even the new swift looks smarter than this vault. Anyway looks are subjective.
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:30   #73
Senior - BHPian

I am offered a MJD Dynamic 75 HP (October 2012 made) at 6.4 Lac Onroad by Fiat Dealership.

I have checked the car and odo reading is 138 km.

Is it worth putting hands on? or should I go for the 2013 model?
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:49   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I am offered a MJD Dynamic 75 HP (October 2012 made) at 6.4 Lac Onroad by Fiat Dealership.

I have checked the car and odo reading is 138 km.

Is it worth putting hands on? or should I go for the 2013 model?
Do go for the 2013 model as this car would have been used for test drives in all possibility. If I am not mistaken, there is an indicator present in FIAT cars which will let you know if the odometer has been tampered with within 200 kms of its first running.
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:53   #75
BANNED

I'm also planning to book 2012 model Emotion, still negotiating the OTR with dealer. Dealer does not have any stock and has metioned to get from factory. What is the offer on Emotion @ Delhi?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks